Cousin Evelyn ~ Downton Abbey

By rocketeerin

*ON HOLD* Cora Crawley had another brother. Her brother married and had a beautiful daughter named Evelyn Lev... More

Prologue (pt.1) ~ Burn
Prologue (pt. 2) ~ Welcome to Downton
Introduction
1 ~ That's why I don't like ships
2 ~ The Gala of 1910
3 ~ No rain, no flowers
4 ~ May I have this dance?
5 ~ Thorns
6 ~ A fortune
7 ~ Duke of Cowborough
8 ~ (chapter removed)
9 ~ Goodbye, Bates
10 ~ The other Crawleys
11 ~ Late for a date
12 ~ Conductor Ben
13 ~ The Lawyer
14 ~ Alls Fair in Heartbreak
15 ~ The Turkish Diplomat
16 ~ How to get away with scandal
17 ~ The Downton Fair
18 ~ Andover and under
19 ~ Youthful glow
20 ~ Ungovernable
22 ~ Ill Omen
23 ~ Search and Rescue (pt.1)
24 ~ Search and Rescue (pt.2)
25 ~ Hero's Amelioration
26 ~ A Very Merry Unbirthday
27 ~ Confused Confession
A/N: Lets clarify some things
28 ~ I don't like ships...or men
29 ~ A broken girl
30 ~ Happy Seafarer
31 ~ Land of the Free...and Neutral
32 ~ What will be, will be
Big decision
33 ~ Helpless
34 ~ Mercy Ship
35 ~ Familiar embrace
36 ~ Letters from home
37 ~ My dear Evelyn,
38 ~ Rest to a Wraith
39 ~ Homecoming
40 ~ Back to Work
41 ~ Temporariness of a Day
NEW COVER - VOTE!
42 ~ How the mighty fall
43 ~ War Stories (pt.1)

21 ~ In Full Bloom

2.8K 112 161
By rocketeerin

I'm gonna put this A/N at the beginning of this chapter because I want to say...

WE REACHED OVER 10K READS!!🎉

Thank you all so so much for the support this story has gotten! This is story has one of the most interactive and kind reader-bases I have ever had and it genuinely makes me smile.

I was so shocked to see that Cousin Evelyn had been #1 in the 'Downton Abbey' category for several weeks! I enjoy writing this story so much and I'm so pleased you all love it as much as I do and continue to support it!

Thank you all so much! I hope you all enjoy this chapter!😘✨

------------------

Saturday marked the day of the annual Downton Flower Show. The Crawley family gathered in the parlor waiting on Evelyn - who was rushing around her room looking for her scallop-brimmed hat. For an unknown reason, the flower show always meant dressing in pale, earth-tone colors and anything too bright made you stick of the crowd like a sore thumb.

Evelyn rummaged through her drawer, growling in annoyance in the process. She suddenly gasped and darted to the floor, lifting the edge of her comforter to find her hat shoved under her bed. "Aha!" She jammed her arm under the bed in an attempt to reach the edge of the ribbon.

"What on earth are you doing?" An amused Sybil asked from the doorway.

"My hat is under the bed!"

"How did it get under there?"

"Uhhh...I may have wanted to see if it flew like a frisbee and it slid under...but I only just now remembered I had done that!"

Sybil chuckled and moved closer. "Let me try."

Evelyn propped herself on her knees to allow Sybil space. Sybil grunted as she struggled to grip the ribbon until she quickly grabbed ahold of it. "Got it!" She pulled the hat free and tossed it to Evelyn.

Evelyn smiled and brushed off the bit of dust. "Thank you, Sybil! Though I do wish you hadn't managed to get it...it's about the ugliest thing I've ever seen." She turned her nose up at the beige hat with silk, baby-blue ribbon around the base. The hat matched her creme and beige 3/4 sleeve dress that had a baby blue ribbon tied around the waist.

"It's not that bad. I think you look lovely in beige" Sybil said as she rose to her feet. "Granny's getting rather impatient we better get going. I'll help you put it on once we get there, hm?"

Evelyn nodded and followed Sybil out of her room. Once Violet had spotted the girls, she narrowed her eyes at Evelyn and tapped her cane on the granite floor. "A moment longer and I just might have died!"

Robert rolled his eyes. "Don't be so dramatic, mother. Let's get going everyone!"

--------------

The Crawley's, divided into two cars, pulled up to the Downton Event Center as residents scattered at the entrance to hand in their tickets for the show. Evelyn looked out the car window as Tom parked. She smiled at the floral decor lining the usually dull building. Hopping out of the car, she saw Molesley unloading the basket of flowers on the front of his bike - no doubt some of the extras his dad insisted they present.

"I'm going to help Molesley," Evelyn informed Sybil.

"I have to pin your hat on."

"Forget the hat. No one will notice."

"Yes. They will!" Violet called from around the other car.

"Ok, no one but Lady Violet will notice. I'll worry about it later."

Sybil nodded with a smile. "Fine. You're too stubborn."

With a wink, Evelyn jogged over to Molesley and snatched a few small vases from him. He whipped around wide-eyed and confused until he saw her. "Oh! Lady Evelyn, you scared me!"

"Sorry. Are these picks from today?" She sniffed the red roses in her arms. "They're beautiful."

"Yes, they are. And that one," he pointed at the little green vase with a red rose in her arms, "is for you. Father knows your favorites are the red ones and he picked one special for you as a thank you for helping him."

Evelyn grinned. "How sweet! I do love red roses. I will cherish it forever!"

"I know you will. So I'm guessing you're not going to let me take those vases from you?"

"Absolutely not. I will carry these in. You have your hands full."

Molesley smiled and nodded as he led Evelyn through the back entrance of the building.

"So, how's working for Isobel and Matthew? They're treating you right I'd hope."

"Oh, they treat me very well. They're kind people...much kinder than Lady Violet."

Evelyn chuckled. "I think an angry bear would be kinder than Lady Violet."

"No doubt there. Mister Matthew talks about you quite often, you know."

Evelyn smiled, a bit taken aback. "Does he now? What does he say?"

"Well anytime your name is brought up in a conversation he's almost instantly brought back to life...it's quite amusing actually. He just speaks on your kindness, your likeness to him. He's mentioned how he enjoys being in your presence. All good things, I assure you."

A blush rose to Evelyn's cheeks. "Kind of him to say."

"All true, though."

Evelyn and Molesley wandered into the main hall and to the table with his name. Mr. Molesley nervously fixed some petals on the white roses Evelyn had arranged the day before. Evelyn skipped over to him and rose on her toes to place a gentle kiss on the old man's cheek.

"Thank you for the rose, Mister Molesley."

The old man blushed and smiled. "It was the least I could do, Evie."

"And so much more! Now, where do you want these little white vases?"

"Don't ask me...I'm not good at decorating, you know that. Place them as you please."

"Aye ey, captain." She saluted goofily before scanning the table and setting the vases down momentarily. She looked at her rose and pondered what to do with it so it wouldn't get mixed up with a competing rose. "Hmm," she picked up the vase and gazed around the room until her eyes landed on a familiar blond in beige and baby-blue (colors very similar to her own apparel). "Matthew!" Evelyn briskly walked his way, catching his attention as a dimpled smile lined his face. "Would you mind holding this for me? Just for a bit. Mister Molesley gave it to me and I don't want it to be accidentally mixed in with the others."

Matthew immediately took the slender little vase and nodded. "I would be honored to hold your rose."

"Evelyn, dear, hello!" Isobel appeared beside Matthew with a bright smile.

"Hello, Isobel! You look lovely today."

"As do you, dear. Doesn't she, Matthew?"

Matthew blushed and nodded. "Of course she does...she always does."

His words caught Evelyn off guard as she blinked quickly and found herself at a loss for words. "W-w...thank you. I should get back to Mister Molesley." She hastily made her back to Mr. Molesley's table.

Isobel smirked. "You flustered the poor girl, Matthew."

He chuckled. "That wasn't my intention. I was only stating the truth."

Evelyn chewed on her lip as she scattered the little vases throughout the larger ones. Once she had set out the last vase, it was time for the showing and judging. "Mister Molesley, I'll go join the family now. I'll put in a good word for your beautiful display." She winked.

"Thank you, Evie."

Evelyn first ventured to Matthew, who scanned over the flower tables with her rose tucked securely under his forearm. Evelyn delicately slipped it out and squeezed his forearm in doing so. "Thank you."

"I do hope I protected it to your liking."

"Hmmm...." she pretended to inspect it thoroughly. "Well this petal right here was a bit livelier when I brought it to you so that's an issue..." she inspected further as Matthew smirked amusedly at her dramatics. "there's less water in the vase I don't know how you managed to do that."

"Maybe the rose...oh, I don't know...drank the water?"

Evelyn looked at him in pure shock. "How dare you. I'm offended. This rose is the most innocent creature on this planet and you've insulted him. I simply cannot look at you a moment longer." She scoffed and turned on her heels to walk to her family.

Matthew chuckled behind her. "I restate my point that you are a child."

She whipped around. "If you really thought of me as a child you would think me annoying and bothersome...but instead my childish antics make you smile, do they not?"

"I don't know what you mean."

"Hm, those dimples say otherwise."

"Is your intent to make me smile, then?"

Evelyn was taken aback by his recent spurt of boldness...not that she minded, she did enjoy a bit of bold banter. She grinned. "Yes."

Evelyn saw in a sparkle in Matthew's eyes she had not seen before - it made her heart flutter. Matthew began to speak when Edith stood next to him, catching his attention momentarily.

"Hello, Matthew. So wonderful to see you." She gushed. Evelyn discreetly rolled her - or, at least she thought it was discreet. Edith's jaw tensed before giving her a forced smile. "Evie why don't you go talk to granny about...muffs."

Evelyn lifted a brow. "Why?"

"Well she was complaining about how you have to have the right muff otherwise it just feels like so much dead weight to carry around. The one you have is fleece-lined, yes? Much lighter. She'd love to know." Edith smirked

Evelyn's amused face immediately fell as her heart sped. She had two options: lunge herself at Edith and rip her hair out or walk away and deal with it later. While the second option was the most rational, it would mean having to leave Matthew; however, Evelyn didn't necessarily feel like causing a scene.

"Yes...that makes sense. I'll go do that. I'll see you in a bit, Matthew." She smiled kindly at him and sent a glare toward a smirking Edith.

Reluctantly, Evelyn trudged away from the disappointed blue eyes behind her.

"There you are," Cora smiled and placed a hand on Evelyn's back, and guided her around the displays.

The Crawley family eventually made it around to Mister Molesley's table, the old man smiled proudly at his display.

"My word, Molesley, splendid roses, as usual. Well done." Robert gushed.

"Thank you, Your Lordship."

Violet hummed. "All stalls are set out very well this year."

"But some are splendid...outshined by the nepotism and, dare I say, looked over out of sheer terror," Evelyn spoke through a smirk.

Violet glanced over her shoulder at the girl and pursed her lips.

Cora ran her finger delicately over the roses. "This is enchanting. Do we grow this?"

"I doubt if you that one, Your Ladyship. I've only just found it myself."

"Is it a secret, or could you tell Mister Brocket?" Cora asked.

Mr. Molesley knitted his hands together and smiled nobly. "I'd be glad to, milady." He looked at Evelyn who sent him a wink.

Cora turned to Robert. "He should come and see the rose garden. He could give us ideas."

Robert nodded. "Old Molesley's a champion. Or he would be in a fairer world."

Violet scoffed. "Don't you start."

Isobel strode to the family and stood by Evelyn. "I'm afraid I've been annoying Cousin Violet on that score."

Violet eyed her. "If Molesley deserves first prize for his flowers, the judges will give it to him."

Robert smiled. "They wouldn't dare. They are, as Evelyn put it, obligated out of sheer terror."

"Really, Robert, you make me so annoyed. Isn't it possible I should win the thing on merit?" Violet defended.

"I think the appropriate answer to that, Mama, is 'Yes, dear'."

Evelyn chuckled. "Always so hostile," she said to Isobel.

"Indeed, but I suppose that's part of her charm. Came, walk with me." Isobel linked her arm in Evelyn's and pulled her along as they went ahead of the family to look at other competing tables.

Cora and Robert watched Evelyn get swept away. Cora chuckled. "Are we going to have to get used to sharing our Evelyn?

Robert nodded. "It would appear so."

----

"How have you been, dear? It's been a while since we spoke. You must come by the house when you're available." Isobel insisted.

"I've been well. I wish I could say I've been busy but is a woman in the upper levels of the Downton house ever busy? And yes, I was thinking the same. What about tomorrow afternoon? After church."

"That would be splendid! Do you like brie? Our cook makes these delightful little brie and cranberry tarts and I would love for her to make some for you."

"I do, yes. That sounds great. But please don't go out of your way for me. If you couldn't already tell, I'm quite a casual creature."

"I have indeed. That's something I quite admire about you. Matthew as well. He's always been, as you put it, a casual creature himself."

Evelyn nodded. "I suppose that's why we get on so well."

"You do, don't you? He's grown quite fond of you, I do believe. It's good for him. He surrounds himself with boring old men and thus he can often seem like one himself! He is still so young and needs a bit of spunk in his life...that's why I'm pleased he's taken to you."

"I'm spunky am I?" She smirked.

"In the most delightful way!"

She and Isobel made small talk while making the rounds around the room. Eventually, they approached a table as Isobel struck up a conversation with the woman showing her pink and purple peonies. Evelyn fought the urge to look back at Matthew, curious to know if Edith still had him trapped. Her urge got the better of her as she glanced over her shoulder to see him talking to Mary instead...and he was smiling...and laughing. For some odd reason, Evelyn felt her heart sting at the sight. Generally, Evelyn had been one of the few to provoke a genuine laugh from the man but it seemed as though now she was not the only one. Evelyn steered her gaze back to the woman rambling on about the perfect peony conditions and smiled at her as if she had heard a thing she said.

Suddenly, a shadow covered Evelyn as she furrowed her brows, unsure of where the shadow was coming from.

"Do forgive me, Mises Crawley, but would you think me rude to steal Lady Evelyn away?" The voice of Grant Kennon sounded beside her.

"Of course not, dear!" Isobel released Evelyn's arm as Grant took her place.

"You seem down this afternoon. Unhappy to see me?" Grant commented with a smile.

She shook her head and smiled back. "No, no. Not at all. Just a bit tired is all. So, what do you think of the flowers?"

"They're beautiful. Some talented gardeners in Downton. But, I would be lying if I said I came to see the flowers."

Evelyn blushed. "Let me guess, you came to see Lady Violet. The notorious reigning champion?" she joked.

Grant chuckled. "Not necessarily, no. I actually came to see if you were free on Monday."

"Monday...haven't they predicted it will storm that day?"

"Those unhinged weathermen are wrong nine times out of ten, I think it will turn out to be quite a beautiful day...that's my prediction."

"So you're a lawyer by day and a weatherman by night? Impressive."

He smirked. "There's a lot you will learn about me, Evelyn."

"Anything I should know now?"

"Not quite yet."

"If you say so. Anyway, how's the will coming along?"

"Well, that's actually what I planned on doing Monday. I would like to go back to the Andover house and discuss some of the assets associated with it. I have a feeling I can break some things up which might make finding a crack in the entail a bit easier."

Evelyn furrowed her brows. "You can do that? Just detach assets from the will?"

"It's a tedious process but yes. There are certain things not specified in the will that I have some leverage over...but I don't want the say over them, that's your job."

"What exactly do you need me to do with them?"

"I want you to determine what stays attached to the house and what is separated. Anything detached from the house will lose some of its worth to the will as a whole but that means you would be able to acquire some assets before you marry."

Evelyn steadily nodded, not entirely understanding but trusting his words - he was the lawyer after all. "Ok...I guess that's fine."

"Excellent. Oh, and it would be best if you didn't bring anyone with you. Often in these situations, the families of those in the entail try and influence the decisions. Nasty business. Everyone feels as though they are owed something when this should be all about you and what you want." He smiled kindly.

Evelyn halfheartedly smiled. "I suppose so, yes. I'll let them know."

"No." He growled irritatedly. Evelyn's eyes darted to him in confusion. "I just meant...if they know where you'll be, they'll most definitely show up and that would defeat the purpose of the walkthrough. So, until you return to them I wouldn't recommend mentioning your plans for the day."

Evelyn bit her lip, her stomach churning at the lingering sound of his angry voice. Despite the uncomfortable feeling, she nodded. "Ok..."

Grant's face softened. "Great. It seems as though they're about to start the ceremony. Shall we go?"

Evelyn nodded as Grant led her to the front of the room, in front of the little stage and podium. Matthew weaved through the crowd as he spotted Evelyn but stopped in his tracks when he caught Grant's warning gaze as he stood behind her, a hand on her arm as he pushed her to the front - a bit too rough. Matthew stood frozen, anger bubbling in him.

Grant maneuvered Evelyn to stand by her family. Robert smiled. "Grant! Hello, how're you?"

The men shook hands. "I'm well, Robert. How're the lower farmlands I heard there were some issues with one of the houses?"

Robert and Grant began their uninteresting conversation as Evelyn's mind buzzed with...worry. She felt something deep in her that told her she should not have agreed to meet with him. The feeling similar to the one she felt about Ben...but her feeling was correct about Ben - in a way.

"Oh, Evie. I was looking for you." Evelyn's gaze flew up to Sybil. "Gwen got a response from the secretary position. They told her she didn't fit their requirements. How ridiculous is that? And - Evie, are you listening to me?"

Evelyn blinked a few times, realizing she really wasn't listening. "Yes, I am. Sorry."

"Is something wrong?"

Grant's eyes shifted away from Robert and down to Evelyn, his shoulders tensed.

She shook her head. "No, of course not."

He focused back on Robert as his shoulders relaxed again.

"That's ridiculous. She's very skilled." Evelyn continued, pushing her uneasy feeling to the side.

"I thought so as well. Poor thing, she's so discouraged now."

"I'm sure you assured her that she had no reason to be."

"Of course I did! But that's easier said than done."

"Well..." Evelyn crossed her arms. "We'll just have to keep looking. I'll be at the Crawley's tomorrow after church with Isobel so I'll scour the local offices and see if anyone is in need of a receptionist."

Grant's ears perked up again.

Sybil smiled. "You're going to the Crawley's house? What for? Wedding planning?"

Evelyn rolled her eyes. "Yes, actually, we're putting together the guest list and I'll be sure to add you to the 'banned from the premise' column along with Lady Violet and Edith." Sybil chuckled at Evelyn's snarky remark. "She just wanted to have tea is all."

Grant gritted his teeth, rather displeased with Evelyn's plans.

"Don't act like this is just a casual tea, Evie. You know better."

"What do you mean?"

"Isobel has not once asked any of us to tea nor does she really give us too much attention; I mean, why would she? All of her son's attention is on you, not us...not Mary. You know, Evie, I'd say love is in full bloom with you two. Get it? Full bloom...we're at a flower show."

Evelyn narrowed her eyes. "Funny. The funniest thing you've ever said," she said bluntly. "I know I sound sarcastic but it may actually be the funniest thing you've ever said."

Sybil grinned. "I've been spending way too much time with you."

"Sybil?"

"Hm?"

"Would you say...this might be a bit too early...but, would you say Matthew has pollen in love with me"

Sybil and Evelyn snorted and giggled. Mary side-eyed them. "Would you two hush. Like two children, I swear."

"Oh Mary, leaf us alone." Evelyn retorted, resulting in more giggles and a rather annoyed Mary.

Evelyn's eyes gazed around the room as she spotted the Downton staff on the other side of the room. Pulling herself away from Grant, she moved to the back of the crowd to not draw attention as she made her way to stand by Anna. Gripping the girl's hand, Anna turned to her and smiled.

Anna leaned over and whispered, "I have something to tell you later."

"Ohh, what's it about?"

Anna didn't speak, but instead, she discreetly nodded toward Bates who stood in front of her. Evelyn looked at Anna's saddened expression and knew it was nothing good. She nodded and squeezed her hand reassuringly.

In front of her, she noticed Thomas standing by O'Brien. Evelyn decided it had been far too long since she had been a nuance to Thomas. Reaching her foot out, she hooked his pant leg with the tip of her shoe as she tugged at it slightly. Thomas jerked forward and was about to yell at whoever it was until he saw Evelyn with a mischievous grin. Thomas scowled and took a few steps back, landing him next to Evelyn.

"Did you need something or are you just harassing me?"

Evelyn just smiled at him.

He nodded. "Just harassing me it is."

"Evelyn, we need you for a moment." Robert appeared behind her, looking rather distressed.

"Oh, ok. Excuse me." She smiled at Anna and Thomas before following him back up to the front of the room. "What's wrong?"

"Mama, here she is," Robert said to Violet who immediately turned to look at her.

"Thank you, Robert. Evelyn, I need you to make the introduction speech."

Evelyn's mouth dropped. "What?"

"Mises Able got sick and didn't tell anyone so no one is here to make the speech," Robert informed.

"Well...where is her speech?"

Violet hummed. "We don't have a copy. You'll have to improvise."

"Why me?"

"Well...Mary would be too melancholy, Edith would barely be able to get a word out and might vomit, and Sybil would turn it into a women's rights protest...so that leaves you." Violet explained.

"What am I supposed to say?"

"Introduce yourself, address where we are in case someone has forgotten, give a spiel about how lovely the flowers are, and then introduce me. I'll motion to you when it's time." Violet instructed.

"Ok...ok...you were worried about Edith but I might be the one to vomit."

"You didn't eat breakfast did you?" Violet asked.

Evelyn raised a brow. "No -"

"Excellent. Nothing to come up. Now go." Violet shoved to towards the little stairs.

Evelyn stumbled up onto the stage and shuffled to the podium. The crowd immediately went silent once Evelyn managed to steady herself, her hands gripping the podium. She smiled and knitted her hands in front of her.

"Hello, everyone. My name is Evelyn...or better known as the niece to Lord and Lady Grantham. I know you all expected Mises Able to give the introductory speech but it would seem as though she came down with something so...here I am." Evelyn glanced over the smiling crowd, catching Matthew's gaze as he gave her a little thumbs up. "I would like to welcome you all to the annual Downton Flower Show." The crowd applauded. "I'd like to begin by thanking you all for joining us for this beloved event; however, I would like to especially thank you all for supporting the gardeners of our village, those who entered independently as well as those who entered on behalf of their patrons. I think we can all agree that this event can be quite a tedious one: the setup, the preparation, the tables of refreshments, having every single petal in place, and having to wake up on the weekend to get all dressed up to attend. On top of making sure your outfit meets unspoken beige and grey dress code." The crowd chuckled and looked around at the sea of beige, grey, and pastels. "I'll be honest with you all, growing up seeing this event as silly and a bit excessive..." Violet eyed her wearily. Evelyn smiled. "However, as I grew up, I was able to appreciate the efforts and the beauty these gardeners bring to this village and I finally understood why this is so important. How often do you walk along Waller Street or Hummingbird Lane and stop to pick a tulip or a daisy? I can personally say just about every time. There's no telling how many times a young boy picked a pretty red begonia for the girl he fancied; and now, they might even be married! I wonder how many little girls found the perfect pink geranium to give to her mother because she knew it was her favorite color. I don't think we realize that most of those stunning flowers, and the memories that stem from them..." she winked at Sybil, emphasizing her little pun. "...are maintained by our gardeners who have worked for years to make sure we live in one of the most charming villages in, dare I say, all of England. Because of them, we are able to gather, as a community, and celebrate our home and the lives that might be changed by the simplest gesture of picking a flower." Evelyn gazed down at Violet who held the slightest hint of a smile. Violet nodded, signifying it was time. "Again I'd like to thank you all for gathering here, thank you for celebrating our gardeners and their patrons. Let's get onto the main event, shall we? To award the well-deserved prize I'd like to introduce our reigning Flower Show champion, The Dowager Countess of Grantham, Lady Violet Crawley."

The crowd of bright smiles applauded and cheered. Robert assisted Violet onto the stage as Evelyn turned to walk off the other way; however, Violet grabbed her arm. "Stay right here," Evelyn nodded and stood beside Violet. After Violet had awarded several awards for various categories, it was time for the biggest award of the flower show. "And now the Grantham Cup for the Best Bloom in the village. And the Grantham Cup is awarded to..." Violet opened the piece of paper as she and Evelyn scanned over the words: The Dowager Countess of Grantham. Violet sighed and caught sight of Mr. Molesley's discouraged eyes. Violet then glanced at Evelyn, who offered her a reassuring smile. "Mister William Molesley...for his Comtesse Cabarrus rose."

Evelyn smiled and bit her lip, nearly bursting into happy tears.

"Bravo! Well done!" Isobel congratulated as the crowd applauded, most of them in awe by the skew in results.

Mister Molesley took off his hat, in complete shock as most of the crowd was, and approached the podium for Violet to hand him the fairly large gold trophy. "Congratulations, Mister Molesley." She said with a genuine smile.

He bowed his head. "Thank you, milady. Thank you for letting me have it."

Violet gasped. "It's the judges who decide these things, not me. Isn't that right, Evelyn?"

Violet and Mister Molesley turned their gaze to Evelyn who grinned and nodded. "It says it right here, Mister William Molesley, can't argue with the results. Unless, of course, you don't want it." She winked.

Mister Molesley grinned and shook his head. "I most certainly want it. Thank you again, milady." He smiled at Violet before going to celebrate with his son.

Violet pursed her lips and side-eyed a grinning Evelyn. "I don't want to hear a word from you."

"You're a nice person." She squealed with a child and shifted back and forth on her feet.

Violet looked offended. "Don't insult me, dear." Her expression faded into a slight smile. "I will say, I wanted you to stand next to me as a guilt trip."

"What?"

"Don't think I never knew why I won every year. Mister Molesley is a good man... an honorable man...a hard-working man. He's someone you so admire so dearly so I decided to relinquish my title...only this once."

"You let him win for me?"

"I let him win..." Violet furrowed her brows, trying to craft the right words. "...because you were right."

Evelyn tilted her head. "I'm not following."

"Has Robert ever told you about how his father and I met?" Violet asked. Evelyn shook her head. "Maybe one day I'll tell you the whole story but I will tell you this: he gave me a little bouquet of purple primroses that he picked on what is now known as Hummingbird Lane. He told me he picked them because they were beautiful and violet...like me. What I'm saying is that my life was indeed changed by the simplest gesture of picking a flower. For the moment, I will admit, I was humbled."

Evelyn grinned. "I'm glad he picked those flowers for you, I wouldn't know you otherwise... and oh how boring my life would be if I did not."

Violet gripped Evelyn's wrist. "I am as well, my dear. Shall we join the family?"

Evelyn nodded. Violet gathered her papers off the podium as Evelyn gazed over the crowd, spotting Matthew and Grant in what appeared to be a heated discussion. Both men had tense jaws and clenched fists, trying to compose themselves while also obviously wanting to brawl. Matthew lifted his finger, nearing Grant's face as he spoke quickly and accusingly. Grant laughed irritatedly at Matthew and shoved his hand down...that nearly set Matthew over the edge. Grant threw on his coat and, with a few more words through gritted teeth, stormed out of the building. Matthew sighed and dropped his head, letting his fists unclench as his chest heaved

"Ok, dear, I'm ready." Violet snapped Evelyn out of her trance as the two walked off the stage and towards a thrilled Robert and Cora.

"Well done, Mama. That must've been a real sacrifice." Robert said knowingly.

"And bravely born." Cora agreed.

Violet scoffed in fake confusion. "I don't know what everyone's on about."

"But I -" Cora began before Violet continued.

"All is well, my dear. All is well." Violet patted Cora's shoulder before striding away to speak to some of her acquaintances.

"And you..." Robert began as he hugged Evelyn. "...made a beautiful impromptu speech."

Cora nodded. "We had so many people approach us telling us how absolutely lovely you are...you've certainly made your presence known."

Evelyn raised her brow. "It wasn't even anything revolutionary why is it such a big deal?"

Robert chuckled. "Well of course they all know who you are but addressing the community is a big deal. It shows your maturity."

"Oh...I'm sorry. It should have been Mary or Edith -"

"Why, dear?" Cora asked confusedly.

"Their status in this community means more than mine. I'm not even -"

Cora gasped defensively. "Don't you dare say you're not a part of this family. You may not have the Crawley name...though one day you might...but you are our daughter, Evelyn. We want you to succeed as much as our other children. We are so proud of you."

Evelyn blushed at the Crawley comment.

Robert nodded, tightening his arm comfortingly around Evelyn. "We are very proud of you. The woman you've become is more than we could have hoped for. And while you see that speech as something small, it shows us what you're capable of."

Evelyn looked between her Aunt and Uncle, tears in her eyes. "Thank you. Both of you."

"Don't thank us for speaking the truth!" Robert insisted. "Now, Cora, Mises Crawford wanted to speak to us."

"Oh, right. Would you like to join us, Evie?"

She shook her head. "I think I'll just make rounds around the room."

"Of course, dear. We'll see you in a while." Cora squeezed her arm before she and Robert trailed away.

Evelyn was weighing her two options: ask Matthew what that was all about or join the Downton staff around the refreshments table. However, the decision was quickly made for her once Edith approached Matthew and began to console him. Matthew was obviously uninterested in being bothered but, as it was Edith, she didn't get the message. Evelyn sighed and strode towards the staff.

Thomas was the first to see her approach as he slow clapped. "Look everyone it's our beauty queen."

"Shut up, Thomas." Evelyn chuckled.

"Where's her crown?" William continued the joke.

Anna spotted a little flower wreath on one of the competitor's tables that consisted of red sweet peas, orange African daisies, and yellow pansies. She jogged over to them. "Can I borrow this?"

The lady smiled. "As I assume it's for Lady Evelyn, of course. And do keep it."

"Thank you!" Anna picked up the little flower wreath and strode back to the staff, handing it to Thomas. "Here it is."

"Ah! Perfect!" Thomas stood behind Evelyn and held the wreath over her head before he began to speak dramatically. "Ladies and gentlemen thank you for attending this royal coronation of someone of higher esteem than Queen Mary."

"Thomas..." Evelyn groaned.

"Shh. May I present to you, Lady Evelyn Rose Levinson, the honorary Miss Downton Nineteen Fourteen."

Thomas placed the wreath on her head as the staff cheered and applauded obnoxiously, catching the attention of everyone in attendance. The crowds around them smiled and applauded as well. Evelyn's cheeks flushed and her eyes went wide. She whirled around and smacked Thomas in the stomach, only prompting a triumphant laugh from him.

"I despise all of you...or I would if I didn't love you all so much."

"I didn't realize we had a queen in our midst." Matthew strode over with an amused smirk. He bowed dramatically. "Your Highness."

"Stop that." Evelyn grabbed his bicep - which, she noticed, was quite firm - and hoisted him out of his bow. "They embarrass me enough I don't need you adding to it." She playfully glared at the staff.

Thomas grinned and nodded to Matthew. "We'll leave our king and queen to chat."

Evelyn sent them a real glare this time as they giggled like children and retreated.

"We'll see you back at the house, Evelyn," Anna called before they began to leave the building.

"Sorry about them," She smiled.

Matthew shook his head. "No need to apologize, they seem like fun. And seem to adore you."

"I'd like to think they adore me as much as I adore them. Are you...alright?"

Matthew sighed. "You saw?"

She nodded. "The last bit anyway."

"Yes, I'm fine. It was nothing of concern...I promise."

"Was it about me?"

Matthew shoved his hands into his pockets and chewed at his lip. "You were mentioned."

"Then I should be concerned. You two were friends from what I understood and now you seem so hostile. Why?"

"I don't know, really. He's changed...his behavior worries me now. If you have to be involved in any affairs regarding him I do ask that you let me know."

Evelyn tensed, gulping a bit. Should I tell him about Tuesday? "I will..."

He nodded wearily, seeing the hesitancy in her eyes. "Ok..."

"Evelyn! We're going to leave you if you don't come on!" Mary called by the door.

The two glanced around the room to see it had cleared out significantly. "Oh wow. I guess it's time to go."

"It would appear so." He motioned his hand to the door as the two made their way to the exit.

"I'll see you tomorrow I'm sure, after church."

He raised his eyebrow. "After church?"

"Your mother wanted me to join her for tea tomorrow afternoon."

Matthew smiled and nodded. "I didn't know that. I'll be out for a bit with a client but I'll try to make it back home to see you."

"Well don't rush yourself on my behalf."

"Well no I wouldn't be rushing. I'd love to be able to see you and have a proper sit-down chat. I feel like we are always surrounded by others."

"You're right...I hadn't really noticed. Oh, Tom's here. I should go."

"I'll see you tomorrow, Your Highness." He bowed quickly before she could object.

Rolling her eyes, she smiled. "Bye, Matthew." She strode to the car and hopped in beside Cora.

The whole ride home, Evelyn's stomach turned with two emotions: butterflies and uneasiness.

----------------

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

159K 3.9K 28
F I L A N O L V L E E N »» FALLEN IN LOVE! - develop a deep romantic to someone. »» IN WHERE A GROUP OF CHILDREN GO THR...
65K 1.1K 83
REVISING! You're just Tom's little sister he never talked about. When out of the blue you get a call from him inviting you to Downton Abbey to meet h...
2.8K 71 11
Continuation of Downton Abbey, the life of the third daughter (OC) of Robert and Cora Crawley. MUST READ SEASON 1,2,3 BEFORE READING THIS TO CATCH U...
14.1K 613 59
March 1912 - a baby is abandoned at the doors of Downton Abbey. Servant Thomas Barrow agrees to claim paternity for the foundling. The story mainly r...