Royal Obligations

By FictionalCasualtiez

Cordelia doesn't have a last name. She doesn't have a family. And she doesn't have a home. She's been stuck i... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: One Way Ticket
Chapter 2: The Switch
Chapter 3: Assumptions
Chapter 4: Team Cinderella
Chapter 5: To Pull an America Singer
Chapter 6: The Company of Forrest
Chapter 7: Predictable Behavior
Chapter 8: Open Secrets of Cordelia Schreave
Chapter 9: The Secret Dictionary To Affection.
Chapter 10: The America Singer Part Two
Chapter 11: Honest Truths
Chapter 12: The One and Only Lucy Leger
Chapter 13: Forrest's Favorite
Chapter 14: Jealousy
Chapter 15: The Return of Lila
Chapter 16: The Perfect King
Chapter 17: Schizophrenic
Chapter 18: Teamwork Material
Chapter 19: Fatal Truths
Chapter 20: Knight In Shining Armor
Chapter 21: Phase Two
Chapter 22: Frenzy
Chapter 24: Choice(s)
Chapter 25: Dear Lila
Chapter 26: Practice Makes Perfect
Chapter 27: Old Habits
Chapter 28: The Best Part
Chapter 29: Enough Is Never Enough
Chapter 30: Dangerous Territory
Chapter 31: Lost and Found
Chapter 32: To Kill or Be Killed
Chapter 33: One Dead. One Broken.
Chapter 34: The Competition Grows
Chapter 35: His Diabolical Plan
Chapter 36: New Plan
Chapter 37: Team Forrest
Chapter 38: The Mercenaries
Chapter 39: The Ghost In The Mirror
Chapter 40: False Regret
Chapter 41: I Love Him; I Love Him Not
Chapter 42: Chased By A Demon
Chapter 43: You Can Call Me Lila
Chapter 44: Bone Shattering Relief
Chapter 45: Patterns
Chapter 46: One Simple Question
Chapter 47: Honesty Is The Best Policy
Chapter 48: Deaths and Threats
chapter 49: 150 Dresses
Chapter 50: The Coronation
Chapter 51: Walking Dead
Chapter 52: Those Wedding Bells Ring
Epilogue

Chapter 23: The Fall of A Queen

1.4K 71 109
By FictionalCasualtiez

America Singer was proclaimed dead at four fifty-three pm.

She died during the surgery, because the doctors say she was reported in too late.

I stand outside of the hospital wing, as do the other ten girls. We were told a little after the royal family, and were also told to stay where we were.

I couldn't help but look over at Maxon. His blond hair was greying but his eyes were dull where they were once bright. He kept staring at the far wall while Queen Hero attempted at talking to him.

Harlan was talking to Forrest in depth off to the side. I was surprised to see his reaction. I never knew what it was like to lose a family member, or someone close to me. So I also wasn't sure how to handle this situation. The loss that is being endured in this selection was not in my plans.

Forrest looked lost. I've never seen him look that way before, because he always looked like he knew what he was doing.
Apparently not.

I'm guessing Forrest was fed up with whatever Harlan was saying, because he shoved Harlan out of the way and stormed down the hall.

After everything that happened between us, you would think I would be smart enough to leave him be. But something inside me made me want to follow, or at least comfort him.

I glanced over at Victoria who was busy talking to King Everette. The rest of the girls were either crying or nervously staring down at their hands.

I slipped away from the group and the chaos that followed the death of a queen and went to go follow Forrest.

Forrest felt up the walls and I myself was a little uncomfortable. What the hell was he doing?

"I'm looking for a safe room." He grunts like he read my mind. "I know you're there Cordelia, those heels aren't exactly quiet."

I clear my throat and slowly walk over to him. "You do this often?"

He doesn't answer as the sound of a click rattled the silence.

"Ah," Forrest mumbled as he begins to slide into the room. "Go find your boy toy, Cordelia."

Before he can close it I wiggle my way through.

The door shuts and I'm swallowed by darkness. There is a shuffle of feet before a different click fills the silence of the room and a small light shine through the room.

A two bunker bed, supply cabinet, two chairs, and toilet was all that littered the room.

"Cordelia, get out." Forrest says angrily. The light illuminating his face made him seem both angelic and frightening.

"No." I say defiantly. "Do you even know how to get out of here?" I ask and cross my arms.

Forrest breathes heavily and runs a shaking hand through his hair. "Of course I do, I have the key. I'm not an idiot."

"You're acting like one." I point out and Forrest glares at me.

"My grandma just died."

"I know." I say a little softer. "So why are you in here, then? How does this help?"

He ignored me and turns his back. "You weren't supposed to follow me, and you sure as hell are not supposed to be in here with me."

I uncross my arms and play with my fingers, but I still look at him even though his back is to me.

"Forrest-"

"If you say you were worried about me, I will ignore you and I will do what I wanted to do."

"You are so mysterious." I say hauntingly in a dramatic way. "I'm not leaving, and I wasn't going to say I was worried about you." I say with a scoff.

Forrest turns around and narrows his eyes. "Then why are you here?"

"To make sure you don't do anything stupid. You have a little bit of a temper, Forrest." I say.

Forrest rolls his eyes. "I do not."

"Then what were you going to do in here?" I ask.

"None of your business." he argues.

"It must be, because I'm still here." I shoot back.

"Cordelia!" Forrest booms suddenly. "Get OUT. I don't want you here. LEAVE."

Yeah, and he says he doesn't have a temper. "I'm not going anywhere."

Forrest stalks over to one of the lonely wooden chairs in the room. He picks it up before suddenly throwing it against the wall.

I just stand there and watch him, because I've seen him act this way before. I remember the day in the library when he threw a glass vase against a wall to get out his anger.

"You seem to like throwing objects around to relieve yourself." I say pointedly.

"I can't do this anymore." Forrest shakes his head, choosing to ignore me. He walks over to the other chair and places to hands on the back. He picks it up and begins to slam it against the ground.

I would be lying if I said this didn't scare me. The way he was acting only made me see him as a lunatic. But I've noticed, through out all the time I've come to be around him and get to know him, he doesn't do well under certain pressures. It's like he snaps.

The splinters from the chair were cutting his palms and I saw small specs of blood drip to the ground.

"Forrest, how does this help?" I ask and take a steady step closer to him. He pauses but doesn't look up at me. "Does this bring her back?" I say and take another step closer, but I stop when I'm at a far enough distance.

"That doesn't matter." Forrest says in a pained voice, and for the first time in a long time, he looks vulnerable. "Nothing even matters if we are all going to die anyways."

I shake my head. "That makes no sense-"

"Of course it does!" Forrest suddenly screams and I slightly flinch. "She has done so much for this country, so much for this family... Now she's just gone. Nothing stopped her. Nothing helped her." He lets go of the chair and wipes his hands on his pants. He then turns his back to me and slowly walks toward the sink.

"We all die, Forrest." I argue. "That's inevitable."

Forrest turns on the faucet and begins to wash his hands. He takes his time before sucking in a deep breath and turning toward me, the sound of the water no longer filling the room. "I understand that. I know we all die. But she was in her sixties for Christ's sake! It's not like she died of old age-" his voice catches. "I have no one now."

I stare at him in shock. "What the hell are you talking about? Of course you do! You have everyone!" I feel a bit of anger flare up in me, and I'm not sure where it came from.

"She was the only person who understood where I was coming from! Now what do I do? She was supposed to guide me in the right direction. I have no idea where I'm even going anymore!"

"You'll figure it out." I snap.

"It doesn't count." he says more quietly.

I roll my eyes, but more out of frustration. "What doesn't count?"

"You can't have 'someone' if that somebody doesn't understand you. You might as well be alone."

I let out a loud groan. "Forrest! Do you hear yourself right now? You have a brother who loves you, a mother who loves you, and a father who loves you. How is that being alone? You want to know what alone is? Alone is getting dumped at a foster home because your parents were teenagers and couldn't afford to have you! That's what alone is."

"There it is." Forrest mutters.

The way he was staring at me made my breath catch. It was his calculating look... And of course, this entire conversation was just a ploy.

I ball up my hands into fists. "Was that all just a joke? Do you enjoy tormenting me?"

"I'm not trying to torment you." He gives me another calculating look. "But that was the only way I was really going to get something out of you. You say you aren't bitter-"

"I never said I wasn't bitter." I say quietly and look to the ground.

"Yes, you did. You told my brother you weren't." Forrest begins to walk toward me, but I back away.

"Why do you ask these questions?" I plead with him. "You already know the answer. Just leave me alone."

"No, I don't know the answer. Not really." He shakes his head. "Because what you really feel you can't admit. You cover it up with tactics and calculations. Everything is technical with you. And my theory-"

"I don't care about your theory," I spit, but I can back up no further because my back meets the cold wall.

"I'm going to tell you anyway," He says, but his expression isn't calculating anymore. I wasn't sure what it was. "My theory is that you've taught yourself all these speculations and gathered all this information that you are now a robot. But under all those books and plans, Lila is still there."

I laugh bitterly. "Do not call me that."
Forrest stops walking toward me, but it is nothing of relief because we are only inches apart.

"Cordelia isn't the girl you created, because you can't really create a totally different person and become it." Forrest smiles a little bit. "Lila and Cordelia are the same person. Cordelia is just a more developed, and advanced version of Lila."

"I hate you," I try to say in a menacing tone, but it doesn't work. I didn't really have a voice. His theory was not only one of my few fears, but it happened to be the biggest one.

"No you don't," he says softly and shakes his head. Forrest's hand reaches out and cups my cheek. "If you hated me, you wouldn't be here."

I open my mouth to argue, but I had nothing to argue. He had me trapped once again.

Also the fact I didn't have the ability to answer, because he placed his lips on mine.

All thoughts of mine disappeared the moment his tongue slipped into my mouth. Forrest presses me up harder against the wall and deepens the kiss, and I don't argue. Which seems to be a talent of mine. Forrest moans as we continue to press up against each other.

I'm not even sure for how long it goes on, but someone stops. I wasn't exactly sure who but It didn't matter anyway. It's not like I pushed him off.

Forrest and I are both breathing heavily at this point and refuse to take out eyes off each other.

"You didn't pull away." He observes in a quiet voice.

"I guess I didn't."

{A/N}

Hey guys I want to know if I should make this story Mature? I plan on dropping the F bomb in the future and there is some kissing and sex but the sex part is NOT DESCRIPTIVE. It is briefly mentioned or briefly described in a sense (no Fifty Shades of Grey action I promise) This story is still PG-13 but wattpad doesn't let me do that anymore. I just don't want to miss-lead people.

Anywho, I could really use your help?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.6K 365 49
⚠️READ THE SELECTION BOOKS BEFORE ! "Hello, my dear," he whispers. "Don't start," I warn in return, and we're both left smiling. He holds my hands as...
221K 7.4K 47
The Selection Fan Fiction "I, Clarissa Dossen, will never be free from the cage of other people's choices." Clarissa Dossen is a 17 year...
166K 3.3K 97
What if in a parallel universe America never got picked for the Selection? She never went to the palace to win Maxon's heart? If they never met that...
108K 1.2K 29
Completed: What if America didn't find out about her father passing until the morning? What if Maxon didn't hear that crash in the hallway the night...