Blackbourne Investigations 01...

By 1Lisamurray

Sang has been haunted her whole life by a sick boy with an obsession. Tired of being on the run she settles... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Max
Chapter 2 - Kota
Chapter 3 - Kota cont.
Chapter 4 - Victor
Chapter 5 - Silas
Chapter 6 - ~A~
Chapter 7 - Nathan
Chapter 8 - Nathan cont.
Chapter 9 - Gabriel
Chapter 10 - Gabe cont. (hijacked by Nathan)
Chapter 11 - Gabriel cont. Take Two
Chapter 12 - ~A~ Report
Chapter 13 - Gabe cont. (still!)
Chapter 14 - Stop! Kota time...
Chapter 15 - The beginnings of Luke with a dash of Silas
Chapter 16 - Lunch
Chapter 17 - And He Arrives
Chapter 18 - ~A~
Chapter 19 - the Aftermath
Chapter 20 - Luke
Chapter 21 - Luke cont.
Chapter 22 - Luke cont. Cont.
Chapter 23 - North
Chapter 24 - North cont.
Chapter 25 - ~A~
Chapter 26 - The Scene of the Crime
Chapter 27 - A Favour Owed
Chapter 28 - Introducing...
Chapter 29 - Dr. Green
Chapter 30 - Dr. Green cont.
Chapter 31 - The good Doctor hands her over
Chapter 32 - Home Again
Thanks

Chapter 33 - Mr. Blackbourne

12.1K 606 79
By 1Lisamurray

I felt warm and secure, my eyelashes slowly easing open before drifting closed again.

My night had been fraught with dreams and waking up in a panic to have Nathan's touch and warmth lulling me back into sleep.

Now it was time to wake-up I couldn't seem to get my body to move. I was snuggled into Nathan, my forehead pressed to his bare chest. I knew somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind that this wasn't what you did with someone you barely knew, but I couldn't find it in myself to care. No doubt later embarrassment would set in, but for now, I'd just enjoy it. I let out a small sigh before beginning the descent back into sleep.

A soft brush of something on my forehead caused my eyes to open slowly again. Nathan looked down at me, his hair mussed and an unreadable look on his face. His fingers traced a strand of hair down my cheek and tucked it behind my ear causing my eyes to flutter shut again.

Easing carefully away he silently went into the bathroom. I rolled further into the blankets, feeling his body warmth in them and drifted back into sleep.

'Sang' a soft hand on my hair jerked me awake. Wide awake. I sat up bolt straight, nearly cracking Nathan with my head. I looked around wildly before turning to Nathan. I willed for my mind to make sense of everything, blinking at him owlishly.

I staggered to my feet, rushing to the bathroom and shutting the door with a thud. I leant against the door, reviewing my night. I was blushing from the memory of spending the majority of it clinging to Nathan like a limpet. Who does that?

The horror that I didn't have my clothes in the bathroom dawned on me. I would have to go out and walk past him an additional time. I eased the door open, peeking out. I couldn't see him in the living room, perhaps he was in the kitchen. I darted across to my room and slammed the door. Leaning against my bedroom door I breathed my relief.

To see Nathan straightening from my bed, my blankets back in place and my bed made.

He looked at my position, pressed against the back of the door, 'Was there a ...' he paused and grimaced before saying in a careful voice 'a thing? You know, Code Black?'

I shook my head mutely. I had to get myself together, I was a mess. I scurried around the room grabbing my things and raced back to the bathroom. I worked quickly through my morning preparations, my thoughts on how I was going to act with Nathan this morning. How much did I say or give away last night? Nothing good came of those who knew about my problems.

With a quick glance in the mirror I checked that my hair was securely pinned back. I had parted it deep to one side, allowing for a sweep across my forehead in an attempt to detract from the white steri-stripes still on my cheek. I took in the new dress, it looked just as good as I had remembered. Picking up my jacket I headed into the living area.

I was excited to be wearing my new dress. I hoped I wouldn't feel quite so out of place. I enjoyed the heady feeling you get when you wear something new that you love, the small boost of confidence. Hopefully it would help me with Nathan.

The sight of Nathan carefully spreading toast with jam greeted me. He had toasted the last three slices of my bread and had set out two plates for our breakfast. His eyes lit up as I came closer.

He didn't seem to begrudge me anything. Always seeming to accept me and my problems. I cautiously approached him, waiting for some kind of comment about my clingy night.

He pushed a plate across the counter toward me before picking up a piece of toast and crunching into it. 'How are you feeling this morning, did you get enough sleep?'

I nodded. Any sleep I had I owed to him. 'Thanks for,' I shrugged, 'everything again. I feel like all I ever do is thank you.'

He put his toast back onto his plate and rubbed the extra crumbs off his fingers, all the while keeping his gaze on me. He gave a small sigh. 'I would like you to tell me about who you thought was here last night.'

I dropped my eyes to my plate, moving the toast backwards and forwards with my finger. I wasn't answering that. I couldn't answer that. 'It was nothing, just an old nightmare.' I glanced up to him to see if he accepted it.

His face remained sceptical.

'I...I have some occasionally.'

He picked up his toast again and continued to eat. Finishing his toast he rinsed and dried his plate. Walking past he pulled me into a one armed hug, his lips against my hair. 'You look beautiful Sang. I'm glad you called me. I hope one day you'll trust me.' His closeness now felt familiar. His lips against my hair excited me. His words stupefied me.

He released me and headed to the corner, picking up his bag ready to leave. My heart resumed it's beating.

I carefully packed my handbag, picking up my new phone and looking at it. I didn't think I would need it today, everyone who had my number worked with me. I debated what to do, it was useless in my apartment, yet at the same time, I saw no purpose to taking it with me. I dropped it into my bag with a shrug. At least if Gabriel asked for proof I could show it to him.

'You might want to check your messages later, they've been wondering why you didn't answer them.'

I looked at Nathan with surprise. Pulling out my phone I flipped it open to see the envelope icon in the corner of the screen. They were messages? I struggled to remember what Wil had told me yesterday. I flipped through the menu, searching for the messages before putting it back into my bag for later. I'd sort it out when I could get some help.

We walked down to the car in silence. My mind turning over what Nathan had said. I had thought by letting him take me to my apartment I was trusting him. What more could he be referring to?

Travelling to work I enjoyed the luxury of driving there. The warmth of the car on the cool morning.

Nathan swung into the underground carpark, parked the SUV then turned to me. 'I hope you have a good day today. Don't be surprised if everyone wants to know exactly what happened last night,' his eyes drifted to my cheek while his lips downturned. 'If it gets too much, let Kota or I know. Or North. Or... Just tell someone and they'll sort it out.'

We walked up the internal stairs from the car park. I looked around taking it all in, noting the security cameras located even here. Nathan held open the door to reception allowing me to step inside.

Immediately inside was a familiar face. One of the bodyguards I had 'met' the other day. He stood to the side of the reception doors, hands clasped behind his back. His face was stoic, a slight twitch of his lips the only indication he had seen me enter the room. I stiffed before forcing myself to give him a small nod and walked to my desk. Turning my computer on I watched Nathan give the bodyguard a small chin lift before heading down the hallway to the Kota's office.

I headed in the opposite direction, opening the tearoom door cautiously. It was empty. Quickly packing my handbag away I stood indecisively in front of the kitchenette. My nerves couldn't take a drink at the moment. What I had eaten earlier sat like lead in my stomach. He was here. The poor unsuspecting person I had assaulted. Sooner or later he would have to come through the reception and we would meet. I felt ill.

With nervousness I sat down into my chair and began the morning tasks, the heavy gaze of the bodyguard reminding me of my impending introduction. There was only one message on the answering machine, it was for Luke about a retrieval job. Checking the roster I found where Luke should be at the moment, he had the control room shift 7am-2pm. Picking up the phone I punched in the numbers to connect us.

'Hello Sang!'

'Hi Luke. I have a message for you I am about to bring down. Would you like anything from the tearoom?'

There was a pause before a smile sounded in his voice 'Why yes, I'd love something from the tearoom. If you swear not to tell anyone, I'll tell you where my stash is.'

His conspiratorial whisper warmed, me, easing my nerves. I sent the bodyguard a glance before lowering my voice 'Your secret is safe with me.'

He whispered back the location and what he wanted. I wasn't sure if it really was a secret from everyone else but the thought that he was sharing his stash location gave me a small boost of confidence. I stood up just as Kota's door down the hallway swung open.

A bodyguard stepped out followed by Kota, Nathan and Mr. Perfection. I took a controlled deep breath. I could do this. Kota hadn't seemed concerned when we had discussed my meeting with Mr. Perfection, he had seemed vaguely amused even. I just had to be polite and act like nothing happened. Hopefully the memory of it had faded for him as well as the following melt-down from me.

They walked casually out to reception, the bodyguard joining the other, standing beside the reception door, observing the room.

The three men slowed to stop. All of them had their eyes fixed on me. Kota's jaw tightened slightly before exchanging a glance with Nathan.

Kota stepped forward, bridging the gap between us. He gestured towards me and began the introductions.

'Owen, this is Sang our new receptionist, I believe you've met her before.' He paused before turning to me. 'Sang, this is Owen Blackbourne.'

My heart stopped. Time slowed for a moment before speeding up with a rush. My heart thudded and I felt my face drain of colour. Straightening my back and lifting my chin slightly I gave him a smile. 'Pleasure to meet you.'

His steel eyes watched me closely through his black frames, 'Likewise.' His voice was a cool chill down my back. His eyes narrowed on my face.

I clutched the message tightly in my hand, the paper crinkling in the silence. Glancing down I remembered what I had stood to do. Giving them all a fixed smile, I gestured down the hall.

'I've just got to deliver some things to Luke, if you'll excuse me.'

I walked purposely down the hall, diving into the tearoom and staring vacantly around. My legs felt like jelly. I walked to where Luke had told me his stash was and got out his requested treats, rubbing my fingers absentmindedly over them. I placed the variety of unopened herbal tea boxes back into place, effectively hiding Luke's goodies.

I shut the cupboard and leaned my head against the door. Blanking my mind I took a deep breath, held it and slowly exhaled. The name snuck back into my mind, echoing around. Owen Blackbourne, Blackbourne Investigations. I felt like my fragile world was crashing down.

There was faint static before Gabriel's voice barked through a hidden speaker 'Sang, get that sweet ass down to the control room now.'

The command in his voice snapped me to attention. I hurried to the door and without looking at reception raced to the control room door and knocked randomly on it. It slid open halfway through my third knock.

Gabriel stood immediately inside, his hand snaking out and gently clasping my wrist, pulling me further into the room.

Luke stood from his seat near the computer screens, turning his back on them and striding towards me. They both stood close, their faces concerned, watching me closely.

The door slid shut behind me, sealing us in.

'Sang. What's wrong?'

My mind was a blur of emotions and doubts, I felt like the rug had been pulled out from under my feet. I had assaulted the owner of the business. An obvious leader in their family. A family which stood more united than any I had ever seen. I opened my mouth before slowly closing it. What could I say? His expressionless face when I saw him, the coolness of his eyes, the memory of the day. I trembled.

I pushed the words past my lips, 'I think I've lost my job.'

THE END

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

211K 18.4K 59
Sang's storybook happy ending is just within her grasp. Now that everyone involved with the distribution of JH-14 and the whole money laundering sch...
33.4K 2.2K 16
|COMPLETE| A Ghost Bird Fanfiction. Sang arrives in a Charleston foster home after the untimely death of her mother. Little does she know, adjusting...
5.2K 312 10
It started out with an unjustified hatred for her by those around her. She had been nothing but an innocent pulled into this world of evil. Because...
96.4K 5.4K 50
Sang Sorenson has everything going for her. She's been accepted into the Academy, she's working off her debts, and her plan with the guys is still go...