As Happy As I've Never Been...

By helloyesthisisrachel

As Rachel's friends win tickets to a band she's never heard of, her life changes... She meets people who bel... More

~Chapter One~
~Chapter Two~
~Chapter Three~
~Chapter Four~
~Chapter Five~
~Chapter Six~
~Chapter Seven~
~Chapter Eight~
~Chapter Nine~
~Chapter Ten~
~Chapter Eleven~
~Chapter Twelve~
~Chapter Thirteen~
~Chapter Fourteen~
~Chapter Fifteen~
~Chapter Sixteen~
~Chapter Seventeen~
~Chapter Eighteen~
~Chapter Twenty~
Epilogue
*Author's note*

~Chapter Nineteen~

91 2 1
By helloyesthisisrachel

“RACHEL WAKE UP!”  My lovely Jordyn yells.

“I'm up I'm up.” I say, groggily. Not really ready for anything.

“Guess what day it is?” She yells.

“Sunday.” I say with certainty while sitting up and shoving my hair into a ponytail.

“And do you know what happens on Sundays?” Jordyn asks excitedly, plopping down on my bed.

“Obviously not.” I say with a yawn.

“WE PLAY BOARD GAMES.” She exclaims.

“Oh joy.” I say, completely dreading it.

“Oh come on, you’ll love it.” She says with a smile and bounds out of my room. Apparently, Jordyn has started dressing more girly since she’s been here.

Jordyn:  http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=67995296

With a sigh, I heave myself out of bed and head into the shower. After getting all clean and nice, I shove my hair up into a pony tail, because I can already feel that today is not a day to give a shit. I quickly throw on an old shirt of mine and apply some eyeliner and lip gloss. I shove a bright ring on my finger just to add some color and slip a necklace over my head. Yeah, long hair don’t care.

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=67995754

I look myself over once in the mirror and sigh to myself one more time before heading down stairs. I get down stars and I see that everyone is semi-dressed up, but still no Jared and Eli.

I just go and sit next to Jordyn on the couch, still wondering what the general fuck is up.

Bella: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=67996184

Rebecca: http://www.polyvore.com/hello_there_angel_from_my/set?id=67442507

Catherine: http://www.polyvore.com/untitled_234/set?id=67758078

I watch them setting up The Game of Life before someone acknowledges my presence. “Rachel.” Louis says and I look at him. “Why aren’t you dressed?” He asks.

“Huh?”

“We always dress nicely to play board games.” He says, and my confusion deepens.

“…why?” I ask.

“It’s a tradition.” Harry says with a smile.

“How’d it start?” I ask.

“Doesn’t matter, but you should go get dressed.” Louis says.

“Why?” I ask, I don’t want to change.

“Because you have to be dressed nicely to play board games.” Zayn says, and I give him a look of disbelief.

“Are y’all messing with me?” I ask and look at Jordyn and Rebecca, who shake their heads no.

“Nope!” Niall says and pops his p. For the first time, I look at Catherine, whom Niall has his arm around, and she’s wearing jeans.

“Catherine’s wearing jeans!” I protest, and she scoffs.

“But I have on a nice shirt and heels.” She says, feeling the need to show off her heels.

“Nice shirt? Oh Catherine, I thought butterflies were for lesbians.” I say, using the only thing I can think of. And she looks down at her shirt then grabs Niall’s face and gives him a huge, disgustingly loud, kiss.

“Lesbian-ize that, bitch.” She says, her claws coming out. So now we ALL see that she doesn’t like me.

“Ok, you’re crazy.” I say and take a step back, I don’t know what she’s going to do, after, she’s crazy.

“Childern.” Liam says with a certain authority. “Rachel, although Catherine was wrong to call you a bitch, it is tradition to dress up for Sunday Funday.” He says this with such seriousness that, even though I want to laugh, I can’t. I mean, for Hell’s sake, he said the word Funday.

“Can’t there be a new tradition in which Rachel gets to be lazy?” I ask, trying not to whine, but I really don’t want to go get changed.

“No.” Catherine says, dead serious. I just look over at her and stick my tongue out and make a weird face, and I hear Niall make a snort-like sound and hold in laughter before Catherine hits him. I give a pleading look to Liam and he sighs.

“Sorry Rachel, we all had to dress up.” He says.

“Well technically, you didn’t HAVE to…” I say trailing off and trying to stall.

“Come on Rachel.” Rebecca says.

“Yeah it’s fun!” Jordyn says with a smile, and Louis who is sitting right next to her plants a kiss on her cheek. I'm astonished.  Jordyn never used to think that dressing up was “fun.” Fuck this, I'm going to my room. I stand up and get approving glances from everyone as they continue to set up Life and establish teams. They think I'm leaving to change, but no, I am going to sit in my room and play on my phone until they forget that I exist. I flop on my bed and pick up  my phone to see that I have a text message from Ed.

“Mornin.” It reads.

“Hey!” I send back, I get a response quickly.

“What up?” He asks.

“Pretending not to exist. You?” I ask him in return, and again await the answer.

“Fancy a walk?” He asks, and I think about it for a moment.

“Sure.” I send back and grab a jacket before tiptoe-ing down the stairs.

“I BROKE MY LAPTOP?! REALLY?!” I hear Jordyn yell and I know it’s safe to sneak past. As I tip toe past, I look into the living room, and they all seem so happy, and none of them are looking at me. Well, almost none. Niall catches my eye and he’ staring at me. Quickly, I put a finger in front of my mouth in a quieting motion, he nods then goes back to the game, and I make sure I'm out of sight before anyone else can notice me. I remember to grab a key on the way out, and I close the door softly behind me.  My phone vibrates in my pocket and I pull it out to see a text from Ed.

“Meet you at the Starbucks, 2 blocks down from the boys.” The text reads and I send back a simple ok before I shove my jacket on and putting the key in my pocket. I start walking, noticing how cold it’s getting. Not that I don’t love the cold, but walking in it sucks. Finally I get to Starbucks, and I'm not sure if Ed is there or not. I pull my phone out of my pocket before entering to make sure I haven’t missed his text, but I haven’t. I enter Starbucks, and order a hot chocolate at the counter. I wait a couple minutes as the barista fixes it, then hands it to me. I look around before noticing a certain bright green hoodie waving at me.

“Conspicuous.” I tell Ed with a smile as I sit down at his table. He laughs slightly, and I take in what he’s wearing. It’s a normal Ed get up, jeans, sneakers and a hoodie, nothing special or fancy.

“I thought you’d be playing board games with the boys.” He says, a small smile playing on his lips.

“No, they kicked me out like Regina in sweat pants.” I say.

“Um…?” He asks.

“Mean Girls? Regina wears sweat pants and it’s not a Friday so it isn’t allowed and she’s not allowed to sit with her popular friends?” I ask, hoping it rings a bell.

“Oh yes, I think I recall watching that movie once…” He says, obviously, he’s never seen it.

“Anyway, did you know they dress up to play board games?” I ask him, the thought still ridiculous in my head.

“Yes, yes I did.” He says.

“Well I didn’t, and they told me to go change, and I just kind of… left.” I say, it sounds bad, but I'm not sure that I really care at this point.

“Did you tell them you were leaving?” Ed asks, slightly amused.

“Er… no? But Niall saw me leave, so I'm pretty sure they’ll all know eventually.” I say with a shrug and slip my hot chocolate.

“Well anyway, I have a surprise for you.” He says with a smile, and my heart drops into my stomach.

“What kind of surprise?” I ask him, suddenly nervous.

 “Remember how you told me last night that you were nervous for your audition tomorrow?” He asks me, a smile growing on his face.

“I do recall, yes.” I answer.

“Good, come with me.” He says, standing up.

“Where?” I ask, following him, drink in hand.

“You’ll see.” He says, turning to look at me, and I'm sure I flush a deep shade of red. Good thing I applied the little amount of makeup I did.

After about 5 minutes of walking, I recognize my surroundings.

“Hey, I was here last night. I walked this way while trying to get to the boys’ house.”  I say.

“Why were you walking?” He asks.

“Long, overly complicated story.” I say, not really wanting to tell him anything. I mean, the fact that we’re getting along so well right now is a small miracle, because I don’t forgive easily.

“Anyway, we’re here.” He says as we start to cross the street. Where are we crossing to? The theater I passed last night.

“Yeah, I came here. My feet always lead me somewhere I trust, even when I have no clue where I am.” I say ,a smile on my face.

“Did you go in?” He asks me, a smile now on his face too.

“Well no.” I say.

“Well now you are.” He says and pulls out a key from his pocket and opens the front door and lets us in.

“How?” I ask.

“I know a guy.” He says, shrugging. I laugh and follow him around a mess of hallways, eventually, he tells me to stay where I am, and he leaves me, in the dark.

“Rachel!” I hear Ed yell from far away.

“Yeah?” I answer.

“Can you see anything?!” His voice calls again.

“No.” I answer and I hear a switch being flipped, and suddenly, the entire room lights up. I'm on the stage, and all lights are on me.

“I thought maybe you’d want to practice your audition song before you’re being graded on it.” He says from the center aisle in the audience. “You do have a song picked out, don’t you?” He asks, and I can see a small grin on his face.

“Well, yes, but I don’t have the music, and I haven’t warmed up and-“ I start, getting all flustered.

“Rachel, just sing.” He says, and I just give him a look. He settles himself into one of the aisle seats, and I quickly put down my hot chocolate and jacket on the edge of the stage. I look down and make sure I'm center stage before I start singing.

“If I would stay, I would only be getting in your way. So I'll go but I know, I'll think of you every step of the way. And I... will always love you. I will always love you. You… My darling you.” I sing, slowly picking my head up from where I was looking, and folding my hands over my diaphragm.

“Bittersweet memories, that is all I'm taking with me. So good-bye, please don't cry. We both know I'm not what you, you need.” I say, a little sadness trickling through my words, but I don’t let it affect the notes.

“And I... Will always love you. I... Will always love you. You. I hope life treats you kind and I hope you have all you've dreamed of. And I wish you joy and happiness, but above all this I wish you love.” I sing, and brace myself for the chorus that uses so much power in my chest voice that my entire body shakes.

“And I... Will always love you. I... Will always love you. I, I will always love. You....You. Darling I love you, I'll always, I'll always, Love You..” I say, finishing the song and catching my breath. I love that song, but it’s difficult to sing.

“I'm not sure about that song.” I hear Ed pipe.

“What is there not to be sure about?!” I ask, getting slightly offended, I mean holy hell, I just poured my soul into that!

“It just doesn’t echo correctly in this theater, sing a different one.” He says, and I sigh. Might as well.

“Well it’s only a 16 bar audition, so I don’t have to sing the whole song.” I say, because I really don’t want to sing all of this song.

“Then only sing 16 bars.” He says. I nod and brace myself for what I consider one of the hardest parts of, “I Dreamed A Dream “ from Les Mis.

“But the tigers come at night, with their voices soft as thunder. As they tear your hope apart, as they turn your dream to shame.” I sing, executing the notes perfectly. When I finish singing, I hear applause.

“Now that’s the song you should sing!” Ed says, walking towards the edge of the stage.

“Oh really?” I say, slightly shocked. “I don’t think it fits the character’s vocal range as much as the other one.” I say, walking to the lip of the stage and sitting down on it as he jumps up and sits next to me.

“But it didn’t sound as good in this venue, and that’s what counts.” He says, a smile formulating on his face. I shove him playfully.

“Whatever, Captain Famous.” I say, playfully.

“You’re going to be famous too, Rachel. I don’t doubt it.” He says, looking at me genuinely, all playfulness gone. I reach over and hug him.

“Thank you.” I say, sincerely, and when I release him, we talk for a couple hours before I finally go back to the house.

                                                                *             *             *

“Hello, my name is Rachel Robins.” I say, standing on the stage in my audition outfit.

http://www.polyvore.com/untitled_201/set?id=64997479

 “Hello Rachel.” I voice in the darkness says. The full stage lights are on, and that means I really cannot see out into the audience. “It’s strange to hear you don’t have an accent, where are you from?” The voice asks.

“I'm from El Paso, Texas.” I say, not wanting to over answer the question, but answer fully.

“Do you happen to know Jordyn?” The voice, whom I am assuming is the director, asks.

“Yes sir, she was the one who informed me of the audition.” I answer, respectfully.

“Ah, then what will you be singing for us today?” He asks.

“I Dreamed A Dream from Les Misérables.”

“Start when you’re ready.” He says, and I had already talked it over with the pianist, and we agreed that he would follow me, and just to start singing. I sing my song, and as per usual for auditions, I got nothing more than a thank you, and that the cast list would be emailed by the end of the day. Phew. That was nerve racking. Now, we wait.

Quietly, I slink back into the house. Everyone was pretty pissed at me yesterday, and I have a feeling that something bad is going to happen. I'm just not sure what. I quietly go up to my room and slip into pajama’s, since I'm really not doing anything else today. I get on my bed and open up my laptop, and make a silent vow to myself. To avoid nervous refreshing of my email, I will simply not check it at all until 8 o’clock. I look down at the clock to see it’s only 5… Sigh, I guess it’s time to go on Tumblr.

At exactly 8:01 I log onto my email. I see a new email in my inbox, from the director and it’s labeled, “Cast List”

Oh Shit, here we go.

“RACHEL!” Jordyn yells from outside my door. Mother fucker the email hasn’t even finished loading yet. Jordyn brusts through the door and runs over and hugs me.

“Woah, what up?” I ask, hugging her back.

“LOOK!” She yells, and she shoves her IPad in my face. I got Natalie.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1K 26 15
Two couples... one already set in stone and madly in love... while the other is just getting set up.... what happens when the girlfriend of Harry Sty...
8.2K 16 33
4 bestfriends win tickets to see One Direction in London! They bump into someone special and their lives are turned upside down...
125K 3.3K 42
Some of us just need to find our other halves. Others need to find ourselves.
1.5K 6 33
April falls in love with Niall Horan and because of him her life is about to take an amazing turn.