Kingdom of the Red Rose

By CopperMouflon

There are five thousand and one Grim Reapers responsible for collecting and escorting souls between the two k... More

Introductions
Episode 1 of 62
Episode 2 of 62
Episode 3 of 62
Episode 5 of 62
Episode 6 of 62
Episode 7 of 62
Episode 8 of 62
Episode 9 of 62
Episode 10 of 62
Episode 11 of 62
Episode 12 of 62
Episode 13 of 62
Episode 14 of 62
Episode 15 of 62
Episode 16 of 62
Episode 17 of 62
Episode 18 of 62
Episode 19 of 62
Episode 20 of 62
Episode 21 of 62
Episode 22 of 62
Episode 23 of 62
Episode 24 of 62
Episode 25 of 62
Episode 26 of 62
Episode 27 of 62
Episode 28 of 62
Episode 29 of 62
Episode 30 of 62
Episode 31 of 62
Episode 32 of 62
Episode 33 of 62
Episode 34 of 62
Episode 35 of 62
Episode 36 of 62
Episode 37 of 62
Episode 38 of 62
Episode 39 of 62
Episode 40 of 62
Episode 41 of 62
Episode 42 of 62
Episode 43 of 62
Episode 44 of 62
Episode 45 of 62
Episode 46 of 62
Episode 47 of 62
Episode 48 of 62
Episode 49 of 62
Episode 50 of 62
Episode 51 of 62
Episode 52 of 62
Episode 53 of 62
Episode 54 of 62
Episode 55 of 62
Episode 56 of 62
Episode 57 of 62
Episode 58 of 62
Episode 59 of 62
Episode 60 of 62
Episode 61 of 62
Episode 62 of 62

Episode 4 of 62

25 10 0
By CopperMouflon

This is an ongoing story. If it's your first time reading the novel I suggest you start from Episode 1. If this episode is not where you last left off, then please check the Table of contents of all episodes released so far and find the last episode you read and continue from there.

Kingdom of the Red Rose
(Episode 4 of 62)
Chapter Two: Guardian Angel Nathaniel
(Part 1 of 2)

When Grim Reapers go on a mission, they are always equipped with three things, their weapon, their scroll, and their Soul-Chain.

The weapon's purpose is threefold. First, to allow the Grim Reapers access to their mana, enabling them to perform certain abilities, such as distorting the flow of time. Second, it gives them access to Heaven's central database and allows them to quickly obtain any information they require that will assist them to accomplish their mission. The weapon's third use is, of course, to protect Grim Reapers and provide them with something to strike down Demons in the unlikely event they are attacked by one. Grim Reapers' classification is collectors and escorts, not fighters, but just in case they all receive some basic training.

The weapon has a voice and a name. Both are chosen by the Grim Reaper, but at first it is a subconscious selection. Later, when Grim Reapers learn to control their mana better, they can decide to change it. This is also true when it comes to Grim Reapers' appearances and the types of weapons they use. Their first selection is always an instinctual choice and as they progress in the ways of transformation, they can alter their looks, or their weapon, according to their preferences.

The scroll, at first glance in its original form, seems like an old piece of parchment but it is a lot more than that. Its main function is for Heaven's Council of Twelve to pass orders and missions to all Angels and Grim Reapers. It is also used to reply back to the Council of Twelve with any requests, and for communication between Angels and Grim Reapers; a lot like texting or emailing if you prefer. As with everything else, some Grim Reapers choose to alter the scroll's appearance according to their personal taste.

Last, but not least, is the Soul-Chain. An important, if not the most important tool for a Grim Reaper. A soul without a mortal shell can only be touched by three things; direct contact with another free soul such as an Angel, Demon, or a Grim Reaper; a weapon that is enhanced with mana; and the Soul-Chain.

Running around, trying to capture a soul with your bare hands can prove to be time-consuming and nearly impossible. Using a mana enhanced weapon runs the risk of injuring the souls, which is to be avoided at all costs according to Heaven's rules. The Soul-Chain has a long range and is specially made and enchanted so it cannot hurt the soul but can contain it if tied around it properly.

Griffin had already dragged about twenty souls from the derailed train into the desert of Purgatory, where they awaited their final judgment. The Angels had set up a small temporary base there composed of large white tents, wooden chairs and tables, and a big cage constructed out of Soul-Chains.

Purgatory is an enormous desert with soft golden sand and countless dunes of all shapes and sizes that quickly shift around and change locations on a daily basis depending on the wind. It's easy to get lost in Purgatory as the landscape is never the same two days in a row because of the regular sandstorms. The heat is always unbearable, and it can be dangerous for anyone who wanders around Purgatory unprepared.

Because of the unusual circumstances of this particular mission, the souls were held at the temporary base until the Grim Reapers collected them all. Then the Council of Twelve would pass out orders to escort the souls to their new destination. Everything was going according to plan and according to the Council's information, not a single soul was lost to the Demons.

Griffin had a couple of close encounters, but the Angels always intervened in time and allowed him to collect the soul and escape. Griffin had dropped the soul he was carrying with the rest of them and was about to rush back into the mortal world when Lance crossed into Purgatory with the unconscious and badly wounded body of Dafne in his arms.

"Mana, I need mana here," Lance flew towards the medics' tent.

"Lance, what happened?" Griffin helped Lance place Dafne's body on an empty table.

"Some God damned Demons figured out we used her and Nicolas to slow down time and attacked her from behind while she was releasing mana."

"Wait, wait, they attacked her while she was responsible for slowing down time? That means ..." Griffin looked around and suddenly dozens of Angels appeared into Purgatory, all severely injured.

"The train crushed some of them," Lance grabbed a cup filled with what appeared to be water and tried to pour some down Dafne's throat.

"Who will swap with Nicolas now?" Griffin asked in an elevated voice.

"Don't worry. The Council of Twelve said we've collected most of the souls. They're all accounted for except one. Everyone's searching for it and They hope we will find it before--"

"They hope?" Griffin screamed, forgetting his rank, "I'm going back to help search for the soul."

Lance grabbed Griffin's bony arm and pulled him back. "Every Grim Reaper still able to move and wield their Soul-Chain is out there searching for the soul. The Council instructed everyone who has already crossed over to stay here and tend to the wounded."

"Obviously not all able Grim Reapers are out there searching," Griffin pulled his arm free and faded out of Purgatory and into the mortal world.

"Stubborn kid, he never follows orders." Lance pulled out his scroll and a pen appeared in his hands out of thin air.

'Your newest member has disobeyed me and the Council's orders. He crossed into the mortal world to search for the missing soul.'

The ink was absorbed into the scroll and it turned blank. A minute later Lance's bow vibrated and emitted a burst of green colour. He had a reply from the receiver of his message.

'Got it, I'll keep an eye out for him.

Please don't report his behaviour to the Council. They can't be sure where he was when They issued the order unless you tell Them.

I will have a long talk with Griffin when the mission is over.

Thanks for contacting me first, Lance.'

Lance crumpled the scroll and growled as he finished reading it. "I'll never understand why everyone keeps covering for him. He probably turned out this way because of it," he thought. Lance took a couple of deep breaths, releasing anger and regaining his composure before replying to the message.

'As you wish, Archangel Michael. He is on your team, not mine. But I recommend you stop treating him like a child. That is probably why he has such a hard time following orders.'

Lance was surprised when his bow vibrated again. He never expected Archangel Michael to reply.

'It is not because of how anyone treats him, Lance.

Most likely Griffin constantly disobeys rules because of what he is. And even though you do not know what that is exactly, you know better than anyone that Griffin is not like the rest of you Grim Reapers. That is why he was placed under my command. He is my responsibility, so let me worry about him.

Thanks for informing me first, friend.'

Griffin faded into the mortal world at the railway track. He saw Nicolas inside the tunnel, struggling to release mana and slow down time. Archangel Michael was at the entrance of the tunnel, pushing back and killing any Demon that tried to get to Nicolas. Out of nowhere, a Demon fell at Griffin's feet with a spear through his head. The Demon liquefied and disappeared.

Archangel Gabriel ran up to Griffin and pulled his spear out of the ground. "Did you find the last soul?" his eyes kept searching for more demons.

"No," Griffin replied.

"Then why in God's name are you just standing there? Either go look for it or go back to Purgatory, there are Angels there who require medical attention."

"I'm just trying to figure out where the last soul is, maybe it hasn't detached yet from its body."

"No shit," Gabriel launched his spear towards the tunnel. It ran through the back of a Demon and pinned him to the ground. Michael used his sword to cut the Demon's head off.

"Do you have any idea where the last soul might be?"

"If I did then I would've taken it out of here myself. It's your job to find it. Mine is to kill any Demons I see," Gabriel pulled out his sword and started charging down the slope, going after a Demon that was sniffing around the carriages, looking for souls to steal.

"Griffin, over here," Archangel Michael yelled from the tunnel's entrance and Griffin ran by his side. "Listen, most of the Demons have retreated, but as you know we are missing one soul. The Angels inspected all the carriages and there isn't a body on them that still contains a soul. But somewhere out there is a poor soul struggling to break free from its body. I need you to find it before Nicolas depletes all his mana. If time returns to normal and that soul releases it will start running, and then there is no telling who'll get to it first."

"Has anyone checked the carriage that is still on the railway track?" Griffin asked.

"Duck!" Michael yelled.

Griffin barely managed to bend his knees and lean backwards as Michael's shield went over his head and struck a Demon in the chest, sending him flying out of the tunnel.

"The carriages fell down the mountain, Griffin," Michael quickly took cover behind his shield, making sure he covered Nicolas.

"There's one tipped over on the railway track, just before the bend. It must have broken free from the rest," Griffin dusted his cloak.

"Ah yeah, that one's just storage, nothing but travellers' bags in there. Hey Griffin, what are you doing?" Michael shouted as he realized Griffin was moving away.

"I'm just going to check something out."

"Griffin, we already checked it. You're wasting your time!"

Griffin ignored Michael's shouts and ran towards the single railway carriage that was still on the tracks.

The story continues in:
Kingdom of the Red Rose
(Episode 5 of 62)
Chapter Two: Guardian Angel Nathaniel
(Part 2 of 2)

Click that VOTE button if you've enjoyed this episode and show your support. It really helps me spread the word about my novel and reach more readers.

All comments, feedback, general feelings, notes, or anything else relating to the work are more than welcome. All I ask is that you try and avoid spoilers, so we don't ruin the story for any future readers.

If you don't want to wait for the next update then you can purchase a digital version of the entire story for just €2.99 (euro). The novel is available for sale on Kindle, Apple Books, and the Copper Mouflon online store (visit www.coppermouflon.com) where you can buy a digital version of the book.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13 1 4
As punishment for her past sins, Lia has served for hundreds of years as a reaper. Stripped of her soul and her memories, she exists in the reaper re...
191 65 21
{Book 1} Reapers, ghouls who collect souls for the Grim Reaper, protect humans, both dead and alive, and make sure they die when the time is right, b...
113K 3.8K 70
As a human, I've always wondered what's life after death. It's always there at the back of my mind. Will I ascend to heaven or will I get burnt in he...
17.2K 1.1K 54
*Featured on Fantasy's Dark Fantasy reading list!* ► Book One of the Wings Trilogy This is, by no means, a story for those light of heart. This is...