ᴛᴏ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ʏᴏᴜ ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴇ // ɴᴇᴊɪ...

By shazzarra

(Neji X Reader) Five years ago , their bond was made solely from love . But now ? It's just a empty vow ,tha... More

01 | only you
02 | hold my hand
03 | a little stain
04 | her, from the past
05 | a love worth remembering
06 | the two-faced prince charming
07 | to you
09 | the road to somewhere far from here
10 | the devil
11 | loath or love
12 | deliriously
13 | demonic
14 | once upon a time
15 | saviour
16 | value
17 | hunting for the devil
18 | perfect
19 | white lies
20 | changing seasons
part two | i will make you suffer
author's note

08 | the ugly duckling

145 16 0
By shazzarra

After spending at home with (Name), Neji had to return to his duties as HyugaCorps CEO. He still had lots of work to do, for he left them in heaps when (Name) was involved in the car crash.

However, he couldn't leave (Name) alone in the house, and he didn't trust anyone either. So there, she was. In the middle of his office.

Everyone was shocked to see her, for in less than five weeks ago, she was in a life threatening and near death condition. They all bowed to her, as a sign of respect. (Name) was visibly amused - no one ever did that to her before. Of course, she never had been in a position above others. At least as she remembers. 

     " You know, I can take care of myself. I still have all my five senses, my common sense, coordination and a functioning body. What are you worrying about? " she blurted. 

     " Even if you have a sixth sense, I still won't let you walk around alone. I'll take you around when I'm done with this, " Neji said, using a stern intonation that he never used before.
Instantly, (Name)'s face drooped.
     " Oh. Okay, " she answered indifferently, before she went to sit in another corner of the huge office.
Neji didn't notice it at first, but he did sense the lack of enthusiasm in her final sentence. It sounded exactly like her before she lost her memory. 

Solemn and lost.

It wasn't that he wanted to cage her, or make her feel isolated. It was just that the culprit behind the incident could be anyone - anyone.

And even through the entire month of searching, the police still struggled to find a lead. He had to protect (Name). Even if it meant he had to isolate her. Even if he had to cage her. 

Even if she hated his guts, he would still protect her. He swore that he would.

Neji quickly stood up and walked towards (Name) who sat on a leather couch with a copy of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows sitting in her lap, opened in the earlier pages.
      " Have you read this series before? " Neji asked. (Name) shook her head, and Neji replaced the book with Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone. 

     " It's the first installment of the series. You'll love it, (Name)."

Neji expected a blinding smile, but all he received was an emotionless nod.
     " Are you sulking, (Name)? " he questioned her. 
(Name) shook her head, still blank and empty faced. " No, I'm not." Her voice sounded so cold, so distant. So unfamiliar. 

     " Yes you are. If you're not, let's go sit over there with me, " he pointed at his work desk. 
(Name) shook her head again. " You sounded so busy . I felt like a distraction, disturbing you when you obviously have so much to do. "

Busy.

He wondered how many times he used that word before.

Like the time when he went out with a another woman on their wedding anniversary. 

Like the time when he didn't come home during her birthday. 

Like all the time, when he left her alone in the cold, bleak house.

It struck him, hard. Her words struck him so deep, that he found himself speechless. 
    " You're not a distraction, (Name). You're the best thing that happened in my goddamn life, " he almost choked. He wasn't going to let her feel alone and left out ever again.

Neji grabbed her delicate hands and held them in his calloused ones. " Remember that always, (Name). No matter what everyone says, just remember that."

Her hands felt cold, and Neji almost jumped when those freezing fingers squeezed his hands back.
     " I just wanted to let you do your work in peace. Why are you getting all emotional? Are you on your period? " (Name) blurted suddenly, a mischievous grin spread on her lips.
Instantly, Neji's heart leapt. She was smiling. At him. 

He couldn't have asked for anything better.
    " Now, why don't we go visit the other floors and departments?  You wanted to look around, didn't you? "

(Name) beamed, nodding enthusiastically. She quickly stood up, and Neji followed suit.
    " So, where's the best part of this building? " she asked. Neji pretended to ponder for a while.
     " My office," came his answer. (Name) eyed him sceptically, completely unamused. 
     " Okay okay. There's not much to see here in this building, but there's a nice open air garden in the top floor, " he smiled fondly.

     " That sounds nice, " (Name) grinned cheekily. They headed towards the elevator, and while waiting for the doors to open, Neji sneaked a small pinch on (Name)'s cheek.
      " Hey! " she blurted, her face flushing bright red,  which Neji found adorable.

      " Sorry, not sorry, " he smirked. Of course, (Name) yearned to wipe the stupid smirk off his equally unintelligent face.

A few seconds later, the elevator doors slid open. (Name) looked inside the elevator, and saw a woman, probably in her mid twenties, and wore extremely lavish and gaudy clothes.

Her hair was a shade of pinkish-peach, and her eyes were stunningly hazel. Her facial features were perfectly sculpted, with high cheekbones, a straight nose and a V-shaped jawline.
Not to mention, her body was attractive in every way. From her long legs, her small waist, busty chest and round hips.
She also carried herself in an aristocratic air, and along with her luxurious clothes and jewellery, they make her look like someone of noble blood. 

(Name) couldn't help but feel slightly intimidated. 
     ' Huh, this is the kind of woman that men go nuts for, ' she scoffed mentally. She sneaked a small glance at Neji's eyes, and much to her surprise, she found him relaxed, even slightly emotionless. There was no lust, no awe, and no admiration. 

(Name) was dumbfounded. She truly was.

But when he averted his gaze to her, she saw emotions sparking in his pearly eyes.

Warmth.

Longing.

Concern.

Happiness. 

Love.

It made her heart skip a beat. " Let's go, (Name), " he smiled, pulling her into the elevator after the woman stepped out. 

Before the doors closed, (Name) could see the woman's features contort into an unexplainable expression. 

But it was far from kind.

After a week of extremely boring 'rest at home' period, (Name) was finally allowed to return to work.
On the day of her return, she noticed that most of the workers were somewhat kinder, and smiled at her.

It was a very noticeable change. 

(Name) headed to the pantry, and made a cup of honey lemon tea for herself, and grabbed a blueberry muffin as a light breakfast. She also made a cup of jasmine green tea for Neji,  whose taste had changed lately.

On the way back to the office, she heard the workers whispering among themselves, but a single phrase caught her ears.

    ' Neji-sama's little darling '

(Name) wasn't shocked at all. She knew that people would always be dissatisfied, and it grew to annoy her. 

    Don't they have anything better to do with their lives? Is badmouthing people their bread and butter? 

     " What are you guys talking about? " she questioned sweetly. " Sounds like a nice chat. Can I join? "

The workers blanched, and the females went white under the layers of thick foundation.
     " Of course, (Name)-san. We were just talking about that new worker. She's weird, really weird! " one of them, that (Name) recognised as Harumi Ito spoke. 

By all means, (Name) wasn't fond of Harumi. She always badmouthed (Name) before she became Neji's secretary, and the respect Harumi had for (Name) was newly found. 

    " Weird? Why would you say so? " (Name) chuckled.

Harumi sighed, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. " There, Megumi Ikeda, the Ugly Duckling."

(Name) averted her gaze towards the spot that Harumi pointed at , and there she saw the said Ugly Duckling. 

Megumi Ikeda had dull, pinkish-peach hair that looked dirty and messy. Her eyes were unremarkable, and they were covered by glasses with extremely thick black rims. Her face was round and plump, and it was covered with so many pimples and freckles that (Name) couldn't tell which was which.
The clothes she wore were plain and dull, and stretched around her body like a sausage casing. 

(Name) bit her lip, displeased at how Harumi and the workers insulted Megumi.

     " Fatass Megumi! She can't stop chomping! " a male worker, Naoto chuckled, and the rest of the workers laughed as if it was so funny. 

Megumi then stared at (Name), almost pleading for (Name) to stand up for her. Guilt wrapped around the girl's heart as her grip around the cups of tea tightened.
(Name) wanted to stand up for Megumi, but she wasn't in the right position. If it hadn't been for Neji, she would've been insulted along with Megumi.

     " Enough of all this! Return to your work! " (Name) heard Neji's voice boom. She turned towards the department's entrance, and there she saw him walking in. 
Her heart began beating erratically as a bright smile made its way onto her lips.

At the same time, Megumi's eyes also lit up. Neji walked towards (Name) who was standing relatively close to Megumi's cubicle, and Megumi began to smile, until her cheek muscles hurt.
Her heart fluttered when Neji smiled, but then she realised that Neji wasn't smiling at her.

Neji was smiling at (Name).

    " Is that mine? " Neji said, taking the cup that contained (Name)'s honey lemon tea and drank it.
     " No, Neji-sama, this is yours, " (Name) motioned to the cup containing jasmine green tea. " I even already drank from it," (Name) stammered.

    Neji smirked, toying with the cup in his hand. " No wonder it tasted so good."

(Name) scoffed, trying to mask the laugh from erupting. 
     " Get back to work, people! " Neji shouted with an air of authority, and as the workers all became focused in their job,  Neji grabbed (Name)'s wrist and whisked her off to his office.
However, (Name) failed to shake off the glare that Megumi sent in her way when Neji spoke to her. It was different that the other glares. It was one of pure hatred.

After visiting the garden on the rooftop, Neji and (Name) returned to the office, and Neji continued his work while chatting with (Name) endlessly. 

Just like the old times.

    " Ah, I forgot! " Neji burst suddenly, halfway through his paperwork.

    " What is it? " (Name) inquired. 

    " The annual company dinner. It's held this weekend," he explained. 

    " Company dinner? Like all of you get together and hang out? " she guessed.

    " No, it's more large scaled than that, " Neji chuckled. " It's held at the grandest hotel in Konoha, so you could tell that it's going to be huge."

    " So, are you going? " (Name) asked.

    " Of course I am. The question is, are you? " Neji countered, a wide smirk covering his lips.
Instantly, a horrified expression formed on (Name)'s features. 
    " No! I'll just be a laughing stock! " she almost shrilled.
Neji stifled his laughter as he shook his head.
     " No one would dare question you when you're with me, " he chuckled. " I'll be your protector - your guardian - of some sort. "

(Name) rolled her eyes, leaning back into her chair.
    " Oh, I'm so honoured, " she spoke sarcastically. Suddenly, Neji stood up and grabbed (Name) into his arms, with his face inches from hers.

    " Neji, what's wrong -"

    " I promised that I'll protect you, didn't I? As long as I'm with you, no one will be able to hurt you, and no one shall belittle you. You stand on a higher level than they are. You're far better than them. (Name), you are my weakness, but also my strength. 
You're my pain, but you're also the antidote. 
Because.. You are my everything.. " Neji whispered the last part. (Name) could see how different his facial expressions were compared to usual.

He almost seemed foreign, like another version of him. The look in his eyes, she could never forget.
(Name) stared into Neji's face, and observed every single feature in the second that felt like a forever.

His light coloured eyes, his chiseled nose, his lips that always smiled at her, and his eyebrows that gave him a calm persona.
(Name) always found Neji attractive, even when she was still clueless and just woke up from her coma. 

He was still attractive to her. 

Then, (Name) felt Neji's hands roaming on her back, and one rested there, and another at the back of her head. 
Startled, she looked into his eyes, and at that moment, she saw a new emotion that she was unfamiliar with all her life. 

Lust. 

Neji closed the barely existent gap between them, and (Name) felt his lips crashing against hers roughly. 
It felt so vivid, and it was as if there was fire pumping through her veins. In her seventeen years of life, (Name) never kissed, so she had no idea how to deal with the situation. 

But she liked trying new things. 

So she kissed him back. Passionately.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

54 0 11
In the midst of seeking vengeance against his older brother, a young Uchiha male finds unexpected companionship in the form of a Hyuga girl, who shar...
69.6K 1.4K 36
Five girls who go to Konoha High School end up being friends with the new boys. But eventually, their friendship will become more than what they can...
50.1K 1.4K 14
After being rejected after so many times just by one person. He changed a lot. His pupose in life, gone. Maybe emotionless but yet he still cared for...
48.2K 1.3K 18
You are my love, you changed my winter into spring hinata Hyuuga, but i choose the solitude and revenge, i never thought i'd fall in love with you, y...