happy place || jj maybank ON...

By cowboylike_me

after she lost everything, she returned to the one place she knew she would be happy. the outer banks, parad... More

introduction
welcome!
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty one
chapter twenty two
chapter twenty three
chapter twenty four

chapter twenty

272 4 0
By cowboylike_me

-not edited-

"Vienna, come on, you have to get up." I faintly hear Rafe say, shaking my shoulder. "I've already let you sleep in too long. Rose and Dad aren't happy."

I groan, turning my body over. "Doesn't this thing not start until 5pm?" I question.

I hear Rafe laugh, "Yeah, V, but Rose wants you to try the dress on. It's already 3-"

"3 pm?" I question, shooting up. "Rafe! Why did you let me sleep until 3?" I panic, getting out of bed.

"I didn't want to wake you. You had a long day. You needed the sleep." He says, coming over to me. "Relax, V. You have two hours. The club is five minutes away." He chuckles again, kissing my forehead. I don't feel relaxed as he pulls me in. I hate this feeling. I don't want to be here. I regret agreeing to come, feeling like I've given Rafe the wrong idea. He's okay to have as a friend, but nothing more. I'm only interested in one person, even if he doesn't care.

I'm betraying my friends that do care by being here.

I pull back, his arms lay loosely around my waist, so I stay close and look up at him.

"How mad are Rose and Ward?" I question, trying to change the subject.

"I covered for you, babe. They're not mad." He says, placing a hand on my chin. I cringe at the name, it doesn't feel like it does when JJ says it. Even if he only said it drunkenly. "You should go try the dress on, the tailor is downstairs if any adjustments have to be made. Tell him what you want. But you'll look perfect regardless."

I blush, looking at my feet. "Thank you, Rafe." I say, and move toward the door, wanting to get away. None of this feels right. I was not in the right frame of mind when I agreed to this.

"Vienna! Oh my goodness, finally!" I hear Rose exclaim as I walk down the stairs. "Here, here's your dress." she says, placing the fabric in my arms. "Go back upstairs and try it on. Let me know if anything needs to be adjusted, please. I want you to feel your best in that. I hope you like it." She adds.

"It will be perfect, Rose. Thank you." I say, giving her a hug, feeling disgusted as I do.

She returns it, "Oh, you are a delight. Go try it on sweetie, I'll wait here."

I smile back at her, but wipe it once I turn around, and roll my eyes. I still can't believe JJ slept with that woman.

Once I enter Rafe's room, I see him laying in his bed, scrolling through his phone in a pair of boxers.

I shake my head at him and make my way to the bathroom, going to try the dress on.

I lock the bathroom door behind me and remove my clothes, pulling the dress over my body, however I am unable to zip the back, so I walk back out to Rafe.

"Rafe? Can you help me with the-"

Before I finish my sentence he is up and behind me, and the zipper is zipped.

"Thanks." I say, silently noting his attentiveness. I turn around to take in my appearance in the full length mirror that sits on the back of Rafe's bathroom door.

"I love it." I say honestly, rubbing my hands down the satin material. The dress is light blue in color, matching Rafe's tux. One side has a long cut out, traveling almost up to my hip, exposing my leg. The straps are small, spaghetti strap style, and the neck line dips low, exposing my chest. The material is form fitting, hugging my hips.

Rafe pulls my hair back over my shoulder and kisses the exposed skin on my neck, keeping eye contact in the mirror.

"With how you look in this dress, we might not be there very long." Rafe comments, smirking.

I feel a pit in my stomach. Not the good kind. This feels uncomfortable. I smile, not knowing how to respond. I excuse myself, saying I need to get started on my hair and makeup.

______

An hour and a half later, hair and makeup is done, and we make our way to the club.

I can't deny that Rafe looks good, as much as I regret agreeing to this. His blue suit compliments him well, and the gold accents on his suit match the jewelry Rose gave me, she really thought of everything. Sarah and I both wear long headpieces, Sarah's being green vines and mine being white and floral.

"You look amazing, Vienna, really." Sarah comments as we walk towards the club, getting ready for our entrance.

"Thank you, Sarah." I smile, "you look amazing as well."

She's nicer than I remember her being. I did not have a good first encounter with her at John's, but I tried to get along with her today (at Rafe's request) and she really wasn't that bad.

As we get ready for our entrance, I silently pray the boys and Kie aren't here, though I don't know why they would be - everyone here seems to be a "kook", which I know they hate and stay far away from.

I watch as Rose and Wars enter, arm in arm, and hear applause from those outside, causing me to roll my eyes.

"That's a bit much." I comment under my breath.

Rafe takes my arm in his, following behind Rose and Ward. I notice heads turn and people whisper as we make our entrance, but try to ignore them, and keep my head down to avoid eye contact.

Rafe pulls me toward the bar, immediately ordering us drinks.

"Mai Tai for the lady, her favorite." He tells the bartender, smirking down at me. "I remember." He comments, i force a smile up at him. We get our drinks and head back to the middle of the porch-like area.

"Oh shit, look, Rafe." I say, pointing to Topper and Sarah. "They're fighting." I say, watching Sarah storm off.

Rafe pulls me towards his friends, "You good?" He asks, hitting Toppers arm, "You okay? Yeah?" Topper nods in response, sipping his drink. "Hey, let get shit faced tonight. Yeah?" Rafe says, smirking.

I feel uncomfortable. I don't want to be here, let alone hanging out with Topper and Kelce.

"Shots on me." Topper says, heading back toward the bar.

"I'll be sitting over here, Rafe. Just grab me some and bring them back here." I say, not wanting to be around his friends. However, I can't be sober tonight. I'll never make it. He nods in response, hopefully understanding that I want to be alone, then walks away with the two.
_____

The first few shots burn going down, but by the time the sun has dropped below the horizon, they taste like water.

"Rafe, you know I hate your friends." I say, the alcohol in my system ignoring that his friends are standing two feet away.

"Vienna, be nice." Rafe corrects.

"No." I tell him, looking in his eyes, ignoring his friends. "Maybe if your friends were nice to mine, I'd be nice. But they're not. In fact they're psychos."

Rafe can't help but chuckle slightly at my intoxicated state, and lack of filter. However, his smile soon drops, returning with a angry look.

"The hell is he doing here?" Rafe says, looking past me. I turn to where he's looking.

JJ

Shit.

Rafe, Topper, and Kelce all stand, walking towards him.

"Rafe, don't. Please, please, don't." I plead with him as he walks closer.

Rafe puts a hand on JJ's shoulder, turning him around.

"Why don't you get me a Mai Tai, my friend?" He questions before moving to the left, putting me directly in JJ's line of sight, "For the lady. Her favorite." He snarls.

I can't form words. JJ's eyes are staring me down, almost like he doesn't believe I'm standing in front of him.

I shouldn't be here, I know. I think. Especially with them. I know.

"Yeah, pouge, make that two." Kelce adds.

"Yeah well, I'm on the clock right now. You guys look spiffy." JJ says, breaking eye contact. "Got a couple orders a head of you, so, why don't you guys go wait by the bar?"

"No, we're going-" Rafe starts.

"Stop, please." I ask again, quietly, like I'm afraid of making my presence known, even though JJ is already well aware of what I'm doing and who I'm with.

"Not what it looks like, huh Vienna?" JJ says, staring me down again.

"It's not, JJ. I promise." I say, eyes watering.

"I'll handle this Vienna, go sit down." Rafe says, pushing me behind him.

"Hey man, watch it. Don't-" JJ starts.

"Don't what?" Rafe says, walking towards JJ. More of Rafe's friends come up behind him, walking towards JJ as well who's backing up now, obviously outnumbered.

I watch as the five boys chase JJ through the club, cursing to myself.

I tug at my hair, looking around for anyone who could help.

"Fuck!" I curse. Running after them.

I find them in the locker room, JJ in a choke hold by Kelce. Rafe standing in front of him, taunting him.

"Your face looks really bad." He smirks, "starting to look like your dad a lot more."

JJ spits in Rafe face, not being able to do anything else.

"Oh shit!" Rafe laughs.

"Rafe, enough." I speak up, walking up to Kelce, backhanding him across the jaw, getting him the drop JJ.

I feel a pair of arms grab my waist, pulling my back, "told you to wait outside, Vienna." Rafe says.

"I don't give a shit, Rafe. This isn't okay." I say, trying to squirm out of his grip.

"Let her go, Rafe." JJ says, only to be grabbed by Kelce again.

The lights flickering caused everyone's attention to change, now focused on the security standing in the doorway.

"Gentlemen! Is there an issue?" The guard speaks up.

"Pardon me, Officer. No there's not an issue, I just-" JJ starts.

"Actually, yes there is an issue." I speak up. "Criminal trespass." I say, pointing to JJ, hoping he would understand what I'm doing.

"Beep! Call it in" JJ says, "blatant disrespect for private property. I'm in violation of all kinds of shit, sir." JJ says, i stifle a laugh.

"This lovely lady here, she caught me." JJ says, pushing me in front of him, away from Rafe. "I think she should escort me out." JJ adds, holding his wrists up.

The guard grabs JJ, and I follow close behind.

"Fix that tie, son." JJ says, "You're looking spiffy too. You Powerpuff girls have fun!" JJ taunts.

"Tell Kiara she looks pretty hot for a pouge!" Rafe taunts back, "Oh and I had a great night with your girl last night JJ! Vienna is always a great fuck." Rafe says, making me feel sick.

JJ rips his arm from the guard, darting back at Rafe, trying to get a punch in.

"JJ don't! Dont!" I say, but my words are muffled by the guards protests.

"You think I'm intimidated by you, bro?" JJ yells at Rafe while me drug out by the guard. "Let's go, V." JJ says, grabbing my wrist.

The security guard holds JJ firmly, leaving him unable to grab me, so I walk next to JJ, who's struggling against the guard's hold.

"Safe travels back to the cut!" Rafe calls.

"This ain't over!" JJ says back.

"Just ignore it, J." I try, knowing he won't listen. "Lighten up on him." I try to tell the security guard, who only grabs him harder.

"Really nice seeing you again, JJ! And always good spending a night with you, V!" Rafe calls out before the door closes. I drop my head, embarrassed I thought he could change. Embarrassed I gave him another chance.

Embarrassed I thought he was better than JJ.

"I got legs. Can't you see that brother?" JJ says, annoyed at the guard for how he's escorting him.

"I appreciate what you did back there. Let me just walk out by myself." He argues.

"Oh! Mr. Dunleavy, I see you got your drink! Good. That's really nice of you." JJ pats the old mans shoulder, "I'm actually going to down that." He says, grabbing the glass and downing the drink. I laugh at the boy.

"Ahh! Woo!" He calls. "I really appreciate the discretion Daryl, you know?" JJ jokes.

"JJ come on, stop it," I say, trying to hold back my smile, "let's just go."

"It's okay, V!" He calls, making heads turn. "It's okay, everybody! Do not panic! Leave it to the men and women in uniform! Let's hear it for them!" He claps.

"Rose! You look like lady liberty, good to see you again." JJ says, making my stomach drop.

"Let go of him!" Someone calls.

"Kie" I say, surprised to see her, not noticing she was here.

"You can't just boot him! I'm a member of this club! I invited him here."

This gives JJ an invitation to push the guard, and grab me, holding my wrist gently as he runs.

"Mandatory power hour at Rixon's Kie! Pope you too, alright?" JJ calls. "Rixons Cove. Let's roll."

"All right, Kie! Come on. Workers of the world unite! Throw off your chains!"

JJ pulls me towards John.

"John!" I yell, not seeing him in nearly two days. He grabs me and hugs me, spinning me then puts me down next to him.

"Colonel."

"Captain."

JJ and John fake salute to each other, "mission accomplished, sir."

"You and I need a talk." John says to me.

"More than a talk. She's got a hell of a lot of explaining to do." JJ adds, "no time for that now. Let's roll." He says, walking towards the beach in front of John and I. Pope runs up and hugs John and Kie hugs JJ, reuniting our group again.

_____

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.5K 20 27
you and rafe are having a small thing but your mind might be turning for jj
554K 18K 35
i shut my eyes and all the world drops dead. j. maybank x fem!oc outer banks, season one
529 1 27
When John B's cousin Blakely moves back to Outer Banks after 6 years... she rekindles friendships she didn't know she would still have. She runs into...
11.1K 155 12
*BOOK DISCONTINUED, ONLY COMPLETED S1.* '𝗁𝖾𝖺𝗋𝗍 𝗍𝗈 𝗁𝖾𝖺𝗋𝗍.' OUTER BANKS . FEM OC X RAFE CAMERON