HIS GREATEST BETRAYAL

By Nyanya_Writes

To her , it was his ultimate betrayal but to him , it was her redemption. ... More

All rights reserved
PROLOGUE
BOOK ONE : HOW IT BEGAN
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
BOOK TWO: THE ENCOUNTER
Chapter 14
chapter 15
chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
BOOK THREE : SCARS OF THE PAST
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Epilogue
Author's Note
NEW BOOK ALERT!

Chapter 54

3.7K 117 4
By Nyanya_Writes

NO ONE'S POV

Claudius stared at Silvia in shock and horror. Could it be that he had heard her wrong?

"What?," he asked in a breathless voice.

Her big brown eyes looked vulnerable as they penetrated into his.

"Please don't send me away. I don't want to go home," she pleaded again.

He crossed his arms over his chest and subjected her to one of his stern looks that always managed to silence his brother's silly protests.

"You can go to a hotel. Surely you have the money to do that," he suggested in a firm voice.

Claudius assessed her tearstained face and wondered if it was one of her ploys to get him under her control. Silvia loved controlling and she was devastated if things didn't go her way.

His coworkers gossiped among themselves that Claudius was Silvia's flavour of the month and the witch was determined to get him at all costs. Claudius now felt uncomfortable at the office because Silvia and him were the current talk of the office.

Some even said that he was Silvia's current obsession. Claudius had even caught her too many times to count spying on him at the company. He knew that Silvia didn't love him but she was only obsessed with him because according to the rumours at the company, he was the first person to resist Silvia Paula's charms. He didn't know why he felt bothered by the knowledge yet it did.

He knew that he didn't love Silvia at all and that he did rather die than to be chained to someone narcissistic and selfish like her.

"I don't want to be alone. Thinking about my parents will drive me insane. That's why l came here ."

"What about your friends? ," he asked.

She cast her eyes to the floor , her long ebony eyelashes barring her golden brown eyes and laying on her creamy cheeks in the process. He was secretly fascinated by the length of her eyelashes . His eyes moved all over her face , drinking in her every feature.

She was the most beautiful woman he had seen so far. Her honey brown hair cascaded down to her waist in glossy waves. Her golden brown eyes were framed by a pair of long lashes. Her mouth was full and generous.

Tonight her face was bare of any makeup and scarlet red lips were her only accessory . The olive tint of her skin gleamed under the kitchen light. Looking at her, Claudius was overwhelmed with the memories of the night they spent together. How he had ran his fingers through those glossy strands and indeed they were as silky as he had imagined they would be.

Claudius blinked his eyes , horrified by the veer of his thoughts.

Focus Claudius!

"You may find it hard to believe but l don't have any real friends," she replied, jerking him out of his forbidden thoughts.

"l wouldn't be surprised," he replied in a sarcastic voice, inwardly cursing her for making him feel this uncomfortable.

Silvia stared at his hardened face and she felt pain shooting through her.

"Are you still angry with me?," she asked him in a low voice.

His steel grey eyes bore into hers and he was amazed and bothered to discover that her betrayal no longer hurt him like it did yesterday.

" I don't want to talk about it,"he replied in a cold voice.

"I am sorry for what l did ," she forced out the words past the lump in her throat.

He brought back his gaze on her , puzzled that she had just apologised. He couldn't believe she had just uttered the word "sorry" with that mouth. From what he had learned about her personality, Silvia never apologised to anyone. Her ego was too big for that. She also didn't admit she could ever do wrong. According to her, she was always right.

"I will show you to the guest room," Claudius answered instead.

Still stunned by Silvia's unexpected apology, he strode out of the kitchen leaving her to follow behind. He opened the door of the guest room and went in. Silvia followed behind him.

"Goodnight," he said and moved towards the door.

Silvia ran after him and hugged him from behind. Claudius stopped in his tracks, too stunned to even move. Then he heard sniffles behind him and he knew that she was crying again. He felt sympathy for her because he knew how painful it was when parents separate. His parents had separated and abandoned them afterwards. That wound had refused to heal for years.

"Can you please stay with me until l have fallen asleep," she whispered behind him and tightened her hold on his waist.

Claudius closed his eyes having a battle within him. He sympathised with her and wanted to comfort her because he knew how much painful it was to feel unwanted. To feel so insignificant that your parents couldn't stay together for the sake of you. He understood her pain.

But on the other side , he felt hesitant to stay with her because he knew that Silvia wanted more than he could offer. She had made herself clear on that. He didn't want to give her false hope. No woman deserved to be treated that way.

"Please," she whispered in a broken voice.

Her soft pleading voice struck a cord within her. He curled his hands into tight fists and expelled a low breath.

"I will stay with you until you are asleep," he told her.

He removed her hands from his waist and turned around to face her. Tears were silently streaming down her cheeks. He raised his hand and brushed away the tears with his thump. Silvia stared up into his face and he felt his breath being knocked away.

Her golden brown eyes had the power to held a man captive and refused to let go. He felt the same as he stared deep into the mystery of her eyes. He tore away his gaze from her by great courage.

"You need to rest," he said in an unusual husky voice and guided her towards the bed.

Silvia slipped into the blankets and Claudius joined her. He switched off the bedside lamp plunging the room into darkness , with only the moon casting a pale glow on the bed. For some minutes , they remained in an uncomfortable and tense silence. They were staring at the ceiling in silence.

The silence got so uncomfortable and suffocating that Claudius decided to break it.

"My parents divorced when l was twenty and they both abandoned me along with my triplet brothers ," he started.

Her face turned to him. Claudius could see the look of surprise drawn on her face. Then the shocked look was replaced by a sympathetic look. Her hand sought for his under the blankets and she held it.

"I am sorry that had to happen to you when you were so young," she told him.

A low laugh rumbled from him.

"It happened a long time ago. I have gotten over it. My younger brothers were my support through out the years. Many times when l felt like giving up on life , l just had to look at their faces and know that l had to survive, at least for them."

Claudius noticed that her face had fell at his words.

"Silvia?," he asked in a concerned voice drawing closer to her.

She avoided his eyes and glanced at the ceiling. Her lower lip began to quiver.

"I was once glad that l was the only child of my parents and that l would get all their love and attention. But it didn't happen as l wished , l remained invisible to my parents for twenty six years. My father barely spared me a glance. He was always running around building his business empire and bedding his various mistresses. My mother claims that she should have left my father a long time ago but she only remained for me . That wasn't true . She was never there for me. For years , l felt unloved and unwanted. I was bitter and resentful when l saw anyone happier than me. My mother used to spend most times in her room hurting over my father's infidelity . She stayed all those years because she was waiting for my father to love her. When she realised that it was impossible , she meet another man and decide to move on. Now they are leaving to another country. She is leaving me with that monster l call my father."

Claudius stared at her in a new light. She was a bitter and resentful creature. He felt guilty for accusing her of being inhumane. Now he knew , her feelings ran deeper than that. He wrapped his arms around her . With a sob , Silvia laid her head on his chest.

He held her in his arms for a brief moment as she cried out.

"Now l wish my parents had another child. Then l wouldn't feel so alone and shattered," she stuttered between sobs.

"You will be fine. I know that you are strong," he murmured against her hair.

Silvia released a mocking laugh , wiping away her tears in the process.

"I am not as strong as you think. It's a facade. That's what l want people to see and believe. When my parents kept denying me , l promised myself that l would never give anyone a chance to hurt me and that l would hurt them first before they hurt me."

"I am sorry for calling you all sorts of names. I didn't know you were hurting this much," Claudius apologised.

A warm smile flickered on her face.

"There is no need to apologise. What you said about me was true. I am indeed selfish and l hate to see anyone happier than me."

"That's not true. You only want to hide your pain under sarcasm..."

Silvia silenced him by placing a finger over his mouth. Their eyes locked together. The scent of lavender teased his nostrils. His eyes moved down to her lips and he gulped. Unaware , they inched closer to each other until their breaths mingled. They continued to stare at each other their breathing louder. Silvia leaned forward to kiss him but Claudius averted his face at the last moment.

"I think you should go to sleep. You need some rest," he said and pulled the blanket over her.

Silvia swallowed and forced a smile on her face.

"You are right. It's been a long day," she said and brought back her head on Claudius's chest.

They remained silent for a while, their hearts still beating frantically. Claudius was holding himself by a mere thread.

"You do know that this means nothing, right?" he asked in a husky voice.

"I know," she agreed with him.

~****~

JANE'S POV

A bright light flashed in my face. I groaned and turned my head the other way. Ferracco had opened the drapes so early in the morning. He enjoyed teasing me to no end every opportunity he got.

"Let me sleep , will you?," l murmured in my sleep.

Ferracco laughed in response and another flash went off. The side l was facing had no windows. So what was that? I immediately opened my sleepy eyes and l saw a smirking Ferracco behind a camera , clicking my pictures continuously.

"Ferracco ! ," l gasped out in disbelief.

I couldn't believe he was doing this again.

"Good morning , my sweet little beautiful wife," he said in a singsong voice.

"You still have that camera!," l noted in disbelief.

"It's special to me. Why would l lose it," he answered and continued clicking my pictures.

I had gifted him that camera on our honeymoon and he had became obsessed with it to the extent that it irritated me. I used to accuse him of loving the camera more than me.

I caught my reflection on the dressing table mirror and a gasp escaped me. I looked horrible. My eyes were puffy and my hair looked like a bed's nest. Ferracco continued taking my pictures. I glared at him before grabbing a pillow and threw it at his face.

He ducked and released a loud laugh.

"I told you before not to take my pictures while l am sleeping. I will be looking like a mess," l taunted him.

"That's a lie. You look most gorgeous in the morning with your face bare of any makeup and your hair , a wild and untameable mess," he drawled.

I smiled feeling a blush working it's way across my face. Ferracco lowered his camera and his mouth curled into a lazy smile. An excited sensation swept through me.

"I love the way you blush , Jane. So freaking innocent. Now please pose for me," he said.

"I can't," l argued.

"Please," he pouted his mouth.

I laughed at the funny look on his face.

"Promise me you won't laugh."

"I won't," he promised.

My hands cupped my cheeks and l pouted my mouth posing for the next picture. A loud laugh rumbled from him as l continued to pose myself .

"You promised you won't laugh," l scolded him.

"I think it's best to take your pictures while you are unaware. You suck at posing," he chuckled.

The smile on my face fell at his words.

"I am not a model like Silvia. I am sure she did this well when you took her pictures in the morning," l spat out in a bitter voice as million images of Ferracco clicking Silvia's provocative photos flooded my mind.

I am sure he must have used my camera to click daring photos of his various mistresses. I clenched my teeth at the thought. Ferracco noticed my sulking expression and strode towards me.

The bed dipped under his weight. His hand cupped my cheek and he tilted my face , forcing me to look into his eyes. I glared at him.

"I have not used the camera as you think. It was one of my treasures and l wouldn't have disrespected your memory like that."

I searched his eyes for the truth and l saw honesty shining in the depths of his eyes.

"I only enjoy taking your photos and no one else," he added.

"Now wipe off that sulky look on your face. It's our first date after all."

I forced a smile on my face. He leaned forward and pecked my lips.

"Don't leave the room. I will right back with the first stage of our date," he whispered , his minty breath fanning my face.

"I won't."

"That's my girl."

I watched him as he walked away. Again l had doubted him. I wondered how long we will remain in this relationship, with the scars of our past haunting us.

Ferracco had already showered and he was clad into black denim shorts and a white T-shirt which did nothing to restrain his muscle and taunt abs. His dark was was neatly brushed back and he had also shaved. The familiar smell of his cologne continued teasing me long after he left.

I sighed and went into the bathroom, my mind still plagued with my fears. I took a warm shower and changed into fresh clothes. When l returned to the room , the smell of rich roasted coffee beans hit my nostrils.

"Surprise!," he cried out pointing to a tray on the bed.

It had a cup of steaming coffee and a plate laden with all my favourite pastries , bacon and omelette. My stomach grumbled in response.

"Wow!," l exclaimed as l hurried towards the bed.

I grabbed a meat pie and sunk my teeth into the juicy crust. I closed my eyes and moaned slowly as the different flavours exploded on my tongue.

"You like it?," Ferracco asked me.

I opened my eyes and met his dark gaze. I nodded my head ,confused by the look on his face.

"I woke up early to make you breakfast. I hope you like it."

"You haven't lost your gourmet touch. It's delicious," l told him.

My tongue swept over my lower lip to remove some of the bread crumbs.

"Don't!"

At his voice, l looked up. I arched an eyebrow at him. He swallowed and his Adam's apple bobbed up and down in the process.

"Don't do that. I have reserved a table at the restaurant in the morning. I don't want to remain in the room all day."

"You are unbelievable, Ferracco!," l gasped out as the meaning of his words sink in.

"Well , you can't blame me. You look like some goddess sitting there, freshly showered and the sun making a halo about you. It's hard to resist."

I threw a pillow at him laughing.

"I didn't know you were now a poetic," l teased him.

"I think you have turned me into some lovesick puppy instead. I can't seem to concentrate on anything else other than you."

A blush went across my cheeks. I almost choked on my food when he suddenly kneeled on the floor and offered me a red rose.

"Ferracco!," l gasped out , tears of joy pricking the back of my eyes.

I took the rose from him smiling. He smiled back and held my other hand. He dropped a kiss on it , still staring at me from under his eyelashes. Excitement charged through me.

"I know that l am the worst partner any woman could have. I am broken and untrustworthy . l am not the ideal husband nor fatherhood material. I am not perfect. I am full of flaws and sins. But l promise from now onwards that l will live each day striving to be a better man for you and our daughter. I promise to try and make each day , a happy memory for you."

"Oh Ferracco!"

With a broken sob , l threw my hands around his neck and hugged him closer.

"I love you," l told him.

~****~

NO ONE'S POV

Silvia stared at Claudius's sleeping face with a feeling of longing. A mop of his curly brown hair laid on his forehead. His face looked peaceful as he slept. His chest rose and fell with his steady breathing. She stared at his face for a long time with a shattered heart.

Why couldn't she have him?

Was she that heartless and unlovable as people said?

Her hands itched to touch his face. Her heart yearned for his love. She wished that he would someday look at her with the love and adoration he had in his eyes every time he talked of Jane.

Claudius stirred in his sleep . He turned to her and wrapped his arms tightly around her. Silvia stiffened at his touch. She slowly tried to remove his steel hold but it only worsened. A smile flickered on her face. His hand lifted unconsciously and laid on her bosom. A gasp almost escaped Silvia.

Claudius wondered what was so soft and plump that he was holding. His hand squeezed again and he heard a soft moan beside him. His sleepy eyelids immediately fluttered open with his heart beat racing.

He saw himself hugging Silvia so tightly and one of his hand laying comfortably on top of his bosom. His eyes widened in horror and he leapt out of the bed cursing.

"Shit!"

Silvia sat up straight feeling her heart being shattered. Claudius saw her gloomy face and he quickly apologised.

"I am sorry."

Silvia got up from the bed and began to make the bed in a moody silence.

"Silvia!," he called her , sensing her frustration with him.

"Just leave it," she told him in a stern voice.

"I was just surprised to see myself besides you so early in the morning. For a moment , last night had slipped my mind. I am so used to sleeping alone that l was surprised. I apologise for holding you in such an inappropriate manner," he told her.

A strand of hair fell in Silvia's eye. She blew it away in frustration.

"Don't you think we have already crossed the line of decency between us. In fact you were horrified and disgusted to realise that you had fallen asleep besides me and didn't return to your room. The fact that you spent yet another night besides me didn't sit well with you," she spat out.

His face slowly turned into ice. A muscle throbbed in his jaw. He couldn't believe the witch in her was back with the new sunrise. Last night , she had seemed so different , so humane and vulnerable. He found himself wondering if Silvia Paula's last night version was true or one of her facades.

"I don't like people putting words into my mouth," he told her in a cold voice.

"I am only voicing out your thoughts," she replied with a snort.

She grabbed her handbag from the night stand and faced him .

"Thank you for allowing me to stay here. I am sorry for imposing on you like that. I promise that l won't put you in such an awkward and unlikeable situation."

Claudius felt anger coursing through his veins at the sarcastic tone in her voice. He thrust his hands deep in his sweat pant pockets and gave her a level look.

"That would be great. I think it will be best to stay away from each other from now onwards. I will be resigning next work."

His words of resignation felt like a dagger being driven inside her chest. She felt tears stinging her eyes but she blinked them back. Silvia Paula never show people her weak side. She had done it once last night but never again. Last night she had been high on pain and she acted irrational by running to Claudius's apartment. She was glad to woke up besides him that for a moment , her mind had fooled her into thinking that things could finally work out between them.

But who was she kidding! Her fantasy had shattered when Claudius woke up and saw her in his arms. He had glanced at her horrified.

Silvia couldn't believe Claudius wanted to leave the firm. It marked the official end. She would never see him again. He would move to another firm and forgot he ever came across her. The thought of becoming one of his mere encounters pained her.

She lifted up her head and glared at him in the eye. She will forget him too.

"We already have other top shot lawyers. So you won't be a loss to the firm. Best of luck," she told him in an icy voice and walked out of the room.

Claudius stared at her retreating back with a feeling of helplessness. His cellphone rang in his pockets. He answered it without looking at the caller ID. Lola's voice came through.

"Claudius! remember you have a date at ten o'clock."

He cursed and rushed into the bathroom to get ready . He couldn't stand up Lola's friend. It would seem rude. Maybe he needed to meet someone new and wipe out all forbidden memories of a brown haired goddess.

A/N:

Things are about to get hectic between Silvia and Claudius. Stay tuned!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.3K 922 35
(LOWERCASE INTENDED!) [18+] • his butterfly / may. 2022 - sep. 2022 ✅ "please don't hurt me again." i cried out as he stared at me with a hint of sad...
2.7K 306 9
-I am scared. I am terrified of seeing another back turned towards me- I saw it. It was my aunt who paid the price of my uncle having an iron fist...
3.7K 365 56
'MARRIAGE' is the holy grail for two people who call themselves soulmates or lovers. Fighting the world, and overcoming all the obstacles, they tie...
391K 12.1K 50
Mattia My Angel flew away. I broke her so she risked death to escape The years are long without her and my little sweet pea One phone call changes...