Gravity || Anthony Bridgerton

By otpreader

,, Elizabeth Newton, no relation to Isaac. Pleasure to meet you. ,, in which a young lady of society navigate... More

Gravity
Playlist
Prologue
One - A Warm Welcome
Two - Debut
Three - Danbury Ball
Four - A Gentleman Calls
Five - Poetry
Six - Dinner
Seven - A Dance
Eight - A Stroll
Nine - More Suitors
Ten - Boxing
Eleven - An Eventful Picnic
Twelve - A Solution
Thirteen - Another Ball
Fourteen - A Prince
Fifteen - Love
Sixteen - Unexpected
Eighteen - Swoon
Nineteen - A Proposal
Twenty - The Garden
Twenty One - Consequences
Twenty Two - The Letter
Twenty Three - The Duel

Seventeen - Cold Milk

14.9K 480 125
By otpreader

That night I had trouble sleeping.

I began to stir as I heard loud, muffled voices from downstairs and the slam of a door.

Unable to drift to sleep, after a while once I was convinced everyone was asleep, I made my way down the extravagant staircase and tiptoed to the pantry. I could hear the sound of my bare feet as they padded along the floor, sending a shiver up my legs as they made contact with the cold wooden surface.

As I rounded the corner toward the kitchen I stilled in surprise, seeing that the room was already lit up. Approaching the door to see who was in there, I made sure to remain as quiet as possible, not wishing to disturb whomever was inside.

My plan was going smoothly until I foolishly stepped on a creaky floorboard. The sound echoed throughout my surroundings, exposing me. Turning on my heel to escape back to my bedroom, I saw a tall shadow cast over me, suddenly engulfing me in darkness. I stood frozen.

I had been caught.

Admitting defeat I turned around to face the kitchen once again and saw none other than Anthony stood in the doorway stunned.

'I beg your pardon, I was having trouble sleeping and thought-' I blurted uncontrollably, unsure how else to approach the subject at hand.

'It's quite alright,' His voice was quiet and sad. 'I had the same trouble,' he laughed lightly but it held no humour, only sorrow.

With a shy smile I motioned behind me, 'I should head back upstairs, sorry for disturbing you.' But before I could turn around he interrupted.

'Nonsense, you must join me. Perhaps you can explain to me how to get this stove to work.' He laughed, inviting me into the kitchen.

I obliged and quietly followed after him as he made his way inside.

'If you don't mind me asking, what is it that you are trying to make?' I eyed the cold milk on the countertop before he turned to look at me. Now in the warm light of the kitchen I felt self conscious in my nightgown.

He took a moment to answer as he looked me up and down, his cheeks reddening. 'I was trying to warm up some milk. I had hoped it would help me sleep,' he sighed defeatedly as he gestured toward the stove. 'I know it is not likely, but do you by any chance know how to get something like this to work?' He chuckled.

'I am afraid not,' I giggled as he stared at the large device in bewilderment.

'Cold milk it is then,' he concluded, reaching for the bottle of cold milk. 'Would you like some?' He offered, holding the bottle toward me.

'I will get us some glasses,' I said shuffling toward the cupboards in search of some we could use.

Having searched the final cupboard, having not found any glasses I turned to Anthony in defeat.

'To informalities,' Anthony held the bottle up in cheers before taking a swig and handing it to me. 'It will be our little secret,' he promised in a hushed tone, taking a seat on one of the stools that stood in the middle of the kitchen beside a countertop.

I sat beside him on the other stool and looked at him for reassurance before taking a sip from the chilled bottle.

Lowering the bottle from my lips, Anthony grinned widely.

'What is it?' I asked and I could feel my cheeks heat up in embarrassment.

Without a word, Anthony lightly stroked the pad of his thumb across my upper lip and I froze, completely caught off guard.

His thumb lingered for a moment before he pulled his hand away. My mind was scrambled and I knew my cheeks were a deep crimson.

Looking at Anthony with wide eyes, my voice had caught in my throat and I couldn't speak.

My heart quickened as Anthony locked eyes with me, a faint smile on his lips.

'You are enchanting.' He confessed in a whisper that was just loud enough for me to hear, his eyes still staring deeply into mine.

Inching closer to me, he tucked a stray hair behind my ear before gently cupping my face in his hand.

Every fibre of my being was screaming, both in excitement and in defiance. I knew that our closeness was wrong and improper but I couldn't ignore the way my heart raced whenever he was next to me, the way I craved his embrace. Nor could I ignore the way my lips craved his. I was torn.

Just as I became completely overwhelmed, Daphne strolled into the kitchen and Anthony tore away from me before she could notice. I immediately missed his closeness and the warmth of his delicate hold.

Finally seeing the pair of us, Daphne sighed, 'A restless night for us all it seems,' she paused. 'I know I should be relieved that Lord Berbrooke is gone, trust me I am, it is just that I still feel uneasy about the whole thing.'

'I am beyond sorry sister, for everything,' Anthony admitted whilst looking down at his feet.

'You weren't to know of his true character brother, for that I cannot hold any resentment toward you.'

With a small, thankful smile drawn on his face, Anthony took another gulp from the bottle in his hands.

'Regardless of my understanding in the Lord Berbrooke situation, drinking cold milk straight from the bottle is unforgivable,' she laughed in mock disgust.

Anthony and I both joined in her laughter.

It was at that moment I no longer felt like a burden on their family. I felt as though I belonged.

Cutting through the laughter, Daphne asked, 'What keeps the pair of you awake anyway?'

'I wish I knew, but I suspect it is this heat,' I laughed again. Following Daphnes eyes as we both waited for Anthony's answer.

'It is no use denying it,' he paused, 'I had a dispute with our brother,' he looked up at his sister.

'I thought I heard raised voices,' Daphne pondered. 'What was the subject of this dispute may I ask?'

'Nothing to cause concern, just a brotherly disagreement.'

At that moment I saw Anthony sneak a glance in my direction before quickly turning again. I didn't have siblings of my own, but I knew despite being family they probably didn't see eye to eye on everything.

-

Somerset House, an estate full of elegance and artistic beauty. To step foot inside such an establishment was an honour as only a selection of higher society were invited to visit its grand opening of a new wing. Inside I was enveloped immediately in divine art and impressive paintings. It was a feast for the eyes, and I made sure to devour every piece of art that hung in the room.

Gregory and Hyacinth wasted little time in running off to explore the remainder of the new wing, whilst Anthony, Benedict, Colin, Mrs Bridgerton, Daphne and I stood in awe of our surroundings, Benedict more so. He held an advanced appreciation for art and I envied his knowledge of the different painters and the techniques they used.

My moment of awe was soon struck however, when I heard Mrs Bridgerton as she pulled on Anthony's arm, 'Miss Anna Vaughn. Speaks several languages, I hear.' She took a moment to look around before speaking again.

As his mother continued, Anthony turned to face me, sending me a small smile as he did so. I felt myself blush as I realised Anthony was no longer listening to his mother and was rather paying all his attention toward me.

'Miss Mary Egglesfield. She's meant to be quite the reader.' I heard Mrs Bridgerton as she pointed to a beautiful girl, similar age to me, that was stood across the room.

Following my line of sight, Anthony turned to his mother again, 'Were I looking for a list of debutantes and their dubious accomplishments, I could have stayed home and read Lady Whistledown. Besides mother, I doubt any lady in this room is a more advanced reader than Elizabeth, so if you are so set on listing merits, begin with the lady stood by my side.'

Without another word, Anthony broke free from his mothers clutch and gently placed his hand on my arm, leading me away into the next room of the wing. I instinctively held onto his arm as we roamed the gallery.

As we strolled into the third room, Prince Friedrich approached us.

'Miss Newton. Viscount Bridgerton.'

'Your Highness,' I bowed.

'I was hoping to see you today,' he informed, addressing me.

'Were you?' Anthony interjected, annoyed, his tone was clipped.

'Yes.' The Prince paid little attention to Anthony, simply ignoring him as he looked at me. 'It seems the art is not the only beautiful thing on display at present.'

I could feel Anthony tense next to me. Smiling shyly I asked, 'Are you enjoying your time here in London?' I desperately wished to change the subject.

'It's always been one of my favourite cities.'

'How lovely to hear from someone who has travelled so widely,' I told honestly.

'Have you travelled much? I think you would love the music of Vienna.'

'I'm sure I would.' Growing increasingly aware of Anthony's rigid and defensive stance, I smiled at the Prince, inhaling sharply before continuing, 'You should make your rounds, Your Highness. I believe there is a gaggle of young ladies waiting for your favour. Delightful to see you.' I quickly bowed before Anthony led me away to the next room.

'If I may be so bold to say that someone was a little agitated by the Prince's presence,' I teased Anthony as we entered the room.

'You'll learn soon enough, Elizabeth...' with a self assured smirk and a fire in his eyes, he looked at me before whispering in my ear, his breathe fanning my neck, making me flustered, 'I don't share.'

(A/N): Hey everyone! Thank you all so much for your patience, I had exams for a month and had to focus on those, but I'm now finished and have a lot more time to write and I've been working on the next couple chapters.
I hope you enjoyed this chapter, I'm making a conscious effort to make them longer as well as there is a lot of drama to come, very soon!
Once again, thank you so much for reading, you are all so amazing and I hope you love Elizabeth and Anthony as much as I do. <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.1K 245 12
𝓕𝓸𝓻𝓰𝓸𝓽𝓽𝓮𝓷 𝓓𝓮𝓼𝓲𝓻𝓮𝓼 𓆩♡𓆪 Best friends since their very first memories, Anthony and Ayera had never imagined a life lacking another. Bu...
164K 4K 19
𝓔𝓿𝓮𝓻𝔂 𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓷𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓘 𝔀𝓪𝓴𝓮 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓘 𝓪𝓶 𝓮𝔁𝓬𝓲𝓽𝓮𝓭 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓭𝓪𝔂 𝓪𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓭 𝓽𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓘 𝓰𝓮𝓽 𝓽𝓸 𝓼𝓹𝓮𝓷𝓭 𝔀𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓱𝓲�...
909K 20.4K 46
∾✧。MORE ۵∾ ❛AND ALL THE THINGS THAT WE DREAM ABOUT THEY DON'T MEAN WHAT THEY DID BEFORE I JUST WANNA GET BACK TO US CAUSE WE USED...
70.3K 691 8
A Bridgerton Fanfic! Simon x Daphne! Complete! All it takes is five minutes alone with one another, and then Daphne's cheeks are so red, she cannot d...