MANAL

By deey_jah

A few minutes into the walk, I heard footsteps shuffling behind me. I tensed up and halted in my tracks. My h... More

MANAL
1. Manal
2. Manal
3. Manal
4. Manal
5. Manal
6. Manal
7. Manal
8. Manal
9: Manal
10: Manal
11: Manal
12: Manal
13: Manal
14. Manal
15. Manal
16: Manal
17. Manal
18. Manal
19. Manal
20. Manal
21. Jawaad
22. Manal
23. Manal
24. Manal
25. Manal
26. Manal
27. Jawaad
28. Jawaad
29. Manal
30: Manal
31: Manal
32: Manal
33: Manal
34: Jawaad
35: Manal
36: Jawaad
37: Manal
38: Jawaad
39: Manal
40: Manal
41: Jawaad
42: Manal
43: Manal
44: Manal
45: Jawaad
46: Manal
47: Manal
48: Manal
49: Jawaad
50: Manal
51: Manal
52: Manal
53: Manal
54: Jawaad
55: Manal
56: Manal
57: Manal
58: Manal
59: Jawaad
60: Jawaad
61: Manal
62: Manal
63: Jawaad
64: Manal
65: Na'eem
66: Jawaad
67: Jawaad
68: Manal
69; Jawaad
70: Manal
71: Jawaad
72: Jawaad
73: Manal
74: Manal
75: Manal
76: Na'eem
77: Manal
78: Farida
79: Jawaad
Jawaad or Na'eem?
80: Jawaad
81: Manal*
82: Jawaad
83: Manal
85: Jawaad
86: Manal
87: Manal
88: Manal
89: Jawaad
90: Manal
91: Manal
92: Manal
93: Jawaad
94: Manal
95: Manal
96: Manal
97: Hala
98: Manal
99: Jawaad
100: Manal
101: Jawaad & Manal*
Epilogue

84: Manal

1.5K 354 129
By deey_jah

"Farida," I called in a subdued voice.

"Who has been buried?" Farida asked me; her eyes glistening. "Jawaad just sent you a message."

"Farida," I walked up to her and held her arm. "I'm sorry, I couldn't tell you."

She shot me a glare. "Tell me what?"

I felt tears welling up in my eyes. "Your father is late." I swallowed. "He died earli-"

Farida chuckled, humorlessly. "Who? My father? You must be mistaken! Dad can't be dead."

"I'm sorry, Farida." I enveloped her in a hug. "What happened couldn't be helped. Allah knows best. May He grant your father paradise."

Farida pushed me away vigorously. "How comes you're the one telling me about this?"

"Ja-"

"It's not true." She vehemently shook her head. "Dad can't be gone."

"Farida."

"It's not true! It's not true!!" She repeated the words like a mantra. "Jawaad told me it wasn't anything serious." She cried.

"Farida, please-"

"Just leave me alone, Manal!" She yelled. "Leave me!" Farida sat on the floor and rolled herself into a ball.

Although she was pushing me away, I couldn't leave her in that condition. She was in a lot of pain. Her eyes said it all.

I sat beside her on the floor and placed a hand on her shoulder in an attempt to comfort her.

For what seemed like hours, Farida sobbed. I was there to lend her a shoulder, and surprisingly, she didn't push me away.

"I'm going home." Farida sprung up. "I need to be with my family right now."

"You can't go home now." I stood as well. "It's past 7 PM already. Where are you going to get a car?"

"I will call Farouq. He's definitely going to do as I want." She draped her tears with her hand and picked her phone from inside one of her bags. "He won't say no to me."

"No, you can't." I collected the phone from her. "It's too dangerous."

"I don't care!" She cried. "I just want to go home."

"I understand," I said, fighting back tears. The more Farida cried, the more emotional I got. "but you should think about your family. What if something happens to you on the way? How do you expect them to cope with the loss of two members in a day?"

My words seemed to have gotten to her. She sat back on the ground and resumed crying.

Around 10 PM, Aisha and Radiya returned from the library. They were surprised to see Farida in that state, but when I explained to them what happened, they stopped asking questions and joined me in consoling her.

That night, none of us slept a wink.

Very early the next morning, after fajr, Farida packed a few of her belongings and told me she was traveling back home. She didn't take a bath nor change the clothes she had on. Not even a slight makeup on her face. So atypical of Farida.

I tried to convince her to wait till it was no longer dark, but she vehemently refused. She didn't want to hear anything.

I understood her though, but at the same time, I was worried about her safety.

"Is Farouq coming to take you?"

She shook her head.

"Where will you get a car by this time?" I asked, concerned.

"I'm sure I'm going to get." She responded in a low-pitched voice.

Farida's eyes were red and puffy. She looked so disorganized and weak.

"I'll go with you." The words flew from my mouth without me having to think it through. "Let me go with you."

Although she didn't say a word, I knew she would want that.

"I should call Ummi first," I mumbled to myself. I had never traveled without her or Abi's permission. "Please excuse me."

I walked out of the room; my phone in my hand. The screen guard was badly cracked, so I removed and threw it in the bin.

I dialed Ummi's number and fortunately, she picked at the first ring.

"As-salaam Alaikum." Ummi's voice was groggy.

"Wa Alaikum Salam, Ummi," I responded. "Good morning."

"How are you doing?"

"Ummi, Farida just lost her father."

"Innalillahi wa Inna ilaihi raji'un!" She exclaimed. "When did it happen?"

"Yesterday, but Farida just found out a few hours ago. She's been crying non-stop, Ummi. She wants to go home and...and I volunteered to go with her..." My voice trailed. "Can I?"

"Does your father know about this?"

"No, he doesn't. You're the first person I'm telling this to. Dad may not understand, but I know you will. Farida is in a bad shape. She won't be able to travel alone. I want to be there for her."

"Alright." Ummi sighed. "You can do that. I will talk to Habibi on your behalf."

"Really?" I was surprised she gave in so easily. Perhaps it was because it had to do with death. "Thank you so much, Ummi."

"May Allah protect the both of you. I will see you when you get home. Bye." She ended the call.

I went back to the room and straight to my wardrobe, then began to pack a few of my clothes.

In less than ten minutes, I was done.

Radiya collected Farida's duffel bag from her and Aisha, mine.

Fortunately for us, we were able to get a tricycle that took us to the garage.

We met no one there, except for the unions and drivers of course.

Because Farida was in a hurry to go home and I wanted her to have a little privacy, I paid for all expenses and told the driver to take us to Abuja.

Throughout the drive to Abuja, no words were exchanged. Farida cried in silence. I understood what she was going through, so I allowed her. It'd be hypocritical of me to tell her not to cry. The father whom she loved so much was dead and already buried. To top it all, it was hidden from her.

When we were close to our destination, I took Farida's phone and called Farouq, so that he could wait for us at the garage and then take us to Farida's house.

All this while, Farida seemed oblivious to what was happening.

I returned her phone to her bag and tapped her a little on the thigh. "I called Farouq. He's going to pick us."

She nodded and looked away from me.

When we arrived, Farouq was already waiting for us in the garage. He was standing right beside his car. He was the first person I saw when I alighted from the car.

I suddenly recalled how close we used to be until he decided to mess up the friendship we had by using me to make Farida jealous. He was the reason why Farida and I fell out in the first place. He might have done that with no bad intentions, but the result was disastrous. Although I had already forgiven him a long time ago, I still couldn't forget what he did.

He muttered Farida's name and began to walk up to us-to her rather. I could tell because I read his lips.

"Farida," Farouq called when he approached us. He looked at her with so much worry in his eyes. Indisputably, he was feeling her pain.

Farida looked up at him but said nothing.

"Let's go." He led her to his car.

I was left to trail behind. I didn't feel bad about not being acknowledged, because I knew it was not intentional.

Farouq opened the front door of his car, but instead of getting in, Farida opened the backdoor and got in.

I had no idea why she did that.

"Manal," Farouq called, finally acknowledging my presence.

"Good morning." I greeted him.

"Good morning." He greeted back. "Thank you."

Why is he thanking me?

If the situation had permitted it, I would have rolled my eyes at him. I wondered why he felt the need to thank me when it was none of his business. I didn't do what I did for him, and Farida was not his responsibility YET.

Without responding, I walked to the other side of the car and got in.

Farida had her head buried in her laps.

I could tell she was crying again by the way her shoulders were shuddering.

I scooted closer to her and stroked her back, soothingly.

I didn't fail to notice how Farouq kept on staring into the front mirror to catch a glimpse of Farida.

The car screeched to a halt in front of Farida's house and without uttering a single word of appreciation to Farouq, she alighted from the car.

I followed right after.

The house which I had always found empty, was crowded. It almost seemed as if a wedding ceremony was taking place. At every corner of the house, a group of people was seated.

Farida staggered.

I was quick to steady her by holding her arm.

A few people approached Farida to offer their condolences, but she ignored all of them. She grabbed my hand a little too tightly, as we walked into the house.

A few more people tried to talk to her, but again, she paid no heed to them.

Her mother's room was overcrowded with different women. My eyes scanned around for Farida's mum and it finally settled on her.

Farida's mum was seated in the middle of the woman; her head was lowered, but with one look at her, anybody could tell she was in distress.

Farida let go of my hand and pushed through the crowd to meet her mother.

I watched with tearful eyes as Farida embraced her mother and burst out crying.

Her mother who had been silent was now crying out.

I wasn't emotionally strong enough to witness the scene, so I stepped back.

I didn't know where I was going, but I wanted to go as far away as I could from the prying eyes. I ended up in the hallway; my back pressed against a wooden door. I felt a huge lump in my throat, as I stifled a sob. Everything seemed new to me because it was the first time I was present in a house filled with so much grievance.

I let out an abrupt scream as the door I was resting against suddenly open and I lost balance.

I was prepared to hit the floor, but the fall never happened. Instead, I felt an iron-like grip around my waist, and then my gaze fell on the masculine hands.

Startled by the fact that I was in a man's arms, I pushed him with all the strength I could muster and ended up falling on the floor with a loud thud.

Pain surged through my elbows, as I had fallen on them. I winced in pain.

My eyes opened to Jawaad's surprised face. His swollen eyes were a bit dilated.

I recoiled in embarrassment. The scenario reminded me of the time Farida and I went to register for the joint admission matriculation board examinations and Jawaad was waiting for her. At that time, I had a massive crush on him. I started catwalking for him to notice and like me, but I ended up falling flat on my face.

How embarrassing!

"Manal?" Jawaad's voice brought me back to the present. "Are you alright?" He knelt beside me and attempted to help me get on my feet.

"I'm okay." I lied. I tried to get up by I ended up almost falling again.

On impulse, Jawaad held me before I could fall.

I peeled his hand from me and moved away.

He walked closer, and I moved farther away.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't know anyone was there." He started with an apology.

It wasn't my intention to look at him, but when I got a glimpse of his face, I couldn't look elsewhere right away. Just like Farida's, his eyes were red and puffy. I reckoned he was mourning the death of his father, locked up in his room.

I felt a pang in my heart. I disliked seeing people in pain.

I didn't fail to notice that despite looking so disheveled, his beauty had still not diminished. His eyes were shimmering. I could practically see myself in them.

"Are you hurt?"

I shook my head. I hoped he hadn't noticed me gawking at him. I fiddled with the hem of my hijab, uneasy. I wanted to offer my condolences, but I didn't know how to go about it.

"How comes you're here?"

I couldn't quite comprehend his question. "I didn't know it's your room."

"Aren't you supposed to be in school?" He rephrased.

Oh!

"I...came with Farida," I responded.

"I s-"

"Ab-"

Because we spoke simultaneously, we had to cut each other off.

I waited for him to speak, but when he didn't, I took that as my cue to proceed. "About your father's death, I'm sorry about your loss. May Allah forgive and grant him paradise. In Sha Allah, he is in a better place."

"Ameen." He replied. "Summa Ameen. Jazaak Allah khairan. (May Allah reward you with goodness) Thanks for everything."

Listening to Jawaad, he sounded so different from the Jawaad I used to know. He was no longer egotistical.

I hummed my response. "I should leave now." There was something about the way he was staring at me. It made me feel uncomfortable.

I was almost out of the room, when he spoke, making me stop.

"Are you leaving?"

I didn't plan to leave so soon, but after the incident with him, I wanted to go as far away from him as possible, even though it'd be for a while.

I didn't want the love I had for him to resurface and if I stayed any longer, I feared it would happen. The sadness in his heart awakened the compassion in me. I couldn't overlook it.

"Yes." My reply was curt.

"I will drop you off at your house."

"No!" I was quick to decline. "I will go on my own."

"It's fine by me." He probed.

But it's not by me.

"If you can leave your classes behind and accompany Farida back here, then the least I can do is give you a ride back to your house. I don't mind. This is me showing appreciation."

"I..." My voice trailed. I was unsure if I should consent to his offer. "Need to go somewhere first. I'm not going home right now."

"That's fine too. I will take you there then. I was on my way to my house to pick up a few stuff."

Not because I wanted, but because it would seem as though I was avoiding him, I had to give in. The last thing I wanted, was for him to think I was still affected by him.

It felt strange-extremely strange being alone with Jawaad in his car. It made me recall the first time I was alone in his car with him. It was the night of Farida's eighteenth birthday party when some irresponsible boys tried to take advantage of me.

Thinking about it now, I realized he had saved my life that night...

I snapped out of my reverie when he pulled over.

I was surprised to discover that we had reached my house. I was even more surprised that he still remembered the road to my house.

I mentally face-palmed when I recalled telling him at their house that I was going somewhere else.

"Thank you."

"Manal," he called before I could alight from the car. "Can we talk?"

I froze.

There was something altruistic about the way he called my name. It almost seemed as if the misanthropic Jawaad was gone for good. "What do you want to talk to me about?"

"I won't ask you why you've not been picking my calls, because I get it. I want to begin by apologizing to you. I know I have done this before, but right now, it's from the depths of my soul. The past few days have served as an eye-opener to me. I can now see what mum and Farida see in you."

I didn't know what his intention was, but his last sentence sent a dagger piercing through my heart. To my understanding, his sentence meant he never saw the good in me.

He continued; "I know we didn't start off on the right foot, but moving forward, I promise to rectify all of the mistakes I have made."

What does he mean by that sentence?

As salamu 'Alaykum/hello!

Long chapter 🗣️🗣️🗣️ This is specifically for those of you complaining 💀❤️

Did you enjoy this chapter?

What do you think Jawaad's intention is? 🧐

Do you trust him?

What advice do you have to give Manal? 😅

Jawaad or Manal's POV for the next chapter? (I'm going to make a poll on Instagram. The majority takes the vote. Handle: @deey_jah

Don't forget to vote, comment and share ❤️

deey_jah
❤️❤️❤️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.5K 893 49
♡He calms her chaos and she fuel his fire that's why they are a match made between heaven and hell♡ "For me, going to New York is my dream. There I w...
92.7K 8.5K 63
"Kassauni, there is more to life than continuous pain and suffering. I am sure you know that, and no one is asking you to go through it alone," She t...
111K 14.2K 104
Everyone has that one life changing moment, That moment defines you. It shapes who you are as a person, and pushes you down the path that leads to th...
15.9K 748 53
As two souls together intertwined And as two guarded hearts turned blind, What started off as hate, later served as a bind And now for them, all the...