It's Just Ann

By BelWatson

Let's get the facts straight. I am no heroine and I will never bring pride to my family. I am what you could... More

Before Reading!
Prologue: Misplaced Fairy-Tale
Chapter 1 - Meetings
Chapter 3 - Who Could Be
Chapter 4 - Script
Chapter 5 - Advices
Chapter 6 - Casting
Chapter 7 - Last Details
Chapter 8 - Look Down On Me
Chapter 9 - Humiliation
Chapter 10 - Fight Back
Chapter 11 - Awkward
Chapter 12 - Skills
Sick leave
Author's Note
Chapter 13 - Introvert
Chapter 14 - Outing
Excuses
Chapter 15 - Background
Chapter 16 - Friends
Update
Chapter 17 - Cherry Blossoms
Chapter 18 - Overrated
Chapter 19 - Moving On
Chapter 20 - Back Home
Chapter 21 - Soundtrack
Chaptet 22 - Love Story
chapter 23 - Friends Again
Chapter 24 - Joan Maddox
Chapter 25 - Earthquake
Chapter 26 - Seducing
Chapter 27 - Rejection
Chapter 28 - Sweet Friends
apologies!
Chapter 29 - Masochist Heart
Chapter 30 - My Friend Charlie
Chapter 31 - Tales of a Date
Chapter 32 - Happy Birthday
Chapter 33 - Unfair
Chapter 34 - Drunk Habits
Chapter 35 - I'm Sorry
Chapter 36 - Counterattack
Chapter 37 - Worth It
Chapter 38 - Pride
Chapter 39 - Confusing
Chapter 40 - Ganbarimasu
Epilogue - Earned Happy Ending

Chapter 2 - Book Shopping

45K 2.1K 849
By BelWatson

I've decided to get this day off. I need to read this book before the script is ready and according to what Teru told me this morning, the script writers are almost done so tomorrow we should go over it. If I don't read the book for tomorrow then I won't be able to provide a proper input and I'll just accept whatever they do without knowing exactly what they should do. I want a good adaptation of the book.

As a fan of films, I'm aware of the disappointment that fans of the original stories normally feel. It's really hard to please an audience that loves books and the story written there and it is impossible to take a book to the big screen without modifications. A good film of a book, as it is, would be hours and hours just to be accurate. Besides, normally films are about seeing and books get inside the character's minds so it's deeper and more complex. It is not very pleasing to watch a film that is being narrated the whole time; you need to leave the audience to make their own judgment and guessing, especially for those who have not read the book.

Books need to be adapted to fit a timeframe that is limited yet they need to have the essence. Fans of the stories want exactly what they read but that is not possible. That is why it is said that the book is always better, of course it is. Books have no timeframe limit, you can spend hours, days, weeks with it. Books have resources that films cannot make use of.

Nevertheless, I want to produce a film that the readers of the story can feel satisfied with instead of cheated. I want to produce a good adaptation of a great book because I'm sure it must be an amazing one, otherwise Father wouldn't have picked it for a new project.

So that is why I want to read this book, carefully, even if I have to skip all my meals. I'll finish it today, then I'll know what to expect when I read the script.

I follow the directions Sol gave me until I find this bookshop. It's a nice and small one, in an old building and with a lovely display. I notice the Harry Potter books are on the best display and it looks amazing. I've watched all the films, of course, and loved them, but I've never read the books. Maybe I should, they look so lovely there.

I think having books is something beautiful. Sometimes I see pictures of shelves and I wish to have books just to put them in display like that.

Maybe I should consider reading more. Well, I certainly have. And I'll ask advice here on how to organise them. The person in charge even puts things like a little broom or a snitch to decorate the books and it looks amazing. I love it.

So I walk inside knowing why Sol likes this bookshop. I can feel the love for books and the care with which someone must look after them, dusting them and tidying them up.

When I walk inside I find a girl, probably around my age, with long blond curly hair. A feather duster in one hand, a book in the other. She was reading and absentmindedly dusting the shelves with oh so many books. I watch her as I approach, slowly, trying to see what she is reading so focused. I think it's an anatomy book. It's large and it looks heavy, but apparently she's stronger than she looks.

I see her mouthing a word, maybe a complicated one that she has trouble memorising or even pronouncing. I'm sure there are parts in our bodies that were made to challenge our tongues.

"Ugh, I give up!" she mumbles. "Fucking sternocleiwhateveryournameis!" she curses next and I chuckle, alerting her of my presence. She drops the duster and snaps the book closed as she turns around to face me with a bright smile. "I'm so sorry about that, I didn't hear you coming in. I'm so sorry," she apologies, her cheeks blushed and I wave my hand from side to side to dismiss her concern.

"It's okay, no worries. I'm used to startling people. I apparently move too quietly," I say and her expression relaxes, her smile becoming friendlier. "Maybe some ancestor was a ninja or something," I say and she chuckles this time. I smile at her, taking a step closer and she does the same. I notice her eyes are green.

"Welcome to Wuthering Heights," she says and I nod. "I'm Ella, how may I help you?" she asks next.

"I'm Ann," I introduce myself, not because is necessary but because it is polite. "And I'm looking for this book, Typhoon, by Terry McCracken. Do you have it?"

"Oh yeah! I totally love that book. It's really cool. I heard they are making the film," she comments turning around and heading to a different isle. I follow her.

"Ah, yeah," I say chuckling. "In fact, I'm the producer. So I want to read the book to make sure we make something good that makes the book justice," I tell her and she turns around to watch me with wide open eyes and mouth slightly open.

"You're producing it?" she asks and I feel heat in my cheeks. "But you're so young and... and... I'm confused."

I chuckle because that's the normal reaction everyone has when they find out.

"In all honesty, I wasn't supposed to produce this film, but my father had a stroke so I had to take over the company. Do you know of Tachibana Productions?" She nods. "I'm Ann Tachibana, my father is the CEO. I was supposed to inherit the company when I'm older, you know, but well, circumstances."

"How old are you? If you don't mind me asking."

"Seventeen. Turning eighteen this year," I reply and her eyes widen even more, even if I didn't think that was possible.

"Mate, that's incredible. At seventeen and producing a film. And here I thought I was cool for getting into medicine in Oxford," she laughs and now I'm the one with wide eyes.

"Really? Amazing. I would never make it into Oxford. Otousan, I mean, Father, studied there. I was never a clever student," I say shrugging, feeling shame weighing on my shoulders. I wish I could be better so Father would feel proud of me.

"But you're producing a film at seventeen. You're your own kind of amazing, Ann," Ella tells me with a sympathetic smile that I appreciate.

I like this girl, she's joyful and nice.

She turns around and keeps looking for the book. "Anyhow, this book is amazing so if the film is bad, I can find you and make you pay. I'll even bring backup 'cos my best friend Charlie also loves it. You have been warned," she says, kneeling to get a book from the bottom shelf.

"I'll do my best," I promise her when she turns around with the book in her hands and a big smile. "How do you see this book?" I ask her next. "That might help me out."

Ella smiles radiantly before handing me the book. "It's a dystopia, you know, where some people get more affinity with certain element. I really love the concept of the eyes, how these reflect the element they are bonded to. You know what they say, eyes are the windows to our souls so that means the connection to the elements must come from our very core." I nod, taking mental note of all what Ella is saying. "I also like that the people with the same affinity have similarities in personalities. I also like how the author presents the world in which these people help the community. I also like that it's not set in USA, you know? It makes me curious to know how South America really looks like 'cos the landscapes are described amazingly."

"Father's nurse is Chilean, she says the landscapes are breathtaking. She's shown me pictures and I can totally agree," I tell and Ella bits her lower lip.

"I'd love to go. I also like the concept of unity in the whole world, you know? Like that everyone can speak the same language but there's still respect for the old dialects and people can still speak them if they want, to. They are not forced to use only one. I love that there are not really borders. You can go wherever you want, go and live in a another continent without becoming an immigrant because we all have the same nationality. Of course there are protocols and all that, but I like the idea."

"Sounds like a utopia," I tease and she chuckles.

"Exactly. So I love how the books show the truth behind the utopia and how the Element Bound people are being used. I love the resistance and I love that every book is focused on a different character but still, everything follows the same line and all the old characters keep being protagonists. I don't know if you get the idea."

"I do," I reply, finding it even more amazing, understanding why Father decided to buy the rights of this series.

"The first book is about Lana, she is Water Bound. But we also get to know Sasha, the love interest you know, who's Earth Bound, and Rony who's Fire Bound. Rony has the second book, Wildfire and the third book is supposed to be more focused on Sasha, that's Earthquake. We are waiting for that one."

"Who's your favourite character?" I ask, wondering which one will be mine.

"Sasha, I think. He's great. I like his playful nature and down-to-earth attitude. Lana is cool, too, but Sasha stole my heart. Do you know who's gonna play him already?" Ella asks me but I shake my head.

"No, we are still dealing with the details prior shooting. Script, investors and more. The casting will take place in a few days."

"I'm so excited!" Ella giggles. " I really love these books and I can't wait to see what they do with them. It has all this nature thing. My favourite part is when the characters learn to work together and use their affinity together. Like Sasha and Lana working together when they create this mountain covered in snow. I can't wait to see that!"

"Don't give me spoilers!" I laugh and she covers her mouth. "I'll read it today."

"If you wanna discuss it later you can come here. I'd love to have someone else to talk to about it. Charlie and I have talked about it so much already. Oh, he won't believe me when I tell him I met you."

"Tell him I'm great, don't make him worry for the outcome of the book," I request, half-joking, of course.

"No worries," she says winking at me. "I'll tell him the truth, that we have someone who'll make sure to have a good adaptation. And I'll bet you'll become a Bound, too."

"I'm really intrigued to read it. I'll start right away," I tell her and she smiles brightly.

"There's a cafe nearby and it's really great if you're looking for a place to relax and read calmly. Reading with a good cup of tea is a must," Ella mentions and I consider the idea, finding it quite appealing.

"I think I'll go there," I accept and follow her to the counter.

"Amazing. I'll write you the address with the receipt. I hope you enjoy it!"

She checks the book and then I pay for it, waiting for Ella to wrap it and she gives me a bookmark of courtesy.

"Happy reading!" she chirps and I smile at her.

"I'll get on it right away to do a good job later. I surely don't want to bring dishonour on my cow," I joke and ella looks extremely confused. "Internal joke, with myself. Wow, that sounds lame."

Ella laughs out loud. "Thought so. Cows are important," she says and I smile brightly at her. Yeah, I really like this girl. "It was great to meet you, Ann."

"The pleasure was all mine, Ella. I hope to see you soon," I reply waving goodbye and she does the same.

Now I'll go to this caféand read the book. I have a good feeling about it.

_______________________

Yay! Ella has come back and yes, she'll do it again. She'll be like a regular character in this story. Happy? Hehehehe Charlie might also show up ;) Also, as I keep introducing the cast, in the multimedia a picture of Sol (I PICKED A CHILEAN ACTRESS I LIKE <3).

Shout out to @Uniandcorn for the best comment on the previous chapter!

Bel, xx

PS: Updates will be weekly (Sundays) until I finish my other stories and I can focus more on this and Unseen. I invite you to read that story, as well.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.4K 312 48
I was just thinking. I swear. But maybe my mind over thought. It's weird that everything can seem so simple, straight forward. Black and white. Two c...
5 0 10
They took her. That's the last thing that burns in my mind, at least the most important thing that can come to mind. Everyone knew her, she was a sac...
633K 54.5K 60
As someone who's been so pampered to the point of oblivion, I never noticed the similarities with the fairy-tale. Every little girl should see her...
11.9M 295K 42
I was named after the little mermaid, thought to be strong and brave. A name worthy of a princess, my mum used to say. But I didn't trade my voice f...