Rewritten || Scorpius x Hermi...

By kim_camaro

Or "How Scorpius Hyperion Malfoy Used a Time Turner and Royally Forked Up" All Scorpius wanted was to warn h... More

synopsis
cast
1 | Scorpius' Awesome Plan
2 | Where's Draco?
3 | Branded
4 | Scorpion King
6 | Anomaly
7 | Caught
8 | The Not-So-Whole-Truth
9 | The Invite
10 | Operation: Mouldy Voldy Must Die
11 | Chamber of Secrets
12 | Return of Happiness
13 | Malfoy the Potions Prodigy
14 | I Miss You, Mum
15 | Slug Club Christmas Party
16 | Dear Professor Dumbledore
17 | Memories
18 | Magic is Weird
19 | Of Lockets and Cups
20 | Stupid Thoughts, Stupid Feelings
21 | A Little Bit of Luck
22 | Gringotts
23 | Whatever the Hell This Is

5 | Stuck Here

539 32 0
By kim_camaro

Scorpius mentally cursed himself for bounding towards the Headmaster's Office without any idea what his password was. "Catnap," he tried, but the gargoyle wouldn't budge. He tried more words like 'Power' or 'Phoenix' and even Dumbledore's ridiculously long name, but not one proved to be the right password.

He was half-tempted to turn around and run back to the Great Hall to seek for Pansy and ask for the password. The Great Feast just ended thirty minutes ago and students were already trickling back to their dormitories. He was thankful Pansy was his Prefect counterpart; Scorpius just had to give her a handsome smirk to beg her to cover for him while he went to Dumbledore. It still highly amused him how Pansy practically flushed and swooned with his actions.

"Dumbledore is Awesome," he lamely muttered, but the gargoyle still hadn't sprung to life.

He mentally cursed himself once more for forgetting to attend the Prefects meeting a while ago. The Heads usually provided the password for the Headmaster's Office should they need to report an emergency to Dumbledore.

Then, Scorpius remembered the patrol schedule Hermione Granger had shoved in his hands. He immediately pulled out the crumpled parchment from his pockets and thanked the stars above the password was scribbled on it. "Acid... Pops?" he asked. Instantly, the gargoyle sprang to life and jumped down, revealing the spiralling staircase leading to the Headmaster's Office.

Scorpius snorted at the silly password before jumping onto the staircase. Once he reached the top, he slowly sauntered closer to the imposing wooden door and took a deep breath. He wanted to say a lot of things to Dumbledore and the Slytherin had no idea where to start.

'Eh, I'll just wing it,' he thought as he straightened his back and smoothed his robes. From the books he had read, Dumbledore was kind and noble. Scorpius was sure he wouldn't be shunned away immediately.

Scorpius grasped the door handle and knocked thrice. The wooden door creaked open and he carefully peered inside. To his relief, Dumbledore was sitting behind his desk, only he wasn't alone. As Scorpius stupidly stumbled inside and gaped, the hardened gaze of Severus Snape stared right back at him.

"Mister Malfoy," Snape snarled. "What brings you here?"

He was rendered mute, honestly humbled in the presence of the Master Potioneer. His father always told him Snape wasn't a really pleasant person, but it was because he had been through a lot. After his death, Auror Harry Potter made it a point to tell the whole Wizarding World how Snape had been brave, working as a spy for the Order of the Phoenix and being an instrument to Voldemort's defeat. Only a few knew of the real story behind his change of alliances, but Scorpius knew from Draco that Severus Snape loved Lily Potter very, very much and made it his life's purpose to protect Harry Potter.

"Speak, boy," his Head of House snapped and the noble image Scorpius painted of him instantly shattered. His father wasn't kidding when he said Snape didn't like people.

"P-pardon my intrusion," Scorpius started, "but may I please speak with you, Professor Dumbledore?" He shot a nervous glance at Snape and swallowed. "Alone."

Snape gave him a glare while Dumbledore looked highly amused. Scorpius felt a little dizzy to be in the presence of the two Headmasters that shared his best friend's name.

"We will continue our discussion for another day, Severus," the Headmaster finally said.

"But Headmaster—"

"Have a good night, Severus."

The Potions Master bristled and gave another accusatory glare towards Scorpius. The Slytherin paled and looked away. He held his breath as Snape brushed past him and walked out of the office.

Once they were alone, Scorpius did not know where to start. He debated whether he should start telling Dumbledore about Voldemort's plans first or maybe about his mission to kill him or about his time travelling accident. Words were threatening to spill out from him and he was afraid he wouldn't make any complete sense.

It didn't help that Dumbledore was looking straight at him, his eyes twinkling and amused. He shifted slightly on his desk and that was when Scorpius saw his blackened hand. 'So the ring had been destroyed,' he mused. Dumbledore seemed to sense where Scorpius' eyes were directed and instantly hid it under his sleeve.

"I know how that happened," Scorpius blurted out, jutting his chin at his concealed blackened hand.

The Headmaster looked a little surprised with his words and calmly smiled. "Interesting words, Mister Malfoy," he said. He then gestured at the seat opposite him with his unmarred hand and waited until Scorpius was settled down. He then grabbed a bowl of sweets – acid pops – and offered it to Scorpius. "Would you care for some acid pops? I'm terribly fond of these sweets."

Scorpius politely shook his head. "I... Professor Dumbledore... I have something to tell you," he stuttered out.

Dumbledore placed the bowl back in its previous place and gently smiled. "I assume you do," he said. "What plagues your mind, Scorpius?"

"I... I'm not from here," he said, finally deciding to start on the weirdest part of his story. When Dumbledore merely quirked an interested eyebrow with his words, he continued, "You see, it all started when I tried to use a Time-Turner."

The old man tutted. "Tampering with time is a foolish thing to do, young man," he admonished.

Scorpius grinned, despite his tumultuous thoughts. "Your portrait told me exactly the same thing, professor."

"Portrait?"

The Slytherin fidgeted and nervously rubbed the back of his neck. "You see, sir, I'm from the future," he explained. He waited for any reply from Dumbledore but the old wizard merely calmly stared back at him. "Twenty-seven years from now, to be exact."

"That is a long way from home, Mister Malfoy," he commented, his eyes twinkling brighter if it were more possible. "I assume you did not merely use a Time-Turner to have more classes during that year?"

Scorpius solemnly shook his head. If only that were the case, then things would be better. "No, sir, no," he replied. "I... my being here wasn't exactly an accident."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I mean, I really did intend to go back into time, to this year, to save my father from his future." Scorpius ran a frustrated hand through his impeccable hair, still trying to make sense of what happened with him.

"Lucius?" Dumbledore asked, quirking an eyebrow.

"No, sir, Draco Malfoy," he corrected.

A small frown bloomed on the wizened man's face. "Draco Malfoy?" he echoed. "I'm afraid I haven't heard of that name yet. If you said you were twenty-seven years from the future, then I should have at least had the pleasure of teaching your father in this school."

"That was what I was afraid of," Scorpius said, grimacing. Now that even Professor Dumbledore confirmed that no Draco Malfoy existed in this timeline, then his suspicions and fears were finally realised. "Everything is... so complicated. There really was a Draco Malfoy during this time. He should have been in sixth year, too. But when I used the Time-Turner, or what was left of it really, I found myself replacing my father instead."

"Forgive me, Mister Malfoy, but I am getting quite confused," Dumbledore said, his frown deepening. "You sound as if something happened to your Time-Turner when you tried to get back."

Scorpius eagerly nodded his head. "While I was about to use it, I got caught and Headmis... Professor McGonagall blasted the Time-Turner away. It broke into a million pieces."

"It broke before you used it?"

"Yes, sir," the younger wizard softly replied. "The sand was scattered all over the floor before I was even able to punch the dial."

Dumbledore made a curious sound at the back of his throat and laced his fingers, not even bothering to hide his blackened hand anymore. He leant forward and thoughtfully placed his chin on top of his fingers. "That is most curious, indeed," he concurred. "Because since the Time-Turner had been broken, you shouldn't be here at all."

"I know," Scorpius grounded out, getting more flustered and frustrated. "Something... happened, and the sand was suddenly whirling around me. Professor McGonagall's and Al... err... my best friend's face started to fade and the next thing I know, I've awakened in the Malfoy Manor and unwittingly replaced my father!"

Saying it aloud sounded more ridiculous. Scorpius wouldn't be surprised if Dumbledore didn't believe him.

"What exactly happened to trigger this... event?" Dumbledore urged.

His cheeks coloured a little, remembering how he had hopelessly cried over the broken Time-Turner, horrified that he had failed and would not be able to save his father anymore. "I may have... err... shed a tear or two," he muttered under his breath. There was no point in manning up in front of Dumbledore when it was obvious the Headmaster could see through his lies. "I saw a tear fall down on the sand and then... it happened."

Something glinted in Dumbledore's eyes. "What caused your tears, Scorpius?" he gently asked.

"M-my father," Scorpius slowly said, unable to look directly into Dumbledore's eyes. "I thought of how I won't be able to save him anymore. I thought of how my poor mother would feel if my father was suddenly taken away from us. I just..." He paused and released a deep sigh. "I just wanted to save my father, to give him a happier life he deserved. The Wizarding World might be blind to his change of heart, but as his son, I can loudly vouch for him. My father may have done a lot of wrong things in his past, but he's a different man now. I don't think... I don't think an evil person can love his family very much."

His heart felt heavy once more at the thought of the world's injustice to his father. Scorpius was reminded of days when Draco would hold him tight when he got in a Quidditch accident. Scorpius remembered how his father would always make his mother smile when he would randomly give her flowers for no reason. Scorpius remembered how his father had shed tears during the anniversary of the Battle of Hogwarts, unspoken guilt and relief in his eyes.

It would have been quite easy if he just grew up and hated his father for making all of their lives miserable. But Scorpius couldn't, because he experienced his father's love. As he grew older and learned about the dark side of the Second Wizarding War, Scorpius couldn't find it in himself to fault his father, who had been one of the victims too.

"There is a sacredness in tears," Dumbledore suddenly said. Scorpius slowly lifted his shiny eyes and looked at the understanding on the Headmaster's face once more. "They are not a mark of weakness, but of power. They may be messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, but most of all, my dear boy, they are of unspeakable love."

Scorpius' brows furrowed, somehow already grasping what Dumbledore was trying to convey. "So... you mean to say my tears did this?" he slowly asked. "That my tears were the ones that triggered this... this thing and brought me here?"

"Perhaps," Dumbledore said with a serene smile. "Love and time had always been tricky things. The wisest of men could still not understand them."

"But it's still a Time-Turner," Scorpius protested. "Shouldn't my father and I exist on the same timeline? The last time I checked, a Time-Turner merely sends people back into time. Not replace them with another person."

"Ah, but your time travelling incident had been most peculiar in the first place," the Headmaster explained. "With a broken Time-Turner as your means for travel, things are bound to be different from normal. I think the magic of time recognised your desperate wish of saving your father, and instead of creating a rift by letting you coexist with your teenage father and all the terrible mysteries of time, it decided to replace you with him instead. If my deductions are correct, your father may still not even be born yet."

His brain was already going fuzzy with all the information overload. "So... if I'm in my father's place then my father might be..." Scorpius' eyes widened in disbelief.

"In your place, in essence, yes," Dumbledore said, his eyes stretching wider. "With your presence here, things had already drastically changed. Or, well, will drastically change."

"Hoooly shite, am I in an alternate dimension?" Scorpius demanded, belatedly realizing he had spoken crudely in front of the professor. His cheeks coloured, but Dumbledore thankfully did not reprimand him.

"In a way, yes," Dumbledore flippantly said, as if it was an everyday occurrence. "Everything your father had done for the past years is remembered by everybody, but instead of remembering his face, they see yours."

Scorpius felt sick at the idea of his father being best friends with Albus. Although he really didn't mind his son befriending his ex-nemesis' son, Draco still felt highly uncomfortable in Al's presence. "Merlin, this is a disaster," he bemoaned, hiding his face behind his hands.

"And yet, it may not be," Dumbledore assured. Intrigued, Scorpius peeked his eyes between his fingers and waited for Dumbledore to continue. "You must remember that your father isn't born yet. You wished to give your father a better future and time reckoned this is a better way to avoid any unnecessary confusions and changes if you were to exist on the same timeline as your teenage father. I think it is safe to say that any memories your father had in the past – well, our now – are completely wiped away from his mind."

"So, he doesn't remember being—" He widely gesticulated around, not finding the right words to say. "But... shouldn't he know that something was wrong? Shouldn't time continue moving forward?"

The Headmaster sighed and tiredly smiled. "As I've said, time is a terribly tricky thing," he echoed. "I must confess I do not know enough about the time-travelling, my dear boy, but I would like to believe that the future you've left had been frozen. It would only unfreeze and continue moving forward once you get there."

Scorpius moaned and clutched his head. "This is all so confusing," he said, feeling a headache forming. "Wait... does this mean I cannot go back?"

"Oh, you can," Dumbledore said. "Most definitely you can. But your father might be pulled back into this timeline and he might choose the same path that would lead to his future of regret."

"So basically, I'm stuck here," Scorpius murmured, eyes smarting at the thought of not seeing his beautiful family, of his best friend... his schoolmates.

"You have a choice of returning."

"No, I don't," he snapped back, a little irritated because he and Dumbledore both knew that he would be staying here if it meant sparing his father from his future full of turmoil and regrets.

Dumbledore surprisingly patted his hand for comfort. "It had been your profound love for your father that orchestrated everything," he said. "That is, frankly, the bravest thing I've ever known."

"I'm not a Gryffindor," Scorpius pointed out, cheeks turning red from Dumbledore's praise.

"Gryffindors aren't the only ones expected to be brave, Mister Malfoy," he said with a smile. "Now, I believe there is still something you wish to tell me?"

The Slytherin slightly narrowed his eyes, surprised that Dumbledore suspected that his tale hadn't ended. But then again, this was the greatest wizard ever. Scorpius shouldn't be surprised. "I actually came here to tell you about my..." He trailed off as he lifted his left sleeve and showed the menacing Dark Mark. Scorpius still felt a little sick at seeing it on his arm and instead chose to look at Dumbledore instead.

For a moment, he saw darkness and sorrow in the Headmaster's eyes. He looked as if it was his fault Scorpius had the Dark Mark, and the young wizard hastily hid it back under his sleeve. "Last summer, I've been Marked by Vol-Voldemort to punish me for my grandfather's... err... father's mistake in the Department of Mysteries."

Dumbledore continued to stay silent so Scorpius continued. "I... actually came here because I needed your help, Professor Dumbledore." He paused and resolutely met the old man's blue eyes. "My father once told me his greatest regret was not asking for help. And so, I'm trying to change that by asking you, to help me, Professor Dumbledore, sir."

"Of course, Scorpius," Dumbledore gently replied.

"He plans for me to..." He faltered and looked away. "He plans for me to kill you. I was tasked to also fix the Vanishing Cabinet in the Room of Requirement so when the time comes, Death Eaters will arrive and make sure I do my job."

To his surprise, instead of getting enraged, Dumbledore released a deep, tired sigh. Scorpius shifted his gaze back onto Dumbledore and gaped. "You knew?" he asked, surprised.

"I've known for a while now, yes," he confessed.

Disbelief coloured his features before being replaced by anger. "You knew," he grounded out, glaring darkly at the old man. "You knew that my father was tasked to kill you but you didn't... you didn't help him immediately!"

"You very well know that those who do not wish to be helped cannot be helped, Mister Malfoy," Dumbledore calmly replied.

Scorpius deflated, knowing it was the truth. His father was a stubborn man; Scorpius didn't doubt his father's arrogance and pride paved the way to his downfall.

"What do you plan to do then?" Scorpius then asked.

"There is a... plan," Dumbledore evasively replied. "When the time comes... you'll know."

Scorpius rolled his eyes. Dumbledore quirked his eyebrow at his seemingly rude behaviour, but the Slytherin was tired. "No offence, Dumbledore sir, but one of your greatest faults is that you're too secretive." The Headmaster looked highly amused, and Scorpius took that as a cue to continue. "The Golden Trio had to go through great lengths just to discover the existence of horcruxes – yes, Professor, I know about them too – and honestly, I always thought you should have told them before your... err... death." He looked away from Dumbledore's searching gaze. "The war might not have stretched far too long and wide, you know."

His tirade was met with silence and Scorpius felt warmth creeping to his neck. This issue had always been a subject of debate in school. Some believed that Dumbledore's decisions were wise and good, but Scorpius seriously thought if he'd let Harry Potter in his secrets before his untimely demise, then they wouldn't have been on the run and such. It was all just a waste of time, really.

"Thank you for your... enlightening words, Mister Malfoy," Dumbledore started, "but I believe there are things not worth divulging to others to protect them."

Scorpius sighed and sullenly nodded his head. "I know, I know," he said. "It's just..." He shyly looked back at Dumbledore but still steadfastly held his twinkling gaze. "Sometimes, withholding information may bring more harm than necessary."

He could see he had surprised Dumbledore and Scorpius didn't know what to do about that. He was reminded of how his father kept his mission from Voldemort a secret from those who could most likely help him. Now, look at where he was right now.

"Forgive me, but I would like to hear from you that we have won the war," Dumbledore said.

Scorpius' eyes widened. He wasn't expecting that. "Well," he said, gesturing to himself, "I'm here now, aren't I? I'm best friend's with Harry Potter's son and I'm practically going to Hogwarts with half of the new generation of Weasleys."

Dumbledore beamed.

"I... know we haven't really participated in the War and all, but we've learned all about them in school in the future. We've heard stories from our parents and professors and..." Scorpius suddenly felt humbled, earnestly looking at the man that used to be the symbol of Light in the Wizarding World. "Thank you, for all the things you have done, just to make the Wizarding World a safer place."

The Headmaster's eyes twinkled as he fondly patted Scorpius' hand. "Those are touching words, my dear boy, but... we are not in the future yet," Dumbledore said. Scorpius' smile wavered, but Dumbledore edged on. "We still have to win a War for that safe future you described."

Scorpius' stare became hardened with determination. "I will do whatever I can to make that future realised immediately," he vowed.

"As I've said, you are very brave, Scorpius," the Headmaster said. "But for now, I suggest you live a normal life here in the year 1996. Do whatever Voldemort says so that you will not arouse any suspicions from him. I have another... intel on the other side, but your help is most appreciated."

"My grandmother..."

"Narcissa is in good hands," he reassured. "As long as you are all under my wing, you are in good hands."

Scorpius solemnly nodded his head. "Will you tell Snape everything we've talked about?" he asked.

Dumbledore looked intrigued. "Why did you think I will tell Professor Snape?" he asked.

The younger wizard gave him a pointed look, prompting Dumbledore to chuckle. "I assume he's the 'intel' you speak of. He had been vital in this War, too, Professor," Scorpius said. "He was one of the bravest." He hesitated for a bit, but decided that Dumbledore should know about it, too. "I... know about the Unbreakable Vow he had with my grandmother to protect my father. So that when the time came he'd be the one to kill you instead."

Dumbledore didn't seem surprised with his revelation anymore. Instead, he wore a solemn look on his face. "He is very brave, yes," Dumbledore echoed. "I do plan on letting him on in this current situation. He is, after all, the only one who can aid you every time Voldemort calls for a Death Eater meeting. That is, if you will allow me."

"My father trusted him with his life," Scorpius said. "I think I'll be more comforted if he knows."

"Very well, then," he said. The Headmaster glanced at the small clock on his desk and exclaimed, "Heavens, Mister Malfoy! It's almost curfew. I think it is already time for you to go."

Scorpius jumped down from his seat. "I... thank you for your help, Professor Dumbledore," he sincerely said. "I don't think I would have figured out what to do if I didn't come to you."

Dumbledore gave him a sad smile. "I just wished your father had done the same."

Mirroring his smile, Scorpius nodded his head. "I hope he did, too." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 1K 31
Yeah please don't take this book seriously, I was young and had nothing to do, -UNDERGOING EDIT- (Not anymore) ✔ = edited I'm only editing the litera...
56.7K 767 14
Hermione Granger. War heroine. The Brains of The Golden Trio. Engaged to Ronald Weasley. What happens when they're relationship takes a turn for the...
114K 4K 41
❝You're not going to take no for an answer, are you?❞ ❝You should know the answer to that by now, Harry.❞ ⁂ Life has always been a bit disorganized f...
796K 29.2K 65
[Complete] Maybe, fate didn't want Hermione Granger to run away. Maybe, fate wanted Hermione Granger to change the world instead. || In which, with a...