The Kingpin's sister

By Baabiiee_doll

Whenever you hear the name Kimani Sumner in the streets of the.Bronx, her older brother, KJ's, name is spoken... More

001
002
003
004
005
006
007
008
009
010
011
012
013
014
015
016
017
018
019
020
021
022
023
024
025
026
027
028
029
030
031
032
033
034
035
036
037
038
039
040
041
042
043
044
045
046
047
048
050
051

049

4.7K 177 44
By Baabiiee_doll

After Dashawn left, I took a few more minutes to myself. I didn't feel like dealing with anyone and not to mention going too far from the toilet as I couldn't stop throwing up.

I couldn't wait for my doctors appointment , they were suppose to give me pills that will help curb the nauseousness that I felt and I'll be able to finally keep down a meal.

"Knock knock."

There was a few knocks at the door before it slid open.

"I thought I would bring you breakfast ..." mom peaked her head from around the door with a plate in hand.

The smell instantly hit my nose and caused my stomach to turn. "Thank you but please." I covered my nose hoping that would help. "Plus, I know you're just bringing me food cause you feel bad."

She backed out the door and stepped back in without the plate closing the door behind her.

"That's not why I brought you food but I do feel bad." She took a seat down beside me. "I just couldn't let her sleep outside with the little girl."

"I understand that and that isn't even the issue... you just hid the shit from me like I was some monster." I rolled my eyes averting my attention back to my phone screen.

"Good news is ... she should be out soon with the money she's been making at the club ." She rested a hand on my leg. "I know you aren't a monster but I also know you are your fathers daughter."

"What the f-.." I bit my lip catching myself , i could see her eyebrow raise from the corner of my eye. Sometimes I forget who my mother is.. a woman of God who wouldn't spare the rod no matter how old I was. "What is that suppose to mean?"

"I know you don't like her... shoot sweetie she knows that and I know you wouldn't wanna be sleeping under the same roof as a person you saw as an enemy."

"Not an enemy... just someone I have to keep a close eye on and what does that have to do with dad?" I felt like the question answers itself honestly. My dad wouldn't want to be sleeping under the same roof as someone he saw as an enemy.

He'd even feel betrayed by the person who let them in.

"Your father isn't the type to mingle with people he sees as enemies.. same with KJ and you know deep down the same with you." She rested her hand over my thigh and gave it a squeeze.

"Isn't mingling with someone you see as an enemy just being fake ? I mean unless they're contributing something to what you're doing they aren't ..." I trailed off as I felt a wave of recognition wash over.

I did sound like him... although I figured everyone would stay away from people they saw as an issue but I did say I wanted to keep her close. This was the perfect opportunity to do so.

"You know what mom.... It's fine she's here."

"Huh?" She looked over at me confused. "You're not about to make that little girl an orphan are you?"

"W-what ?! Mom! No that's a terrible thing to assume." If isn't like it hasn't crossed my mind...but I would never. "Another trait from my dad huh? Just stone cold murderer?"

"Technically you don't even do- anyways it was just a joke.... Thank you for not being upset and I'm going to go dispose of the food unless that pitbull of yours got to it first."

"If you left it on the floor by my room the plate is definitely empty." I chuckled and watched as she made her way out the room.

I know I promised Dash I would stay out of everyone's business and worry about "our pregnancy" as he likes to call it but keeping an ear to things around me wasn't technically being in anyone's business right? I'm just being observant and paying attention.

It'll be such amazing practice for the baby.

I couldn't pass up this opportunity to sharpen my skills to be a better and thriving mother right ?

I laughed to myself at the excuse I tried to make to go against Dash's simple request of me.

Taking a few more minutes to myself before heading down in to the kitchen where a bit of commotion was coming from.

"He looks just like his daddy doesn't he ?" Mom was standing by the window with Kairo in her arms and her phone held up , showing whoever she was on FaceTime with my nephew.

"Where's Ebony?" I questioned. "Is she okay?"

"I'm glad he don't look like his raggedy ass grandfather." She took herself away from the FaceTime call for a moment to answer me. "Uh- I came down here and Kairo was in the living room, I have no idea where Ebony is."

"Ebony left!" The high pitched voice caused me to jump a bit. I didn't notice Delilah sitting at the table with a few sheets of paper and crayons spread all over the counter.

"You scared me, I didn't even notice you there ." I greeted her with a smile before walking over.

She had a few drawings already placed to the side of her while she worked on a fresh sheet.

"You're a good little artist huh?"

"Yeah!" Delilah swiped away a few loose strands of hair from her face before picking up a drawing. "This is my grandmas room! She has pink walls and flowers everywhere !" I didn't get much time to look at the drawing before she quickly changed to the next. "This-this is me , mommy and mommy's new friend !"

This drawing I was able to catch a better glimpse of. "Mommies new friend looks a little scary." the drawing of the person she stated to be mommies friend was tall, drawn in black crayon and almost looked like a shadow demon.

"He's not scary , he has no hair!" She covered her mouth and giggles. "Like a baby."

"Yeah... bald people do look silly, you should see my dad." I shared in the laughter with the little girl before she directed her attention to her next drawing.

I stepped out of the kitchen and In to the living room to quickly take my phone out and dial Ebony's number.

I'm loving the idea of her jumping back to her regular self but if what's going on with her is postpartum depression, I would be a fool to not check on her.

"What the fuck..." I spoke to myself as the phone went straight to voicemail.

"What's with the language pretty lady?"

I was startled but not surprised to see Abigail coming from upstairs.

"You okay?"

"I'm fine, I'm just trying to figure out where Ebony disappeared to... she left Kairo here and she's been acting way out of wack."

"Acting out of wack ?" Abigail scoffed. "She's acting like a baby mother who's tired from having to take care of her child on her own... no offense , when I had Delilah about three weeks in, I disappeared for a few days and left her with my mom, I just needed to get away."

"Did you feel better after ?"

"I felt fine... maybe the time will do her some good- don't breath down here back too much... babies are hard to deal with you'll see soon mommy to be." She smiled at me, even though I could tell the smile was genuine... it still sent an unsettling shiver down my spine. "Oh! Also, I wanted to say , I'll be out of your hair soon.. I'm going to be looking at apartments this week."

"Ah- I don't want to talk about that, I have no issues with you." I shot her a quick smile. "Mom- I'm borrowing your car keys!"

"Okay sweetie!" She called out to me as I grabbed her keys off the table.

"Actually.. do you think we -" Abigail stopped herself for a moment before continuing. "Later do you think we could talk?"

"Talk about what - you know what, yeah sure .. later." I nodded , hoping whatever it was she wanted to talk about she'd simply forget or give it all up to my mom who'd eventually end up telling me.

As I was exiting the front door, my phone rang and the name 'Ebony' was sprawled across my screen.

"Where the fuck are you?" I blurted in to the phone before I could even give her a chance to reply.

The feeling of dread that was sitting in my stomach seemed to vanish as I pressed accept.

"I'm fucking home."

"Brianna?"

"What it do baby boo?"

"Why do you have her phone and why didn't you answer the first time I called ? It went straight to voicemail."

"One, she stopped by the crib for a little bit and left her phone here. She said she needed a bit of time and was heading to her moms crib and secondly, I was watching YouTube while shitting and I ignored the call."

"She left her phone cause she needed time? Should I go by her house?" I asked taking a few steps down the stairs and took a seat.

"Nah... leave her ass alone , she'll be back around , you know all too well what it's like being a woman that has to carry the load of a Sumner man.... No offense."

"Why does everyone keep saying that? Look I just wanted to make sure she was okay."

"Didn't a certain man tell a certain pregnant woman to start minding her damn business?" Brianna asked. "Look, just keep an eye on Kairo and I'll bring her phone to her crib in a few and check on her okay?"

"Alright...." I let a sigh of relief release from my lips.

"Now, what are you wearing."

"Goodbye Bri." I hung up the phone , laughing before she could protest or say anything else.

I dropped my head back , closed my eyes and took in a long deep pull of fresh air.

Ebony was going to be okay , she just needed a little time away from being a mommy.

"Don't worry... I won't need any time away from you." I looked down and smiled at my stomach. "Knowing your dad and your grandmas , I probably won't be seeing much of you once I pop you out..."

I wasn't showing or anything and there definitely wasn't a bump there but I liked to rest my hand on my stomach and just rest it there.

Dash did the same thing at night, ever since we've found out I was pregnant he sleeps with a hand resting on my stomach and it brought me so much comfort , maybe that's why I do it to myself.

As I sat there quietly, almost completely forgetting I was sitting on my front steps... I could hear the front door slowly open.

"You never left?"

"No..Abigail, I did not." I was hoping my voice didn't show any sign of irritation but I'm sure you can guess how that worked out.

"Perfect..." she smiles and plops down on the steps beside me. "I get to talk to to you."

"Absolutely perfect."

"Look, I already know you aren't my biggest fan... I know you don't like me but I fuck with you Kimani and the fact that you don't like me and still showed my daughter and I love shows how much of a big woman you are." Abigail took a deep breath in and exhaled. "You're truly a one of a kind person."

"What are you doing ? Proposing ?" I couldn't help but smirk slightly.

"Your dad is paying me to collect information on you guys and the club.."

I blinked a few times, my smirk quickly fading away.

"Your mom, brother and you have been nothing but kind - well you've been cold and you honestly have every right to be."

I didn't say anything as she continued to ramble on and her voice became nothing but a humming noise in the background.

Am I surprised ? Nope.

All the signs have been pointing to that, the warning from Whispers, seeing my dads truck by the club, her constant questioning and I'm guessing that bald "friend" her daughter drew was my father.

I've been playing dumb to the entire situation but blind ? No.

My stomach started to turn and it could of either been throw up. That I will happily projectile vomit on to her or it was that angry feeling. The feeling that stews in my stomach until I react on it.

"I tried telling Dash but he won't even give me the time of day."

My shoulders began to shake and she continued to talk and explain herself. I dropped my head and began to laugh. The laughter grew from a quiet chuckle to a loud one and it caused Abigail to shut up.

"Y-you think it's funny?" Abigail's voice seemed nervous as she spoke but she joined in on the laughter.

The sound of her laughing sort of made me feel as if she was mocking me. She played my brother and mother who were doing nothing but being kind to her.

There is a few things people know about my family. One of them being we don't take disrespect kindly and our enemies never last long.

If I told KJ about Abigail... she'd be gone.

There is no if ands or buts about it.

She'll be another smiling face on the news as the news anchor reads some poorly typed half cocked script to try and make her sound like a decent human being who didn't deserve to be found dead.

Her laughter continued and my next action wasn't one of my own. I sort of wished she wasn't sitting as close as she was because with a quick and swift movement my right hand was wrapped around her throat tightly and I pulled her in close.

My nails were digging in to the skin of her neck , her laughter stopped as she struggled to breathe and our faces were close enough that anyone on looking would assume I was going in for a kiss but that was far from what was going on.

"You must want to die." I whispered through tight pursued lips like a mother speaking to her child. "You know anything about my father?"

Abigail moved her hands that were at her side to my wrist, trying to pry my hand from her neck.

"He's a n-nic nice man." She finally managed to work out , my grip only tightened.

I snickered at her response. "That's the issue here, the streets see my father as a nice man... a bitch."

"I'm sor-"

"No... it's too late for sorry... you did it already, you stepped in to my household , smiled in my face - fuck that , played my mother ? " I took a quick peek at her neck and the area where my fingers were placed was beginning to turn red. "Now let's talk about KJ, if I'm reacting this way how do you think he's going to react ? Finding out he's being lied to... played under his own roof."

Her eyes widened.

As I sat there in silence for a quick moment the sound of Abigails daughter laughing could be heard through the door.

"Ayo!"

A car door slammed shut and KJ was standing beside his truck. "Y'all good?"

I gritted my teeth and pulled her in closet so I could whisper in to her ear.

"Keep your fucking mouth shut.. if KJ finds out, you're dead and if I find out you said anything to my father .. You're dead.... Got it?"

She nodded quickly

"Than-"

"Shut the fuck up, I'm doing this for your daughter... not you."

I let go of her neck and pushed her away.

She held her neck as she was gasping for air.

"What the fuck is going on?!" KJ asks as hs looked over at Abigail who was heaving at this point. "Is there a problem?" his expression was serious as he looked between the two of us.

It was a look I haven't seen myself in awhile but I could tell my expression is what tipped off this serious reaction.

He didn't play about his family and I know I must of looked crazy.

"Abigail was just telling me how she was being a little too flirty with Dash and she felt guilty" I looked over at her and smiled. "Right?"

She was still trying to catch her breath but she nodded and was able to speak. "Y-yes."

KJ narrowed his eyes as he looked over my face again and then almost like nothing his expression lightened up and he smiled.

"You're really crazy about that boy huh ?" He asks. "Your neck is tore up."

I would say crazy is a word to describe it. I was crazy, about Dash, my family, friends and myself.

I was probably crazy for not mentioning anything to KJ. I didn't want to be responsible for a little girl growing up without a mother.

KJ was ruthless

and sometimes I think I'm the same exact way as him.

"Hey King!" A voice called from the gate causing the three of us to turn our attention to them.

It was a man in tattered up clothing , his eyes darting between the three of us before he spoke again. "I need a little something."

"What you need to do is back the fuck up from my gate." KJ responses and the man obliged, he jumped back from the gate almost stumbling back.

"I'm sorry King."

KJ didn't say anything as he walked over to the gate , his hands shuffling in his pocket.

"I'm sorry.... " Abigail whispered. "I really am and thank you."

"You get choked out , apologize and thank me?" I shook my head. "We aren't done here... we'll talk later, just you and I."

I had a plan brewing already, I just needed time to get it together.

I stood up and wiped my self off before turning and heading back in to the house.

A few hours had passed and I spent my entire day on the couch watching reruns of Bob's Burgers and occasionally eating trying my hardest to keep it all down.

Abigail and Delilah had left , she was taking her to her grandmothers before her shift at the club.

Kairo was upstairs with my mom and KJ left shortly after he arrived.

Brianna FaceTimed me when she finally got to Ebony to show me she was okay.

As I was sprawled across the couch , enjoying the actual day of relaxation. My phone buzzed with a text message.

I chuckled at our pervious conversation from the other day before I got off the coach and headed towards the front door.

Once I stepped out, looking around. I couldn't see him anywhere but there was a nice car parked in the front.

The windows were too tinted for me to see who was inside.

I was about to step back inside, an unknown car sitting in front of your crib was never a good sign.

"Babe! It's me!" Dash called from the  window as he rolled it down. "Come here."

I walked over to the car , feeling a little silly for being so paranoid.

I popped open the passenger side door and hopped in.

"Who's car is this?" I asked.

"No , Hey babe.. how was your day?" Dash asked. "Not even a kiss?"

I looked at him with a raised brow but leaned over the middle console and pecked his lips. "Who's car is this?"

He chuckled , "it's ours."

"Ours?" I looked over the interior of the car and smiled. "You lying to me? Wait... is this what you went to do this morning?"

"Nah not lying... I'm sick of asking KJ or your moms to borrow they car and yes."

"So you bought us a BMW?"

"I don't got buy BMW money baby girl but daddy got pay for it monthly money." He laughs and holds his hand out. "An extra key."

"You didn't have to do that."

Dash leaned over closer to me as he spoke. "I told you , I am a man of action not just words , first the car next the place plus you're going to get bigger , you need reliable transportation." He pecked my lips and smiled. "I just mean I know it'll be tiring and you won't have to ask anyone for shit just ride in your own car."

"Yeah... nice cover up." I rolled my eyes. "I know you like them thick anyways , every time we watch porn together it's always the thick girls."

Dash laughed and rested his hand on my thigh giving it a light rub. "You can see that I have a type."

"Eh? Abigail?"

Dash took his hand away and sucked at his teeth.

"You aren't going to let that go?"

"Not while she's under my roof."

I actually don't really know why I brought up Abigail. I think it's because apart of me wanted to bring it up to him.

As I was running through my thoughts , Dash started the car up and rolled the windows up and pulling off from in front of the house.

"I really like the car baby." I smiled , changing the subject. "Thank you for always thinking about me and now thinking about this little monster causing me to throw up every five minutes."

"When's the last time you threw up?"

"I'd say about 4 minutes ago." I gripped my stomach and pretending to begin to throw up and the two of us laughed. "I actually have something I want to talk to you about."

"That never sounds good... is something wrong ?" He dropped his hand in my lap again and I rested my hand in his squeezing it tightly.

Dash was my right hand , my best friend and my boyfriend. If I couldn't trust him who could i trust ? And I know people switch up on their significant others and cross them but I couldn't see Dash doing that to me.

I explained everything to him that Abigail had told me and I was planning on sort of just handling myself but it was nice to not have it all on my shoulders.

If I told KJ , I know how that'll end and telling Dash... I know he doesn't react the way KJ does unless it comes to me or his family.

"Is that why she wanted to talk to me earlier?" He asks quickly before continuing. "Are you going to tell KJ?"

"I'm going to handle it in due time baby... I just wanted to tell you because I needed it off my shoulders you know ?"

He nodded as he turned the car into a parking lot and stopped in a spot in the far corner of the lot.

"I can understand that." He leans over and pecks my cheek. "It'll all be good but I did ask you to keep your stress down."

"My stress is down, trust me."

I could see on the expression in his face he was going to say something to debate me but shook it off. He closed the space between us and kisssd my lips.

The kiss was soft and passionate until I gripped the nape of his neck to pull him in and I could feel his hand slither up my chest and grip my throat tightly.

"Shit..." He dropped his hand that was gripping my throat, I'm honestly upset he did ... I was beginning to get a bit excited.

"What's wrong?" I ask with a confused look. "You've been denying me dick... and I don't like that."

Dash chuckles and taps his thumb on the wheel before speaking. "I ain't denying anything... you just a brat who can't handle rejection."

"And ? There is no reason for you to tell me no."

"I'm not telling you no but I'm not going to fuck my baby mama in a parking lot." He continued speaking. "I just pulled back because I grabbed ya throat too hard."

"One... you've fucked me in way worse places , what's the difference now, secondly... baby there is no such thing as too hard."

Dash bites down on his lip and shakes his head. "You know what happens when you talk like that... but the difference now is someone's watching."

"Huh?"

He points down at my stomach and I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

"You're getting too soft for me."

I don't want to brag but it took no more then a few nudges to get what I wanted even though he was so against it before. The two of us grabbed food and went back to the crib since my mom had wanted me to accompany her to a meeting she had late in the day.

"This is a really really nice car." Mom said as she shuffled a bit in the passenger seat. "Is this the safest car for a new born baby?"

"Yeah... I'm probably going to be fast and furious'ing it throughout the streets with my baby in the backseat... you think a minivan would be better ?" I gave her a quick glance before bringing my attention back to the street.

'Take a left on Willow Street.'

I nodded to myself as I followed the directions being spoken by the GPS system.

"I can't tell if the sarcasm is coming from hanging around Bri too much or if it's your dad's influence."

"I like to think it's an unhealthy mix but thank you for the concern mom... I promise to not Tokyo drift."

I could see her nod from the corner of my eye and I'm guessing that was enough to subside her concerns for now. Although I knew it was going to come up again later.

'Take a slight left on to Arnett Street and your destination is on the left.'

I followed the directions and pulled in to the parking lot of the building.

The sign outside read, 'Milton & Armstead Law Firm.'

We were here because my mom wanted to file for divorce. I was actually expecting the two of them to eventually make up and get back together.

After everything that's been going on because of Dad.... It was stupid to think mom wanted to stick around.

I turned the car off and as we sat in silence for a moment mom leaned over and rested her hand on mine.

When I looked over at her , she had her head down and her eyes were closed.

She was slightly moving her lips , in which I knew she was praying.

I turned my hand over and gave her hand a firm reassuring squeeze until she was finished.

"I'm ready!" She broke the silence a moment later. "You ready?"

I nodded and the two of us excited the car and entered the building.

Once inside the building the receptionist directed us to head up to the second floor.

"You sure you want to do this?"I asked her as we made our way upstairs.

"I'm sure... i was acting a bit sporadic before , like a girl on spring break and I needed to rail myself in and take control, this is me taking control." She flashed me a quick and warm smile as we finally made our way up to the second floor.

We sat down in the waiting area , a few people were also in there with us .

One woman looked as if she was going on literally no type of sleep, her head bobbing back and forth as she was fighting to keep her eyes open.

The others in the waiting area had their attention directed towards their phones.

One of the office doors swings open and a woman in a pants suit steps out , turns off her office lights and when she sees the woman who was nodding in and out of sleep she rolls her eyes hard.

"Mrs. Edward's please... the harassment is just getting worse." The woman finally lifts her head up all the way and hops out of her seat.

As the two of them are discussing something in hushed tones. Another office door opens up and a salt and peppered white man steps out greeting the room with a smile. "Elisha Sumner.." he smiles at my mom , holding a hand out to her for her to shake.

"I haven't seen you in so long Jonathan...you look amazing, I remember when you worked out of that shabby little office, is Julian Milton still your partner?"

Jonathan gives a hardy laugh, "of course, I couldn't get rid of that asshole even if i tried." He points towards a closed door that had a plaque that read. Julian Milton.

They begin exchanging pleasantries, Jonathan obviously flirting with my mother. It made me shutter , I always forget my mother is exactly who I get my looks from, my body and not to toot my own horn but my amazing charm and ability to usually have a man underneath my nail within minutes so seeing my mother as of recently be openly approached and flirted with is kind of odd.

She was always labeled as my dad's wife... hands off , eyes turned down and don't even dare to speak to her out of turn but now ? Everyone has basically heard the two were on the outs and my mom was up for grabs.

It kind of reminds me of how I've always been packed as the kingpin's sister. I never really had an identity of my own and now that I'm pregnant and dating Dash..... does that just switch ? Am I never going to be my own woman like my mom? Does the kingpin's sister just become Dashawn's baby mama ? I'm never going to just be Kimani.

It's something I think about a lot.

I just hope she remembered not too long ago stating she wanted to take control of her own life.

"Do you want me to come in with you?" I asked, sort of injecting myself in their never ending catch up fest.

"Huh?" Mom turned and looked down at me . "Oh!.....sweetie this is an old friend Jonathan Armstead."

"This must be the lovely Kimani Sumner... I haven't seen you since you were in diapers, you look so much like your mother."

I gave him a smile and a moment of small talk before the two of them disappeared in to his office and left me alone in the waiting room.

"Please Mrs. Edwards." My attention was brought back to the woman pleading with the female lawyer who left her office awhile ago. "He isn't leaving me alone the harassment is just worse."

"I told you already Vanessa, nothing I can do for you." The lawyer shuffled past the woman and made her way to the elevator.

The pleading woman took a few steps back and sat back in her seat.

"I don't know what else to do." The woman spoke out loud. She wasn't exactly directing it towards anyone but the others in the room ignored her.

"I'm not too sure on how legal this is..." I couldn't help but interject. I'm not surprised at the fact that my mouth was moving before I could stop myself. "There's something you could do if someone happens to I don't know intrude in your home."

As I spoke I could hear a bit of noise from behind me but I continued.

"An individual could buy a shotgun... load the first few rounds with two bean bags rounds and then a few real ones." as I spoke the woman was now looking at me with bright red eyes and even the others in the room seemed to be paying attention. "If someone was to fire the bean bags as a warning shot , it would give anyone the justification to take a more deadly means once the bean bags are shot off and the intruder continues to try and attack."

The room was silent but the woman nodded as she sniffled back a few tears and wiped her face on her shirt.

"I didn't know we had a new lawyer in the office."

The voice that broke the silence caused me to jump, it was low and caused a rumbling in my stomach.

I turned around in my chair and was greeted by a sight.

A tall, black man was standing behind me.

He wore an all black suit , a low cut equipped with a nice beard that framed his face nicely.

The more I took in his appearance , he actually looked like a darker skinned version of Dave East without the braids.

"That little hypothetical is actually a great option to anyone's problem with an obsessive ex." He looked between myself and the woman. "But with the laws in this state... why don't you come back in my office and we can discuss it more okay?" He pointed behind him.

The woman nodded frantically and stood up. "Thank you ma'am." She said as she passed In to his office.

"Oh... my legal advice wasn't any good ?" I asked.

"Not that it wasn't any good, it was actually the best route for her to take if she had no other options but New York has a few more guidelines."

I nodded , taking in what he had to say. "You must be Julian?"

"Nah, that's my dad.. I'm Keon." He stepped from around the chairs. I was able to get a better view of what he looked like.

"Are you here to see a lawyer ? I would love to help you."

"I'm not , I'm here with my mom actually."

He nods and fixes his suit a bit. "You going to be sitting out here giving legal advice while she's in the office?"

"I guess someone should since one of your little attorneys is refusing to do her job."

Keon chuckles and nods, "Mrs. Edwards is a hard ass."

As he flashed his bright smile my way , I could feel my stomach turning.

It wasn't the feeling of having to throw up but possibly butterflies ?

Keon was just a very attractive man not to mention a man in a suit has always done something to me.

"Refrain from giving out any advice for now alright?" Keon looks back at the empty desk that was in the middle of the waiting room before taking a small card out of one of the little place holders and handing it to me. "The office is looking for another front desk clerk."

"Do I look like I do front desk?"

"It could possibly be an opportunity to learn about the business... I would love to teach you everything I know." He handed me the card.

"You just offer every pretty face that comes in here a job?" I asked as I took it from him.

"Only the ones I'm interested in getting to know.... First thing you should know, most of business is all about who you know to get to the top."

"And your daddy Julian is the one who got you in that designer suit with that smug look on your face huh?" I shot back with a raised brow.

One of the woman in the waiting room snickered and Keon gave me a shocked but amused look.

"The more I talk to you the more intrigued I am."

"I bet you are and a little unprofessional with all the flirting going on in here."

Keon nods. "Ever heard of finding pleasure in your business ?"

"I'm only about my business Keon."

It seemed like the banter between the two of us could of went on and on but I had to cut it short.

"I'll keep the card on hand if I ever think about working for an office full of flirts." I smiled. "I'm sure my boyfriend would love that."

Keon didn't seem phased by the mention of a boyfriend. He just smiled at me. "Law teaches a lot, I'm sure your boyfriend wouldn't want to keep you back from expanding your horizons."

He turns his attention to the others in the waiting room stating that he would be with them shortly if nobody else in the office had seen them yet.

"Nice to meet you ..." he held his hand out to me.

"Kimani."

He nods taking in my name before disappearing in to his office.

I inspected the card he had given me. Keon Milton.

"Ooh girl... I would take that job." One of the women who was engulfed in her phone not too long ago finally spoke.

I chuckled and shoved the card in my pocket.

I'm positive the job offer was his attempt at flirting with me and getting his number in my hands without it coming off too unprofessional.

I doubt he was impressed by the little advice I was given the woman.

It would be nice though to be on track in some sort of career though.

I fumbled with the card for a quick moment before crumbling it up and throwing it into the small bin beside me.

A/N:

Don't hate me for taking so long ! I'm going to try and be more frequent ! Hope you enjoyed the chapter and if thjngs are confusing just know it all has a purpose!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5K 66 6
Keon Gilberto's father, Keith, always warned his son about how the game would use his family against him as a weakness. Keon would worry about it, bu...
528K 15.6K 34
(Book 1) Lanae Roberts moves out of her hometown after her mother was killed by gang members. She leaves without contacting most of her family membe...
24.7K 844 22
-Can be read as a stand alone- Heart: In the streets of Atlanta it is what many will die behind, and what many will get themselves killed trying to p...
113K 2.4K 30
Imani's a quiet girl who doesn't have any friends. She goes through her school days alone. Her life at home is pretty much non-existence. She comes h...