Tame My Heart... Or Else

By nessie64

Liza has always been shy, afraid of being noticed. As a new school year starts though, she is forced to face... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42 - Part 1
Chapter 42 - Part 2
Author's Note + Character Contest Results

Chapter 23

214K 3K 482
By nessie64

Heya guys :D

I've run out of languages, so let's just stick to English shall we? Wow, I sounded really posh there... hmm.... well, anyhow :D

Dedicated to ^^^^^ because she has an AMAZING story which you guys should totally check out! I'm serious! Have fun reading it :D

It's Wednesday - so have fun :)

ENJOY <3

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brent P.O.V.

This could not be happening!

I was the King of the school, their ruler, and now they had turned against me just because of one pitiful, human girl? You had to be kidding me.

Maybe they'll forget about it by tomorrow, I thought, revving the engine angrily. I sped out of the parking lot and squealed into the street, ignoring the angry honks I got directed at me.

I kept up the stream of angry mutterings until I reached home. I shut off the engine and got out of my car, slamming the door shut hard behind me. My dad poked his head around the door, his eyes stern.

"Hey, be careful with that car!" he scolded.

"Whatever." I mumbled, before stalking inside, brushing passed him. I shrugged out of my jacket and threw it into a chair so hard that it almost toppled over.

"What's got my boy all wound up?" I heard my dad say behind me, and I could tell he was smiling.

"Shouldn't you be at work, or something?" I snapped, opening the kitchen cupboards and searching for something to eat. Of course, nothing was especially appealing.

"Shouldn't you be at school?" he replied.

I didn't bother answering, and giving up on finding something crazily unhealthy to eat, I grabbed a banana. I jumped up onto the counter and started to eat it, glaring at no one in particular.

"At least you're still eating healthy." my dad said, walking into the kitchen and taking a seat at the glass bar. "So, are you going to tell me what's wrong? Or I don't think you're excused from school."

Talk about anything more annoying than your dad being principal.

"Nothing's wrong."

He raised his eye-brows disbelievingly. "Really? Because I don't think someone should be so angry when 'nothing' is up." He even added the quotation marks with his hands, as he winked at me.

I had such a cool dad...

I looked away from his dark, piercing eyes that somehow still managed to sparkle with humour. I wasn't in the mood for his never-ending cheerful personality. The only time he ever was serious enough not to sneak a joke into every second sentence was when he was doing business. To him, that meant only emergency meetings.

"Come on, son. You can talk to me. Tell me, is it girl problems? I can help you in that category. After all, I did manage to snag your mother." he said, winking.  I groaned, he did NOT just say that. Please tell me that he did not just say that.

"No thanks." I grumbled, taking another bite out of the banana.

"What ever happened with that human girl that was here a while ago? She seemed nice." he continued, wagging his eyebrows at me.

Please let this torture stop.

"Let it go, dad."

He thought for a while, his forehead creasing up. "I think her name was Lina? No, Linda? No, Liza! That was it! Liza Macdonald." he grinned happily, proud of his achievement.

I choked as I heard that name fall out of his mouth. I coughed, trying to cover up the noise, but my dad's sharp ears didn't miss anything.

"Ohhh, that struck a chord. Tell me, what's all the juicy gossip?" my dad said, turning into a complete teenager again.

Yeah, that's my DAD for you..

I finally caught my breath. "There is no juicy gossip. There was nothing going on between us in the first place, so let's just leave it at that."

"I think not." he said, his eyes shining mischievously. "I know when someone's lying, so spit it out. I want to know everything."

I just looked at him for a minute.

"Dad?"

"Yes?" he said eagerly.

"Grow up."

Suddenly, he laughed, the noise booming around he house. I just watched him in astonishment till he finally recovered, sitting up straight again.

"I guess I deserve that, son," he said, still smiling a bit. "but you can't blame me for being curious. It's not every day you come storming into the house in the middle of a school day. Though on the other days, it's a bit of a regularity, but otherwise..." he trailed off, raising his left eyebrow.

I couldn't help but cracking a small smile myself.

I got off of the counter and threw the empty banana peel into the garbage. "So dad," I said, turning around to face him again, "What are you doing home at a time like this? Shouldn't you be grading some papers or something?"

He chuckled. "Brent, I don't grade papers."

I just waited for him to continue.

My dad sighed suddenly, his eyes growing darker. "Somehow, I'm glad you asked, but at the same time not. Come with me."

And with that, he stood up and walked away abruptly. I stood still for a moment, but then followed behind him.

                                                              *************************************

My dad led me into his study, which I had only been in a few times. Dark wood panelled the room, and was lined with bookcases, the books themselves piled and stacked into every morsel of space possible. A large, looming desk stood on the other side of the thin, rectangular room. Only a little light filtered in through the windows, which were partially covered with deep green, musky curtains. There were two pitch black, leather couches that stood facing each other across the room, and they didn't look very inviting at all.

"Uhh, Dad? Why is it so dark in here?" I asked hesitantly.

He laughed a little, looking over his shoulder with a smile. "Well, when people come to visit, I have to at least pretend that I mean business."

"Oh, right." I said, settling into the chair on one side of the desk.

My dad walked over to the windows and flung the curtains apart quickly, letting light stream into the room, making the dark room seem much less creepy. I had almost forgotten that my dad had even created this room in the first place.

Then he did the strangest thing.

He spun his huge chair on the other side of the desk until it was facing away from me. Then, he sat in it, and then slowly, very slowly, he spun around, his face grim.

Confused, was the word to describe me at the moment.

"Do I look like an evil genius?" he asked hopefully, grinning suddenly.

"Not, really." I said, letting out a short laugh.

His face darkened. "Darn it. I knew I needed a rabbit."

"A rabbit?"

"Don't evil geniuses have these huge chairs, and then they spin around slowly, and then he's petting a white rabbit?"

"Sure, dad. You should really get one." I said, rolling my eyes.

He obviously didn't notice the sarcasm in my voice, and he nodded. Then his eyes unfocused, probably imagining the effect when he got a rabbit. I waited patiently, long used to his weird behaviour, until he snapped out of it a couple of minutes later.

"Sorry, I got off topic again." he said sheepishly.

"Yeah, you did." I admitted.

"Where was I?" he said, and then he suddenly sprung up. He hurried towards a cabinet hidden between all the bookcases, and carefully unlocked it. Withdrawing a rolled up sheet of paper carefully, he then came back to the table.

"Son," he said, looking stern instantly. "You must tell no one of what I have showed you. Not even your closest friends. Promise me that."

"I promise." I said a little uncomfortable. He only got like this in really important moments, like in the emergency meetings. What could be so secret that I couldn't even tell anyone in the pack?

Well, I thought bitterly, at least he won't have to worry about me telling my friends. I have none of those anymore.

I pushed those thoughts away roughly as my dad unrolled the huge piece of paper. It was a good thing that the desk was so big, or it would never have fit. He placed two paperweights on either side of the paper, and then motioned me closer.

"What do you think this is?" he asked, after I had studied the paper for a full minute.

"I have no idea." I admitted, completely clueless.

He tutted. "Brent, has it come to the day when you can't even recognize the United States of America?"

Oh...

Right...

"I knew that." I said unconvincingly. He just raised his eyebrows at me.

"Of course you did. Now, what else do you see?"

I saw the reason why I hadn't been able to recognize it. The map was covered in red and black lines, arrows pointing in every direction possible. Some were scribbled out, only to be drawn over again, until the map looked like it was coated completely in paint.

"Squiggly lines?" I asked hopefully, looking up at him.

He just looked amused. "Oh my, Brent, there is so much you need to learn. Look closely at the map. Where all the arrows are pointing from?"

I followed the lines with my eyes, and they ended up in what I thought was the south-east of America. They all converged on one spot, and I leaned closer, trying to decipher the name that was covered in ink.

"California?" I said in shock.

He nodded. "Follow the lines." was all he said.

I did as he said, and my eyes widened as I followed them. They twisted and turned around in circles going northward, to where we were...

"No, no, no." I managed to get out of my throat in a hoarse whisper.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to turn that into a 'yes'." my dad said, his voice surprisingly strong.

"How did they find us?" I said, looking up at him, having guessed already what the map represented.

He shook his head. "I have no absolute proof, but I'm guessing only one person could have told them of our whereabouts..."

"Lidia." I spat.

"Good guess." he said dryly. "I can't believe she would ever betray her own pack, though."

"I can." I growled. "How much time do we have left?"

My dad shook his head. "Not enough. They are already half-way here, and if our scouts' reports are correct, they should be here before the New Year."

I quickly calculated it in my head. It was nearing the end of October, November being only a week off. That gave us one month to get ready. If we were lucky, we would get one and a half. Thank god they thought they were too good to bother with human transport like planes, or they would be already. The fact that they were coming on foot just might have saved all of our lives.

"What can we do?" I asked, sinking back into my seat.

"There is nothing we can do, son."

"So we're just giving up?" I asked fiercely.

My dad met my eyes. "Of course not. We just need a plan."

"Can't we just move again?"

He shook his head. "Everyone has finally settled in, and I don't think I could persuade them that the threat was great enough to move again. Besides, aren't you done running?"

I thought for a moment. "Yes."

"Good, now I need your help to think of a plan to make sure we survive, Brent." he said, poring over the map.

"My help?" I stuttered.

He looked up at me. "Of course. You are the future Alpha, and you must be part of the plans. How else are you ever going to learn how to lead your pack?"

Those words sounded TOO much alike to those which Red had said earlier that afternoon.

Even my dad didn't think I was ready to lead.

How much more depressing could this day get exactly?

We sat in silence for a while, him studying the map, as if he could find hidden secrets in between the lines, and me, doing absolutely nothing.

Only thinking.

They were coming after us.

Of course I knew that it would happen again. Just not so soon. They had been chasing us for years now, before I had even been born, and they weren't going to stop until they got what they wanted. Until tore it out of our lives, and then killed us for taking it from them.

My mother.

They were never going to stop.

They had found us.

They were coming after us again.

And this time, we wouldn't run.

And how the hell was I supposed to help?

I wasn't a full werewolf. I couldn't fight, I couldn't protect. I was useless. Just a pretty boy that had everything because he was next in line.

No wonder everyone hated me.

Then the words tumbling out before I could stop them.

"Why haven't I changed yet?"

His head snapped up my question, and his knowing eyes regarded me for a moment. Then he sighed and settled back into his chair, placing his elbows on the desk.

"That is an interesting question, Brent."

"You said it would only be a month or so, but now it's been two." I said, the words continuing to gush out of my mouth.

"Ready for a story, Brent?" he said, his eyes twinkling.

I nodded, sitting tensely in my chair.

His eyes took on a faraway look. "Let me tell you about the process of changing son, Brent. It's different for everyone, and when I say everyone, I mean it. No two people change in exactly the same way, or at the same time. The action of changing into a wolf is completely unpredictable and unpreventable.

For centuries, countless werewolves have tried to stop themselves changing, or tried and predict the changing process. They have never come up with an exact formula. Sometimes the process is sparked into action by a strong feeling, or a special event. Sometimes it is completely random, and can happen at any time, any place.

Sometimes the same pattern runs in the family, and that's how I tried to predict your transition. I changed at the beginning of my 11th grade, which you have already passed. Your mother changed a little later, when I saw her for the first time.

Now, son, you have to understand that at much as you want to change, there is the major downside. The process of changing is often so painful, that most of us cannot stay conscious during the whole transition. You will feel every single one of your bones dislocated, broken and shaped into place. Some of us have even begged for death during the process, so I advise you not to look forward to it too much.

But don't be discouraged, Brent. I can see the horrified expression on your face, and you have to know that it is not all bad. Of course, the major upside is the fact that you will finally be able to find your mate.

I know you have wondered about this. How will you know who she is? What if you know her and don't like her? Do you really have to spend the rest of your life with her? For the last question, the answer is yes. Even if you hated her before the transition, when your eyes meet for the first after you have changed, all of that will disappear. Understand that this is your soul mate, and I highly doubt that you will want to be apart from her.

Strangely, only males can recognize their mates, so only when they have changed will they feel the connection, even if the female was a werewolf long before hand. There are obviously exceptions, like when the male is human and the female is a werewolf. And this brings us to the topic of human mates.

They are possible, though highly unlikely. Most wolves feel that they need a strong, werewolf mate to bear their children and so forth. You are probably going to mate with a werewolf, since you are next in line to be Alpha, and your children need to be strong."

He finished with a smile.

"Any questions?"

"No, none." I managed to gasp. "There's just one thing."

"What's that?"

"I think I'm changing."

How ironic.

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you enjoy?? Hope you did :)

I'm just imagining how your faces are at the moment :D Guess you can't wait until the weekend, huh? :D

Hope you enjoyed <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

250K 10K 47
[Complete] [Editing] Georgina, an inquisitive incoming college student, must seek answers to understand why her peaceful life has been turned upside...
36.9K 1K 33
In the end, the journeys we take comprises of several things; a beginning, a middle, and an end. Sometimes we cannot even tell where one ends, and an...
15.9K 525 29
Spark Blaze is the young she-wolf who follows what she think is right. As everything goes complicated she wants everything to be done her way. She ma...
495K 17.4K 37
BOOK 1 C O M P L E T E D U N D E R E D I T I N G I quickly ran into a random room and locked the door behind me. Breathing heavy Sweating Scared "...