Episode 4 of 62

This is an ongoing story. If it's your first time reading the novel I suggest you start from Episode 1. If this episode is not where you last left off, then please check the Table of contents of all episodes released so far and find the last episode you read and continue from there.

 If this episode is not where you last left off, then please check the Table of contents of all episodes released so far and find the last episode you read and continue from there

Kingdom of the Red Rose
(Episode 4 of 62)
Chapter Two: Guardian Angel Nathaniel
(Part 1 of 2)

When Grim Reapers go on a mission, they are always equipped with three things, their weapon, their scroll, and their Soul-Chain.

The weapon's purpose is threefold. First, to allow the Grim Reapers access to their mana, enabling them to perform certain abilities, such as distorting the flow of time. Second, it gives them access to Heaven's central database and allows them to quickly obtain any information they require that will assist them to accomplish their mission. The weapon's third use is, of course, to protect Grim Reapers and provide them with something to strike down Demons in the unlikely event they are attacked by one. Grim Reapers' classification is collectors and escorts, not fighters, but just in case they all receive some basic training.

The weapon has a voice and a name. Both are chosen by the Grim Reaper, but at first it is a subconscious selection. Later, when Grim Reapers learn to control their mana better, they can decide to change it. This is also true when it comes to Grim Reapers' appearances and the types of weapons they use. Their first selection is always an instinctual choice and as they progress in the ways of transformation, they can alter their looks, or their weapon, according to their preferences.

The scroll, at first glance in its original form, seems like an old piece of parchment but it is a lot more than that. Its main function is for Heaven's Council of Twelve to pass orders and missions to all Angels and Grim Reapers. It is also used to reply back to the Council of Twelve with any requests, and for communication between Angels and Grim Reapers; a lot like texting or emailing if you prefer. As with everything else, some Grim Reapers choose to alter the scroll's appearance according to their personal taste.

Last, but not least, is the Soul-Chain. An important, if not the most important tool for a Grim Reaper. A soul without a mortal shell can only be touched by three things; direct contact with another free soul such as an Angel, Demon, or a Grim Reaper; a weapon that is enhanced with mana; and the Soul-Chain.

Running around, trying to capture a soul with your bare hands can prove to be time-consuming and nearly impossible. Using a mana enhanced weapon runs the risk of injuring the souls, which is to be avoided at all costs according to Heaven's rules. The Soul-Chain has a long range and is specially made and enchanted so it cannot hurt the soul but can contain it if tied around it properly.

Griffin had already dragged about twenty souls from the derailed train into the desert of Purgatory, where they awaited their final judgment. The Angels had set up a small temporary base there composed of large white tents, wooden chairs and tables, and a big cage constructed out of Soul-Chains.