Fighting the Flames (complete)

By kaitysue

A low rumble come from accost the spring, freezing me in my tracks. slowly, I turned around not wanting to ma... More

ch. 1
Ch 2
ch 4
ch. 5
ch. 6
ch 7
ch 8
ch. 9
ch 10
ch 11
ch 12
Ch 13
A/N
ch. 14
ch 15
ch 16
ch 17
ch 18
tada!
The story continues...

ch 3

361 22 9
By kaitysue

"I'll need to ask my wife about ye proposal..." my pa answered as I berried my face deeper into the back of my brother's tunic. It wasn't a yes but at the same time, it wasn't a definite no. "Why don't ye stay for supper and we may ponder this... proposition then." My father said trying to negotiate.... Trader.

"Ye cannot seriously be considering this!" my brother yelled at our pa. As always, he had come to my recue.

"Lets not make hast with our decisions. It seems like a fair trade. Harmone is of age to wed and he is offering us an overly fair price." My pa tried reasoning with my brother.

"Thanks pa." I said sarcastically. I un-nuzzled my face from behind my brothers back and looked at my father with new eyes. This proved that anything could be bought... even your only daughter.

"Harmone..." my dad said with sad eyes. His short brown hair looked more gray than usual. His skin look more tethered and used like a pair of shoes. His clothes where practically nothing but rags. This man had sacrificed his happiness for ours and I was being a brat and not willing to give up mine to make his sufferings easer.

"I'm going to go help ma." I said as I swiftly turned on my heel. I felt tears start to form in the corners of my eyes but I vigorously blinked them away. I didn't want to get taken away from my home but at the same time, I knew that it would make it easier on my family. I had to choose between what I want and what's better for the people I love.

I pushed open the makeshift wooden door and closed it quietly behind me. I journeyed deeper into the house and to the kitchen. Sure enough, my ma was there stirring the stew that was made from leftover meat that she had managed to save and vegetables from our garden. It was going to be one of those nights where you have to force yourself to swallow the food. I scrunched up my face at the memory of eating it last time she made it.

"Why are ye making that face?" My mom snapped once she saw me. I quickly wiped the look off my face and looked up at her innocently

"I was just thinking about the lad talking to dad... ye know the tax collector." I lied smoothly. I wasn't going to break it to my mom that her food tasted just as fowl as it smelled. She had honey blond hair like me and old tired grey eyes like me and my brother. She had a pointed nose and thin lips. I had my pa's soft nose and full lips.

"Why? What's wrong?" she asked with worry laced into her voice and shining in her eyes.

"He- he wants- pa invited him to stay for dinner." I answered not wanting to talk about the stranger that had the nerve to ask for my hand in return for their debts to be repaid. He had our hands tied. We really didn't have much of an option as much as I hated to admit it.

"What aren't ye telling me?" my mom said sternly. She was a woman that cut striate to the point no matter how forward it was.

"He- ma, he asked for my hand in marriage... in return, all of father's debts would be paid." I said as a tear rolled down my cheek. I was scared. What was going to happen to me?

"Here, ye stir the pot and I will go talk to them." She commanded as she handed me the old wooden spoon and walked out of the house. Surly my ma would come to my recue. She would be on my side.

I stirred the small pot like my mother had told me to. My mind was now at ease. My ma wouldn't send me off with some stranger. She may be crazy at times but she is a reasonable woman. Or so I thought...

First, I heard my mother venture into my room... then I heard her rummaging through my things... but what reviled that my mom had betrayed me was when she came into the kitchen with a small bag packed with my belongings.

"No... tell me that this doesn't mean what I think it dose..." I asked as tears started to stream down my cheeks.

"Love, it won't be as bad as ye think... he's a noble, he's not to bad looking, and it's time for ye to leave the nest." My mom said as she opened her arms for me to run into.

"I'm not a wee chick! I'm ye daughter! Ye can't just sell me off like I'm a mule!" I turned around and headed towards the back door.

I was blinded by tears as I ran into something warm that sent sparks going down my spine. I wrapped my arms around it thinking that it was my brother. "I don't blame ye... ye tried to save me but ma and pa..." I trailed off. Strong arms enveloped me as I continued." what am I soposta do? I don't want this but it would make it so much easier on ma and pa. They have sacrificed so much for us and I'm too selfish to even accept this fate... Conall -"I was cut off by his voice.

"Ohhhh so ye thought I was that lad..." I heard him say with jealousy dripping from every word. Why was he jealous? He had no right to be jealous or even care. I brought my hands up in front of me and pushed away his hoping escape his grasp but he only hung on tighter to me. "Why? What does he have that I can't offer ye? What makes him so much better?" he rambled with hurt and anger clear in his melodic voice.

"Ye cannot be my brother that I haven't seen in two summers! Now unhand me!" I commanded as I pushed harder on his chest in vain.

"Oh... he's ye brother... "The stranger said in embarrassment "I thought that... erm... sorry." He said sounding truly apologetic but, he still didn't loosen his hold on me. I finally stopped struggling agents him knowing that I wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.

"Who are ye?" I asked calmly. I was going to be stuck with this man for a while so I might as well know his name.

"If I tell ye, ye must promise to tell no one." He whispered into my hair.

"How about ye tell me and I won't scream for my brother." I threatened him as calmly as I could. I wanted to yell and lose my temper at him but I knew that that wouldn't end in my favor.

"What will he do? I haven't done anything wrong." He replied with confidence.

That was my moment to strike.

I kicked his shin and took his moment of surprise to my advantage. I pulled all of my weight behind me and dragged him to the ground on top of me. I opened up my mouth to scream for my brother but a familiar laugh stopped me. I looked up to see an upside down brother.

"Harmon! That wasn't very nice." My brother managed to say in between his fits of laughter.

"How long were ye listening?" the stranger asked with a hint of a smile behind his voice.

"My apologies but when I saw my sister running out of the kitchen, I wanted to talk to her. I was surprised when she started talking to ye...." My brother trailed off with an amused smile on his face. "I decided to hide behind the door and listen in on ye conversation." His smile withered away and he looked at me with the up most serious expression. "Harmone... he can't be that bad... I mean... if it's not him, than it will be the next suitor. I highly doubt that ma and pa will let ye chose whom ye be wed. Think about it, ye could live a comfortable life. Ye wouldn't be doing half the things ma dose."

The stranger got off of me and started brushing the dirt off of him that came from my dress. "Yes but pa loves ma. Ma isn't just there wile pa is off with a mistress. Ma-"

"Works to the bone and would sacrifice anything for her family. If ye want to have the things ma has then ye need to stop being so selfish and do what ye know is right!" my brother yelled at me. He had finally lost his temper. "Harmone.... I'm sor-"he started to apologies but my tears cut him off. I tucked my head down and covered my face with my hands.

"Is that really what ye think?" I asked in a quiet voice. "That I'm being selfish?" I took in a deep shaky breath. "I agree... but-I'm-scared" she said in between sobs.

"I... I'm-"Conall tried to say but he gave up. I heard the door squeak as he opened it and then I heard the door slam. He was going to get an ear full from pa about that later...

I felt strong arms underneath me lift me up. I turned so that my tears where soaked up by his tunic... I would apologize about dirtying his fancy tunic later.

I listened as I heard a horses tail brush agents its rear to rid its self of the pests that landed on the horse and bit it. I felt as I was carefully placed on the horse sideways so I cried into my hands since I no longer had his shirt to cry into. I felt his presence leave completely as his body heat left mine and he opened the door to the house.

Why me? I asked in my head repeatedly. It was a good question. Out of all of the beautiful lasses in the village, why would he want me? I had no talent for singing or dancing. There where prettier girls in the village. These where all valid points but, I was missing the most important thing...he turned into a monster. A scary one at that! He was probably going to eat me or something.

The door opened again and I didn't bother to look up. I could feel his presence. I could feel his gauze on me. I finally looked up slightly to see my family studying the ground as the stranger tied my bag to the horse. The stranger came to the horse I was seated at and mounted it. The entire side of my body was smashed up agents him sending tingles all over my body. I looked at my family knowing it would be the last time and waved. Only my brother had the courage to look up and wave back to me. Though, his eyes held sorrow and regret.

The stranger nudged the horse so that it would go into a slow pace. His slow pace quickly turned into a sprint. I watched as my family got smaller, and smaller, and smaller in till they where nothing but a speck.

"Go to sleep love. I'll answer all of ye questions when ye awake." The stranger said with sincerity and kindness.

"Not until ye at least tell me what ye are." I replied quietly as I battled with exhaustion.

"I'm a dragon." He whispered as sleep quickly over took me and enveloped me in a blanket of blackness.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

please follow the directions bellow

if your awesome- vote, comment, and fan me

if you don't care- vote anyway and read the next chapter

if you loved it- comment, vote, and fan me

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18 0 6
Prophecy says the world will end in fire. She is that fire. The last Dragon shifter's life is finally starting to look up in an unforgiving world. Bu...
10.2K 820 28
I am fire. I am pain. I am misery. I kill what I want. Who I want. When I want No one can tame me, like the fire I am. Try to and you get burned. I w...
3M 239K 60
After fulfilling an Unbreakable Promise, Claire finally accepts her new life in Dragonwall. She has discovered a new purpose--one she created for her...
15.2K 768 51
"Who's out there?" One of the men yelled. Of course only silence met them. I remained quiet and waited for the group to start moving again. "Maybe i...