Codex Mortem

By Coraidhe

In a world dominated by werewolves and vampires, the few remaining humans are trying to survive. Danger lurks... More

Prologue
Heavy the crown
Not a woman
Whispers
Echoes
The gift
A good service
Cold my heart
The land Between
Peace of mind
The bold and the shy
Decisions
Origins
Temptation
Challenge
Hope
The missive
Summoned
The wolf and the lamb
Spring flowers
Trust and changes
A different way
Of men and beasts
A kiss of mercy
An oath's call
A brother's promise
A good bargain
Broken bonds
Paths
Flames and coldness

Drunken mouse, useless mouse

45 8 7
By Coraidhe

Dawn

I somehow managed to add in a small batch of wine the sickening mix without being noticed, saving some for the dungeon guard Alar, who I knew to be on duty tonight.
The emotion was raw, scratching me from inside. All I had to do for now was to serve the drinks and the food as the feast already started, and wait to be sent to the dungeon with the meal for the captive.
When I will be with mother, I'll unlock her cell and then I'll have to sneak to the king's room to place the key back in the chest.
Uma watched me for a few moments as I brought some wine from the cellars. I smiled at her just in reassurance that I am not ill or tired and she scuffed and turned her grimaced face away, towards another slave girl to be the target of her scolding.
I entered the great hall carrying the wine while the platters of food followed.
The wooden tables, set now in a 'U' shape, were filled with warriors, while at the head of the u shape, on the raised platform, sat proudly the new commander, the First Aga, in the king's chair. At the back of the platform, in the corner, a minstrel was trying his violin, while other two were adjusting their instruments.
The candles from the tables added in the air's joy, while the fireplace was cranky and sparkling with a vivid fire.
This was the first time to see a feast for me and, when the musicians started, my foot became restless.
My face was all a smile as I filled their cups from the raised platform to the last table.
Some wolves were eyeing me with the same smile plastered on their faces, while others were looking everywhere else but at me.
But there were two wolves who were starring endlessly. One was the First Aga. The second one was the same who I encountered earlier in the corridor- Saeban.
As much as I wanted to avoid his gaze, I smiled back at him. I understood now what he wanted and, at a second thought, his invitation came handy to my plan. Not only because his den was a few doors away from Raiden's room and provided me with the best opportunity to put the key back after, but also because I was going to pour in his cup the special wine and watch him sleep like a newborn despite his plans for the night.
The celebration continued, while the servants hurried in all directions with drinks and food.
I knew who was on the night patrol; it was easy to spot them as they boasted their tracking skills and lamented their soon departure in the perimeter, so I made my purpose to fill their cups every time; the same with the Aga's and Saeban's cups. At some point, I realized I need to let the other girls serve them as well, so I could not be blamed. The rest of the spoiled wine I mixed it with the good one- after saving a drop or two for the greedy cell's guard, so not only the night patrol would feel sick, but others as well.

It was all Mother's planning and it left me amazed by her brilliant strategic mind.
I was sitting in a corner, tapping my foot rhythmically, more for the nerves than for the music; the moment of the escape was approaching.
Saeban caught my eyes again, so I gave him a wide smile, a smile that was hurting my cheeks, but a necessary one. A slap over the back of my head made me turn with wide eyes to see the culprit better.
Uma stood frowning, with shoulders squared and fists resting on her hips.
"Wipe that smile away, you silly girl!" She berated me. "Do you wish him punished?"
"Punished?" I frowned. "Who? Why?"
"Saeban, girl. Do you think the King will like this if he finds out?"
I haven't thought of that... What will happen when he will find out not only this, but of me going to his room?
A chill run through my bone. I had to take the risk of his wrath. I had to stick to the plan, and Saeban was providing me with more than the opportunity to put the key back. He would be my alibi.
Noticing the lack of my reply and the frown on my face, Uma continued:
"Go in the pantry and take some scraps for the prisoner. Do not come back here if you do not change your attitude!"
...

"Let me see what you have there!" Alar barked.
I unwrapped the small bundle and, as always, he stole the cheese. 'Maybe he's got a mouse in him, a beast rodent, not a wolf.' I chucked to myself. I was so nervous that I was sure everyone would smell my fear, so I tried to distract my mind in order to relax.
"Why are you carrying wine to that bitch?" He asked, full of bile, grabbing the jug and gulping to the bottom.
'Greedy mouse, drunken mouse.' I chucked again, covering my mouth with my hand so he won't see.
After the last drop, he threw the vessel on the ground with a most hatred look.
"What is you had me drink, wrench? Why was the wine sour?" He yelled in my face.
"N- nothing, sir. The wine was spoiled, that's why it was for the prisoner!" I pleaded, hoping that he would believe.
His hand descended hard on my cheeks and I felt my lip cracking, blood dripping on my chin.
"You stupid bitch! You should have told me before I drank it!" Alar barked again.
Before his next slap, I was on my knees with palms joined in a prayer mode. I could not risk to be sent back, so I had to ask his forgiveness, even though he fully deserved that wine and its effects.
"Please sir, I am sorry! Have I known you were thirsty, I would have fetched a good one!"
His palm stopped midair.
I lift my eyes from the ground as he turned his back on me and took a seat in his usual spot.
"Be fast, wrench!" He shouted.
I rose on my feet fast, not giving him time to change his mind.
Walking through the damp, sour stinking dungeon, I took the key out of the inside of my sleeve hem.
" Good evening, my sweet child," mother's whisper reached my ears. Her voice was calm and hearing her it somehow calmed me as well.
" Blessings, mother." I replied, twisting the key in the lock slowly and steady, avoiding any noise that might led us to get caught.
Leaving the door of the cell unlocked, I walked further the bars wall and sat where she was sitting on the other side.
"I wasn't sure you could get the key." She told me, squeezing my hand. All I wanted in that moment was to open that door, walk in and embrace her. But it wasn't possible, not with the noise that metal frame was making when being open.
I didn't want to tell her where from I had the key and how I got it, and she didn't ask. I passed the food to her and, while she munched on the leftovers, I sighed. I will miss her so much...
" Mother, the guard should be snoring in no time. But you need to wait a bit longer. You have the pile of cow dung just behind the barn, and the trackers will not be a problem. I am concerned only about the border patrols."
" Don't be." She said, handing me back the wrap of the food. "I know the river, and I can swim upstream, to the North. They will follow me South, but this is how I'll trick them."
"Mother, you are to weak to swim upstream! You barely had any food and water in days!"
" Oh my dear child, I can manage it very well. You need to go back and have some of that spoiled wine, so when everyone will be sick, you will be too, in that way they won't doubt you. Do you remember the hut from when you were eleven?"
"Yes, I liked that one." I said, recalling the apple tree near it that we were so grateful for. "The apple hut."
She sticked her arms out through the iron bars and her warm, love-filled embraced was our good bye.
"We shall meet again!"
"We shall meet again, mother!"
My thumb wiped out the lone tear that fell on my cheek.
As I stepped outside, I peered to the guard's chair. There, Alar has collapsed, half sprawled on the ground, snoring and farting loud.
I chucked again, thinking of how discussing he is, and not because of the noises he made.
'Drunken mouse, useless mouse!'

Back in the king's hall, the party was still loud. But I knew that it wouldn't be for long now. From the high table, Saeban called me with a motion of his finger.
There was no much talk of him, only that he was a very skilled warrior and one of the finest killers. He was feared, but the way he carried himself didn't gave away that. He seemed like someone who you would laugh with one moment, and in another moment you would be dead. And he was very young from what I've heard, but I didn't dare to ask.
I made my way to him, noticing that the First Aga was nowhere in sight. Assuming that the warrior wanted his cup refilled, I grabbed the wine and proceeded to fill the pocal.
" Why don't you sit here," he waved his hand towards the empty chair on his left, "And have a drink with me."
His face carried the same wide smile as earlier, and I smiled back. This was my chance.
" As you please, Lord." I sat and drank the same altered wine, trying not to gulp it and thinking of how the drink will help soothe my nervousness. I could feel the slightly strange taste, but they couldn't. Mother told me to let them drink the good one first, so when the bad one comes, they would be too inebriated to tell the difference. And it worked.
" Dawn, I know you are scared, but some of us are not that bad." Saeban was trying to make conversation. "You are worth much more," he said, and something stirred in my mind. I've heard those words once before. A memory, one that I couldn't recall fully, for it was long since. Something nagged at the back of my mind, but I had too much to worry about, so I ignored the feeling. "That's why I want to claim you, to keep you safe.  See, I am not a beast. Not entirely." He continued, amusing himself of his last statement.
His words were flying by my ear, and all I could think about was of his king. Raiden. I wished for him to hold me in his protective arms,  where anything else ceased to exist. Only my heart beat and his.
"Mmmhh..." I uttered, unsure of what the wolf just told me.
His face brightened up and he leaned towards me, whispering in my ear.
"Finish your drink and let's go!"
What? Where? What did I just agreed?
"I... I still need to see if Uma wants me to..." I tried to use this excuse, but he cut me before I could finish.
" Uma can handle without you!" He grabbed my arm and led me toward the private chambers, taking care not to rush or hurt me with his grip. Before we left the feast, I noticed that my poison was starting to work. A wave of drowsiness filled the air, and some of the wolves were glaring in thin air with their focus lost.
We stepped into his room, which was the first one from upstairs. I thanked the Sun that there was no one on the corridor to witness, and I knew I had no other option, as Raiden's room was the last one on the left.
When the door shut behind me, my fear broke out. I was alone with the beast, who was looking at me with such intensity that made my spine shiver.
" Come here Dawn, have a seat." He pointed to one of the two chairs separated by a small, round table, in front of the blazing fire on the left wall. On the right wall, a four poster bed with furs on top rested, occupying the whole center of the room, flanked on each sides by two heavy chests, where metal candle holders sat with their many arms wide open. The far wall, opposite the door, held tall and bare windows, allowing the forest's richness to captivate the eye, like the most amazing painting.
I sat in the chair reluctantly, bringing my open palms closer to the flames for the warmth.
Saeban searched inside of a chest and, happy with his finding, he sat in the other chair.
"Look what I have!" He said, never losing his smile. He was a very good looking werewolf, but then, all of them were blessed with good looks.  Despite my apprehension, I felt him to be a good person. And I was the one misleading him, using him for my own purposes. Suddenly the guilt grew, but I couldn't go back.
"Tis one of the finest drinks! Somewhere between wine and spirit this liquor is." He boasted, filling two small wooden carved mugs and handing me one.
"Thank you." I said, tasting the special drink. My eyes widened as the smoothness of it touched my tongue, strong and yet soft as silk, with a unique unripen sweetness bursting in my mouth. I moaned, closing my eyes to memorize its flavor.
" This is... heaven!" I spoke softly, opening my eyes again to look at him.
" Why don't y-ou- you..." he tried to say something, but his eye lids grew heavy as his cheek was resting in his palm. Leaving my seat, I went near him and tugged his free arm gently. I knew the wine kicked in.
" Let's get you in bed, shall we? I helped him up.
"I gave y-yo... a-appl...e" he blabbered, collapsing on the sturdy bed.
" Hush now, Saeban"
Soon he was fast asleep.
I wasted no time in sneaking out, knowing that I needed to move fast.
When I was sure that I was alone, I hurried through the last door and placed the dungeon key back on the key ring. As I was about to lock the chest with my star, I noticed the small wooden box and how, through the crack of it, two small bright orbs flew out, disappearing in the air. They looked like fireflies.
Locking back the chest, I took to the door. My steps edged the fur on the floor, and I couldn't help myself not to kneel and grab it in my hands to bring it up to my nose. It smelled like him.
' Come back to me' I told him in my mind, imagining that he could hear my words.
Back in Saeban's chamber, I sat near him on the bed, not before I hid my star chain in one of the many secret hem pockets. I prayed for mother to get to safety, knowing that it was time for her move. My eyes shut gradually under the sickening mixture from the wine, and I prayed for everyone to be safe, the humans and the beasts. Maybe, one day, we could all live in peace and joy.

I woke up in the darkness with a loud rumble in my tummy, feeling sick.
Getting up from the bed dizzy, I nearly fell on my knees, but I managed to get myself steady and got to the far corner of the room. There, on the squeaky floor, I emptied my stomach content, cringing my nose at the strong, musty smell.
After a few more cramps and knots from my insides, I tried to find some water to remove that sour, sick taste burning my throat.
The old floor was noisy under my feet, and I realized that there were heavy steps echoing from the corridor.
And they stopped right behind the door. My breath got stuck in my chest.
The door opened, with a tall, muscular frame of a man standing in the middle. The light from the corridor torch illuminated his back, falling down on my shocked face.
"What are you doing here?" His voice came harsh. He was angry.
"Lord prince!" I uttered in a low voice, while my body begun to tremble. I was afraid now.
"Answer me! What are you doing in Saeban's room?"
I was the mouse. And he caught me.

.....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

367K 10.1K 32
Pain was all she knew. And if happiness was what she was seeking, she has to uncover her hidden past and her dark secrets to achieve her goal. Will s...
7.9K 266 37
Warning: This book has extreme violence, and deals with mature topics that will be sensitive to some readers. As the only Alpha female there is lit...
14.2K 256 39
Tsk-tsk. Alex Hayes lets her anger get the best of her one horrible day. An abusive father takes role in beating his child senseless everyday for two...
36.6K 1.4K 64
A tragic love story, about a werewolf who lost everything and a girl with no place amongst the humans, set in a world of war and Immortality. Through...