The Story of the Trees - Swor...

Par inkysparrow

#1 in Reverse Harem and #2 in Harem on 08/28/2021 #4 in Harem on 9/30/21 #17 in Romance out of 1.91 million s... Plus

THE STORY OF THE TREES
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter Forty-One

1.5K 125 12
Par inkysparrow

"... what?"

It seemed such a reasonable request. He was my father, and Duir had imprisoned him for trying to do good, or at least he saw it that way. His good intentions had led to a catastrophe, sure, but he'd intended for his gift to help humans.

Ciaran was leaning forward in his seat, eyes riveted to me. I could see "say yes" in his eyes. It was then that I realized this was the real reason he'd given me that key. He wanted me to release my father, but why couldn't he do that himself? I grimaced at the ease that I'd taken his gift, thinking it was a way to free my friends. But that wasn't it, was it? No, he'd been waiting for this moment. The question was, what was in it for him?

"That is not a good idea, Madeline." Luke spat. "For all we know, your father is lying and he will cause another disaster."

"He will cause a disaster? It's been Aisa gunning for me this whole time!"

Luke dragged his fingers down his face in frustration. "That has been a painful realization. While I understand her desire to avenge her own child, I could not forgive her if she bore the real responsibility for the Brigid's death." He bowed his head. "And... you've become more to me than an obligation to fulfill. I had not planned for that."

I hadn't planned for all this emotional turmoil, either, but here we were.

"Luke... when are you going to realize that these Edentrees are more like the greek gods and goddesses and not anything like the infallible beings you think they are? Are you seriously going to side with someone who's against me just because she's more powerful than we are?"

"Madeline, I spent my entire life in worship of her. Because of this, I still want to believe in her goodness and I believe she means the best for Aleria. But, you are my Elect, and I wish to devote myself to you as well." He took my hands and kissed them.

"I can't make you let go of your beliefs, and I don't want to. I just hope that you can learn to see beyond the pretty facade to all the Edentrees' human personalities and frailties. In my eyes, they aren't God."

"I never wished to be a god, Daughter," My father cut in.

"No? You've spent a lot of time messing with humans from what I can see." I said, as I turned to face him.

"Only to see them possess a better advantage. There are so many with more powers than they. Is it not sad? I have always felt that way, so I did something about it." He shrugged. "Change is a messy thing, Daughter. Not everyone desires it. But change and choice are necessary, are they not?"

"Yes, I suppose." I looked over at Dominic and Adrian, who were already experiencing many changes. They now had some powers of the sort and actually seemed to like them. "What about you guys, what do you think I should do?"

"I understand difficult dads, Matt. But I agree we don't know him very well. I'll support you if you decide to free him, but I completely understand if you don't." He smiled at me.

Adrian was less than willing to trust my father. "I don't know, Matt. Seems like there's many people who need something from you, but what do you get out of all this?"

"That's a brilliant question, Adrian." Then I looked at Ciaran. "Is this the bargain I made when you gave me the key?"

Ciaran walked towards me and went down on one knee in front of me. I fidgeted as I realized that someone older than rocks was being so humble. He took one of my hands and drew me closer so he could press it against his cheek. "I can't deny it. However, you have a bargain that you can place on me, and a bargain you can place on your father. You have all the power here, Madeline."

"What's in it for you, Ciaran?"

His shimmering eyes grew brighter. "Freedom. Children. Love. None of these are possible for me as long as things remain the way they are. I want these things while staying by your side."

"Nothing else?" I asked.

Ciaran's mouth tilted into a regretful smile. "I wished to be royal consort, and I'd intended to use the bargain to force that once you won. I wanted to gain power over Duir's court somehow and free my realm."

I pulled my hand away. "And now?"

He stood. "Now... now I couldn't possibly force you... but I can't deny that I still want to be your royal consort, despite my goals having shifted. I must have unconsciously realized it when I offered you that deal in your bedroom."

I chewed on my bottom lip as I considered this. Behind his cheerful, devil-may-care attitude, he'd been desperate enough to give me the equivalent of a blank check when he told me I could have any bargain I wanted.

I looked at Brin, Erick, and my banmuinen to see what thoughts they had on the matter.

"Whatever you decide will be the best choice, My Lady," Jeanne said. "I'm certain of it. Despite some wrong turns, we're nearly at the end of the first trial. You've done this by making insane choices that turn out right. I trust you." She pressed her heart where the pale link joined her to me.

Elsie nodded her agreement, then smiled shyly. The change in her was disconcerting, and I figured we had to talk about it soon.

Beth shrugged. "You trusted me to be free of the bracelet. Perhaps choosing to set him free is good, but I'd carefully word your bargain." She'd spent most of the time in the throne room staring at her new bond with me with horrified fascination.

Erick concurred with Beth.

Brin bowed low to me. "You're a goddess in my eyes. You've accomplished so much in so little time. I do not know how to make your choice easier, My Lady."

"Sheesh, Brin. I'm definitely no goddess. But thanks for the ego boost." 

I sat there in silence for twenty minutes as I worked through how I would word my bargain. When I announced it, I was sure that it was going to be full-proof.

"Okay, this is the deal. First, Ciaran, you need to keep your vows to me from the Becoming ceremony."

He nodded with a little smile.

"Okay, next, Ciaran and Straif, you can't meddle with humans anymore. You can't betray me or mine, and you can't do anything that affects me or mine negatively."

"Done," they both said quickly. Too quickly. I worried but tried not to show it. "Okay, good."

I pulled the key out of my backpack and touched the ring. I pulled that out too. It was such an amazing ring because it resembled a dragon holding a blue sapphire heart. It was a man's ring, but I'd really liked it.

I walked to my father's throne with the key and pressed it in the keyhole that was in the center of the black rock that held him fast. The throne rumbled, then the black stone fell in chunks to the ground.

My father rose and stretched, then shook out his legs. He itched a spot on his hip and said, "I have had that infernal itch for eighteen years. For that mercy alone, Daughter, I owe you so much. "

"Father, I wanted to give you this." I held up the dragon ring to him. It seemed like an acceptable gift.

He laughed as he took it. "Oh, Daughter. If it were not for my bargain, I would have greedily accepted this gift, but, it should belong to you. I will have the lunantisidhe resize it for you and give it to you shortly."

He was true to his word, and I had a beautiful new ring on my right finger. I admired the detail the artist had put into the dragon. Its scales were raised and numerous, and it had tiny, serrated teeth. The ring appeared to be made of gold but had a blue sheen to it. As I wore it, it felt warm on my finger, almost like there were fires banking in the little dragon. Luke looked down at it puzzled."I don't recall that being among your mother's jewels."

"It wasn't; I found it in my room." I struggled not to slide my eyes away from him, from my half-truth. It wouldn't be a good idea for him to know that my birds were little kleptos. I might need their sneakiness later.

"I've never seen that before anywhere in the mansion."

"Never?" I looked at the ring with more interest. If he'd never seen it before, I wondered who it belonged to? Maybe I was being stupid, keeping it on my finger. I was about to take it off, but Jeanne stopped me.

"No, My Lady, I have a feeling it will be lucky. I have a gift with that sort of thing."

Right. She was a leprechaun. "Okay then..." I put it back on, then looked up at my father. "Do you know about the earrings I'm wearing? My mother gave them to me."

My father rose from his throne and walked down the steps towards me. As he got closer, his eyes lit up with wonder. "The Chrysaor was the golden sword of Sir Artegall. It also had another name, the Claimh Solais, which once belonged to King Nuada of the Fae. If you put those earrings together, they become that sword, and any you give it to becomes a ruler."

"No kidding?" I said as I touched my earrings.

"I'm too old to kid."

I removed the earrings and touched them together. Nothing happened. "How do I get them to work?"

"You have to have someone in mind to give it to, and you have to know the incantation." My father was staring at them hungrily. "I do so wish that you could give it to me, but it traditionally goes to your royal consort."

"It does, does it?" I narrowed my eyes at them. A sword that gave someone sovereignty. Perhaps the bid to be my royal consort wasn't just for me.

I set my doubt aside for now and asked, "So when do I go to the Emperor of Tears' castle so I can go get that coin?"

Ciaran and my father smiled at me. "This is the Emperor of Tears' castle. I have granted you passage to Dragonis," my father said.

"Why did you wait until now to tell me! Sheesh!"

"We were stalling until we could get you to agree to let your father free."

Of course. That was so Ciaran.

"So what are you going to do now, Father?"

He smiled. "I have many projects in my lab that are long overdue. First, I need to meet with the friendly Trees and tell them of my release. "

"Great, well, let's go then..." I said to the rest.

The lunantisidhe had loaded up the vaadin. It had no humor when it saw me but allowed all of us to mount it again. We took off in a blur, but I held on to my acorns this time.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

651K 28.2K 68
I had reincarnated into Remis Xenith, the younger brother of the heroine, who died at the beginning of every route. In order to not interfere with t...
2.7K 117 30
**Sequel to Feral** MUST READ FERAL TO UNDERSTAND!! Now that Aiyana has ran away, how will she be able to help her mates? How will she defeat Ro...
1K 328 12
Monsters Are Created By Other Monsters. Sou & Isabelle, A set of eccentric and unhinged twins with erratic elemental powers has to set aside their di...
143K 8K 74
Supernatural creatures are real. They are a part of the world now, instead of hiding in the shadows. They want to belong. Will they? When Davyna's mo...