Complete Me (Book Three of Th...

By hmmcghee

Rose Kirkland recently lost the man she most admired. She isn't ready for her life to change, but she begins... More

Complete Me: Chapter 1
Complete Me: Chapter 2
Complete Me: Chapter 3
Complete Me: Chapter 4
Complete Me: Chapter 5
Complete Me: Chapter 6
Complete Me: Chapter 7
Complete Me: Chapter 8
Complete Me: Chapter 9
Complete Me: Chapter 10
Complete Me: Chapter 11
Complete Me: Chapter 12
Complete Me: Chapter 13
Complete Me: Chapter 15
Complete Me: Chapter 16
Complete Me: Chapter 17
Complete Me: Chapter 18
Complete Me: Chapter 19
Complete Me: Chapter 20
Complete Me: Chapter 21
Complete Me: Chapter 22
Complete Me: Chapter 23
Complete Me: Chapter 24
Complete Me: Chapter 25
Complete Me: Chapter 26
Complete Me: Chapter 27
Complete Me: Chapter 28
Complete Me: Chapter 29
Complete Me: Chapter 30
Complete Me: Chapter 31
Complete Me: Chapter 32
Complete Me: Chapter 33
Complete Me: Chapter 34
Complete Me: Chapter 35
Complete Me: Chapter 36
Complete Me: Chapter 37
Complete Me: Chapter 38
Complete Me: Chapter 39
Complete Me: Chapter 40
Complete Me: Chapter 41
Complete Me: Chapter 42
Complete Me: Chapter 43
Complete Me: Chapter 44
Complete Me: Chapter 45 (Final)

Complete Me: Chapter 14

1.6K 133 14
By hmmcghee

Chapter 14

Rose eyed her sister with dread. "Violet...I promised you, I did not tell anyone about Benson. I didn't want to hurt you, and it happened so long ago. Can't we get past this?"

"Oh, I've been over Benson Martin since that night," Violet said.

"Then why are you so angry with me?"

Violet threw her hands in the air. "Jesus, Rose. Sometimes I wonder how we could possibly be sisters."

Rose drew in a breath. "That's a harsh thing to say, Violet."

She laughed. "But it's true. You know it is. We are so completely different. I don't think I've ever been as naive as you."

Rose straightened. "Not understanding a person's anger doesn't make me naive. And I've always known we were different."

"But that doesn't stop everyone from wanting us to be the same," Violet said. "Or rather, wanting me to be like you."

"That's ridiculous, Violet," Rose said. "No one ever said anything of the sort."

"Oh, yeah?" her sister challenged. Then she changed her voice, alternating between mimicking their father's voice and their mother's. "'Violet, stop acting like that. Rose never acts like that.' 'You are not wearing that, young lady. Why can't you wear a pretty little dress like Rose?' 'You'd get an A in Biology, Violet, if you studied like Rose.' Honestly, if I have to hear one more 'like Rose', I think I will scream."

Glancing down, Rose replied, "It wasn't that bad, Violet."

"Wasn't that bad? Wasn't that bad?!"

An epic Violet Tantrum approached. Rose braced herself.

Violet stomped around the kitchen. "From the moment we were born, Rose, you've been following me around. Doing everything better. Even being born! Do you remember that story, Rose? Do you? How you came out after me, sweet and quiet, just staring up at everyone. You even smiled."

Rose kept her head down as her sister ranted...hiding the smile she worked very hard to keep invisible now. Yeah, her parents loved to tell of that day. Baby Violet had screamed for hours. There had been nothing wrong with her, other than being unhappy about everything. Whereas Rose had been content to just be.

"Oh, and it didn't stop there, did it?" Violet continued. "Mom tried to put us in separate cribs when we got home, but then you cried and wouldn't be quiet until she put you in with me. One baby crying was a lot better than two, huh? Then years went by, me just wanting to play and have fun, and you hanging onto my coat tails the whole time."

She paused by the kitchen sink, looking out the window. In a softer voice, she said, "After Josie moved to Memphis, I finally got my own room, my own space. I started piano lessons first, and then you begged to take them, too, and of course, you were better. I ended up blowing into a horn for the next eight years. You got the better grades, whereas I had to listen to my teachers constantly comparing us. Constantly trying to put us in the same neat, little package. Always thinking that we should be alike, just because we're twins. I chopped off my hair to show everyone that we are not the same person. You were the pretty one, the smart one, the sweet one — everyone loves you — and I am your complete opposite...that quintessential black sheep."

Raising her head, Rose blinked at her sister. "That's not true, Violet. You're outspoken and clever and brave. You're the one everyone is drawn to. You attract all the attention."

"I force the attention on me," Violet said, turning around to face her sister. "I have to."

Rose stood up and walked across the room to her. "Violet..."

Violet moved away. "The last thing I want right now is your pity."

Stopping in the middle of the kitchen, Rose said, "I have never pitied you. I have always respected you. You are my sister, Violet. I love you."

"Yes, well...everyone loves you more."

Pursing her lips with reproach, Rose said, "That is not true. Why would you say something like that?"

Violet whirled around and put her hands on her hips, facing Rose head on. "Because I don't recall Daddy or Jak chasing off any of my boyfriends."

That caused Rose to frown severely. "What do you mean?"

Violet rolled her eyes. "Surely, you can't be that clueless, Rose. Daddy made sure all the boys stayed away from you...until you entered junior high and high school, and then Jak was happy to keep track of things. They're the reason Ethan Lowe backed out as your date for the homecoming dance, and why Hudson what's-his-name dumped you in the middle of that piano recital. They said you needed to be protected; the guys would only use you; you were too good for them."

Having difficulty catching her breath, Rose whispered, "Wh-what?"

"Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about," Violet said. "Daddy and Jak weren't that discreet about it."

But she didn't know. Yet, in a way, it made sense. Their father and brother weren't very tactful in their opinions of Rose and Violet dating. There had been many arguments in the Kirkland household between Daddy and Violet on that very subject. And since Rose wasn't as popular as Violet in the social status, there had been comparisons between the two daughters. Rose remembered her father saying, "I don't know what I would do if both of them acted like that." He'd been talking about Violet's behavior, about her having a different boyfriend every couple of months, about going out on school nights, about her throwing tantrums when she didn't get her way, and then, of course, doing things her way anyway.

But Rose never considered that her lack of dates had been because of Daddy and Jak. She just figured she wasn't interesting enough to ask out.

Throat dry, and clenching her skirt in her fingers, Rose asked, "Charlie Dorset in seventh grade?"

Violet squinted her eyes. "Is that the one who kept calling you every night at nine o'clock?"

"Yes."

Violet laughed. "Daddy kindly explained to him that if he wanted to live to see fourteen and hair on his chest, he would stop calling you. Jak reiterated that thought the next day at school, and I'm sure Zack had a few words to say on the matter. Zack was another one, but he had different reasons, of course."

Rose didn't find any of this funny, yet Violet seemed amused. "How many?"

"How many what?" Violet asked in return.

"How many times did they interfere without my knowledge?"

"Oh..." Violet's humor calmed. "Dozens of times. You really didn't know this?"

"No."

Violet stared at her. "Well...shit. I'm sorry, Rose. I thought you were just going along with it all because you're such a good-doer. Didn't want to stir the pot, and all that."

"No," Rose said again. "I have never liked people interfering into my life, but I'm not as loud about it."

"Maybe you should have been," Violet said.

"Like you said, 'One baby crying was better than two'," Rose said as walked around the kitchen. Her heart thundered with outrage as she considered what had happened behind her back for years. Then a thought drifted slowly, but heavily through her mind. "What about college?" she asked quietly. The one night she spent with a man came back to her...and the days afterward when she'd suddenly become invisible.

"What about college?" Violet repeated.

"There was...a guy...," Rose began, but she was unable to finish. Her sister eyed her curiously.

"Did you sleep with him?"

Rose swallowed and tasted bitterness. "Yes."

"Knocked on your door, stole your cherry pie and didn't bother to stick around to help do the dishes?"

"Basically...yeah," Rose said. She sat down at the table again.

Violet snorted. "I don't know anything about that one, but it sounds like you were just a victim of the College Jerk. It happens."

Rose looked up at her. "Did it happen to you?"

An acrid smile etched on Violet's mouth. "I've learned to spot the Jerks before they see me. I was usually the friend knocking on the Jerk's door with a baseball bat."

Jealousy hit Rose. "I wish you'd been there...to do that for me," she said quietly. "I could have used a best friend. It hurt, Violet...what he did."

Violet joined her at the table. "I always thought Daddy and Jak had done you a disservice. Girls need to stand up for themselves. But I guess they thought you couldn't. I always thought there was a Rosie the Riveter lying quietly under all that temperance and modesty. You've never been afraid to work hard, and you're always so damn nice and polite."

Rose blinked at her sister. "You...you complimented me."

Again, her sister snorted, but she smiled at Rose. "Don't let it go to your head, sis. You still irritate me."

"I don't know why... The last thing I've ever wanted to do was upset you."

Violet sighed. "What has always upset me, Rose, was that everyone accepts you the way you are, but they just can't acknowledge I'm the way I am. We're different. I couldn't be sweet and silent if I tried."

"I like you loud and bossy," Rose said.

"Thank you," Violet said with a grin. "I rather enjoy it myself." Then Violet pursed her lips and sighed. "You know Benson only kissed you to win a hundred bucks."

Rose blinked. "What?"

"Yeah...there was a standing bet that year, between a bunch of his buddies. They all pooled their money, and anyone who could kiss us both won. I didn't find out until school started up again after that summer."

That infamous Kirkland temper hit Rose in the gut. It was always there, but Rose usually kept it tamped down. It didn't stay down this time. She jumped to her feet, staring down at her sister. "And you didn't tell me?!"

Violet slowly ascended to face Rose in the eye. "I was still mad at you," she said. "And besides, when Jak and Zack found out, they took care of Benson and his jerkwad friends. There was no need to tell you. I'm sorry, but there was no need to embarrass you further."

A rumble from a truck's engine sounded in the driveway and shut off. "That's Daddy," Rose said, breathing deeply to cool her anger.

Violet darted out to grab her hand. "Rose...don't do anything you'll regret, okay? It's Father's Day. We should be praising Daddy, not questioning his misguided, good-intentions."

"I'm the sweet and silent one, remember?" Rose said, though she didn't feel very sweet and silent at the moment. "I won't mention it today. But Jak is not off the hook, I don't care what he did to Benson. The second I get him alone..."

Violet got an eager look in her eyes. "Can I watch, when you do lay into him? I really want to see that."

Rose smiled. "Sure." Then she frowned. "How come they never tried to run off your boyfriends?"

"They tried," Violet said. "But I finally told Daddy that he could back off the tyrant behavior, or I could make our teenage years his worst nightmare. It was his choice. After I snuck out a few times, ignored my grounding and missed curfew here and there— oh, and there was that time I took his truck joy-riding without permission — Daddy and I had a heart-to-heart, and he relented, raising his restrictions to an agreeable level."

Rose stared at her. "But you always skipped curfew and snuck out. Right up to the night before you left for college."

Violet gave Rose a broad smile. "I'm not very good at following the rules; you know that."

The back door opened, and their mother stood there, hands on her hips, eying both of her daughters. "Well?"

Violet shrugged. "Well, what, Momma?"

"Don't get sassy with me, young lady," Hannah Kirkland said sternly. "You two ready to put on smiles and act like the loving sisters you are?"

Violet looped her arm through Rose's elbow, walked over and gave their mother a kiss on the cheek. "We don't have to act, Momma. We are loving sisters."

Hannah snorted — Rose always wondered where Violet got that mannerism — and said, "I left you alone for too long, didn't I? You're plotting something."

Violet's smile looked innocent, but there was a hint of the devil around the edges. "Momma, you worry too much. Everything's back to normal, I promise."

Hannah squinted her eyes. "Anything normal in this family makes me worry, Violet. Grab the cake out of the fridge, please, and come outside. I'm watching you two."

Rose put on a quick smile when her mother glanced at her, causing more suspicion to travel across Hannah's gaze, but their mother sighed and left through the back door. Violet giggled to herself as she pulled the double chocolate cake from the refrigerator. Rose gathered the party plates from the counter. They exited the kitchen together.

"Hey, can I crash at your place tonight?" Violet asked as they went down the steps to the backyard. Rose nearly fell down the stairs as she gaped at her sister.

"You want to stay with me? You never want to stay with me."

Violet set the cake on the picnic table. "Josie and her crew are staying here for a few days, which means there will be no hot water left when I get a shower, and I am not staying with Jak."

Jak came up behind them to steal a swipe at the cake frosting. "Good. I don't want you staying with me," he said to Violet. "You snore."

Violet rounded on her brother. "And you fart in your sleep."

"How would you know?" he asked.

"The smell, dumb butt," Violet said.

Olivia crawled up on the table next to him. "The smell, dumb butt," she repeated. "What smells?"

Violet got that look in her eyes again, as Jak glared at her. She told her niece, "Uncle Jak's farts."

"But everybody farts, Aunt Violet," Olivia said. "Even you."

Jak burst out laughing, offering a fist bump to his niece as Violet's brain churned for retaliation—that was another one of her expressions that Rose knew well. Rose backed away to check on the kittens, leaving Violet and Jak to deal with Olivia's cheeky ways. She'd deal with Jak another time...she just wasn't in the mood right now, and it wasn't in her to ruin her father's evening.

Her step seemed lighter. Her heart felt lighter. She'd actually had a conversation with Violet today. And Violet wanted to stay with her. They could have another conversation later. Talk like real sisters. Like sisters do in the movies... Rose paused and shook her head. Never mind. Movie sisters were too dramatic...too real. No, sisters in books would be better. Like Jo and Beth in Little Women... Or the Dashwood sisters...

Rose tripped over a lawn chair and landed in Cole's arms. "Not exactly how I pictured you in my arms, but I guess I shouldn't complain," he said with a laugh. "Are you okay?"

Rose scrambled to stand up, smoothing her skirt back in place. "Sorry...I wasn't watching where I was going."

"I noticed," he said. "Is it always like this around here?"

She looked around. Violet, Jak and Olivia were still fussing by the cake, with Jak taking the occasional taste of the frosting. Zack and Tristan were arm-wrestling at the other table, and Hannah and Josie were bent over their guitars, softly strumming random melodies and earnestly discussing each one, while Mark and Kim listened. Her father, Travis and little Trevor admired the new riding lawn mower by the shed. It all seemed normal.

"Why?" Rose asked Cole. "Is something wrong?"

His perpetual smile tilted slightly. "Not at all."

"Then why did you ask?"

He chuckled. "Because many people curb their natural behaviors and overdo the civility around guests in their homes."

"The Kirklands do not curb their natural behaviors, as you politely expressed," Rose said.

"Other than you," he replied calmly.

Rose felt as if too many natural behaviors had been revealed today, but she figured one more wouldn't hurt. Her voice cooled as she asked, "Are you implying that I suppress my basic instincts, Mr. Fuller?"

His brown eyes stared into her. "Even butterflies need to stretch their wings sometimes."

She clasped her hands in front of her. "Point taken, Cole. But this butterfly chooses not to cause hurricanes."

"It'll be a hell of a storm when you do," he said, and Rose decided to disregard his comment as she checked to make sure the kittens were doing well. They slept in their basket — Cole must have put them to bed — each little black bundle curled next to a sibling.

She lightly stroked the back of the nearest female. Cole crouched down next to her. He cleared his throat. "Rose...I... Rose, thank you for inviting me today."

She looked at him. "You're welcome, Cole."

He reached down and covered her hand with his, careful to not add pressure to the kitten. "I mean it, Rose. It was just my mom and me for so long, and... Well, I've never been to any family get togethers, so I just don't know...any of this. But I am really, really enjoying myself."

Rose's cheeks had warmed when he touched her, but now her heart swelled with sympathy. "I'm glad you came, too. It hasn't been as bad as I thought."

"It hasn't been bad at all," he assured her, and she had to laugh.

"No, I suppose it wasn't," she agreed. They gazed into each other's eyes...and Rose liked the weight of his hand on hers. His thumb caressed the top of her wrist. Rose's blush deepened. Slowly, his hand worked around to cradle her fingers. She'd almost forgotten where they were and who was nearby.

Then her father yelled out, "Who's ready for cake and presents? I know I am."

Rose jerked, removing her hand from Cole's grasp. He merely smiled, plucked up the basket and stood. They walked toward the rest of the family, stopping when Violet met them halfway, her eyes worried. "Rose," she whispered, "what did you get Daddy for Father's Day? I'd forgotten all about it until yesterday when Momma called, and I had to grab something on my way here."

"I, uh, forgot, too," Rose admitted. "I ordered a pocket knife, since he's always complaining about Jak taking off with his. But it won't be here until later this week. What did you get?"

Violet wrinkled her nose. "Jellybeans."

"Jellybeans?"

Violet protested, "It's a really big jar of them...twenty different flavors."

"Daddy loves jellybeans," Rose said brightly. "It's a perfect gift...if he can manage to keep them away from Jak."

A grateful smile lit up Violet's face, something Rose hadn't seen in a long time. "You really think so? 'Cuz Josie wouldn't tell me what she got, and Jak said—"

"James Aaron Kirkland!" their mother shouted. Rose and Violet jumped closer together and turned to stare. Momma only used middle names when someone was in deep, deep, neck-high cow pies.

Hannah Kirkland stood on one side of the picnic table with her fists stuck to her hips, and Jak stood on the other with chocolate frosting smeared on the corner of his mouth. Sparks of asperity flew out of their mother's eyes. "Who wants to eat a cake that your fingers have been all over?"

Jak wiped his mouth. "I...I...I only tasted—"

"Don't...say...another...word," their mother hissed. She pointed that Mad Mother finger at him. "You better count your blessings that I had the foresight to bake two cakes. The other one is in the small fridge in the pantry. Go get it. And if I see a single mark on it, I will never make biscuits and potato gravy ever again."

Jak paled. "Never?"

Their mother's eyes narrowed. "Never."

"Aw! That's just mean," Jak pouted, but he shuffled to the back door and came back with the other cake. "Sorry, Momma," he said now, looking very contrite as he set it on the table.

Rose couldn't help it. She clenched her jaw and closed off her throat, hoping to stop it...but the giggle broke through. Violet joined in with her own snorting laugh. Cole leaned between her and Violet. "Something special about the biscuits and gravy?"

"Jak's utmost favorite," Violet said, and Rose smothered her laughter to add, "It's Grandma's recipe. No one knows it but Momma and Grandma. It's been passed from mother to daughter for generations. Momma got it as a wedding gift since Grandma didn't have any girls."

Violet added, "And Aunt Lauren doesn't really cook, so..."

Josie, standing near enough to hear their conversation, said, "And I get it next. I am the oldest."

"I may just take it to my grave," their mother declared. Then she shook off her irritation, put on a bright smile and said, "Cake anyone?"

Cole meant it when he told Rose he was having fun. Things had changed after the twins had that argument in front of the kids. When they emerged from the house, together, the tightness in Rose's eyes was gone. The stress was gone, yet in its place was a new emotion, one Cole hoped wasn't directed at him. Violet's petulance had disappeared, too, and he hadn't heard a single snide remark or look between them since. Rose was actually looking at people in their eyes, not keeping her gaze skewed. She even allowed him to hold her hand.

Then he ate the creamiest chocolate cake...and then watched the hard-nosed Kirkland patriarch clap like a giddy school girl when offered his presents.

From the other side of the table, Josie stood up and said, "I go first."

Cole watched as Violet threw her napkin at her older sister, saying, "Why do you always get to go first?"

"Because I am the oldest," Josie replied calmly. Violet stuck her tongue out, and Olivia mimicked....until the girl saw the look on her mother's face and quickly apologized.

Josie handed Mr. Kirkland a thick envelope, and he ripped it open, guessing out loud, "Is it Saints tickets?" He read the card inside and looked very confused. "Yoga lessons?"

Next to Cole, Violet snorted, "Yoga lessons, typical of Josie."

Josie threw another napkin at her and expanded by saying, "It's private couples yoga, for you and Momma. I know an instructor here in town, and she will come to the house for the lessons."

Cole watched, faintly amused, as Mr. Kirkland looked up at his oldest daughter. "I can't do yoga," he said. "I'm sixty-one years old, and I've got that lower back problem. If I get on the floor, I may not get back up."

"Jennifer, the instructor, will work with you," Josie said. "I know you and Momma like to do things together, and I thought this would be fun."

Mrs. Kirkland took the card from her husband and read it. "Sounds wonderful, Josie," she said, nudging Justin. And Josie's husband Travis leaned into his father-in-law, muttering too softly to hear down at the other end of the table, and Justin's eyebrows lifted in response to the quiet words. "Really?" he asked Travis, who nodded and put his arm around Josie. "I just might like couples yoga, after all. Thank you."

"You are welcome," Josie said, then turned to Travis, "What did you tell him?"

"You know how much I like your downward dog?" Travis said, grinning.

Josie gasped. "What exactly did you tell him about my downward dog?"

Mr. Kirkland spoke up, "Relax, Josie...no details were shared." Josie closed her eyes and breathed out slowly.

Jak stood up next. "And I'm next," he announced. Cole leaned an arm on the table. He honestly could not wait to see what the brother thought to give his father. Jak dug around under the table and pulled out a crudely wrapped box, tossing it toward Mr. Kirkland. "It's a cup holder for the new lawnmower."

"You're not even going to let me open it first?"

"Oh, sorry, Pop," Jak said, looking just as embarrassed as he had after the cake incident. "It's not a cup holder. It's a surprise. You'll never guess what it is."

Mr. Kirkland sighed, but he opened his present with just as much eagerness as a kid unwrapping the biggest box under the Christmas tree. "It's a cup holder for my new lawnmower, everyone," he said in a surprised voice. "Thanks, Jak."

"You're welcome, Pop," Jak said.

"My turn," Violet announced. She hopped up from the table, trotted around the side of the house, and disappeared. Everyone stared after her.

Jak grumbled. "She couldn't bring it back with her the first time, could she? Always gotta make a grand entrance."

"Hush, Jak," Mrs. Kirkland said.

Violet returned with a large gift sack in her arms, bright yellow and turquoise tissue paper sticking up from the top. Cole noticed that Mr. Kirkland's eyes brightened immensely. Violet set the bag down in front of her father with a clunk and pushed hair out of her eyes. "Here you go, Daddy. Happy Father's Day."

"Good lord, Violet," Jak exclaimed. "Your presents get bigger every year."

"Yeah, I know," the younger sister said.

Tissue paper flew out of the bag as Mr. Kirkland dove into his present. Olivia and Trevor jumped around to catch the paper. Mr. Kirkland reached in and pulled out the biggest jar of jelly beans Cole had ever seen. The kids' eyes widened. Everyone stared again, but this time with astonishment. Violet beamed...her grand entrance succeeded.

"You like it, Daddy?" she asked.

Mr. Kirkland rotated the jar, gawking at all the pretty colored candies inside. "It'll take me a year to eat all these. This is...awesome."

Jak's face and hands inched closer and closer to the jar. "There's orange sherbert in there...and cinnamon and cotton candy and—"

Mr. Kirkland moved the jar. "Back off, Jak. Mine."

Jak said, "But there's buttered popcorn flavored."

"My buttered popcorn," Mr. Kirkland said. And Olivia snuggled up to her grandfather, pulling her younger brother with her, and asked in a sweet voice, "Can we have some, Grandpa?"

Cole watched as Mr. Kirkland's expression melted. "Absolutely." He broke the safety seal and allowed the kids to dig their fingers into the jar. Olivia smiled at her Uncle Jak as she popped a few jelly beans into her mouth. And Jak said, "I'll give you five dollars, Olivia."

Olivia said, "Deal," and held out her hand for her money, holding the rest of her chewy candies ransom until he paid up.

Mr. Kirkland laughed and said, "That's my baby girl."

Next to Cole, Rose quietly retrieved a card from the kittens' bag of supplies. And just as quietly, while Jak tried to bribe his nephew out of his jelly beans, Rose slid the card toward her father, saying, "Happy Father's Day, Daddy. I, um...I had to order your gift, so it'll be here later this week. I just have a card for you today."

Mr. Kirkland's eyes softened as he gazed at his youngest daughter. "Oh, Rosie, that's okay. I know you've been busy. I'm just happy that you're here and you're smiling." He looked around at his family, a light of sheen of tears in his eyes now. "Thank you everyone."

A round of good wishes and love erupted...and one loud throat clearing. Zack stood up. "Um...actually, I have something for you, too, sir."

The reactions to that announcement varied. Rose and Josie looked curiously surprised. Mrs. Kirkland smiled lovingly and gave Zack an encouraging pat on his arm. Violet seemed bored, though also curious. Jak cut his best friend a startled glance as he shoved his jelly beans into his mouth.

And Mr. Kirkland looked absolutely dumbfounded. "You didn't have to do that, Zack."

Zack fidgeted and rubbed the back of his neck. "Well...you've met my dad, most of you have, and well...you've been more of a father to me than he has, so...it's not much, just something I made..." He pulled a small package, wrapped in newspaper from the pocket of his cargo shorts and handed it to Mr. Kirkland.

"You made me something?" Mr. Kirkland held the package gingerly. Cole thought the man might actually cry this time. When he pulled the item out of the wrapping, everyone leaned closer to look. From Cole's position at the other end of the table, he saw a wooden K about the length of his thumb, with a bunch of tiny notches and lines carved into it.

"It's a, uh, keychain," Zack said, shuffling nervously, "with everyone's names carved into it. They're really tiny, so some might be hard to read."

"You made this?" Mr. Kirkland asked, studying the K. "For me?"

Another wadded napkin flew across the table, hitting Zack in the chest. "Suck up," Violet muttered, but there was admiration in her voice and respect in her smile.

"Thank you, Zack," Mr. Kirkland said, holding out his hand to the younger man, and Zack said, "You're welcome, sir. Thank you for not kicking me out all these years."

Hannah now had the K, looking it over with tears in her eyes. Then she frowned. "Zack? Where's your name?"

"Oh, I didn't...I mean, I'm not really part of the family, just the freeloader," Zack said, getting a ruddy complexion. Hannah Kirkland stood up and thrust the keychain back at him.

"Zack Fitzgerald, you're just as much a part of this family as the rest of us."

"Hannah's right," Mr. Kirkland said. "I'll accept this gift after you finish it...with your name on it, too."

Zack tucked away the keychain, drew in a deep breath, and nodded, unable to say anything. To Cole's right, Rose smiled and sniffed. He handed her one of his handkerchiefs; she laughed softly as she took it, wiping her eyes, and Cole thought, Maybe this family is kooky, but they do love each other. He glanced at Rose again. He didn't know for certain what the future held for him, or if would ever be sitting here again, but he did know that if her family didn't accept him, then she wouldn't either.

Now, the question to ask himself... Do I want this?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

214K 15.6K 39
β—¦β€’β—β—‰βœΏ While searching for true friendship, she found her true love. However, she was let down by her best friend when she needed her the...
294 19 19
Chance knew the second that he met Kate...she was life-changing. It was the most powerful love until the day he destroyed it. He didn't mean to hur...
56 8 12
A heart, as soft as a cloud, goes through so much pain and agony. Any smile that lits up his face later turns into sorrow. He was laughed at, he was...
81 16 16
Knowing his brothers have settled down before him made Alexander a bit conflicted. As the eldest brother, he's supposed to go first. As Axel suggeste...