Overshadowed

By JaneOvershadowed

A Darklina fanfic following what could have been if Alina made a different choice following her conversation... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

Chapter 3

2.7K 66 1
By JaneOvershadowed

Sitting on the edge of her bed, reflecting on the evening that had passed, Alina lifted her hand to her check covering the echo of Aleksander’s touch.

We can do anything together.

The sound of his voice played through her mind, his softly spoken words and even softer touch. She had wanted more of his touch, of him, but soon after those words had been spoken they were interrupted by yet another knock on the door. A carriage had been stolen during the evening and it was suspected to have been taken by accomplices of the man who had attempted to kill her.

Upon hearing about this Kirigan took no chances, he walked Alina back to her room himself along with a couple of guards. He left them stationed by her door as he went to sweep the Little Palace and grounds to ensure there was no one else remaining, but not before assuring Alina, I won’t let anyone touch you. I promise. The look in his eyes made Alina forget about her own safety and fear for those who might still be on the grounds. She had a feeling that if anyone was found they would never be leaving again.

Alina had never approved of senseless death, had always believed in second chances, but knowing that Kirigan would kill to protect her stirred a feeling deep in her chest that she wasn't familiar with. Unsure if she liked that feeling she focused on the present. Looking around her room she wondered if any of the tunnels she had been in earlier came out in her walls. No point in having guards at the door if anyone could come in secretly.

She took a little solace in the fact that her room was free of the built in shelves present in Kirigan’s room that so easily hid the door. She also couldn’t see any breaks in the light decorative wallpaper which would be a giveaway of an entrance. Regardless she stood and ran her fingers along the full perimeter of the main room and the bathing chamber to see if she could find any gaps.

Past the desk she had sat at pouring her heart on to paper trying to reach Mal. Past her vanity where Genya and her had spent many mornings getting ready, becoming friends. Past the bed where she was always left heating stones, a luxury she would never have imagined would be hers. Past the bath where maids had insulted her Shu heritage.

Returning to her main chamber she sat on the edge of the bed she looked out over her room. No, she looked out over her home. It was not only filled with good memories, but what home was? She was finally where she belonged, where she was welcomed. Well, welcomed by those who mattered.

She allowed a small smile on to her face as she rose again and changed into her night dress. Slipping into the bed she savoured the luxury of the warmth and the feeling of home. She might not fully understand her place, but she may as well enjoy her time here. With those thoughts filling her mind she slowly fell to sleep, knowing tomorrow she would have to come to terms with Kirigan and what that meant for her and her future.

***

Alina awoke in the dark. Confused she brought a small ball of light to her hand. Usually she slept through to morning so she wanted to figure out what woke her. As the light slowly spread across the room she spotted a dark cloaked figure facing the entrance to her room, a few steps away from the door. Clearly interrupted on their exit.

“Aleksander?” She called out softly, “Is that you?” She saw the figure bow their head slightly before lifting it again as they turned to face her.

“I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake you.” The low soft voice of Kirigan spoke as his features came into the light, “I just wanted to check on you and make sure that you were OK after the evening you have had.” A slight smile lifted one corner of his mouth, “Clearly I had no need to worry, sleeping as peacefully as you were.” As he'd been talking he had walked over to the bed, gesturing at the edge he asked, “May I?” Alina nodded her response, moving to sit leaning against the headboard remembering at the last second how little modesty the night dress provided and pulling the blankets around her chin. Kirigan swept his cloak out of the way and sat on the bed. Turning to face Alina, “You called me Aleksander.”

Though not posed as a question, he clearly wanted a response. “Well that is your name.” Alina retorted.

Kirigan chucked lightly, “Yes, it is. But it is a name only those close to me call me by. Even though you decided to stay, I wasn't sure if you still felt right to say it. If you still cared for me.” Alina opened her mouth to say something in response but closed it again. He was right, to call him Aleksander in her sleep addled state when she didn't have time to overthink her response revealed how she felt about him. How learning who he was hadn’t impacted her feelings towards him at all.

Smiling at her lack of response Kirigan reached out and took Alina’s hand in his, “I'll take your silence as an agreement to that.” Studying her eyes he slowly lifted her hand to his mouth and gently pressed his lips to her knuckles with the lightest of kisses. The press of his lips sent sparks along Alina’s arm pulling at her power and raising goosebumps along her fish. After lowering her hand and looking over her face for a moment longer he continued with a laugh, “It’s not often I’m able to render you speechless.”

“It’s not often you sneak into my room in the middle of the night and wake me.” Alina shot back, the spell broken. Is it? remaining unasked in her mind, suddenly self conscious about how she slept and if Kirigan had stopped by and watched her before.

“I'll try not to make a habit of it.” Was Kirigan's reply, but the playful lilt in his voice caused Alina to question the sincerity of those words. “When you're more awake in the morning I would like to hear more about if what you feel for me has changed, but for now know that what I feel for you is as strong as ever before. Goodnight Miss Starkov.”

With those final words he released Alina’s hand, stood up from the bed and walked to the door. His hand was already reaching for the handle before Alina broke through the weight of those words and remembered herself enough to say, “Goodnight, Aleksander.” With a small smile turning her lips.
Kirigan paused in his movements to turn and smile back at Alina, still with the blankets to her chin. A genuine smile that warmed her and filled her with hope for what tomorrow might bring. “I'll send Genya for you in the morning.” He reassured her, then he turned and left the room leaving Alina to wonder if the whole encounter had been a dream. Only the imprint left by Kirigan sitting on the bed assured her it was real.

***

True to Kirigan’s word, Alina had only been awake briefly before there was a light knock at the door and Genya entered the room. Her presence was a welcome distraction to the thoughts already running through Alina’s mind.

“I'm so glad you're OK!” Genya gushed as soon as she had put down her kit, throwing her arms around Alina.

“I am too.” Alina agreed, returning the hug, “But it feels so wrong to be happy about it when Marie died for me.” Breaking apart from the hug Genya moved her hands to Alina’s shoulders.

“Marie knew the risk and was willing to take it. Any of us would be. Yes her loss hurts us all, but your safety is far more important. Only you have the power to control the Fold.” Rubbing Alina’s arms she added, “We can mourn and be relieved at the same time, neither cancels the other.”

“Thank you.” Alina spoke quietly, “You always know what to say." She continued with a smile. Returning the smile, Genya patted Alina’s arms once more before heading to her kit.

“Come, let's get you presentable. You've got training with the General after breakfast.”

“I’m sorry, did you say training with the General?” Alina asked startled, her eyes widening.

“Did I stutter?” Genya asked teasingly, “Yes, with the General. He says you are to continue your combat training with the rest of us but all your training to strengthen your powers will be with him alone from now on.” She slid a sidelong glance at Alina “I don't think he likes to share.”

Alina moved in a stunned silence to the vanity chair and sat down heavily. A breathless “OK" left her lips.

“Oh come now, you can't be so shocked by this.” Said Genya, gathering up Alina’s hair and brushing it out, “You know he's got a special interest in you, this had to happen sooner or later, him training you personally. Who else has the understanding of your power to teach you better?” The statements leaving Genya’s mouth made sense, but Alina knew that Kirigan simply could not let her near Baghra again. She wasn't sure why she hadn't realised that last night, but it surely was the only reason for this. “Besides, I think the General might like to keep some of your skills to himself as you develop them, can't have the whole world knowing exactly what you can do.” Alina nodded in silent agreement.

The rest of the morning passed with idle chatter as Genya finished getting Alina ready and the maids brought up some breakfast to the room. Alina offered little to the conversation as her mind was fixed on one thing, one person, and what was going to happen when she saw him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.7K 1.8K 25
She goes into the Fold to find a way to destroy it. But what she finds there is a beautiful and broken man who will change her life, himself not rema...
165K 6K 34
In order to keep Ravka intact, general Kirigan, the Darkling, must marry. Needless to say, he's not happy about it, but neither is his human bride. 1...
36.4K 923 25
What if Alina and the darkling had gone further the night of the winter fate? What if they weren't interrupted till later? Alina is pregnant when she...
230K 9.6K 56
COMPLETED, liliya was an inferni and one of general kirigan's closest advisors. she was not the conventional soldier, she didn't always listen but ge...