Secrets of a Southern Belle

By _haileyyk

Everyone has secrets that they keep. The town of Darling is full of them, and the townspeople will do anythin... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 41

Chapter 40

1.4K 55 2
By _haileyyk

Life can be unfair. Sometimes it can just pour down on you, surrounding you with hurricanes that can turn your life upside down. It can also be filled with miracles that absolutely change your life and perspective. Other times, life can teach you lessons. It can open your mind to things you never once would understand.

One thing I will still never understand is why Austin, who just turned eighteen, is being lowered six feet deep into the ground while my best friend is trying to hold herself together.

That's unfair. It's also very short of a miracle.

Today is Austin's funeral, and today we all watched our good friend be put to rest while it literally poured on us.

All he had was us and his dad, who also like Austin, was put into the ground after what happened last week. Despite that, I know that with all of us here, there was enough love to make up for the lack of family, especially since none of us knew how his home life really was. If we did, then maybe we would have had a clue sooner that Austin had trauma that could trigger being a Vargulf. I know that thought haunts us all.

As I threw a fistful of dirt into his final resting place, I thought about the events that took place last week. Every night since then, nightmares have plagued me, mostly of the looks on my friends' and familys' faces. That night was full of tragedy, and Austin wasn't the only one to lose his life. Mr. Bedford wasn't lucky either. Two days ago was his funeral. This was Wesley's second one he's been to this week. I'm not sure how he's able to be strong through all of this—losing his "dad" and best friend the same day.

At least he has his mom, Jason, Rhett, and of course, his friends.

The day after Mr. Bedford died, Frankie thought it would be best if Wesley stayed permanently with Jason. She wanted to make sure that Wesley would learn full control and not end up like Austin. Wesley agreed. He didn't want that to happen either.

Two miracles did happen though.

My mom got my dad back. That's something that I never thought that I would see, yet I stand here watching my dad holding my mom close to him as she throws a fistful of dirt down the hole.

The town doesn't know about my dad, and we want to keep it that way, so Austin's funeral was held at the private cemetery on the back on Jason's property that's usually reserved for their pack members. Jason thought that even though Austin wasn't a part of his pack, he was still a wolf and what he became wasn't his fault. We all wish we could have helped him.

My dad is still going to live over on Jason's property too, otherwise his reappearance would attract attention and unwanted questions. It's better to keep werewolves a secret from the town. My mom decided to stay with him on the weekends, and we agreed to have dinner over there every Wednesday night.
As soon as we graduate, my mom wants to move in with him. She wanted to sooner, and Sawyer and I agreed, but she has to find a job outside of town until the shop is repaired from the attack.

Seeing her smile again every time she sees him, is everything. Last week was a nightmare, but seeing my mom happy again is a beacon of light.

As I stared at Parker, who was filling the rest of the hole, I felt a hand squeeze my shoulder. It startled me, causing me to flinch.

"Sorry, Rae." Gigi gave me an apologetic look. "I didn't mean to scare you. I was just checkin' to see how you were doin'."

I sighed and glanced over at my mom, who was talking to Wesley and Sawyer with my dad before answering. "I'm fine." As fine as one can be after what happened.

Gigi followed my line of sight. "Mhmm. What's all that then?" Her mouth went into a thin line and she cocked her head towards my parents.

"What?" This lady knows everything.

"You know what, sugar. What's goin' on?"

I shut my eyes for a second, trying to keep the emotion from pouring out of my eyes. "I just... We didn't get along much before.  She probably hates me now."

"Why on Earth.."

"Because," I interrupted. "I knew dad was alive and didn't tell her. I kept that from her while she was still mournin' him. I spent time with him while she was still missin' him. I feel so...guilty."

Gigi let out a big sigh before pulling me into a hug. "Your mom could never hate you. I'm sure she understands why you guys kept it from her. She's just happy to have him back."

"I am," my mom spoke from behind me. My mom stood there with her hand in my dad's. I pulled away from Gigi.

"Werewolf hearin'." My dad tapped his ear.

"Oh.."

My mom stepped towards me. "Rae.. I don't hate you. I'm not mad at you either. I know that y'all thought that it would keep me safe. I'm just happy to have him back now. If anythin', I'm mad at him."

"Hey!" My dad's head snapped towards my mom.

She laughed. "Why did you get yourself turned into a werewolf for?"

"Like I had a choice in that matter, honey," my dad mumbled.

My mom turned back towards me and then gave me a hug. She whispered into my ear, "I could never hate you. I know we bicker to high heaven, but I do love you."

Tears fell down my cheek as I squeezed her tighter. I got the closure I needed.  "I love you too, mom."

She pulled away and wiped the tears from her eyes. "Now that is settled, I think that someone wants to talk to you." She turned her attention to behind me.

Rhett's green eyes bore into mine. His hair was west from the drizzle, sticking to his forehead, and his black, button-up shirt was clinging to his body.

Gigi handed me an umbrella. "We will be inside the house." My parents were already walking away.

I nodded and walked over to Rhett, sharing my umbrella with him.

He glanced up and smirked. "I think it's a little to late for that."

I laughed and looked over his wet body. "Probably."

He was quiet for a few moments and then his face turned more serious. "How have you been? I haven't seen you since..." he trailed off.

I knew what he was referring to. I've been with Molly the last week, helping her get through this. "I'm okay."

"What about Molly?"

"She's gettin' better." I looked over at her and Savannah. Savannah was hugging her as Molly cried next to the grave. "I can't imagine what she's feelin'. She really cared for him. He was the first boy she ever loved..."

"Losin' someone you love is one of the worst pains you can feel. When I lost my mom, I—," he paused and took a breath. "I was a mess for a long time. It's not somethin' I would wish on anyone. But, I had the pack and my dad to help me. She's lucky to have that with y'all too. It's goin' to be hard, but it gets easier with time."

I grabbed his hand and stared into his eyes. "She has that with you too, you know. Your pack just got a little bigger.  Well, at least until graduation."

Rhett let out a breathy laugh. "Lucky me."

"Yeah, lucky you," I agreed with a smile. I tucked a strand of wet hair behind my ear.

Rhett reached up and tucked the other side. His hand lingered there for a few moments until he leaned in and ever so softly, met my lips with his. They brushed against mine, sending butterflies through my body. It was only a few seconds, but it felt longer, and when he pulled away, I was left breathless.

His eyes were now glowing. "You truly don't know how lucky I am, Rae Haywood. You're somethin' else."

I know my cheeks were turning red, so I looked away. He tilted my chin to look at him again, and it was like all the sound besides my heartbeat dissipated.

That's when I knew that Rhett was the first boy  that I ever loved. Not Wesley, him. This wasn't some school boy crush or infatuation. The connection with Rhett is real—supernatural.

"I mean it, darlin'."

I smiled before closing the space between us, causing butterflies to wreak havoc again.

I never would have thought that I would be here with Rhett. Life has been full of surprises. Some bad, but many good. It has taught me that through all the darkness, there's a moon and there's stars to light a way. For me, seeing Rhett in the parking lot that one day was a path that led me to him and to my family, and I'm so grateful for that.

I'm also grateful for the second miracle that would come the next day.

•••
A/N:

I know I left you guys hanging! I'm sorry! One more chapter left I think, unless the one turns into two. I'm so excited to finally finish it for you guys! Thank you for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

446K 12.7K 89
"Naughty Rose, trying to get started without us, tell us what you want baby," I cooed at her. "I want all of you right now. I want to be rid of my vi...
38.8K 6K 31
Bad boy supreme Caleb Dawson crashes into Amy Irvine's world as a spectre that no one can see, hear, or touch, unleashing a chain of events beyond he...
42.5K 1.5K 54
Indigo Murray; the girl everyone thinks is an outcast. The girl who has a penchant for getting in trouble and being punished. The girl who is the sec...