The Proposed Marriage

By remixthestory

/BOOK 2 - PROPOSAL SERIES/ -- Starting fresh, starting new is never easy. Not when you leave a major part of... More

❥ Copyright & Characters
❥ Prologue
❥ 1. Hiraeth
❥ 2. Smultronställe
❥ 3. Anam Cara
❥ 4. Hülya
❥ 5. Orenda
❥ 6. Scintilla
❥ 7. Komorebi
❥ 8. Anodyne
❥ 9. Minutiae
❥ 10. Marmoris
❥ 11. Serendipity
❥ 13. Inchaote
❥ 14. Ramé
❥ 15. Immure
❥ 16. Dormiveglia
❥ 17. Puissance
❥ 18. Haimish
❥ 19. Flōrentis
❥ 20. Asawa
❥ 21. Brontide
❥ 22. Morii
❥ 23. luftmensch
❥ 24. Aporia
❥ 25. Frore
❥ 26. Parastin
❥ 27. Moed
❥ 28. Procellous
❥ 29. Hellion
❥ 30. Toska
❥ 31. Tacenda
❥ 32. Oneirodynia
❥ 33. Souris
❥ 34. Attrahent
❥ 35. Lucesco
❥ 36. Kalon
❥ 37. Boketto
❥ 38. Tyyneys
❥ 39. Mizpaho
❥ 40. Rakuyou
❥ 41. Neomemenia
❥ 42. Ominous
❥ 43. Verticordious
❥ 44. Elide
❥ 45. Zemblanity
❥ 46. Hävitys
❥ 47. Dolent
❥ 48.Còsagach
❥ 49. Ukiyo
❥ 50. Sayonee
❥ 51. Juggernaut
❥ 52. Affrap
❥ 53. Kärsiä
❥ 54. Crudêl
❥ 54. Cruor
❥ 55. Brumous
❥ Epilogue

❥ 12. Phosphenes

2.8K 203 7
By remixthestory

Phosphenes (noun)

The colors or stars you see when you rub your eyes.

♡♡

"Orange Rolls" Mahira answered, placing the newly baked tray of cinnamon-orange flavored Roll style pastries featuring a delicious orange marmalade filling. The fluff glaze spread equally on the top was enough to make anyone's mouth water.

"Oh goodness, This looks so yum" Daisy swooned at the sight of it. "Why do you have to make all these when I'm working Girl? Have some pity on my poor heart"

Mahira chuckled at her overreacting. "You can have a piece" She leaned to her a little to reach her ear level "A secret between us"

The beaming smile Daisy passed her made Mahira shake her head at her in amusement.

"Girls" Asha called for them from the outside. Mahira removed her apron and folded it, keeping it on the chair before picking up the tray and walking out.

She placed the tray on the second rack of the display table and rubbed her hands to remove invisible dust.

"Another Experiment" Asha stated, sighing in defeat as Mahira passed her a guilty smile. "Don't know why I let you have my kitchen on Fridays"

"Because it's good for business" Devika pointed and Asha narrowed her eyes in fake anger "What? Aai you know she bakes delicious stuff. Last month those blueberry cupcakes were best sellers. Mr. Kihotra still asks for them every single time. And Puneet...." She took a dramatic pause "He makes me come here Every Friday just for her handmade treats. My husband loves her cooking more than me and...What? Stop giving those knowing smiles I'm not jealous, Not a single Bit"

Asha nodded sarcastically "Ofcourse Gudu, You aren't"

Mahira clamped her lips shut to stop the brimming smile seeing The Mother-daughter banter. Her eyes snapped to her phone which brightened for a second as if someone called but it wasn't ringing.

She waved the thought, deciding to cut out the pieces of her tray which seemed to cool now. She picked the cutter knife out and started chopping the pieces properly, in equal parts.

"Mahi" Asha's concerned voice made her look up at her. "Is Everything okay ?"

Mahira frowned in confusion "Yeah. Why do you ask Aunty ?"

Asha's eyes took something at her back, eyes studying someone. Mahira tried glancing back but halted at her words.

"You sure? Why is he sitting there and not at his regular table ?"

"Who are you talking to..." Mahira froze seeing the very man who she walked away from and haven't met for the last few days.

2 days, 16 hours 23 minutes, 15 seconds to be exact.

He sat at the other side of the café, Shina taking his order nearly touching his arm.

Mahira felt a jolt of anger passing herself as he smiled at whatever Shina said to him, making her giggle.

"Hey! Easy there" Daisy cautioned at her back.

Mahira's eyes snapped to the piece of cake which looked withered, the bread crushed and squeezed because of the knife force.

"S...Sorry" Mahira stuttered, leaving the rest of the cake and passing it to the short-heightened girl, Daisy to handle.
She quickly wiped her hands on the kitchen towel and turned fully to look at her back.

Shina walked towards the counter, rattling the orders, and huffed glancing at her back, to him.

"He is waiting for someone else today" She gritted Looking at  Mahira, her eyes showing sympathy and...pity.

Mahira averted her eyes away and turned on her heels.

"I just hope not his girlfriend"

She heard Shina whining to Daisy. She reached her table, picked up the papers, and arranged them in her bag, attempting to leave. She doffed everything in her bag, stealing glances at him who seemed to be busy on his phone, not once looking for her or towards this table.

"Not taking this home ?" Asha asked halting Mahira in her actions.

She shook her head with a grim line.
"I don't like an orange"

"Then why you make this ?" She inquired.

"Orange, I'll have that"

"As ice cream?" Mahira mused.

He shrugged "Yeah, I like the flavor"

"Just like this" She muttered picking her bag and phone from the table, turning to walk when Asha grabbed her arm, halting her steps.

"Not talking leads to misunderstandings Mahi, Clear it out with him. Tell him how his words affected you that day, Why you reacted that way. Explain your reasons to him" Asha began.

Mahira shuffled on her feet, staring at the tiled floor.

She touched her cheek making her lookup. "Man hardly talks Mahi, If he does that then you should feel lucky. It's okay to be scared but walking out is not a solution every time"

"He didn't come here for the last 2 days and now when he comes, he is sitting so far away" Mahira complained, eyeing the said man who still doesn't look at her.

"Then cover that distance, Take steps forward, towards him" She advised "Go and talk Mahi"

She took her bag away and tipped her chin to walk to him.

Mahira heaved a deep breath, walking to his table, His face blank and black eyes fixed on his phone as his fingers vigorously typed on the screen.

He looked no less than a model walking straight out of a photoshoot in his Charcoal Black suit. His first two buttons were undone.

"Hii" She called for his attention and his back stiffed, sensing her presence and recognizing her voice.

"Mahira" His smile was strained and cold.

Mahira felt her throat parched and she gulped "You...haven't been here for 2 days now"

"Work was keeping me busy and some other things"

Mahira nodded slowly. Her eyes roamed everywhere but not him.

"I..that day I.."

“Did I keep you waiting?” A feminine voice made Mahira stop speaking. The woman in her classy business suit looked straight out of a magazine. Her black hairs chopped to her shoulder, straight as sleek. The maroon blouse fitted as well loose at all right places. “oh, am I disturbing?”

“This is…”

“I just came here to say Hii.” Mahira cut him off, giving a soft smile to the other lady.

She spun on her heels, ignoring him, feeling his intense eyes on her back. She walked straight to the table, clutching the seat hard.

“I bet she’s the girlfriend.”

“That’s the none of our business Shina”

She could hear them from the place, Daisy shooing Shina to another table. Unable to stand there anymore, she picked up her bag and ran out of the café, as if the demons chased her.

The walls seemed to close on her as she gasped for air outside. Her figure slumped on the side of the café, inside the alley. Her knees buckled not having the strength to bear her weight. She cupped her face between her palms resting them between her knees as she balled herself. Her eyes stung painfully and her lips trembled but not a single tear rolled down, her body seemed to be tired and her feet numb.

She sat like that for as long as her legs felt numb, giving them the needed rest until she had to get up and walk back. She was thankful for the shade as the rain started pouring. The noise of pitter-patter overpowered the voices in her head. She stared at the road as every drop touched the ground, losing its existence in the mud and dust.

She placed her cheek on her knees, staring at the open sky which cried on her behalf until it couldn't anymore. She stood straight, not caring about dusting her clothes, she packed her things and walked out of the shaded Alley.

She walked back to Hostel, her head hung low. She didn't look up to face the world, not even the eyes which trailed down her tired figure.

She stepped inside the hostel, an eerie silence blanketing the atmosphere. She could hear hushed whispers Passing the maze. Feeling eyes on her, she quickly ascended the stairs and walked to her door.

The voice flowing curses and things dropping on the floor made her frown. She pushed the door open to see Neha angrily doffing her things in the suitcase. Packed boxes lay on the floor on the side and Her guitar was placed in the half-zipped cover.

She stared at them apprehensively. Her brain was numb to words.

"You're here"

Mahira's eyes snapped to Neha - her eyes were bloodshot with unveiled anger and her face heated

"I'm leaving" Neha announced in a grim tone and Mahira's brows furrowed more.

She opened her mouth to speak but was beaten to it.

"I and Veena fought" Neha sighed and walked towards her, holding her by her shoulders "I'm leaving Mahi. I can't stay here anymore with that buffalo"

"You..."

"I was supposed to leave next week otherwise also so what if I leave now? Mahi Look I'm sorry for dropping this on you so suddenly but I have to go" Neha said it all, her hands dropped as she walked to her bed, now empty. She zipped her bag and picked her one other box.

Mahira took a shaky breath. "Where will you go ?"

Neha looked over her shoulder "I have asked a friend to pick me up"

Mahira nodded at the information, taking weak, staggering steps inside.

"You need help ?" She asked lowly seeing Neha struggling with boxes, receiving a positive nod she walked to the box, deciding to help.

Once everything was loaded in the car bonnet, Neha's Friend closed it for them.

"Thank you" Neha pulled Mahira in a tight hug "I do idiot things in anger Mahi, I hope you'll forgive me for this"

"Bye," Mahira bit her trembling lip to stretch in a fake smile.

She stepped back from her seeing the man she introduced as Vinay, helping her inside the car. Neha looked at her one last time before climbing the passenger seat and in a minute the car rushed passed her.

Her feet carried her back inside the door and upstairs as her eyes felt painful as they kept staring, unblinking and hard. Her hands closed the door, latching it.

She leaned at the closed door, her eyes losing strength, so as her body. She slumped and her knees buckled for the second time in mere two hours.

"Mishti, I have a surprise"

"You little snake..."

"I'm sorry Mahi"

"Where are you hiding Darling? You can't run away from me"

"I'm on my way home. Baba is coming"

"You good for nothing snake..."

"She's no more Mahi"

"I can find you easily, Mishti"

Her lungs clenched, her chest heaving for air as her trembling hands cupped her neck. She felt as if someone was choking her. She shivered vigorously, her eyes widened hearing all the past voices in the space. They only came in her nightmares but now she could see all the things and people happening in front of her eyes.

Going against her mind, she willed her eyes to close. Her heart dropped and her insides squeezed as she fall to the floor, gasping for breath. She closed her ears to end the voices. They were roaring inside her brain and her heart was skipping beats.

Ring

Someone was calling her but she didn't have the power to get up, she couldn't move an inch. The thumps got loud and stronger. Her palms Tightened around her ears, she could feel the blood inside her mouth from clenching her lower lip hard.

Ring

Her eyes clenched tighter, she could see the stars and lights but the roaring darkness made her shudder. Her legs came closer and she balled herself hugging closer.

The phone now stopped so as other voices inside her head, she could feel herself falling, falling into the darkness where no little glimpse of lights could be seen, only a pair of eyes.

Midnight Black eyes.

The next morning, Mahira jerked awake from the clatters around the floor. She felt her muscles stiff and soar. She sat straight on the floor, searching around as all the memories came back to her, All of them.

She winced feeling her bruised lips. Her fingers touched her lower lip which was wounded and swollen from her torture.

Using the wall she stood up from the floor, her palms holding onto the door. She walked to the cupboard and pulled her clothes to shower, it was Saturday, which means she'll stay in Spesh the whole day.

"You can vacate too"

" I have a room free. You are welcome to come Mahi."

She shook her head to erase the words walking out and straight to the washroom. The stalls were full. Girls spend their own sweet time in front of the mirror.

A girl walked out of the shower and Mahira took it as a cue to walk in, She looked at the dirty after-shower washroom in disgust. Arranging her clothes on the hooks and placing her bag of toiletries on the side, she decided to clean the space first and then use it.

After an hour, Mahira picked up her cell phone, thankful that it was still a 20% charge as she had forgotten to connect it to the charger last night. She touched the fingerprint sensor and brought the phone screen awake.

7 Missed Calls.

4 Messages.

She clicked on messages.

Asha Aunty: When did you leave?

Neha: I have reached.
             I'm sorry Mahi :'(

She took a deep breath and texted back to Asha Aunty, leaving Neha on seen.

Next, she clicked on the List of Missed Calls.

She ignored the unknown number which had called her only once. Next was Asha Aunty, she had called once and another was Daisy. Then the 2 belonged to Neha and the last 2 to Vandita.

Her thumb hovered on Vandita's name, she took a breath and clicked waiting for her to pick up.

"Hey Mahi. Where have you been ?"  The cheerful voice lifted Mahira's spirits.

"My phone...it was on silent and I slept early. Sorry" Last part wasn't a lie.

"No worries Sweet. I was wondering if we could have dinner Yesterday but now what about Lunch? I just came back from this photoshoot in Lonavala and I was so much gossip. I need my people" She heard her chuckling at the other side.

"V" Mahira called and she immediately sobered another side. "Were...were you serious about your apartment ?"

"Yes, Mahi I was very serious. Please tell me it's a Yes and you're going to live with me. Please please" She begged and Mahira gave up.

"Yes, I want to leave this place"

The excited squeal from Vandita Nair made Mahira drop on her bed, taking calming breaths.

"When do you want to shift? Next week? yes, let's do it next week." Vandita decided on her behalf and Mahira felt herself agreeing to it.

Once Vandita Nair announced and gushed about how excited she was to have Mahira share her place and decide around on the shifting details, She hanged up telling Mahira to start packing and offering her a leave from work today, which Mahira denied.

She went to Veena and explained her part and her response was ugly glares and scoffs. She made Mahira pay the rent for the next month as well as she didn't give her a 2-week prior notice.

Mahira agreed, she didn't wish to stay here, not alone in the room where she won't be able to breathe calmly as well.

She paid whatever dues were remaining and told her about leaving in a week. She didn't go to the maze as she didn't feel hungry for breakfast.
She walked out of the front gates, hiding her eyes from the blaring sunlight using her palm. She blinked a few times to adjust the brightness seen in front.

Her steps halted and her heart dropped, She rubbed her eyes to make sure she wasn't dreaming about the figure leaning against the hood of a black car. The man looked straight at her, eyes covered in black sunglasses.
He stood straight seeing her as if he was waiting for her to show up.

Her feet didn't move and it must be a fact that he realized it too as he crossed the distance between them.
His strong strides brought him near her, standing in front of her. Their toes nearly touched and her breaths were hijacked by his cologne.

Mahira took a step back but his hand shot to her wrist pulling her closer, closer than they have ever been.

"Twice I have let you walk away from me Mahira Bose, There won't be a third time."

DO VOTE, COMMENT & SHARE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.9K 1.7K 14
BOOK ONE OF THE SUGAR AND SWEET SERIES Vanya Sharma hated marriages. Growing up seeing troubled and failed marriages carved a bitter spot in her hear...
304K 6.6K 45
"Mom, I don't know what the heck I'm doing... I'm going to marry my sister's fiancé," I said, tears streaming down my face. "We can't do anything, be...
3.1M 139K 57
Romance Ranking: #1 on 05/09/17 #2 on 07/08/17 #3 on 06/08/17 ----------- My phone fell down with a loud thud and he trapped me to the headboard of o...
238K 17.1K 48
"Why the hell did you kidnap me? I will never marry your shameless cousin. You asshole! What made yo.." I was cut off by the finger on my lips by my...