A Court of Song and Shadow

By haleythespeed

During the first war against Hybern 500 years in the past, the daughter of the night court journeys through t... More

Announcements
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Epilogue
Acknowledgements

Prologue

33.1K 888 557
By haleythespeed

The ground had become a slush of mud and Ice as I ran through the camp.

A grin spread across my face as I heard the camp lords swear in the tent I had just come from, stealing their most valuable weapons. A thrill of adrenaline ran through me as I heard them ordering soldiers to grab me, most of them laugh at me as I ran by; not daring to lay a hand on the High Lord's daughter.

I finally reached my mothers small house and slammed the door behind me, I locked all of the locks and sighed out of relief as I closed my eyes and giggled to myself. It was my first time at an Illyrian camp and this chase was probably the most interesting thing that happened to me here-- or so I thought.

I felt coldness at my neck and slowly opened my eyes to see a boy holding a small sword to my throat, a practice sword-- he would not be able to pierce my skin with it even if he tried. I stopped a smirk from forming and instead acted scared; mother had always told me I could be a performer.

"Who are you?" The boy asked, I observed him, he was still a child--like me but he did not seem much older-- maybe about two years elder to me, and considering I was only 8 meant he must be around 10.

"Who are you?" I asked him, his eyebrows lower in either confusion or frustration as I repeated his question back to him. 

"I do not think she will be much harm to us." Another young boy says from the shadows, I narrowed my violet eyes as he walks out of the corner of the room and looks at me. I notice his wrapped hands--

"What happened to your hands?" I asked bluntly, and it almost seemed like he flinched at the question.

"That is not polite to ask--" The boy holding the sword to my throat said.

"And it is not polite to hold a sword to a girls throat, did your mother not teach you any manners?" I stuck my tongue out at him, and that made the boy in the shadows laugh which brought a smile to my face. Something told me that he did not laugh often. It even made the boy with the sword pause to look back at his friend-- which gave me enough time to twist out of the swords reach, kick the boys' arm so he dropped his silly sword and then tackled him to the floor. I laughed as he struggled to get up from beneath my grip.

"Az! Help me!" The boy beneath me cried out, and I turned to the boy with the wrapped hands and he just raised his eyebrows at me and shrugged. Once I realized they were no longer a threat, I released the boy under me and offered my hand to help him stand up. He slapped it away and said a string of swear words as he stood up.

"Looks like you two finally ran into my daughter." I heard my mothers voice from the doorway--how she got in without me hearing--I had no clue but she hadd a way of sneaking up on others. I smiled as I watched the shock wash over the boys faces.

"More like she tackled into you." My brother walks out from behind my mother with a grin.

"It is not funny, Rhys." The boy I tackled said.

"It is a little bit." The shadow boy said, Az-- is what the other boy called him.

"Sister, meet the bastards our mother has taken under her wing, Cassian--" Rhys pointed to the boy I tackled, "And Azriel." I mockingly curtsied to both of them and Cassian seemed to be irritated even more by that, I let out a soft chuckle. "Brothers, meet my sister-- Velaris."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 4.7K 33
When a face Azriel wished he could forget ends up half dead on the edge of Velaris, questions arise about their dark past. Especially when she posses...
76.7K 2.4K 55
When Rowaelin's daughter Asterin is attacked, she falls into Prythian. Unable to get home, she stays with the night court where she meets Feysand's...
47.9K 1.3K 16
*******SPOILERS****** Takes place after ACOWAR The war with Hybern has ended and the world of Prythian has finally calmed and found peace. The Night...
18.3K 531 20
Dahlia Whitethorn holds no love for Prythian but a bargain with an old friend gives her no choice but to return. With war on the horizon and the Nigh...