Seven - A Dance

The previous evenings events consumed my mind. I could not form a clear thought as Anthony's name swirled around my head.

Was I truly oblivious as Lady Bridgerton had described? A foolish girl clueless about the real world?

Before I could spiral there was a knock at the door.

'You may come in,' I announced.

As I had suspected, it was Lily.

'Hello Miss, I have your gown ready for the ball this evening. I hear Vauxhall is going to look magical,' Lily beamed. I debated whether or not to ask for Lily's advice.

'Lily, can I ask you something?' My voice was but a mere whisper, to insure only Lily could hear me.

'Of course.'

'I seem to be presented with quite the pickle,' I paused, trying to figure out where to begin as Lily narrowed her eyes. 'I thought this whole marriage season would be a breeze, I thought I would have an offer in no time and get married. But you see, I get rather flustered around these new gentlemen. I never know what to say, or do- well I know what to say and do, but when they approach me it's as though all my training has evaporated into thin air.' I rambled, looking in the mirror at her as she fastened my corset.

'You do not seem troubled when you speak with the Bridgerton brothers, you always appear at ease when you are around them... Especially Anthony, I have noticed the way you relax when he is around.' She sounded puzzled, and I did not blame her. I was puzzled too.

'But it is different with them,' I told. I did not know how it was different, it just was. I felt comfortable around them. I was able to express my thoughts and have general conversation with them. The other gentlemen I found intimidating, not only due to the significant age differences, but their countenance's as well. They always seemed so stern, it was not natural.

'It is only because you know them already, give these new gentlemen a chance.'

I thought about what she had said. Perhaps she was right. Perhaps I needed to socialise more.

-

Aboard the dimly lit boat, I sat beside Colin- he had insisted.

'When we arrive, I shall whisk you away to the dance floor before anyone can object,' he whispered in my ear.

I smiled at him excitedly. This would be my first dance of the season since Anthony had not allowed Daphne or I to dance with any gentlemen at the previous ball.

As we arrived, I saw bright torches aligning the pathway toward the centre floor, people littered around the garden sipping on their expensive beverages. The setting sun made the venue look just as Lily had told me. It truly was 'magical'.

Offering me his arm once we had stepped off the boat, Colin led me away to where everyone was dancing. I quickly glanced over my shoulder, immediately regretting it as I saw Anthony with a somber look on his face.

Standing beside the warm fire light, Colin and I waited for the next dance to commence. Surely enough, less than a moment later, pairs of girls and their suitors piled off of the elevated floor.