Out Of Time

By just-dreaming-marvel

Y/N Rogers got the healthier genes compared to her twin brother, Steve. But they both got an equal amount of... More

Intro - Please Read
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
forty-five
forty-six
forty-seven
forty-eight
forty-nine
fifty
fifty-one
fifty-two
fifty-three
fifty-four
fifty-five
fifty-six
fifty-seven
fifty-eight
fifty-nine
sixty
sixty-one
sixty-two
sixty-three
sixty-four
sixty-five
sixty-six
sixty-seven
sixty-eight
sixty-nine
seventy
seventy-one
seventy-two
seventy-three
seventy-four
seventy-five
seventy-six
seventy-seven
seventy-eight
seventy-nine
eighty
eighty-one
eighty-two
eighty-three
eighty-five
eighty-six
eighty-seven
eighty-eight
eighty-nine
ninety
ninety-one
ninety-two
ninety-three
ninety-four
ninety-five
ninety-six
ninety-seven
ninety-eight
ninety-nine
hundred
hundred one
hundred two
hundred three
hundred four
hundred five
hundred six
hundred seven
hundred eight
hundred nine
hundred ten
hundred eleven
hundred twelve
hundred thirteen
hundred fourteen
hundred fifteen
hundred sixteen
hundred seventeen
hundred eighteen
hundred nineteen
hundred twenty
hundred twenty-one
hundred twenty-two
hundred twenty-three
hundred twenty-four
hundred twenty-five
hundred twenty-six
hundred twenty-seven
hundred twenty-eight
hundred twenty-nine
hundred thirty
hundred thirty-one
hundred thirty-two
hundred thirty-three
hundred thirty-four
hundred thirty-five
hundred thirty-six
hundred thirty-seven
hundred thirty-eight
hundred thirty-nine
hundred forty
hundred forty-one
THE OTHER BOOKS

eighty-four

925 44 11
By just-dreaming-marvel

The world around Y/N blurred. Whether it was due to the blood that was still spilling out of her shoulder or the fact that the love of her life had never died, she'd never know. She collapsed onto her knees, unaware of all that was still going on around her. She cried into her hands as Sam kicked down Bucky and the STRIKE team, all HYDRA, came pulled up. The STRIKE team quickly took the four into custody, putting them in a van. Not caring about Y/N's injury or the fact that her world had just turned upside down.

Y/N was placed into the van, next to Sam. Steve was across from Sam and Natasha was across from Y/N. They had each been handcuffed. Y/N had stopped crying and now was just dazed.

"It was him," Steve stated, looking down. "He looked right at me me like he didn't even know me."

"How's that even possible?" Sam asked. "It was like 70 years ago."

"Zola. Bucky's whole unit was captured in '43, Zola experimented on him. Whatever he did helped Bucky survive the fall. They musth have found him and-"

"None of that's your fault, Steve," Nat said.

"Even when Y/N and I had nothing, we had Bucky."

They all looked at Y/N, who hadn't said a word. All she did was clench her eyes shut and put her head back. Sam looked closely, realizing that she was bleeding from her shoulder.

"We need to get a doctor here," Sam demanded, looking at the guards. "We don't put pressure on that wound she's gonna bleed out here in the truck."

Suddenly, the closest guard to Sam, pulled out an electric rod, neutralized the other guard, and knocked him out. The attacking guard took of the helmet to reveal Maria Hill.

"Ah. That thing was squeezing my brain," Hill said. Sam and her looked at each other in confusion, until she looked at Steve. "Who's this guy?"

Maria Hill had come with an escape plan. She cut open the floor of the van and they carefully rolled out, Steve holding onto Y/N. She had a car waiting for them. It took them into the woods and to some secret facility. As they exited the van, both Sam and Steve helped Y/N out. She wobbled as she walked, almost falling.

"It's okay, Y/N/N," Steve said, picking her up. "I got you."

"H-he's... alive..." she stuttered, weakly. "Bucky's alive..."

They followed Hill into the secret facility. They were walking down a dimly lit corridor as a man came running up.

"GSW. She's lost at least a pint," Maria told the man.

"Maybe two," Sam added.

"Let me take her," the man said.

"She'll want to see him first," Maria said.

Maria led them to a curtained area. She pulled back the plastic curtains to reveal a hospital bed. On the hospital bed was a very much alive Nick Fury.

"About damn time," he commented.

Maria got everything set up next to Fury, so that the doctor could work on Y/N as she listened to him.

"Lacerated spinal column, cracked sternum," Fury listed off what was injured on him. "Shattered collarbone, perforated live, one hell of a headache."

"Don't forget your collapsed lung," the doctor added.

"Let's not forget that. Otherwise, I'm good."

"They cut you open," Natasha said. "Your heart stopped."

"Tetrodotoxin B. Slows the pulse to one beat a minute. Banner developed it for stress. Didn't work so great for him, but we found a use for it."

"Why all the secrecy?" Steve asked. "Why not just tell us?"

"Any attempt not eh director's life had to look successful," Hill replied.

"Can't kill you if you're already dead," Fury responded. "Besides, I wasn't sure who to trust."

~~~

"Sir, he's.. he's unstable," a scientist explained as Alexander Pierce marched into the room Bucky was in, being worked on. "Erratic."

"Mission report," Pierce said to Bucky. Bucky didn't respond, his face looking blank. "Mission report, now." Pierce moved closer to Bucky, striking me suddenly on the face.

"The people on the bridge..." Bucky mumbled. "Who were they?"

"You met the man earlier this week on another assignment."

"I knew him... I knew her... She was... I was..." A strange image of the woman smiling played in Bucky's head. It confused him. He didn't know where that image would have come from. "She-"

"Your work has been a gift to mankind. You shaped the century, and I need you to do it one more time. Society is at a tipping point between order and chaos. Tomorrow morning we're gonna give it a push. But, if you don't do your part, I can't do mine, and HYDRA can't give the world the freedom it deserves."

"But I knew her..."

Pierce turned to the scientists. "Prep him."

"He's been out of cryo freeze too long," the scientist explained.

"Then wipe him and start over."

~~~

Wanting to get out of bed, Fury moved the gang to a table. There were papers and photos scattered over it, but Y/N didn't care. She couldn't stop thinking about Bucky. Fury picked up a photo of Pierce and started talking.

"This man declined the Nobel Peace Prize," Fury started. "He said, 'Peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility.' See, it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues."

"We have to stop the launch," Nat said.

"I don't think the Council's accepting my calls anymore."

Fury pulled a black case from beside him. Opening it, he revealed three technology chips.

"What's that?" Sam asked.

"Once the Helicarriers reach 3,000 feet," Hill started explaining, "they'll triangulate with Insight satellites becoming fully weaponized."

"We need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own," Fury said.

"One or two won't cut it. We need to link all 3 carriers for this to work, because if even one of those ships remains operational, a whole lot of people are gonna die."

"We have to assume everyone aboard those carriers is HYDRA. We need to get pass them, insert the server blades, and maybe, just maybe, we can salvage what's left-"

"We're not salvaging anything," Steve stated. "We're not just taking down the carriers, Nick, we're taking down SHIELD."

"SHIELD had nothing to do with it."

"You gave me this mission, this is how it ends. SHIELD's been compromised, you said so yourself. HYDRA grew right under your nose nobody noticed."

"Why do you think we're meeting in this cave? I noticed."

"And how many paid the price before you did?"

"Look," Fury threw a sympethic glance Y/N's way, "I didn't know about Barnes."

"Even if you have, would you have told us?" Or would you have compartmentalized that too?" Fury didn't answer. "SHIELD, HYDRA, it all goes."

"He's right," Maria agreed.

Fury looked to the other three, trying to find someone on his side.

"Don't look at me," Sam said. "I do what he does, just slower."

"Well," Fury said, "looks like you're giving the orders now, Captain."

Y/N was still weak but couldn't take hearing them speak any longer. She suddenly stood up out of her chair, causing it to scrape across the flooring. Everyone's eyes were instantly on her. She hurried away, trying to find an exit to get some fresh air.

"Y/N!" Steve called, racing to catch up with her. "Y/N, wait!"

"I really don't want to talk right now, Steve," Y/N said, with a tone of defeat. "Or be near anyone."

"It hurts me too, ya know?" Y/N ignored her brother, continuing her search for a way out. "I loved him too."

"It's not the same," Y/N muttered, shaking her head. She finally found a way out onto a bridge. She walked to the center of it before stopping and taking in the view. "Our love for him was different. You can't compare it."

"I think-"

"I don't care, Steve!" Y/N shouted, snapping at her brother. "I told you I wanted to be alone, so let me be alone!"

Steve stepped away, but couldn't get himself to leave. So Y/N just ignored him. She stared out, but was really looking at anything. Her mind was too focused on reliving the events of the day.

Bucky Barnes was alive. He had survived the fall and had been clearly put through hell. HYDRA's hell. This could change everything. He clearly had some sort of memory of her. He had froze when they made eye contact. Maybe if Y/N got close enough, if she could just touch him and actually speak to him, then maybe... then maybe he'd come back to her. But then what?

He'd come back with demons needed to be fought, and she'd been willing to fight those with him. But would he want her to? And the biggest question of all, would he still love her? And if he did, what would she do?

Tony had shown, after failing the first few times, that he was all in. That he wasn't going to do anything that hurt Y/N again, at least not purposefully. And she loved him.

But she also loved Bucky.

She cried as her mind whirled all the possibilities and questions. It hurt, both her heart and mind. She didn't want to make a choice. She couldn't hurt the men she loved or herself. But she also might not have a choice.

"He's gonna be there, you know?" Sam said, coming up to the twins.

"I know," Steve replied, eyes never faltering from Y/N.

"Look, whoever he used to be, the guy he is now, I don't think he's the kind you save. He's the kind you stop."

"I don't know if I can do that."

"Well, he might not give you a choice. He doesn't know you."

"He knows me," Y/N quietly said. The men were quickly listened. "He froze... he could have killed me. But he didn't. I can stop him."

"I can't let you get in harms way again," Steve shook his head.

"Well, it's not your choice." Y/N turned to face them. "It's mine."

~~~

A plan was made and set in motion. Sam, Y/N, Steve, and Maria would take down the Helicarriers, while Fury and Natasha took care of Pierce.

They needed suits, Y/N and Steve, and they knew right where to get them. Upon waking, they had both donated their original suits to the Smithsonian. So they knew just where to go to find them.

"I always hated this thing," Y/N murmured, pulling at the suit Howard made her as they walked through the trees.

"You only wore it once," Steve responded.

"And look where that got me."

The came out of the trees and snuck into the Triskelion. They made their way to where Project Insight was being controlled. Hill set something off to disconnect the agents in the control room ear pieces. They waited outside the door, Steve in front and the others in back, aiming their guns at the door. When the tech opened the door, he was surprised.

"Excuse us," Steve said.

The tech held his hands up and stepped aside to let them enter. Y/N and sam took out the techs while Maria and Steve worked on the intercom. When it was ready, Steve began talking so that all of SHIELD could hear.

"Attention, all SHIELD agent. This is Steve Rogers," Steve started, using his commanding Captain voice. "You've heard a lot about me over the last few days, come of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think it's time you know the truth... SHIELD is not what we thought it was, it's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The STRIKE and Insight crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury and it won't end there. If you launch those Helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way, unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay... And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

"Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" Sam asked after Steve was finished.

"Why do you think they call him Captain America?" Y/N said.

Sam, Y/N, and Steve headed to the Helicarriers while Maria stayed behind to help them there. Each of them had a chip to place in a helicarrier.

"They're initiating launch," Maria warned over the comms.

"We have to hurry," Steve said, encouraging them to increase their speed.

"You going to be okay, Y/N?" Sam asked. "With that shoulder?"

"I'll be fine," Y/N waved the worried off.

"Y/N, the jump-" Steve called.

"I know what I have to do, Steve. I'll be fine."

"Hey, Cap," Sam called. "How do we know the good guys from the bad guys?"

"If they're shooting at you, they're bad," Steve replied.

Sam released his Falcon wings and flew off. Y/N ran in a different direction, jumping down onto the rising helicarrier. She hid herself behind some crates as she started getting shot at. She was trying to calm herself after the jump, things like that still got to her. Once she recovered, Y/N started fighting. She was shooting at every agent that was firing at her, and going hand to hand with those that dared to try. She tried to ignore the pain in her shoulder, already feeling the stitches ripping.

"Hey, Cap," Sam called again, this time over the comms. "I found those bad guys you were talking about."

"You okay?" Steve responded.

"I'm not dead yet."

Y/N rolled her eyes as she kept fighting her way inside. She ignored the continual chatter of the comms, trying to stay focused on the mission.

"Alpha locked," Steve said over the comms, meaning he had placed the chip in place.

"Falcon, where are you now?" Hill asked.

"I had to take a detour!" Sam responded.

"Lady A?"

"Please don't call me that," Y/N grunted, fighting off some more agents. "I'm not inside yet. It's like they packed this one full."

"I'm in," Sam said. "Bravo lock."

"Two down, one to go," Maria stated. "Six minutes."

Suddenly, a quinjet landed on the platform. Y/N looked over to see the Winter Soldier marching out of it.

"Steve," Y/N quietly said, "He's here."

"I'm coming, Y/N!" Steve said. "Hey, Sam! I'm gonna need a ride."

Before Y/N could do anything else, the Soldier was charging at her. She began shooting at him, not making a single hit. He kicked her in the stomach, flinging her backwards. This caused her to ram into the wall and lose her comms device. She grunted as she took back up to play defense.

"Bucky!" She cried. "You know me! This isn't you!"

This seemed to only make him angrier. She caught sight of Steve and Sam landing on the helicarrier as the Soldier continued his attack. She ran behind some crates, the Soldier following after her as she tried to reach Sam and Steve. As soon as the Soldier realized the others were there, he went after them. Y/N felt bad for running off, but she knew she had to get the chip in place.

When she got down there, Y/N quickly tried to open the compartment where she needed to place the chip in. As she was about to fish it from her pocket, a metal hand landed on her shoulder. It squeezed it, causing her to cry out in pain, before he threw her off the side and down to the next level. She looked up when she heard another set of footsteps. Steve was on the other end of the bridge, squaring off with the Soldier who was on the other.

"People are gonna die, Buck," Steve said. "I can't let that happen... Please, don't make me do this." Steve's voice cracked.

Eventually, Steve realized that the Soldier wasn't going to back down. The two broke out in a fight. Y/N groaned in pain as she got up, looking for a way back to the upper level. She shook her head and readied herself for the pain as she jumped up and grabbed onto a piece of the center consul. She climbed up the consul as Steve fought the Soldier. When she reached the top, she pulled the chip out of her pocket. Y/N tried to hurry to the open compartment, but was pushed by the Soldier. She fell to the ground, causing the chip to fly out of her hand and also the level below.

The men rolled off the level, fighting. Y/N placed her hand on her shoulder. All the stitches had reopened and it was bleeding worse than before. She could hear the men fighting below her.

"Drop it! Drop it!" She heard Steve demand before she heard a scream of pain from the Soldier.

The scream caused tears to prick in her eyes. She could only imagine how many times over the last 60 something years he had cried out like that.

"Y/N!" Steve shouted. "I have the chip!"

She shakily stood up and moved to the end of the level. She watched as Steve tried to climb up to her. Her gaze was taken from her brother when she noticed the Soldier up and aiming at him.

"Steve, look out!" She yelled.

The Soldier shot Steve in the shoulder. Fighting through the pain, Steve managed to get up to Y/N. The twins hurried, as fast as they could, to the compartment. Steve was about to insert it when a shot rang out form behind them. Steve went down.

"No!" Y/N cried, kneeling beside him.

The bullet had hit his stomach. Taking the chip from Steve's hand, Y/N quickly inserted it.

"Charlie locked," Steve panted into the comms. "Fire now... do it! Do it, now!"

The helicarriers began shooting at each other. The twins heard a cry. They looked down to see the Soldier stuck under a fallen piece of metal.

"We have to help him," Y/N said.

They unsteadily made their way down to the Soldier, while the helicarriers were still be shot at and falling from the sky. Steve lifted up the metal as Y/N helped the Soldier out. He panted, on his knees, was he looked at the twins.

"You know us," Steve panted. The three of them stood up.

"No, I don't!" The Soldier shouted, throwing a punch at Steve. Steve fell back.

"Bucky, you've known us your whole life."

The Solider hit Steve again, who was clearly not trying to fight back. Steve stumbled back.

"Your name is James Buchanan Barnes," Y/N said from behind the Soldier.

The Soldier whipped around and grabbed Y/N's throat with his metal hand. He squeezed as he lifted her off her feet.

"Shut up!" He yelled, throwing her off to the side.

Y/N landed a little ways away. She barely had the energy to hold herself up to see the Soldier and Steve. She watched as Steve stood up straight. He stood off his mask and dropped it and his shield out of the helicarrier.

"I'm not gonna fight you," Steve said. "You're my friend."

The Soldier pushed Steve to the ground. "You're my mission," the Soldier stated. He began to mercilessly punch Steve, repeatedly, across the face. "You're my mission!"

"Then finish it." This caused the Soldier to hesitate, fist ready to throw another punch. Y/N shakily stood up, trying to reach her brother. "Cause I'm with you to the end of the line."

The Soldier looked at Steve, as if that phrase was familiar to him. But, before anything else could happen, the bottom of the helicarrier gave out, sending Steve down to the river.

"Steve!" Y/N screamed, tears streaming down her face.

The Soldier turned to look at her, eyebrows furrowed. For the first time during that encounter, he met her eyes. That same look for familiarity washed onto his face. She stumbled up to the man, crying.

"Bucky..." she said. He flinched as her hand came to rest on his cheek. "I'm from Brooklyn... please, remember..."

Then the floor underneath them broke, sending them, also, down to the river.

~~~

The Soldier dragged both of the unconscious twins to shore. He stood above them, making sure they were breathing before he kneeled down beside Y/N. Nervously, with his metal hand, he brushed the wet hair off her face.

"Brooklyn..." he whispered. "I'm from Brooklyn, too..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.1K 213 61
"Tenth floor, roger roger." You confirmed through the comm in your ear as you made your way up the stairwell. "Jesus Christ, it's like having two Li...
329K 4.8K 17
S.Rogers x B.Barnes x f!Stark!Reader After the events of the horrific past, y/n Stark, Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes have finally admitted their feel...
134K 3.5K 52
twin /twɪn/ noun • one of two children or animals born at the same birth. adjective forming, or being one of, a pair born at one birth. ~ Have you e...
13.9K 461 27
A Bucky Barnes x Reader x Steve Rogers fanfiction. True love never dies. . . or does it? Life in the modern world seems to be going well for Y/N b...