Care to Command

By TheBluntWeirdo

Office rivals fight for the same promotion, while resisting their attraction for each other. LAYLA masks her... More

1 No Shame
2 Blue Bikini
3 Shower
4 Business Trip
5 Social Butterfly
6 Maraschino Cherries
7 Lesbihonest
8 Tattoo
9 Dad
10 Italian
11 Training
12 Sit
13 Her Jealousy
14 His Jealousy
15 Friends
16 Restaurant
17 Ice Cream
18 Snake
19 Sandwich
20 Deep
21 Confrontation
22 Two of You
23 Arabian Night
24 Unsure
25 Stuck
27 Perspective
28 Show Me
29 Natural
30 Onions
31 Bees
32 Come Over
33 Multitask
34 Are You For Real?
35 Thank You
36 Proud
37 For Us
38 Mindless
39 Shirt
40 Good Morning
41 Comfort
42 Help
43 Party's Over
44 Let Me In
45 Last Words
46 Halloween
47 Banter in Bed
48 Special
49 Crazy
50 Doubt
51 Numb
52 Release
53 Breathe
54 Girls
55 Wait For Me
56 Anima Gemella
57 Power
58 Safe
59 Study Buddies
60 Dominant
61 Birthday Boy
62 Meant For You
Bonus Chapter: We Saw a Therapist
Bonus Chapter: Fifty Shades of Layla

26 Details

48.7K 2.1K 2.3K
By TheBluntWeirdo

Chapter 26
***

"Stop moaning, it's turning me on." Casey giggles.

"But you're so good." I moan again. "Ugh, never stop."

"Smells nice, right? It detoxifies the scalp and slows down the growth of gray hair."

She rubs red pimento oil on my scalp, slowly massaging it in. Her head massages are so relaxing, she could rub dog shit and I'd still be enjoying it.

Grant's idea of taking the day off was a blessing. I finally had a moment to look in the mirror and transform from a sloppy monkey to a fresh poodle. Even got my nails done.

"So... are you excited for San Diego? You guys going to go out after work?" Casey asks, now adding black castor oil. That one's gross. Too thick and sticky. That's what she said.

"I don't know. We haven't really been on good terms lately." I feign casualness. "But enough about me, how are you and Jacob?"

"Amazing." She beams, voice brighter. "Ugh, my God, I can't believe it took me this long to realize how perfect he is. All these years, we've know each other, and I couldn't see it."

"Well, it's not like he ever said anything to you. How were you supposed to know?" I mutter.

"Please, didn't you and everyone else tell me he has feelings for me?"

"I was guessing, based on how he was acting around you. But guessing's not safe, you need proof."

"I think actions are proof. Anyone can tell you whatever you want to hear." She opens a jar of coconut oil and scoops a generous amount. She rubs her hands together and the solid chunks melt, making suggestive sounds.

"I guess you could've asked him, huh. Maybe that would've pushed him to say something?" The image of Lucas pops in my head like an update reminder. I swipe it away.

"It depends. I read in my psych class that everyone has their own love language. Some people express it through acts of service, others with words. Then there's gifts and physical affection. Mine are gifts and acts of service."

I wonder what Lucas's love language is. Definitely not words. He sucks at those. Unless they're meant to torment me.

Not gifts either. He said he hates them when I bought souvenirs at the airport.

Physical affection? He did open up when I got on his lap. And the time I head butted him in the nuts.

Acts of service? Have I done anything? Hmm... I did do all those surveys and research for 'Operation Crack Lucas.' But I don't think that counts.

Also, it's not like we're dating.

"Like, I've noticed he always gets me a pink straw when he buys us boba. He knows it's my favorite color." Casey goes on.

Lucas said I look good in royal blue. Is that something he evaluates about everyone?

"Or, if I get angry, he'll wrap me in a bear hug and hold me like that for twenty seconds."

He pets my hair when I'm pissed. I still don't get how that calmed me down.

"He always buys me hot Cheetos if he goes to a store or a gas station." Casey giggles, wrapping my hair in a bun. "It hurts when I poop, but the gesture's still nice."

Lucas bought ice-cream when I was sad.
I miss him.

"I'm going to tell him that I love him." She drawls, putting a plastic cap over my head.

"Have you lost your mind?" I turn to her 'drunk in love' face. "It's only been a couple of weeks!"

"I know, but we've known each other for years. There's so many stages that we already skipped. What makes us sad or angry, what we like and don't like. It's the smoothest dating experience I've ever had. I think I'm ready."

I shake my head, turning back to the mirror. "You jump way too fast, it scares me. I don't want to see you get hurt."

"I think you get hurt no matter what, though. There's no point in being scared."

"What if you have no choice. What if you can't help it."

"You always have a choice." She leans down to wrap her arms around my neck, smiling in the mirror. "You just don't see it."

~

"I got you this." I say quietly, reaching my hand to Lucas.

It's 8 AM. He picked me up with his newly washed car, wearing Ray-Bans and a black sleeveless shirt. His hair is a rich brown, chaotic mess. Jawline dusted with short stubble. Smelling divine.

"Thanks?" He takes the Advil bottle and scowls at it.

"In case the hotel doesn't have any, cause, you know, you needed it last time." My God, I'm so pathetic.

"We're not going to a hotel." He starts the car and gets on the road.

"Huh?"

"Oh, that's right. You weren't at work when he told me." He looks straight ahead. What is it about a masculine hand on a steering wheel?

He opens Spotify on the screen and increases the volume. 'Where's My Love' by SYML and Sam Feldt starts to play.

"Grant has a beach house. He offered us to use it." He continues.

"Me and you? Alone? In a house?" Wonderful, I'm turning red now.

He snorts under his breath. "Yeah, I had the same reaction. But what can you do, it's not like he knows you have the hots for me."

"Excuse you?"

"But who can blame you." He sighs dramatically. "I'm just too good to be true."

And my female boner's gone.

"Don't you think I should've been a part of this conversation? Cause I'd like a hotel room."

He looks at me annoyed. "Bro, can you relax? There are like five bedrooms at that place. I'm taking the one farthest away from you."

"Okay, homie. I didn't know we're bros now. Jeez, dawg. Take a chill pill."

"Oh my God. Be quiet."

"Fo shizzle my nizzle, brotheeeeer!"

~

About an hour of music later, I pull out my phone to rehearse for the pitch meeting we have today at 3 PM. The Hershey's team wants to promote their chocolate bar in a romantic video, featuring 'anniversary dinner ideas.'

"I bet every other production team is pitching cliche things like chocolate covered strawberries and fondue." I think out loud, scrolling on their social media.

We'll be competing with other companies that want to sign with them as well. On the bright side, we're one of the best. But pitching without a clear direction is always nerve-wrecking.

"Yeah, well, people love cheesy bullshit. Why do you think there's always a long line for flowers on Valentine's Day?" Lucas grumbles.

"I think that's romantic. I don't get when people say 'oh they're dead plants, why would you want them.'"

"I didn't say it isn't. I'm just saying it's stupid to do it specifically on Valentine's Day. They jack up the prices, cause they know everyone needs to buy one."

"So what? It's worth if it's going to make the person smile."

"Sure. But it means more when you buy them on a normal day, not when it's expected."

My heart swells a bit. Would he do that? Is he that type of a guy?

"It's also bullshit because guys don't even get the same treatment." He continues.

"I don't know what poor souls you've been dating, but women can show appreciation too."

"Like?"

"Wouldn't you like to know." I smile coyly, looking back at the road.

Lucas smirks a little, glancing my way. "When's the last time you had a boyfriend?"

"Long time ago." I don't elaborate, and he doesn't question. "How about you?"

"I just broke up with mine." He makes a tsk sound. "He just wasn't satisfying me."

"Aw." I coo sarcastically. "No luck with women or men. Maybe you're the problem."

"Okay, miss single forever."

"I choose to be that way." I roll my eyes.

"Sure. Whatever helps you sleep at night."

"Oh, I know! We should pitch a lava cake." I jump with excitement, gesturing with my hands. "If they want something unexpected, then fuck the fondue and dipped berries. We can propose a video where we melt Hershey's chocolate and use it in a lava cake."

"I like that." Lucas nods.

"Ask me why lava cake though."

"Why." He asks monotonously. "Please, tell me more."

I'm grinning too hard to care. "Because it's sexy. Everyone else will pitch cheesy bullshit, but ours will be hot."

"And why is lava cake sexy?" He sounds unconvinced.

"They want unexpected, right? Well, what's more unexpected with desserts than cutting into a solid cake and having thick, hot, gooey chocolate pour out of it?"

"You're hungry, huh? I haven't fed you yet."

I roll my eyes. "Listen to me. Anniversaries indicate a lack of novelty. It's no longer a new relationship. And it's hard to be excited when you know exactly what to expect."

"Uh-huh."

"Are you listening?"

"Yeah, people who've known each other for a while don't get excited. Go on."

I smile despite his grumpiness. "How awesome would it be to have an anniversary video that breaks that perception? Say you find out a new kink about your partner, you play a game, you put on a new outfit. You think you know someone, but they take you by surprise. And it all starts with a lava cake."

"Hm, not bad." Lucas praises. "Look at you getting better with pitches."

"What can I say. I have a good teacher."

He glances as if he doesn't believe me. I smile, he bites his lip and looks back at the road.

~

"Okay, remember." Lucas says seriously. "Keep your hands off of me. I know you're excited to share the night under the same roof, but I'm not an object to violate."

We just parked in front of Grant's very nice beach house and he's about to open the door.

"Gee, that just makes me want you more." I deadpan.

"I know, you're sick like that." He rolls his eyes, pushing the door open. "One of these days I'm finding you a therapist."

"Please, do." My sarcasm echoes down the hall as we walk to where I assume is the living room. "I just can't help but think about fucking you in every corner of this house. Just go on and take your clo-"

There are people in the living room.

A shocked blonde covering a little girl's ears. And a middle aged brunette, trying very hard not to laugh.

"Mom?" Lucas exclaims behind me. "What are you guys doing here? Didn't Grant tell you that I'm coming?"

Mom?

Did I just-

Did I just declare to Lucas's mom that I want to fuck him in every corner of this house?

No.

No, no, no, no, no, no.

"Are you sure this is your mom?" I whisper to him. "Maybe it's just someone that looks like her."

"What an entrance." She rises to her feet with a smile. Her voice confident and calm. "I guess it's good that I cleaned the house, huh?"

Lucas leans down as she hugs him, kissing his cheek. "Why'd you clean? What about Mona?"

"Ugh don't even." She rolls her eyes. "That woman flakes without notice, if she wasn't so good, I would've found a new maid by now."

"Hey, Lucas." The younger woman walks up and embraces him. "You should've warned us you'd be bringing your girlfriend."

"Who? Her?" Lucas smirks at me. "She's not my girlfriend. She's my little pet." He tries to ruffle my hair, but I smack it away.

"Lucas, watch your manners." His mom chides before turning to me. "Don't make her uncomfortable."

"I'm Layla." I smile nervously and shake her hand. "I'm so, so, so sorry for what I said earlier. I wasn't serious. I would never. Not here. I mean, not anywhere. We don't-"

"Calm down." She uses the same parental tone she used on Lucas. "I'm Fiona. This is Valerie, Lucas's cousin. And that's Nina, her daughter."

"Nice to meet you." Valerie shakes my hand.

"I'm so sorry for traumatizing your child."

"Don't worry." She smiles, looking down at the curly blonde kid. She's in a white dress, playing with some pink, glittery slime. "You didn't hear anything, did you angel?"

"She said fudge. I love fudge." The little one sings, stretching the slime in the air.

Lucas squats down to her eye level and lifts his eyebrows. "Excuse me? Where's my hug?"

She smiles shyly but doesn't move. He opens his arms. "I'm waiting, Nina."

She steps forward and shrieks in a fit of giggles as he quickly catches her. He scoops her up and kisses her cheek. "Did you miss me? Hm?"

She mumbles 'yes' before hiding in his neck. I stare in awe, wishing for this to be recorded.

"Don't worry, we'll be out of your hair in a sec. We just wanted to have some coffee before heading out." Fiona says. Her eyes are similar to his. Deep brown with unflinching charm.

"I'll make it, just show me where everything is." I smile then cut her off when she opens her mouth to protest. "Please, I'd love to. It'll help me makeup for that awkward introduction."

Besides, I can busy myself and not have to engage in any small talk.

"Let's make it together, then." She nods, motioning to the kitchen.

"Oh and guess what, Layla." Lucas lifts a mischievous eyebrow, pointing at her. "She's a therapist. You're welcome."

~ A/N ~
Anyone has predictions on what's going to happen in the house tonight?

Reminder to vote <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.6K 6.9K 53
{18+} 🏆 WATTYS 2023 SHORTLISTED ROMANCE Zemira Ford knows a thing or two about paparazzi and being under the limelight. What she does not know is...
9.5M 310K 70
Wattpad Creator! Happy and proud. HIM: Staying the night? Not my thing. Hearts and flowers? Boring. Falling in love? Not anytime soon. Settling down...
313K 10.6K 36
(TeacherxStudent)"I wouldn't have kissed you if I didn't find you attractive." "But you said you only were with him because he begged you and if he...
402K 10.4K 57
"Her troubled eyes held fire. The kind of fire that was capable of burning me to ash." ***** I grabbed her chin with my free hand, making her look at...