Patience of a Gordon

By TalatheWolf

The future is shifting, and humans are willing to do whatever it takes for the power to remain on their side... More

Copyright
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
A Thank You
Chapter Seventeen
Writing Contest
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One (Kai and Prince Gordon)
Holiday Chapter
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Almost finished
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Epilogue
Alternate Beginning
Twenty Facts
What Happens Next

Chapter Nine

9.6K 631 165
By TalatheWolf

Thank you guys for being super patient with me; I love each of you for it!!!

Chapter Nine

I could hear the water tapping at the bottom of the shower before gathering together and swirling down the drain. Then, the next spray of water would collect and repeat the same steps.

The closed bathroom door dulled the sound, but it was still audible and relaxing to me. It reminded me of Sundays when I would take a cleansing shower before going out into the village to aid the cubs in their learning. It would result in a tranquil day and that's how this one was beginning.

There was a short series of knocks on the door before I found myself getting up to answer it. When I did, it was a pair of deep green eyes that brought a smile to my face.

"Goodmorning, päästja. What do you have planned for us today?" I asked happily, watching a small smile of his own form.

"Thank you, Ivy, and good morning to you as well. Unfortunately, I have cancelled today's plans because of an unexpected family matter. We will begin again tomorrow," he explained and worry settled in as I opened the door further.

"Is everything okay?" I asked, thinking no one deserved to lose a loved one.

He nodded, calming my wild thoughts. "It is only the crass choices of a sibling. If he would realize there is more to life than its risks, we would not have this problem so often," he said lightly, not a sign of worry in his eyes.

"You have quite the family, Prince Gordon," I murmured, amazed he wasn't sick with fear. It had to be a common thing, these 'family matters', or perhaps he wasn't as close to his family as I had been to mine.

"That is an understatement," he said with a soft laugh before his face grew just as soft. "You need to stay within the castle walls, as I cannot control my people while I am away. If you do not, I will truly have something to worry about."

I felt a light smile on my face, something in me glowing. His words were sweet, different from Kai's, although he had said the same thing multiple times. "I can take care of myself, Cayne but thank you for your concern," I teased and he gave me a smile.

"I do not doubt that for a second," Prince Gordon said. He pressed his lips to my hand, those green eyes on me as he did so before someone told him they should leave soon. We said parting words and I couldn't help but feel disappointed.

It was alarming how fast I was becoming comfortable with Prince Gordon. The more I spoke to him, the more fond of him I became. He was a good, pure-hearted person, better than most.

I think I enjoyed his company so much because he saw me as an equal of sorts. I wasn't treated like a mate that wasn't allowed to make her own decisions. I was treated as someone with her own abilities and responsibilities. I was treated as a person.

My thoughts were scattered the moment the bathroom door opened. Steam rushed out to escape, blurring his body, but did nothing to hide the fact that the only thing he had wrapped around his waist was a black towel.

"I forgot my clothes on the bed, südame," he started, but his words evaporated when he saw me staring at him, taking him in.

His dark hair was still wet, slick with the water that occasionally fell to the floor. His eyes were as bright as ever, fixated on me the way a predator might look at its prey before devouring it. Water droplets were travelling down the planes on his hardened chest, collecting near his waist, where the towel began.

"Right here," I whispered, my voice sounding weaker than I had intended. I had to turn away, my cheeks warming up at the direction my thoughts were turning.

His feet padded across the floor, stopping at the foot of the bed. Instincts told me to turn around, but I resisted them. I allowed my body to coil against itself as I studied the hardwood floor.

I felt the bed dip as he leaned close to me, his lips tickling my ear. "Is something wrong, südame?" He asked and I shivered, my eyes closing as I kept myself from leaning towards him.

"No," I lied, my voice cracking at the one word. He laughed, warm air swirling around me before he pressed his lips to my ear and leaned away. I could finally relax my body and did just that.

"I heard the Prince at the door. What does he have in store for us today?" Kai asked, his voice muffled. I could still hear the bitterness and frowned.

"He has other things to do, so it's just us for the day," I replied, turning when Kai finally sat on the bed beside me.

I found myself reaching up and running my hands through his hair, feeding the itch that had only grown since he first stepped in the room. His eyes closed as he leaned into my hand, his lips easily finding it.

His eyes suddenly opened and met mine. "Did you say it was just us?" He asked, a genuine smile on his face.

I narrowed my eyes but laughed as I pulled away. "Don't you dare get any ideas," I tried, but it was useless. I may as well have been silent.

He was quick to pull me against him and roll us over on the bed, my body sensitive to his weight pressed against me. His mouth lowered to my neck, lightly gripping the skin between his teeth and I gasped at the pressure.

"I remember my mate promising me a mating ritual," he whispered in my ear, his lips finding their path right back to my neck.

I gripped his hair and pulled back until I could see his eyes and he was far away enough that I could think clearly. "You and I both know I said after all this," I replied softly, my fingers smoothing the thin skin above his eyes.

"Ivy," he said quietly, his voice pleading me. I knew if I gave into him now, he wouldn't listen to a word Prince Gordon said. We would never get a thing done.

"If we at least complete the ritual I won't worry so much about the Prince. I won't have to worry about him taking what's mine," he explained and I laughed lightly, sparking anger in his eyes.

He pulled away and said, "You find it funny that I'm threatened? I'm being serious Ivy."

I sat up, my smile not fading as I quickly explained myself. "You have no one to be threatened by, Kai. You're the only person I've ever considered mating with." After a moment I added, more quietly, "I've told you that before."

His eyes flickered before all the anger washed out of them, leaving behind a soft look. "It's hard for me to remember that sometimes," was all he said before we descended into silence.

It wasn't long before Kai crawled on the bed and sat in front of me, lifting my chin so I could see his face. "What do you want to do, südame?" He asked, his eyes searching mine.

"I'm a little hungry," I confessed after thinking about it for a moment. It was already time for lunch but I had yet to eat.

Kai's eyes brightened as he said, "I know just the place we can get food. We can walk around the little village for a while before getting whatever we want. I've been told all of it is fresh. I'll make us an early dinner that we can eat together in here."

I opened my mouth to tell him we weren't supposed to leave but paused in thought. Instead, I asked him something else. "How'd you hear about the village? Did one of your instructors tell you?"

Kai paused as he pulled out money from the nightstand. "No, I don't speak to them unless it's to answer their questions," he said, not hiding the fact my first question wasn't answered.

I got off the bed, crossing my arms. "Then who told you? It surely wasn't Prince Gordon since you can't stand to look at him without the desire to tear his throat out. Martin and the guards want nothing to do with us. So who does that leave?" I asked, not realizing how harshly the words were coming out.

"The girls from the ballroom told me about the village when I told them about ours. They said it was as close to home-" Kai's words trailed off and turned into a frown at my expression.

"Ivy-"

"Let me get this right," I started, clicking my tongue out of anger. "You're allowed to familiarize yourself with other females, even share our personal life with them, but I can't even speak with the Prince?"

Kai's frown deepened as he said, "That's diff-"

"Different how? Because you're a male and can't help it?" I snapped, cutting Kai off once again when he tried backpedaling.

"Forget it, Kai. Take your dinner and offer it to those sireenides. I hope they enjoy it," I said before I whirled out the room.

I entered the one next door and locked it, my heart pounding as I slid to the floor and looked up at the ceiling. Alone, I came to the realization that I had overreacted. But for the first time in my life, my future with Kai wasn't steady.

There were never any wanderers within the leap. Everyone was happy with their mate, as they each chose one another. While I hadn't chosen Kai, I knew I would be happy with him. Kai made his choice obvious, which kept other females from trying to pursue him. Doing so could result in severe punishment.

Being the future leader, Kai was free to chase after all the leopardesses he pleased until we completed our mating ritual. I thought, even expected, that he would enjoy the freedom, but he never took advantage of it.

Not once had he given anyone the same attention he gave me. It wasn't until now when I was in danger of losing it, that I was grateful for it.

Here, there were a variety of women, each more beautiful than the last. They were enchanting, despite the fact they were human. And Kai was devastatingly handsome, more so than he realized. There would be females trailing after him, whether out of love or lust.

Jealousy wasn't something I ever experienced until now. It was an ugly trait, capable of consuming everything in sight if you didn't catch it soon enough.

The doorknob twisted left and right, catching my attention. I glanced at it for a second but didn't unlock it.

"Ivy, open the door. You know how much I worry when I can't reach you," he said and quietly added, "please," when nothing happened.

I stood up and unlocked the door, only opening it an inch. Kai didn't look pleased by it, but he also didn't press it.

"I don't want to end up here alone when you find someone who's willing to give you everything you want right now," I whispered and Kai's hand reached through the small opening and found my cheek, gently running his thumb over it.

"I would never leave you alone, don't you know that? If I were to leave, I would be leaving my entire life," he said softly. his words wrapping around me.

"I'm sorry," I said, opening the door and instantly finding myself in his arms.

"My heart is safely locked within you and I couldn't take it back even if I attempted to. I belong to you, my süda, no one else," he said fiercely.

In that moment, my fears were swept away and calmed by the truth ringing in his voice.

[Südame - my heart]

[Süda - heart]

[Sireenides - sirens]

[Päästja - savior]

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13 1 2
For twenty-eight years, werewolf, Still Waters's life was a carefully maintained house of cards. Born the daughter of an alpha, as a toddler, Still w...
18.1K 166 12
Finding Dorinda (Said as Door-ring-da, but fast!) is about a girl who looses her mum to a car crash but gains three brother and a father in the proce...
1.9K 28 12
Somewhere in the north an army of Hybrids, a lethal combination of Shifter and Vampire, was being created. An army with an ability to shift between a...
261 25 26
"We're living ghosts with superpowers fighting a supernatural war that has been predicated since the beginning of time. Yeah, I'd say this is on the...