Fire Ferrets [3] Bolin

By BigDiggs

After three years, Team Avatar is back in Republic City for Prince Wu's coronation. However, after things tak... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Epilogue
Thank you

Chapter 17

819 38 5
By BigDiggs

I walk out of the hotel, making sure to stay close to my mother's side. It's going to be strange staying in Republic City without her, and I know it probably shouldn't seeing as I've done it before, but that was three years ago. I can't help but feel as if so much has changed since then. I've changed since then. Or at least I think I have. But either way, I know I'll be fine. Bolin is here, and he reassured me that he would help me if I'm struggling with anything, and I have my friends here. I don't need my mother and grandfather to hold my hand, I need to learn how to do this on my own... again. Maybe staying in the Fire Nation with them has made me rely on them too much rather than relying on myself.

The morning sun shines down on us as soon as we leave and I can't help but look up, embracing its warmth. My grandfather would always tell me how a firebender's power is connected to the sun, and in this moment I can truly feel what he means.

"Ulazu, since you're wanting to remain here, I need you to promise me that you will not get involved." My mother says and I find myself nodding even though she is looking ahead rather than at me.

"I promise you, mother. The only thing I will be doing is helping those caught in the crossfire." I reply.

"I thought you told Raiko that you weren't doing that anymore?" My grandfather questions. I turn to him and see his confused raised brow and I nod.

"Yes, I told him I wouldn't help him. But that doesn't mean I can't help people my way." I say and my grandfather smiles.

"I'm glad to hear that you wouldn't give up on them." He says and my small smile leaves my face to be taken over my a serious expression.

"I would never give up on people that need me, no matter how much someone upsets me." I say. At this my mother stops walking and turns to me. She wears a smile similar to my grandfather's and she looks at me, not saying a single thing for a good ten seconds before she pulls me into a hug.

"You make me so proud, Ulazu. I really should have been listening to you all along." She says. I wrap my arms around her and laugh. Five years ago, my mother would have never said anything like this to me. I was always overlooked and forced to follow what she wanted for me. But things have really changed since then.

"Yeah, then I wouldn't have had to run away in the first place." I say with a small chuckle. She draws back, still keeping her hands on my shoulders.

"But if you had never run away then you would have never met Bolin, or your friends, or become the woman you are today." My grandfather says. My mother and I turn to him and I smile softly.

"I guess there always is a light at the end of the tunnel." My mother says softly as she turns back to me. We share a smile before she pulls me into another short hug, soon releasing me so that I can give my grandfather a goodbye hug.

"When can we expect you back in the Fire Nation?" My grandfather asks as he lets me go.

"I'm not certain. Though if you need me back, tell me and I'll head straight home." I say. My grandfather nods and turns to my mother.

"Okay, then we will see you soon." My mother says. I bow my head to her to her out of habit and she smiles.

"I love you both." I say.

"We love you too, stay safe, Ulazu." My grandfather says.

"Yes, stay safe, and you must be sure to bring Bolin back with you." My mother says as her and my grandfather start to walk away. I feel a faint blush hit my cheeks and I'm unable to remove the idea of me and Bolin living together just like how we talked about last night. Thinking about having a family with him makes me go giddy and I am in love with the feeling.

"Okay, mother." I say trying to brush off the fact that I had been blushing. "Have a safe journey back." I call as they begin to walk towards the docks. I stay standing there for a moment, and as soon as they're out of sight, I run back to the hotel to get out of my princess attire. I'm going to miss them, but spirits, am I happy that they're gone so that I don't have to wear this anymore. Now I can get changed and train with my volunteers.

--

I walk into the training centre to see everyone sat around idly waiting for me. I have to say, the five of us together seem like a strange bunch, but I can see potential in us. I already know how well Hani and Bamir can fight and protect others, but I can tell that Tahno and Leiko have potential for greatness, even if Tahno has been an ass before.

"Hey, sorry to keep you guys waiting." I say as I walk towards them. They all stand up as they look to me, and I can tell that they are ready to start training. "I know we didn't get a chance to really talk about why I have asked for you guys to help me last time." I continue.

"Bamir told us the basics, Princess Ulazu. It's just an honour to be able to work with you." Leiko says excitably from the back of the group. I smile to her and I bow my head towards her.

"Please, Ulazu is fine." I say gently. I don't really want to be referred to as a Princess whilst working with them, especially if I end up doing things I shouldn't be doing.

"Your fangirl might be okay with it, but I'd like to know why you need our help." Tahno says as he crosses his arms over his chest. I take a deep breath to calm the irritation this man naturally causes me before giving him a friendly smile, just like I had to Leiko.

"Kuvira is planning an attack on the city and the evacuation process is taking a lot longer than it should be. I cannot fight in this battle, but I want to help ensure that all of the Republic City citizens evacuate the city safely. But for that, I'll need some help." I explain and Tahno's eyebrows scrunch up.

"Isn't that the police's job? Why should we be doing it instead of them?" Tahno scoffs and I lick my lower lip ever so slightly.

"There are millions of people that need to be evacuated, the police will be helping evacuate people however, we are going in to ensure everyone is out," I say and I can see how nervous Leiko has become, "I understand that this is a lot to ask of you, and you can back out at any point, I'm not forcing anyone to help me. But if you are willing, then I truly thank you." I add not wanting to put any pressure on them. I'm asking them to risk their lives to help others, it isn't for everyone, I get that. But I just hope at least one or two of them stay to help me because I don't think I can do it alone.

"I'll help." Hani says. I turn to him and smile, he grins back to me before turning to Bamir.

"I already said I'd help you, and I meant it." Bamir says. I keep my eyes focused on him for a moment longer and I can't help but feel as though I pick the greatest friends anyone can ask for.

"Okay, Princess, I'll help too." Tahno says and I find myself smiling. I had kind of expected him to turn around and leave, but he is actually willing to help other people rather than himself. It's kind of unbelievable.

"I'll help too, but I'm not sure how much I will actually be able to do." Leiko says, her voice shaking ever so slightly due to nerves.

"Thank you. And I can show you how you can help me." I reassure her. I shoot her a smile before turning back to Tahno. "Are you a healer?"

"No, I don't do that kind of bending." He replies and I twitch my head towards Hani.

"Want to teach him how to heal?" I ask my friend knowing damn straight that this is the last thing Hani wants to do. Hani frowns at me and I can tell how much he hates me right now.

"I told you, I don't do that kind of bending." Tahno huffs and I roll my eyes at his attitude.

"Tahno, you don't have to help." I say. The man stays silent for a second, as if he is contemplating everything. It seems a bit dramatic to me, you'd think a bender would want to learn more about their element. Why is he so adamant on not learning?

"Fine, okay." He groans. He grabs onto Hani's arm and drags him the side of the room. Hani looks over his shoulder to glare at me and I can't help but laugh at his annoyed expression. I really don't mean to slum him with Tahno, it's not my fault they're they only waterbenders. I turn around and face Leiko and Bamir who watch me closely, obviously waiting for instructions.

"Bamir, would you be able to help me and Leiko?" I ask and immediately he nods, knowing exactly what I'm thinking. He stomps his boot against the floor, bending a large earth pillar in the centre of the room. I walk towards it with Leiko close behind me. I can sense her nerves through her heat signature, but I don't pay any mind to it. Once I train her up then she will grow more confident, I've seen it before when she was pro bending with Bolin.

"Kuvira's weapon is the most destructive piece of weaponry I've ever seen, which means people could get trapped in the rubble." I start to say, stopping to turn to Leiko who instantly turns to me, "That's where the three of us come in. We might not be earthbenders, but if you can channel enough power into your flames then you can break through the earth." I say. I raise my hand and shoot a red hot flame out of my palm straight into the pillar Bamir created. I continue firebending for a moment longer, until the pillar cracks and falls apart.

"Wow. I didn't realise firebenders can do that." Leiko gasps. Bamir moves the earth again to reform the pillar and I smile to Leiko who's eyes remain on the pillar.

"We can, it's just a matter of focus. Why don't you try?" I suggest. I take a step back so that she can have enough room. I watch as she takes a deep breath and lifts her arm, instantly bending fire towards the pillar. I let my eyes cast over her form and I have to say, I'm impressed. She might seem like a shy and quiet woman, but her form and technique is practically perfect. I'm slightly jealous.

She grunts as she continues to bend a stream of fire into the earth, but she soon drops it, panting heavily. I give Bamir a brief look before taking a step towards Leiko.

"It's tough, I know. But your form is perfect, you just have to try and harness more power with your breath." I advise. Leiko groans softly before straightening her posture.

"I just don't get it. I can feel it heating up, but it won't break." She says with a heavy breath. I feel my body freeze and my eyes widen. What did she just say?

"Y-you can feel the heat?" I ask completely shocked. She turns to me and I can see her confusion when she takes in my baffled expression, but I can't help but be confused. She can feel heat. Mako can't feel heat, and Korra struggled. Does this mean she can be a heat bender?

"Umm, yeah, it's warm, right here." She says slowly as she gently brushes her fingers against the pillar. I can sense the hottest part, it's just left of the centre, and as I sense it, her fingers gently brush against it. She can really sense heat.

"Yeah, it is." I whisper unsure about what to do now. Bolin told me he thinks I should teach someone else how to heat bend. Toph never said I should, but she did imply it. Oh spirits, what do I do?

"Ulazu?" Bamir mutters. My head snaps towards him and he looks at me with a slight worry, but like Leiko, he's confused by my reaction.

"I'm sorry, I forgot I needed to meet with Korra to find out more information about the evacuation." I say lamely as I take a couple steps away from them. "Carry on trying to break through, remember, a firebender's breathing is the most important thing when controlling your power." I say. I don't let either one of them say a word before I'm turning around and am running out of the training centre. I need to know what to do, and I need to know now.

-- 

I run all the way to city hall, not caring by the weird looks I receive as I pass people in the streets. I climb the steps two at a time and as soon as I reach the top the door opens. I immediately stop as I look up to see my friends looking back at me with shocked expressions, not that I can really blame them. I hunch over slightly, putting my hands on my knees as I regain my breath, trying to ignore their questioning glances.

"Ulazu, are you okay?" Bolin asks as he quickly moves away from his brother's side to me. I smile up at him to reassure him and I take his hand gently in mine, standing up straight as I do so.

"Y-yeah, just," I pause allowing myself to breathe again, "Korra, can I talk to you?" I ask. Korra's eyes widen slightly but she nods. I squeeze Bo's hand as I move up onto my tiptoes. I plant a quick kiss onto his cheek before letting go of his hand, quickly grabbing onto Korra's so I can tug her away from the others. She gasps slightly at the sudden jerk to her arm, but she runs after me as I drag her down the steps. I'm not sure where I'm taking her, but I just want to get away from everyone; somewhere quiet where no one can overhear us.

"Ualzu, what's going on?" Korra asks. I don't reply, I just carry on guiding her towards Lord Zuko park. Nervous adrenaline begins pumping around my body as I drag her through the park and towards the spot Bolin showed me years ago. What do I even say, how do I even ask if it's okay? What if she yells at me or tells me I'm stupid for even asking? Oh, spirits, I shouldn't have dragged her away from the others, I shouldn't have come here at all.

I shake my head and clear my thoughts as we get to the small clearing, and as soon as we're there I let go of Korra's hand and look over the river. There aren't as many dragonflies dancing over the water as there usually are, but I'm choosing to believe it's because of the time of day. I'd rather think that than think that the dragonflies have left.

"Ulazu, are you okay?" Korra asks. I run my hands over my face before running them through my hair. I sit down looking over the water and it isn't long before I sense Korra sitting down next to me. "Ula, you're starting to worry me." She mutters.

"Leiko can sense heat." I blurt out, unsure about how else to bring up the topic.

"Who's Leiko?" Korra asks.

"She was the firebender that joined the Fire Ferrets after you and Mako left. She's also volunteered to help me evacuate Republic City." I tell her.

"I thought you weren't helping because of Raiko." Korra says. I turn to her, shooting her a soft glare.

"That's what you're asking? Leiko can sense heat, what am I supposed to do?" I ask. Stress takes over my voice and I can't seem to shake the panic within me. Korra's eyes widen again as she takes in my slight hysteric tone.

"If she can sense heat, why don't you just teach her how to heatbend?" Korra questions and I frown. How could she even suggest that so casually when she knows what heatbending can do?

"Why, don't I- why, Korra, seriously?" I ask in shock. Korra rolls her eyes and sighs, linking her arm around mine to comfort me.

"Ulazu, I understand you're worried about other people learning how to heatbend, but teaching Leiko might save someone's life out there." Korra says. I bite my lip and look back towards the water.

"And what if she hurts people instead? It would be bad if I taught her how to, she could then teach someone else who could use it maliciously. I-if she did that then just think how people would view the Fire Nation. All the hard work my mother and grandfather have done would be completely undone." I start to rant. Korra slips her hand into mine and sighs heavily, stopping my overthinking mind.

"Ulazu, I'm not complaining, but why did you drag me to talk about this with? I thought you always go to Bolin for advice." She says gently. I chew on my lip even more and I taste a small bit of blood as I bite down too hard.

"Because if something happens you're going to be the one called to save the day." I sigh, my grip unconsciously tightening around her hand as I begin to worry again. "Sure, I might be the one to teach others and of course I'll do whatever it takes to stop them, but you're going to have the pressure of stopping it, and I can't just go through with something like this." I say, my voice trembles slightly due to anxiety.

"You're overthinking this." Korra says and I nod.

"I know, but I can't help it." I reply. Korra stays quiet for a moment, holding onto my hand tightly as she rubs small circles against the back of it to comfort me. I can't tell what's going through her mind, and if I'm honest, I'm scared to know. I'm scared that she will tell me not to teach someone, but I'm also scared that she'll encourage me to do it. I've accepted heatbending is a part of me, not matter how evil it can be, but that doesn't mean I'm not still scared of the bad things that come alongside the sub element.

"What do you want me to do? How can I make you feel better about this?" She asks after a minute or so of silence.

"I want you to tell me what to do." I mutter as I look away from the few dragonflies to the Avatar. Her blue eyes bore into mine for a moment, and I know she can tell how vulnerable I am right now. Normally, I would be so sure about what to do, but recently everything is going haywire in my mind. I have no clear idea about anything and it sucks. I just want to know what the right thing to do is. But what I do know is that I can trust Korra's decision about things until I sort my mind out. So, whatever she says, I'll do. No questions, no second guessing.

"I think you should teach her." Korra says after what seems like a lifetime has passed. I keep my eyes on her for second as anxiety builds up in my stomach however, I quickly take a deep breath to knock it down again.

"Then I'll teach her."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

132K 3K 26
Being the daughter of the current Fire Lord, and the future Fire Lord has its ups and downs. People adoring you and getting away with things that you...
83K 2.1K 34
Found as a child with a troubling and mysterious past, Eri was raised by Fire Lord Zuko. Growing up a traveler and warrior Eri was always taught to...
22.8K 517 14
170 AG the year of change for two friends. It is finally time for the Avatar, Master of all four elements, to learn airbending. But before she can l...
41.9K 1.2K 25
______________________________ ______________________ Book 1; Y/n daughter of Commander Bumi and M/n a fragile noble from the fire nation who died wh...