Nineteen - A Proposal

The sound of a soft piano melody broke through the noise of chattering guests as I descended the stairs. Daphne wanted to make an impactful entrance in hopes of catching the Prince's attention; I opted for the more quiet approach and entered on my own, a few wondering pairs of eyes caught my entrance, the Prince himself even spared me a long glance as he danced with Cressida. But it was all in vain, for the person I wanted looking at me, who's eyes I had become entirely undone by, was no where to be seen. My heart ached.

The Queen offered me a shy smile, clearly apprehensive for Daphne's appearance - she was the Queen's favoured debutante after all. After a few moments the doors opened again, most eyes searched for the sound, to find Daphne stood at the balcony beyond the door, looking absolutely iridescent. Her beautiful caramel hair made mine look flat, her shimmering white dress made the rest of us look bland. She was breathtaking and at that moment it was clear to us all why she had the Queens favour. I watched as the Prince turned and said something inaudible to Cressida before he walked straight to the foot of the stairs and waiting for Daphne. Cressida and her mother both shared the same sour expression, as they glared enviously at Daphne.

Daphne captured everyones attention, we practically held our breaths as she made each step, until finally she linked arms with the Prince and the pair approached the centre of the hall. I spotted the Duke and his previously hard expression had wavered. He looked riddled with regret.

-

As the evening went on, the ball became more lively and almost every debutante danced with a suitor, as most had finally given up on trying to secure Daphne as their bride now that she had the attentions of a prince.

Throughout the evening, I had danced with Benedict a handful of times, Colin said he was in no fit state for dancing - he looked positively pale the entire afternoon and had been pacing the library when I found him before we were due to leave.

After a while, I ventured to the garden on my own, for the cool breeze it offered. The hall was beginning to make me feel suffocated. I welcomed the cold sting as I breathed in through my nose. The inviting breeze on my bare arms, making the little hairs stand up. I took a moment to look at them, so thin and short, yet so reactive, lit up by the light streaming out the windows surrounding the estate. It occurred to me then that a similar involuntary reaction took place when mine and Anthony's hands touched for a brief moment, I recalled the memory - my cheeks flared, and a feeling of electricity, like it was coursing through me and making my hairs stand on end. Similar to this, but it was caused by what I assumed was the cold air, not the enthralling man I had become so attached to.

Snatching me from my thoughts, I heard the door a few feet away creak open, revealing Colin. Perhaps the cold air will do him some good if he has indeed fallen ill. The fresh air, I found always did wonders.

His face paled more than I thought possible and he looked sheepish as he held my gaze.

'Are you well? You don't seem yourself and you are awfully pale,' I tell him, concern shadowing my previously happy thoughts.

'It depends, I suppose.' His voice is small and shy as he drew closer to me.

'And what might it depend on? For if you have fallen ill, I believe you must depend on your bed and some rest.'

'This ache I fear has no such remedy.' His expression is piercing and his enigmatic words confused me.

'I am of the firm belief that nothing cannot be mended with rest and fresh air,' I smiled playfully.