A Heart's Desire (Book 1)

Per JadeDragon24

Evangeline Gray just wants to find her mate, like any werewolf, but after a cruel twist of fate, she decides... Més

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30

Chapter 3

434 28 0
Per JadeDragon24

As we continue this long journey, I am beginning to wonder if driving a car is something I should be doing with a cranky she-wolf in the passenger seat and a headache pounding at my temple - especially when we had to go five hours out of our way to avoid the Crimson Edge and Sanguis Silence Packs.

We arrive in southern Louisiana and drive through miles of swamp, which had an eerie beauty to it. I could actually see the appeal in living here, unlike Sienna, who seemed bored of looking at the scenery out the window of the car. We followed the navigation until we came to a driveway beside the road, which seemed like forever to get to. We have to park there since you had to walk the rest of the way in. The directions told us to walk over a wooden bridge and down a dirt path. The wooden bridge off to the side seemed like it is going to snake through the swamp. Snake funny I thought. There are probably plenty of those here.

Sienna seems uneasy about walking on the wooden bridge, but she doesn't have much choice. We cross over the bridge mentioned in our directions. It is a simple bridge made of wooden planks that looked like they were worn from the hot, humid Louisiana weather and age. It wound through luscious greenery dotted with yellow flowers. I'm sure it looked like this due to what some would think is the somewhat oppressive weather in southern Louisiana, which I find somewhat similar to home - so it only bothers me slightly.

The path isn't so bad, even the alligators and snakes didn't seem to rattle me much. They are both just creatures like I am, and they aren't bothering me at all. So twenty minutes of traveling on the wooden walkway gave way to a dirt path that looked like it went for miles with trees creating an intricate canopy above it.

Of course we don't get to see much because of the welcoming party we received. Six guys came up quickly from the surrounding trees. By the looks of them they are warriors, especially with the scowls on their faces, but looks can be deceiving.

"I hoped they remembered the old adage, "Don't shoot the messenger." I mutter to my cousin, Sienna.

"Don't shoot the messenger? How about don't shoot the messengers? I'm not about to die after traveling to give this message to the Alpha." Sienna whines.

This guy came leisurely strolling up to us with 5 or 6 guys with him. Some guy, shorter than most in skinny jeans, a black fitted shirt came strolling up behind the warriors. His white hair styled, for this weather - styled? Beta Julian, I assume from the descriptions that were sent before we left on our little adventure.

"Would you guys relax! No shooting the lovely ladies...at least take them out to dinner first." Beta Julian calls out, shooing away the warriors with a smirk on his face.

All leave but this cute, curly haired guy with a dark complexion, looking to be around 16 or 17.

"Is there a problem Brazil?" Julian calls out to the guy. Brazil interesting name. I think.

"No sir." This kid, Brazil replies, but he stays almost rooted in his place.

Julian notices and turns to him with a smirk. "Do you want to take one of these lovely ladies out to dinner?"

"Noo sir." He stutters as he rushes away.

"Do you always have this effect on guys?" Julian questions me.

"Do I have that effect on you?" I shot back.

"Maybe. Maybe not. I haven't decided if I will take you to dinner first or later." He counters.

Sienna and I just roll our eyes at this pretty boy who thinks he is all that.

"So you must be the infamous Beta Julian." I scoff.

"That would be me." Julian grins, winking at both of us.

"I've seen better." Sienna interjects, rolling her eyes again.

"Hey you can't deny this body." Julian counters, while trailing his hands down his body. Now it is my turn to roll my eyes. I have seen better. My wolf chuckles in amusement.

"Now who are you and what are you doing on our pack lands - not that I'm complaining." He ends with a wink. Seriously? Is this guy serious? He's a Beta for crying out loud. Can't he keep things strictly business when needed? My wolf comments irritated by this guy.

"Evangeline Gray and Sienna Gray from the Silver Tide Pack in Northwest Florida. Here with an important message only for Alpha Scarlett Blackrose." I return with formality fitting for the occasion.

"Fine, follow me." He responds with a little annoyance in his voice and turns leading us down the dirt path.

After what seems like forever and passing what I'm sure is the training area, we approach a black, wrought iron gate that wraps around the huge pack house. The gate itself stands at least twelve feet tall, with sharp arrow-shaped points on top. Julian opens the gate and swings the gate open for us to enter in front of the pack house.

The pack house is beautiful, reminiscent of the many estates that once doted this area - Greek columns and all.

A copper sign with black engraving, the words' Blackrose House 'sits in large letters, with the phrase 'Welcome Friends, But Foes Beware' underneath it in smaller writing.

Noticing that I had read the cooper sign, Julian remarks, "Someone recently stated, 'That's a pretty clear message.', and I couldn't agree more - You?"

"It definitely leaves an impression to anyone who isn't welcomed here." I respond.

"Luckily you guys are welcomed here, or I might have to feed you to the gators." Julian teases.

"I'll feed you to the gators if you're not careful." I retort.

"Well no reason for that. We are friends here, or more. Right?" Julian smirks with a wink.

"Maybe. Maybe not. I haven't decided if I will take you to dinner first or later." I repeat his line from earlier, before we enter the pack house. This got an amused smile from Beta Julian.

The inside is quite impressive and seems to match the feel of the exterior. I walk into a grand foyer with a marble floor and gold and white walls that looked aged from years of being there. There is a staircase covered in red velvet in the center with its gold and wood rails that continued to give this place a historic look. A crystal chandelier lights the staircase that leads up to the second floor.

As we topped the stairs we are greeted by a beautiful woman with ivory skin and black hair. She is wearing black skinny jeans, a burgundy sleeveless top and black biker boots - which seemed to fit her personality. Her smoky gray and burgundy eyeshadow seemed to set off her reddish brown eyes. She seems to be about 5'6" since she is just a little shorter than I am, but that took nothing away from the power that radiated off of her. This must be Alpha Scarlett Blackrose.

"I am Alpha Scarlett Blackrose, welcome to Blackrose Swamp. Who might you two be?" She greets.

"This is Sienna Gray and I am Evangeline Gray, but you can call me Eva." I respond while both of us bowed our heads in respect.

"No need to be so formal. Please follow me, I'll show you to my office." She adds, waving off the formality, and turns walking in the other direction.

We follow behind her as she seems to walk effortlessly and with grace. Something that must be due to the fact that she is a werewolf/vampire hybrid like Julian. Making our way up another flight of stairs, we arrive at large doors. We walk into her office and she sits behind her desk ready to start our meeting.

"Don't mind Noir, he hates everyone...except me of course. But as long as you don't bother him, he'll leave you alone...mostly." She comments as she pushed the black cat over just a bit, and he finally jumps onto the top shelf of a bookcase into a bed. He growls at Julian. Good cat.

"That'll be all Julian. Go on, you have to train with our new Gamma." Scarlett says pointedly, smirking a bit at his defeated expression.

"What a shame, I is hoping to spend a little time with our lovely guests. Maybe next time ladies..." Julian strolls out, closing the door behind him.

"Why would you make a flirt like him your Beta?" I ask curious about her motivation.

"Believe it or not, he doesn't follow through with any of the flirting. I promise, he'll flirt with you and tease you back if you flirt with him, but the second you offer to have a little 'midnight rendezvous', he'll resort to a stuttering mess trying to explain to you that he didn't mean it...it's quite hilarious." Scarlett explains.

"Seriously? Then why the act?" I ask.

She rolls her eyes and chuckles before continuing. "He's happy to let people see him as a flirtatious playboy, but everyone in the pack knows he's waiting for his mate...besides, this is the position he would've had if he hadn't been kicked out of his old pack for being half vampire."

"Interesting. I might have to have fun with that later." I smirk and Scarlett just returned the same mischievous look I had. Sienna just rolls her eyes at my antics. Might as well have fun while we were here.

"So let's get down to business. What is this message that is so important that you had to travel 300 miles to deliver it to me in person?" She asks.

"Other than to just get away? The Crimson Edge Pack has formed an alliance with the Sanguis Silence Pack." I start to tell her.

"This can't be good." She ponders almost to herself.

"No, the alliance is for the purpose of taking over other packs for power and for land. Since you have a large amount of land here in southern Louisiana, which isn't too far from the pack lands of the Sanguis Silence Pack, you are one of their targets. Although, goddess forbid they try and attack you." I continue.

"That may be a true statement, but it doesn't mean that we don't have room for improvements. I know who you are and who your mother is. Would you like to do some training with our pack for a while to help improve their skills?" Scarlett inquires.

"Sure I have nothing better to do. I got rejected by someone who says they loved me, so I left the university and made Sienna here tag along with me on a much needed adventure." I add.

"I'm sorry you got rejected. I know how that feels, but I can't say that I am not glad that I got rejected. It has made me a better person and a strong leader. However, it has also shown me other's compassion and has sparked a fire within me to give a home to those who wouldn't ordinarily have one." She says with pride, and she deserves to be this way.

"So I like the sign out front." I remark.

"A week ago you would have met someone that sign applies to, especially applies." She replies sharply.

"Really? May I asked who would have gotten on your bad side?" I question.

She sighs before responding.

"My ex-mate, Alpha Stephan of Shadow Mist, the one that rejected me and threw me out of his territory to die by the hands of rogues." She responds flatly, but I could detect a sharpness to her voice.

"Well I know how rejection feels." I mumble. Sienna sits quietly next to me not wanting to enter this conversation. She knows how much Isaiah's rejection has hurt me.

"And what is his reason for throwing you away? Not because you weren't good enough to be his mate, I assume?" She probes accusingly at my mate's reason for rejection.

"No the opposite actually. There have been threats placed against whoever ended up being his future mate for the last six months. He wanted to spare me - the clueless asshole! He forgot who he is dealing with." I comment harshly.

"And what pack is he from?" She continues.

"The Crimson Edge Pack." I chuckle.

"Well I guess I'm glad he did now. I like you better as an ally than a foe." She points out.

"Ally huh? I like the sound of that." As I place a faint smile on my lips.

"I hate to cut this meeting short, but I have some matters to attend to." As she looks down at a ringing phone. Actually she is glaring at it. I wouldn't want to be the person on the other end of that phone conversation.

"That is perfectly alright. I know how there are more Alpha duties in a day than its length."

"There is a front room with some comfortable couches and TV if you want to relax while everyone is finishing training."

"That would be lovely." I express as Sienna and I get up to leave the office.

With that we concluded our meeting and went down to the front room to watch some TV and relax. This is going to be an interesting start to my vacation away from the likes of Isaiah Newport.

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

295K 11.2K 19
***COMPLETE*** Evangeline hated her life from the minute she was rejected. Little did she know that her life would take a turn for the better. Evange...
429 31 19
Leah Grace makes it to Chicago and lives with Mary Wins goes to school and also finds a secret from the past and also comes face to face with her par...
220K 6K 25
Evangeline Parks was many things. Werewolf, daughter, future alpha of the Blue Moon Pack. But, a mate is something Evangeline is not. So what happens...
33K 2.1K 39
SEQUEL TO: Throw Me to the Wolves FOLLOWED BY: Embracing the Wolves As if Ryder and Ashlynn needed any more trouble, Zander Ramon returns to Tyriette...