Eight - A Stroll

'You cannot be serious!' I exclaimed.

'Deadly,' Daphne despaired.

It was the morning after the event at Vauxhall and Daphne was telling me where she had disappeared to during the evening. I had just been informed that Anthony made arrangements for her to marry Lord Berbrooke.

'Daphne, I am so sorry...' I did not know what to say, or what could be said to make the situation better. I was dumbfounded.

'I just hope the attention of the Duke steers Nigel in the opposite direction, for he cannot compete with a Duke.'

'Rightly so, it would be improper to entertain a Lord when a Duke shows interest,' I thought aloud. 'I am just shocked your brother would make such a match.' I could not begin to comprehend what Anthony must have been thinking to make such an awful plan.

'Lord Berbrooke comes from a long and strong lineage, and is held in high regard at the club, however, I think Anthony neglected to take into account the fact that I cannot tolerate the gentleman,' Daphne reasoned. 'And to make matters worse, the man is not as honourable as he portrays. His disgusting behaviour last night solidified my opinion of him, and I will not marry such a beast.' She added, but I was confused.

'What did Lord Berbrooke do last night?' I asked wide eyed.

'You must not tell anyone...' she paused, contemplating whether to tell me, 'Lord Berbrooke made a dishonourable advance toward me yesterday evening in the garden.'

My face paled. 'I beg you to elaborate on what his dishonourable advance was, for if it is, what I think it is, that is a serious offence indeed.'

'A serious offence, it was,' she shuddered, reliving the memory.

'Daphne I am so sorry, whatever did you do?' My mind was racing with the possibilities.

'I punched him.' She stated blankly.

I furrowed my eyebrows in disbelief. 'You punched Lord Berbrooke?' I asked, quietly giggling, trying to imagine the scenario.

'Yes.' She too began laughing quietly at the story. 'If I hadn't, the Duke would have.'

My giggles cut short. 'The Duke was there?' I was beyond shocked.

'He had gone for a stroll to get away from prying mothers and witnessed the entire scene.'

'And this all happened before you danced together?'

'Yes. You could say it was quite the eventful evening.'

'Does your brother know? Surely if he knew he would call off the arrangement,' I asked quizzically.

'No, and he mustn't. You mustn't tell him. My virtue is all I have,' she pleaded, stepping closer to me with a begging look in her eyes.

'I promise to stay silent, but I will not if it means you have to marry such a disgusting gentleman, Lord or not, it is disgraceful what he did, and he deserves his just punishment.' Marrying was a significant stage in a ladies life and would set the path for our future, and I refused to let Lord Berbrooke be Daphne's future.

-

'Thank you for joining me on my stroll, it is most kind of you, especially since I know you would rather spend your time planning for your travels,' I thanked Colin. He had been kind enough to join me on my daily walk as Daphne was otherwise occupied, promenading with the Duke. We walked side by side and occasionally our hands brushed against one another.

The weather was perfect as the sun beamed over the gardens, coating the air like a warm blanket. It was clear many others appreciated the good weather as many were out walking, whilst others had set up picnics, soaking in the warmth of the sun, sitting in groups.

'Nonsense, I rather enjoy your company I'll have you know,' Colin smiled down at me with a cheerful look across his face. 'That and it is good I get some well needed fresh air on such a beautiful day.'

'I just had that exact thought, it really is a lovely day.' I admired the surrounding looking around in awe.

'I saw you dancing with Lord Harrington last night, did you like him much?' Colin asked intrigued.

'He was a perfectly agreeable gentleman,' I informed. 'Other than our one dance I did not get to speak to him at length, so I must wait for the next time I see him in order to get a gauge on his personality.' I decided to neglect the topic of Anthony, hoping Colin had not seen our dance.

'That is good news. Lord Harrington is a wonderful gentleman, I think you would quite like him,' He smirked. 'Although I cannot help but ask how your dance with my brother was. I honestly could not recall the last time I had seen him dance until yesterday. It was rather astonishing that he remembered how to even dance,' he laughed. 'And for him to ruin that streak by dancing with you, was quite the statement.'

'What do you mean statement? It was simply a dance,' my heart was pounding. I could feel it leaping out of my chest.

'What I am saying, is that you seem to have made quite the impression on my brother,' he said flatly.

'Well he has not said anything to me since our dance, so I would have to disagree with you.' I tried to sound lighthearted but deep down I was devastated. Anthony had not spoken to me since our dance... since he told me he could not bare to see me with another gentleman... since I realised I had feelings for him. I had to change the subject, 'Enough about me, how was your dance with Penelope? She seemed quite taken with you.' I questioned.

'She is a lovely girl with an intelligent mind, not forgetting a great friend to Eloise. I could not stand to see those other girls ridicule her. They had no right.' Colin seemed to get quite heated by the subject.

'She holds you in high regard too,' I told him as we crossed the bridge over the river.

'You have not even spoken to her, how could you possible know that?' He chuckled.

'I do not have too. I can see it in her eyes when she looks at you.' I said softly.

'Don't be ridiculous Elizabeth. She does not look at me in any such way,' he scolded.

'I am frequently right about these things Colin,' I told proudly. I was excellent at deciphering other peoples feelings. Well except for my own, and other's feelings for me... it was a selective talent.

'I doubt that.' He disagreed quietly whilst looking at me with a disheartened expression and a longing look in his eyes. I could not determine the hidden meaning behind his words and instead asked him about his travels to distract from the tension.

'I plan to travel next year, perhaps I could bring you back a souvenir when I return,' he grinned.

'I would love that.' I looked up at him, smiling at the thought.

(A/N): Thank you all so much for reading and supporting this story, you are all amazing!