Dark Moon | Klaus Mikaelson

By SprintingFox

Trapped for a thousand years in a coffin, only to be awoken by the brother of the person she'd been hidden fr... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Final Author's Note

Chapter 86

1.9K 54 27
By SprintingFox

The bone was gone.

"I'm going to go jump off the roof," said Esmeray, putting her head in her hands and letting out a frustrated sigh. "Damn it! I didn't even think to protect the bone when she had me bleeding everywhere..."

"It's not your fault, love," said Klaus, though he was irritated (not with her, just at the general situation). "We still have our hands on one of the bones. We ought to get the other."

"Yeah, I think we might need Marcel's help with that. What did you all do today when I wasn't here?"

A lot, apparently. Elijah had impulsively murdered four girls to help Vincent re-establish the Ancestors' link to New Orleans. Lucky for him, his emergency Harvest Ritual had worked. Freya and Keelin had been attacked, and some of the Hollow's men had been able to enter the Compound. Lucky for them, Marcel had come in to help and had kept Hope safe while she'd been playing in the dungeons.

"So the only good thing that happened today is that Freya and Keelin kissed, basically," Esmeray said as she, Marcel, and Elijah rushed to the St. Ailbhe Cemetery to try and get the final bone. They knew the Hollow had a head start because she'd been in Esmeray's mind, even if Esmeray hadn't even known that the bone had been moved from where Alaric had told her it would be.

"Unfortunately," said Elijah with a tight-lipped smile. "Hayley tells me Hope was even hearing... voices, when she was observing the jaw bone earlier. She and Niklaus will likely be investigating that now."

"This day is just getting worse," muttered Esmeray, wanting to bash her head against the back of Marcel's seat. But she also didn't want to ruin his sports car, so she didn't.

It didn't even get better at the cemetery. They went in, and found it empty, which already didn't bode well. Moving toward the larger structures, they located the Del Robles crypt, finding a gate at the entrance that read 'Our hearts will always defend this land,' in Spanish.

"We're going to have to look through thousands of bones," sighed Marcel as they moved into where all the bodies were stored.

"I think I can try a spell to find it faster," said Esmeray. "Freya told me she did something similar the other day. I had one of the bones, I can find where that same energy is concentrated and get the bone to come to us."

She held up her hands and concentrated, and a femur came whirling out of one of the tombs. Esmeray only just caught it before it hit Marcel in the face, and put it in his hands, patting it gently. "There we go. One extra large chicken bone to contrast with the tiny one that was stolen from me."

Elijah was looking at her in disbelief. "Marcel," he said, directing his attention to the young vampire. "Give it to me."

Marcel blinked, then held onto the bone tighter. "Yeah, I don't think so."

"I'm not going to ask you again," said Elijah a bit more sharply.

"I want him to have it," said Esmeray, cutting him off before he could come closer to Marcel. "This thing is gigantic, and its energy will be stronger than that of the jaw. We shouldn't keep them in the same place."

Marcel gestured to her as if to say, 'exactly.' "The smart play is to keep them divided, yet still in the hands of an ally you trust. So I guess you're just gonna have to trust me, Elijah."

Elijah slammed him into the wall, the bone clattering out of Marcel's hands. The Original was holding up the knife Freya and Keelin had made, and Esmeray groaned in annoyance, picking up the bone and holding it to her chest. "I don't have to trust anyone," Elijah told Marce in a clipped tone.

"Careful, Elijah," Marcel muttered, glaring angrily at him. "Your true colors are starting to show. Yeah, you may talk a big game, but when it comes down to it, you'll always be a poster boy for violence first. Always and forever."

"Let him go, Elijah," said Esmeray, yanking him back with her free hand. Elijah turned to see that she had the bone between her breasts, because she knew he wouldn't reach for it that way. "Seriously, you're acting like a child. I would think you'd be more eager to work with him considering the Hollow has two of the bones and we only have one."

Marcel sneered as Elijah released him, lowering the arm holding the knife. "I'll take the bone and go, Esmeray," he said, stepping out and offering her his hand, because he wasn't going to try to grab it from her, either.

She was going to hand it to him, but the two men tensed, seeing someone behind her. She turned around, and saw Sofya, still with the Hollow inside of her. "Men and their silly posturing," she said, as if she was speaking to Esmeray. "They should know better. All of you should... your prize already belongs to me, anyway."

Esmeray gave the bone to Marcel before holding up finger guns. "Cool. No."

"Sofya," said Marcel slowly, approaching the woman. "I know you're still in there."

"She is," said the Hollow, not about to deny it. "Strong soul rattling around in a dying shell. But like all the rest of you, she's nothing compared to me. One last time. Give me what I seek."

Elijah stepped up, challenging her, before Esmeray could be like 'hey bro, that's not a good idea.' "Why don't you come get it?"

"Fair enough," the Hollow replied. "So long as you're prepared to die."

Esmeray reacted fastest, and was able to toss the Hollow back to get them an advantage, but the woman recovered quickly, and just before they could dash out the door, the wall began to crumble down, making them jump back before they could get hit. She slammed her hands down, and the three crashed to the floor, held down by an invisible force that sent the bone clattering out of Marcel's hand.

"Now, the game comes to an end," said the Hollow, standing over them as they struggled to get up.

"Not just yet."

They turned to see Hayley had arrived, and with the knife in Elijah's hand, cut into her palm before stabbing the Hollow, making her cry out in pain and double over briefly.

"Hurts, huh?" said Hayley, taunting her. "My blood?"

The Hollow laughed bitterly before whirling around and tossing Hayley back into Esmeray, who'd just been getting to her feet. She swirled her hands again, and now, the four were left frozen, unable to move at all. "Whoever told you how to destroy me left a little something out. Trapping me requires the release of power. The kind you get when you sacrifice the life of an immortal. Tell me, which one of you will die to stop me?"

"No one is dying today," said Marcel in a strained voice.

"Well, then," said the Hollow. "I guess we're done." She sped forward and caught the bone before leaving the crypt. The spell lifted, and they all gasped as they were able to move again.

Elijah rushed to Hayley's side so he could help her to her feet. "You okay?"

"I think someone is going to die," she said shakily as Esmeray helped Marcle up. "Davina has Klaus."

Marcel looked shocked. "Wait... Davina?"

Hayley nodded. "The Ancestors need a sacrifice to put the Hollow down for good."

"Fuck," said Esmeray, gritting her teeth. "Davina's going to kill him. Where are they?"

"St. An—"

The four sped away, with Marcel arriving first, Elijah second, Esmeray third, and Hayley fourth.

"You should wait here," said Hayley, holding out her hand to keep Elijah from entering the church. "You'll just make it worse."

He nodded, albeit hesitantly. The two hybrids led the way through the double doors with Marcel bringing up the rear. By the altar, they could see a salt circle had been made, and Klaus's unconscious body lay in it. Davina didn't appear until seconds later, looking sad.

"Davina," said Marcel gently.

"Don't try to stop me, Marcel," she told him fiercely. "If I don't kill Klaus, if I don't put down the Hollow, she'll come for all of you. She'll burn the entire city."

Esmeray held up her hands. "Look, we will do whatever we need to do to put down the Hollow. But not like this. Not Klaus, please."

"D," said Marcel pleadingly. "There's got to be another way."

The witch shook her head. "No. I was just waiting for the weapon, but now that you're here... I'm sorry." She swept her hands up, and Marcel was pulled into the salt circle. "But you need to kill him."

"No, Davina," Marcel countered.

"He's lived ten lifetimes, that's more than enough!"

"No," said Hayley, coming closer to her. "He's Hope's father."

Davina stared at her as if she was stupid. "She'll still have you. But if we don't stop the Hollow, then Hope will die. You can save her, Marcel. And everyone in New Orleans."

"There has to be another way," Esmeray insisted, coming toward the circle and feeling the barrier in place. It wasn't going to be as easy to break this now that all the Ancestors were backing Davina up (how convenient). "Don't do this. I'll bring you back and we'll figure something else out."

"You deserve better than him," Davina snapped. "Hope deserves better than him."

"Stop this." Elijah had come in, and he didn't look happy. "This is about your grievances with me."

Davina sneered slightly. "This has nothing to do with you. This is about a sacrifice. One death for the greater good."

"Then take me," said the Original without hesitation.

Hayley's eyes seemed to bulge out of the sockets. "Elijah, no!" She tried to hold him back, but Elijah moved her arm aside.

"If indeed there is no other way," he said gravely, "then end this now."

"No, no, no," said Marcel, holding his hands up. "Nobody's dying today."

"Then I'll do it myself," said Davina, holding her hand up and making Marcel yell out in pain as she started to extract his venom, simultaneously making a cut on Klaus's arm. Esmeray immediately slammed her hands against the barrier, starting to break it, because she knew Davina couldn't stop her from trying, but it wasn't happening fast enough, and Esmeray could see the venom slipping toward the open wound.

"No!" Elijah was yelling. "Davina!"

"Davina, please!" begged Marcel.

"You don't have to do this," Hayley said, taking Esmeray's hand so she could channel her and try to break the spell faster.

"I'm sorry!" said Davina, and she sounded like she really didn't want to do this. "It's the only way."

"NO!"

They turned to see Hope there. She marched forward and took Esmeray's other hand. "You promised to help, but you're not helping. You're hurting us, and I won't let you."

Without even needing Esmeray's help, Hope pushed her free hand forward, and salt exploded into the air. Davina gave a scream and vanished just as the barrier broke. Klaus woke with a start, and Hope rushed to his side, pulling him into a hug.

Klaus was incredibly proud to hear what his daughter had done. But the celebration in her honor would have to wait until the next day, while he and Hayley ran through what they'd learned about the Hollow with Marcel, Elijah, and Esmeray.

"So she's the one who created the werewolf curse," said Esmeray slowly. "Werewolves... were witches before. She took their powers and she made them into lycanthropes. Inadu, the psychopath, started the seven werewolf bloodlines. And she's a Labonair— a Crescent. No wonder she called me kin, she knew the originator of the Poldark line, my Ancestor. And that's why her magic feels so familiar. I'm basically her, but... younger, and a wolf."

"Also not a psychopath," mentioned Marcel.

"Hope and I are her weaknesses," said Hayley. "Our blood... mostly Hope's blood... is the key to taking her down."

"The only problem is that we don't have three of the bones," said Marcel. "Which means she's coming for it."

He looked so sad, Esmeray put her hand on his shoulder. "We'll get Sofya back to normal, I swear it."

He half-smiled at her before getting up, nodding, and walking out the door. Hayley and Elijah were the next to leave, and Esmeray and Klaus went to check on Hope, who was coloring in her room.

"Hi there," said Esmeray, smiling and holding up a new set of colored pencils for her. "Here, I think you could use this."

"Thanks," said Hope brightly, taking the pencils and immediately opening them.

Klaus came to kneel beside her. "I am incredibly proud of you," he said, taking his daughter's hands and squeezing them. "You did something wonderful today. You saved my life."

Hope grinned. "You're my superhero. I wanted to be yours."

Klaus leaned up, kissing her forehead. "What would you like as a present?"

"Dad? You don't have to get me a present."

The Original furrowed his brows. "And why wouldn't I, princess? You, my littlest wolf, deserve every gift under the stars. I would like to give you something you want."

Hope pursed her lips to think. "Well... Mom and Esme always talk about beignets. I haven't tried them yet, and I want to."

"Then you shall have beignets," Klaus promised. "Tomorrow morning, be ready for an extravagant breakfast. Your mother might not be pleased with all the sugar, but..."

The little girl giggled. "Mom never lets me have sugar at night. But if it's morning..."

Klaus winked. "As long as you balance it with fruit, your mother cannot possibly complain."

"Can you get grapes and strawberries? Those are my favorites."

"Grapes, strawberries, beignets, and a few other surprise pastries. It is set."

Hope had gone to bed excited at the prospect of trying some new foods. Esmeray and Klaus had gone to his room afterward, laying beside one another, locked in a tight embrace.

"I was almost too late," Esmeray whispered, stroking his hair. "If Hope hadn't arrived when she did, I don't think I could have saved you."

"Do not blame yourself, love," said Klaus. "You were doing your best to acquire the other bone."

"And I failed, miserably. Twice, I failed. This thing is strong, Klaus. She went into my mind."

"I... may have overheard a bit of what she was telling you at the airport. Do you wish to discuss it?"

Esmeray turned onto her back, staring at the ceiling. "I want to. I want to, but I feel scared. I'm scared I'll have a flashback and be trapped in a bad memory. I want to gather up my wits and just do it... because it's nice, and I want us to have a baby. But still, even the idea of getting undressed while someone— anyone— is watching... I just can't. I don't want to be this afraid, but I am. It's been five years and I haven't recovered enough."

Klaus moved to face her, and put his hand against her face. "Then listen to that fear, for a moment. Understand it. I don't wish for you to force yourself into it for my sake, and for it to send you into a panic. There is nothing wrong with being afraid. There is nothing wrong with this recovery time. Everyone's experience is different, you told me that yourself in the past. You went through a terrible ordeal. Abuse that lasted an entire year, to seemingly no end. That feeling could not simply dissipate in the five years that we were not beside one another. If you wish us to, we will take it as slowly as you need us to. And if you do not wish to, I will love you all the same. I love you, my little werewitch. Whether you lay with me clothed or unclothed. Whether you are brave or fearful. Whether you are pleased or displeased. I love all of you. And I wish to support you."

"Damon suggested the other day that I should... get my eggs out and freeze them. I think... I want to do that. But at the same time, I don't want to."

"I recall you do not wish to make a 'petri dish baby.' May I ask why?"

Her eyes welled up with tears. "Because... because..." she covered her face. "Because I was surrounded by those stupid things in that laboratory! And it's the most idiotic reason. But— But I was a test subject. I was a number. There were hundreds of petri dishes dedicated to me, to my blood cells, my skin cells, the venom he extracted. He even... he said once, when he was taunting me about replacing the child he took from us... he said that he didn't even need to... to force me into bed with him to make one. He would tease that he already had found a way, and that he could... impregnate me whenever he deemed fit. I never wanted to talk about it because it was so stupid, I'm scared of the little plastic science tools and the idea of making a baby in them because of some monster that I killed a long time ago."

Klaus felt his heart drop into his stomach. He felt terrible for not having asked her about this earlier. She had kept it secret to encourage herself to face her own fears, but it only left her more shaken. "Love," he whispered, pulling her into a hug. "I'm so sorry..." He didn't know what to say. He didn't have the memories of what Lucien did to her. He didn't know what else she hadn't told him, what she'd hidden because she was afraid of how he'd react. Even five years later, Lucien still left her paranoid.

"It's so dumb," she whimpered into his chest. "I'm— I'm fucking crying over petri dishes!"

"It's not dumb, love. It's what trauma does. You were surrounded by those infernal things and now, they hold a negative connotation in your mind. The idea of making a child in one brings back the worst memories imaginable."

"I want to get those memories away so bad," she said, holding her head in her hands. "I-I want to get them out. But I just can't. I can't do that. It's not fair to other people who went through something similar."

"Love, what is best for you? Think not of the others. What do you need?"

"I... I don't know. I want the memories. But I also don't want them. I want to make a baby. But I don't want to in either of the ways that we could be able to make one. I just want to be happy and I feel like I'm holding myself back from it. I'm the villain in my own story."

She sniffled and looked up at him. "I want a baby," she said, starting to sob. "I want to have a baby, because I have the feeling I'm going to lose my chance soon, and I don't want that. I just... I don't want to be pregnant yet. B-But the Hollow wants to kill me, wants to turn me into a vampire. What if she does, Klaus? What if I lose my chance to become a mother?"

Klaus rubbed her back. "You will never fully lose the chance to be a mother. You are like a mother, to Hope. You could be a mother, if we were to adopt a child who needed a home. You could be a mother, if, years in the future, even if you are a vampire, Freya helps you with a spell. You want to be a mother. And I will do anything I need to do to ensure it happens." He laced his fingers with her. "It needn't be a petri dish. It could be something else. That way, we needn't sleep with one another prematurely."

She sat up, trying to think, before going to her drawer and pulling out a very small, clear tube. "This is a centrifuge tube," she muttered, uncapping it. "It's scientific, but not a petri dish. And I can... store this for awhile. I could go to a doctor to get them to save it for me, for when we're ready."

But she hesitated, and set the tube down, the cap beside it. She sniffled again. "Damn it. I just can't bring myself to do it. I want to, and this is the perfect solution, but it just doesn't feel good. I hate my mind. I hate how it toys with me and makes me feel safe in some moments, then fucked up in others. I didn't use to be like this. Nine years ago... I was a good person. I was healthy. I didn't know about a lot of bad things that could happen in the world. It's hard to believe that back then, I was stuck in Alaric's apartment while you were in his body, and Katherine was giving me the talk about... sexual assault, saying that no one had hurt me yet. And then I got hurt. And that hurt is never going to go away. I think someone hurt her like this, once. Someone took advantage of her. A-And as strange as it is, I wish she was here to give me advice about how one moves on from this. I don't know how I'll ever fully heal. I thought I did, but my own paranoia just bitch slapped me in the face and said 'No.'"

Klaus pulled her into a hug again, and she was grateful for it. She didn't need to hear anything back from him, she just needed to get that out of her system, and the comfort he brought her was something good.

"Klaus," she said, pulling back. "I think... I think that when I'm ready, I do want to adopt. Stefan and Elena were telling me about this little girl they know, and how they want to adopt her. We can give a kid in need a home. I know a lot of little wolves in the foster care system. We can adopt one of them."

He nodded in support. "Of course, if that is what you wish to do. Hope will be thrilled, because the child will be closer to her in age."

"And not a tribrid," added Esmeray. "I just worry about trying to bring another tribrid baby into the world. Adopting a little supernatural sounds... like what I'm most comfortable and happy with. I'm sorry, I know this whole conversation just went in circles..."

"Not at all. I am pleased knowing what's on your mind, and glad I was able to talk through it with you, even slightly. I just wish for you to be happy, love. And I want a family with you. An adopted child would still be our child. I will love it just as much as I would any baby you and I made. I love you. I am here for you."

"Thank you," she said, snuggling up into him and kissing him before she let her head fall onto his chest. "I love you, too."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.2M 30.7K 81
It was an instant attraction between them. Magnetic, Captivating, Euphoric. But what did it all mean? Klaus/OC Top Rankings: #1 in niklausmikaelson ...
33.3K 643 49
"I'm glad you came, Alex. Like it or not, when one refers to the Mikaelsons, they're referring to you, as well. Tonight will allow you to make up you...
145K 5.7K 64
No one knows what happens when you die. It's a mystery that has always been. So when my time came, I accepted it with open arms. But as I entered my...
65.1K 2.8K 36
She needed a job, and he needed a governess for the boy he adopted at a funeral. Before either of them knew it, they were getting more out of the arr...