Dark Moon | Klaus Mikaelson

By SprintingFox

Trapped for a thousand years in a coffin, only to be awoken by the brother of the person she'd been hidden fr... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Final Author's Note

Chapter 78

2.1K 58 35
By SprintingFox

Esmeray considered saying 'No.'

After all, she still wasn't at her best in any way. A conversation with Kol didn't bode well for the prospect of making a full or near-full recovery from her trauma.

And yet, seeing the hurt look in his eyes, she couldn't turn him away.

"Yeah, sure," she said, beckoning for him to sit at the chair next to her desk. Thankfully, he didn't ask questions about why she was asking him to sit so far away from her.

"So," he said awkwardly, fiddling with his fingers and pursing his lips as if he had no idea where to start the conversation now that she's accepted to having it. She imagined he hadn't expected her to agree to it. "How have you been feeling?"

"Terrible," she replied bluntly. "You?"

Kol cracked a smile. "Horrendous."

"I'm sorry about Davina."

"I'm sorry about Jackson and your baby."

She looked down, and he winced. "I'm sorry for bringing it up," he murmured. "It just... felt like the kind of thing Davina would have wanted me to say. You and I haven't spoken very many times in the past."

"Twice, I believe," said Kol, biting his lip. "Nik had me wondering, the other day, how life might have been different for all of us, had we grown up in the same village. You're merely a few months younger than me. And several months older than Rebekah. We'd have all been friends. I was a witch, too, when I was young."

"I did hear about that," she said, not sure if he'd really just come here to talk about their childhood. "Klaus mentioned that it was really terrible when you lost your magic."

Kol nodded. "I er— I heard that Lucien nearly turned you yesterday. I suppose I wanted to check in. I hated losing my magic, despite only having had it for seventeen years of my life. You've had it for almost twenty three years, and you're damn good at it, too."

"I'm fine," she told him. "Lucien didn't turn me. I've got my magic. I guess it just makes me think."

"About what?"

"Literally everyone has told me at least once that Klaus will be the death of me. We've all discussed me being turned at one point or another. I don't know what the future holds for me, in a relationship with your brother. And I don't say this to imply that I'm scared he'll kill me or anything. I just mean... I'm not immortal, and he won't ever want to turn me into an immortal, because he knows how much my magic means to me. I guess I wonder what will happen when I really start to age."

"You have time to think about that," Kol mused, furrowing his eyebrows a bit. "You're still quite young. You won't start to really age much until you turn... forty, maybe. Then, the decision will have to be made. But I suppose being immortal isn't appealing if you wish to have a child of your own. Me, well, I don't very much like children. I don't think Davina wanted any. Or will want any, if I manage to bring her back."

Esmeray cast him a sad look. "I will help you in any way that I can, Kol. Is that what you wished to talk about?"

"Somewhat. I know you mentioned your specialty isn't Resurrection Spells. But... I don't feel I can ask Freya for help. She and Elijah are the ones who left Davina to die. I don't want them to be a part of the process that brings her back."

"I have contacts I can consult so that I can make the spell on my own. It was unnatural, in my Pack, but it's still possible, and I want to be able to help. Bringing someone back from the dead... in most circumstances... is highly unadvisable. But in this case, I think nature could make an exception. I want to find a spell that'll work. I need to find a spell that'll work."

Kol hesitated to speak, but his curiosity got the best of him. "Is that need only because of Davina?"

Esmeray placed her hands carefully over her lap. "If your real question is, 'Do you want the spell to bring back your baby?' then the answer is no. I'm not ready to have a child anymore and I will not bring it back from the dead even when I am ready. For a fetus, that's even more unnatural. Davina and I may not have been close, but I still cared about her, and I never wished for her to die. You should know that Klaus tried to keep them from sacrificing her. Your brother, in the past, has been unkind to you. I've seen the unfairness with my own eyes. But he is becoming better, and I want you to know that both he and I support you in bringing her back."

"You really love him, don't you?"

"Yes, I do."

"When did you know that you loved him?"

Esmeray sighed. "Platonically, I suppose I loved him since... the day I woke up after your mother first started channeling me. He was the last person I expected to see there, at my side, and yet, he looked so worried, and he took care of me, made sure I was safe. I'd already started to like him as more than a friend, but I wouldn't have called that moment the first instance of romantic love I felt toward him. Perhaps... it was a little bit after I came to live with him, Hayley, and Elijah at the plantation house. Klaus and I had a serious conversation about his impending fatherhood, and I just saw this look in his eyes... my words impacted him, and I knew I wouldn't have to worry that he wouldn't love his child. I knew he would. I knew he was ready to be a dad. I knew he'd become better. And he was just so understanding... the day after, I dared to kiss him. I guess that was my way of letting him know that I loved him."

Surprisingly, Kol didn't look bored by this. He was intrigued. "I suppose it's a little late to give you the 'if you hurt my brother' speech."

Esmeray gave a light laugh. "Oh, yeah, Rebekah already gave me a very small version of that one day when your brother got drunk and I had to get him to his room to sleep."

"Nik is lucky to have you. Really, I see the way he looks at you, and I just know you softened him. He'll always be temperamental and protective... but he's finally letting us all have our freedom. He's not trying to control anyone. He's been caring in a way I hadn't seen him be. Today, seeing him at Davina's funeral..."

He paused, and Esmeray saw he'd tear up. "He wasn't the sibling I expected to see there. I knew Bex would have been there if she could. I didn't expect any others to show up. I know you made him go, but still, it means a lot more to me than you could possibly know. Nik has become someone I can have fun with again without fearing I'll be daggered for speaking my bloody mind. You made him open to hearing new opinions without snapping. You challenge him to accept ideas that he might not initially agree with. Truly, Esmeray, I don't know how any of us can ever thank you for that."

"You don't have to thank me," she said with a slight shrug. "He had it in him. I guess I just motivated him to tap into that."

Kol smiled a bit. "Well..." he cleared his throat. "I suppose now it's time to say what I really came to tell you. I suppose I wanted to ease into it, since... well, I'd be opening my mind to you."

The werewitch looked confused. "Opening your mind to me?"

"I've been... seeing things. Hearing things. I was in my room earlier, and the music box started to play by itself. I thought it was some kind of prank from Freya. But then, I heard whispers... rushed voices. The door closed, and I felt as though someone was suddenly slitting my throat. Next, I looked in my mirror, and I saw her in it before it broke. I don't know if any of it is true. It could be my grief... I don't know. Perhaps I punched the mirror without realizing it. Perhaps I closed the door without realizing I did. I've heard that... the real memory will still be in my mind even if I saw something different. I was wondering if you could find it. Let me know if I'm losing my bloody mind or if she's really here."

Esmeray understood what he wanted her to do, and prompted him to come closer. He came to sit beside her on the bed, and she let her hands hover on either side of his head. His eyes closed, and she hummed before chanting, "Probare abent sind bevisa, sjon mens tasiae oppet."

Esmeray was able to see the memory that Kol had described, through his eyes. She could feel the fear that'd risen in his body when the hallucinations started. Except, they weren't hallucinations.

"What you saw was real," said Esmeray slowly, unable to believe it herself. "Your brain didn't fabricate any illusions. Davina was really there."

Kol was surprised to hear this. "What do we do about it, then?"

She pulled her phone out to text Vincent, asking where he was. "We go speak to someone who'll know what to do when it comes to Ancestral Magic." A few minutes later, Vincent let her know he was at the Jardin Gris Voodoo Shop.

"Definitely wasn't looking forward to going back there," muttered Esmeray as she and Kol made their way there on foot, since it was walking distance.

"Bad memories?" he inquired, not knowing much about her and Anya.

"Mhm. The previous owner was the snitch who got my friend killed. Klaus killed her for me."

"How romantic," Kol said with a smirk. "What's he getting you for your birthday? It's tomorrow, isn't it?"

"Ah, he knows I don't want anything. But maybe a jet might be his present."

"A whole bloody jet to yourself? What for? Do you really dislike New Orleans that much?"

Esmeray managed a laugh. "I like it quite a bit now. This became home to me. The jet would just be a consistent method of transportation for a project I want to work on. Driving everywhere and flying on other airlines is a bit... eh, for me. I don't like flying. Your brother had a wonderful time teasing me the first time he shoved me on a plane. I couldn't even look up, and he was flirting with all the flight attendants who were worried about me."

"Oh, bloody hell, that sounds exactly like the Nik I know."

They went silent as they approached the Voodoo Shop, seeing police cars outside.

"I got what I need to do what needs doing," they could hear Vincent saying inside.

"Great," an initially unfamiliar voice said. "Want to tell me what that is?"

"Okay, cemeteries in New Orleans were designed to house the spirits of our ancestors," Vincent explained. "And there are places, sacred places that help them focus their energy so that they can access this world."

"Like a cell phone tower?" the other man asked. It took a bit more pondering for Esmeray to place the voice— Detective Kinney, she'd seen him in Klaus's memories, and now, in Kol's memories.

"More powerful, but yeah," Vincent said. "Think about it as a way where our world and the spirit world actually meet and one of those places is a tomb. It's the cornerstone of the link between the living and the dead. It's the seat of their power and the means through which they influence this world. I'm gonna go into their world with this, and I'm gonna use every drop of power and crack the foundation."

"Cut off the signal," confirmed Detective Kinney.

"He's going to sever the link the Ancestors have on this world," breathed Esmeray, surprised he'd decided to go along with her idea when she'd told him about it. She and Kol walked faster, and from the window, they could see Vincent holding a very strange and imperfect sphere with some sort of marks on it.

"He has the Depot D'Argente," muttered Kol. "Davina told me Cami had that stored away with her other dark objects."

"Hey, Vince," they heard Detective Kinney say as they stepped into the shop. "How are you gonna get that thing into the spirit world?"

"Simple," said Kol, to announce his and Esmeray's presence. "He's got to die."

Detective Kinney looked very confused. "Who the hell are these two?" he said, looking between Esmeray and Kol.

Vincent didn't look all that pleased to see that Esmeray had brought Kol. "It's alright, Will," he said, urging Detective Kinney to leave them alone. "She's the one who gave me the idea."

The detective seemed worried about leaving Vincent alone with the two of them, but he stepped out of the shop.

"You're not going to blow up the Ancestral Well by yourself," said Kol.

Vincent sighed. "Kol, whatever help you're trying to offer me, I'm not interested. This is between Esmeray and I."

"We're both coming with you," said Kol. "I'm not asking for permission. Besides... Davina's the one who brought me here."

Vincent stared at him, clearly exasperated. "Davina's gone, Kol!"

"She's not fully gone," said Esmeray a bit meekly. "Some part of her soul lingered in this world, and she contacted Kol. I think it's a sign that he has to help with this. I can sustain the spell to send you both into the well to implant your little toy into the well."

"Alright," said Vincent, knowing he wouldn't be able to convince her otherwise. "Tell Josh to come be our anchor. Have him bring something of Davina's."

Esmeray nodded, and got her phone out as the three started to walk to the Lafayette Cemetery.

They entered one of the main tombs to set up for the spell. Vincent made a circle of herbs and charcoal on the ground and handed Esmeray a copy of the spell she needed to do. They had to wait only a little while before Josh came in, looking confused, but willing to help. "There ain't no party like a cemetery party," he said, holding up a record. "Davina's favorite record."

"Perfect," said Esmeray, waving her hands. The record flew out of Josh's hand and came to hover beside Esmeray, melting in midair without making a mess, and molding itself into a small bowl, which she took, and held out to Vincent and Kol.

"Hold on," said Josh, coming to sit on the floor across from Esmeray. "How exactly does an Original vampire get to go to the witch purgatory? Shouldn't Esmeray and Vincent be going in?"

"I died a witch," explained Kol with surprising patience, "I spent months there, trapped and tormented by the Ancestors. Esmeray isn't a New Orleans witch, but she's a witch, meaning she can perform the spell while you anchor us here."

"O-Kay," said Josh, dragging out the 'O' and pursing his lips as Vincent took out a knife and sliced into his palm, letting the blood drip into the bowl Esmeray had made with the record. The witch then handed the knife to Kol, who did the same thing.

"Once we cross over," Vincent explained to Kol, "we're gonna be in enemy territory. We're gonna have to move quick to conjure Davina and get the bomb set. Otherwise, the Ancestors are gonna shut us both down."

Josh looked nervously between them. "Hmm... okay... well maybe, just make sure that doesn't happen?"

"It's highly unlikely," said Esmeray. "With me doing the spell, I'm latching them very tightly onto you. All you have to do is hold their hands and stay calm. Vincent, your potion—?"

Vincent brought out a small vial and uncorked it, making Kol scrunch up his nose. "Really? Hemlock?"

"Old school," muttered Josh. "Respect..." he took Vincent and Kol's hands as the two laid back, eyes closed.

Esmeray sat up on her knees and let her palms hover over Kol and Vincent's chests. "Prezeve lyen lavi nou," she whispered, "prezeve lyen lavi nou. Prezeve lyen lavi nou..."

She couldn't sense if they'd already entered the Ancestral well, but she had to assume that they had. Under her breath, she continued to chant, watching Josh to make sure that all was well. As their anchor, he'd be the one indicating if anything was wrong on the other side. What would happen then? Esmeray had no clue. She didn't look forward to having to go in to get them.

They waited for several tense moments before Vincent gave a gasp and woke up. "Well?" asked Esmeray. "What happened?"

"Davina was there," he said, getting up and beginning to gather the materials. "We planted it— I expect she sent me back so she could talk to Kol privately."

The tomb started to shake as Kol opened his eyes, tears starting to spill out of them. "Uh, guys," said Josh as Kol slowly got to his feet, "pretty sure that's our cue."

The four started to run out of the tomb as the floor shook more violently. The foundation of each major structure started to crack, and tombs were beginning to explode. They'd only just made it out when Kol stopped and faced back, smiling. "Give 'em hell, Davina Claire."

There was a massive gust of wind, and an explosion that surprisingly didn't knock them off their feet. Esmeray saw tongues of fire bursting up into the air, and when the dust cleared, she could feel the lack of magic in the cemetery.

"I take it your plan worked?" she heard Detective Kinney say as he walked up behind them.

"Yeah," said Vincent. He and Esmeray nodded to each other. "Ancestors are cut off, we're free."

"Come on," said Esmeray, putting her hand on Kol's shoulder. "Let's go home."

What awaited them at home was shocking.

They knew something was wrong because the house was eerily silent. It was never this quiet in the Compound.

They shared a look and bolted separate ways. Esmeray ran to Klaus's art room, and found him sitting by the window, crying.

"Oh my god," she said, thinking something had happened with Hope. "What happened, Klaus? Who's hurt?"

She came closer when he didn't answer, and kneeled beside him, taking his hand. "Klaus," she said, caressing his palm. "What is it?"

"Marcel is dead," he whispered.

"What?"

"Elijah killed him," he added, looking away from her. "He had the serum. The one you extracted from Aurora."

"But— but how?"

"Freya gave the vial to Vincent to examine. He gave it to Marcel."

"Oh my... Klaus..." She sat up and pulled him into a tight hug. He placed his arms around her, but did not squeeze. He was still in shock, and Esmeray could sense that the way he trembled wasn't just from sadness. He was trying to contain his rage. He wanted to stop himself from hurting his brother in retaliation.

"I did not wish him dead," he said, sliding one of his hands up to grip her shoulder, his arm covering her heart as if to stop someone from trying to rip it out again. "I simply wished... I wished to apologize... to speak to him..." He growled slightly. "Elijah believes it was necessary. I refuse to..."

Esmeray couldn't see how this was necessary in any way. Just because Marcel had the serum didn't mean he was going to take it. He could have just been taunting them, to see how they'd react. He was already angry with Elijah. Perhaps he'd wanted to incite fear in him.

"The stupid prophecy," Klaus whispered. "He says Freya saw Marcel... becoming the beast in it."

"And he thought to kill him to put it to rest?" Esmeray whispered back. "But... jeez, I would think someone that invested in literature would see a cruel pattern in mythology... we can't outrun prophecies. What if this just made it worse?"

"What of Rebekah?" Klaus said shakily. "How will she feel when she knows Elijah killed her love? Just knowing that Lucien hurt you was enough to drive me insane... I hurt her so many bloody times... I kept her and Marcel from being together... I killed her lovers thousands of times... but this? She would have expected it from me, not Elijah. She loved Marcel above all the others. This will break her. She will not survive it."

"Hey, look at me," she said, pulling back to hold his face. "I will do my best work to bring Marcel and Davina back. There's no Other Side anymore, so it won't be easy, but it's not impossible. I will do whatever the hell I have to do, even if it's dark magic, if it means bringing them both back. I won't let this be the end, Klaus, I promise you."

"You don't have to do that, love," he mumbled, closing his eyes tightly and letting a few more tears slip down his cheeks. "I don't want you to hurt yourself."

"I won't. I want to do this, Klaus. Please, just tell me how I can help you, and I will do whatever it takes to fix this. I don't want to see you feeling this kind of pain. I don't want you to go through what I did with Anya, Jackson, and the baby. Please, let me help."

"I-I'd like to go to his loft. We can retrieve a personal item of his there."

"Alright. Come on, let's go."

Esmeray drove them there. Obviously, she wasn't the best driver, but she didn't want Klaus stressing about anything. She let him relax in the passenger's seat, and when she parked in front of the building, ran around to the other side of the car to open the door for him before leading him up.

He made a beeline for the bookshelf, which was nearest the door. In it, he found a particular book that seemed to mean something to him, but he swallowed back the tears that tried to form. The couple heard footsteps approaching, and Klaus opened up to a random page before saying, "'When sorrows come, they come no single spies, but in battalions,'" out loud, in time for Vincent and Josh to hear. He closed the book. "Hamlet. We taught Marcel to read with this very copy."

"Cool," said Josh, knowing he wasn't speaking just to Esmeray. "Well, he's not here, so..."

"He's dead," said Klaus, tucking the book under his arm before walking back out the way they came. Esmeray followed quickly after him, seeing that he'd gone to sit in the passenger's seat again.

"Is there anywhere else you'd like to go?" she asked gently.

"Home," he murmured, bringing the book up to cover his eyes as he started to cry again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

137K 5.6K 64
No one knows what happens when you die. It's a mystery that has always been. So when my time came, I accepted it with open arms. But as I entered my...
64.5K 2.8K 36
She needed a job, and he needed a governess for the boy he adopted at a funeral. Before either of them knew it, they were getting more out of the arr...
97.9K 2.9K 36
Left with nothing, she accepted to living in the home of the most dangerous vampires in the world, despite knowing she'd be powerless if they decided...
352K 5.8K 23
Their love is unconditional, bounded by hundreds of years together. An Original vampire and an Original hybrid put together makes the world a dangero...