Dania {18+}

By mindlessmazes

*Mature Content; Soft DDLG* New to Houston, medical school, and struggling with her anxiety, Dania gets a lit... More

Playlists
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Epilogue
Bonus #1: Jealousy makes the heart grow fonder... right?
Bonus #1.5: Tell me how good it feels to be needed

Chapter 30

42.9K 995 771
By mindlessmazes

I felt something tickling my neck. When I tilted my head to rub my cheek to my shoulder to block it off, I was prevented by something warm and rough. I opened my eyes, with a groan. A chuckle and soft kiss to my shoulder could be heard and felt as my vision came into focus.

"Good morning, love." He groggily greeted me, burying his face back into my neck. I let out a satisfied hum and tangled my fingers in his hair, softly rubbing.

I heard a ringtone go off beside me.

"Your phone's ringing," I grumbled, wincing at the sudden, loud sounds.

"That's your phone, baby." He mumbled into my neck. The ticklish feeling made me giggle.

This was strange. I hardly ever got phone calls. Usually, it was just texts. I thought Reyn might have changed his ringtone or something.

I reached over and felt around on the side table until I felt the smooth, cool object under my fingertips.

Mama.

I shot up in bed. Any sense of sleep had evaporated and been replaced by weariness.

"What's wrong?" Reyn quickly got up beside me and read the screen. "Do you want me to answer it for you?"

I shook my head. It was better I did it myself. She was my mother; there was no way I could keep from talking to her no matter how badly I wanted to. I dragged my finger hesitantly across the bottom edge of the screen to answer the call. My chest felt tight.

"Hello?"

"Your father and I will be there tonight. We want to meet the man's parents."

I looked over at Reyn apologetically. My mother's voice was so loud he could easily hear it even if he wasn't trying.

He nodded at me in agreement, encouraging me to agree.

"Okay, that's fine. I'll check with Reyn's father and let you know the time."

My mother ended the call. The abrupt tone only made me even more anxious. This was going to be a disaster.

"I-I'm so sorry. I know you don't enjoy seeing your dad. This is going to be a huge inconvenience for Mr. Sadiq, too." I played with my hands in my lap.

"Don't worry about that man, baby. He retired as soon as I was ready to take over the firm. He spends his days lazing around. I'm sure he'll love this." Reyn huffed with an exhausted shake of his head. "You really made an impression on him at the banquet."

"He was messing with me the entire time. But I don't get the impression he really means any harm." I scoffed with a small smile.

"He's always like that. He always has his nose in everything... I'll call him now to let him know. They can meet us here so we can kick them out if necessary."

I hated that I had to speak about my parents like this. But I was too old to be pushed around by my mother. Lashing out at me like this due to her own broken heart wasn't fair. It made me desperately miss the days we used to be a happy family. Before my father's indiscretions.

I hated him for it for a long time. I blamed him for ruining our family. He didn't get anything more than civility from me, even now.

Eventually, I reconciled with myself. Despite him being a shitty spouse, he was still a great father to me. He provided for me and cared for me as any father did. Hating him only made me tired and bitter. And while I didn't forgive him for what he did and for the grief he inflicted on my mother, I didn't harbor any animosity towards him either.

To protect myself, I maintained distance. The issues in my parent's marriage had nothing to do with me. I could not be expected to choose sides and I could not be expected to mediate their conflicts. That was not my responsibility. It was theirs. They were on their own path in life and I had to focus on mine.

Now that I had to see them again, I could only hope they wouldn't drag me back into their disaster.

I was broken out of my reverie by Reyn's voice.

"He can be here at 7."

I sighed and collapsed backward onto the bed, my head bouncing on the pillow. My breath came out in staccato bursts each time my back hit the mattress.

I sent my parents a message in our group chat that was rarely ever used anymore.

Baba: Okay, habibti [my love]. See you soon.

See you soon, Baba.

"Okay, now that that's all settled. I'll take a shower and then head to the store, okay? I'll grab some breakfast on the way back, too."

I nodded before he pressed a kiss to my forehead and headed to the bathroom.

I laid back down on the bed, possibilities of how tonight could go were whirling through my mind. There was no way my parents could drag me back home. Even if I allowed them to, I'm pretty sure Reyn wouldn't have any of it. They wouldn't disown me, would they? They were paying my tuition, living expenses, and everything else. If they threatened to stop paying that, I'd have no choice but to go back with them. Anxiety and fear gnawed at my stomach. I felt nauseous.

No.

I wouldn't think about that.

I wouldn't think about any possibilities of leaving Houston. There was no way. I worked way too hard to get into medical school. I could always take a loan and start working to be able to pay everything off. There was no way I was going to let them do anything to ruin this for me.

Whatever happened, I would be okay. Just like I always was.

Deep breaths. In. Out. In. Out.

I rubbed my arms in comfort and lost myself in the patterns on the ceiling.

Sometime later, Reyn got dressed and told me he was heading to the store.

I went back to staring at the ceiling, not thinking about anything in particular. Recharged by a few minutes of mental bliss, I brushed and took a shower.

By the time I was done and had sat back down on the bed, I heard the front door open and close. Reyn walked into the room with several bags in his hands.

"You have to take the pill with food. So make sure to eat first, okay?" He spoke walking closer to the bed. My stomach pained with hunger at the scent of food.

"What did you get?"

"I got you an egg and cheese bagel."

"Ohh, yay," I exclaimed. He handed me the foil-wrapped food which I hurriedly unwrapped and bit into.

"What are we going to do for dinner?"

"I was just thinking about that," Reyn sighed as he sat down beside me and unwrapped his own bagel. We sat in silent thought, punctured by the sounds of chewing and crumpling wrappers.

"We can just order some food," I suggested, "they did pretty much invite themselves over..."

"No," Reyn muttered, "this is the first time I'm meeting your Dad. I don't want him to think we just order food all the time."

"We could just tell them that we were busy and didn't have time to make anything?"

"I'll just put something in the instant pot. Maybe a stew? That's not much work." He took another bite out of his bagel.

"That sounds good."

I paced in the living room nervously. Reyn was pouring the now-ready chicken stew into a larger bowl. I finished placing serving size bowls on the dining table with silverware. Reyn's dad would be here any minute since Reyn wanted to have a word with him beforehand.

I prayed that this night would go as smoothly as possible.

My heart skipped a beat when I heard the doorbell ring. I smoothened the pleats on my emerald midi skirt before following Reyn to the front door.

"Dania, so nice to see you again, darling."

The boisterous man walked in holding a fedora that matched his strangely simple black suit. His signature gold lion embellished cane was in his other hand.

"Hello, Mr. Sadiq." I wasn't sure how I felt about seeing him again.

"Hello, son," He diverted his attention toward the man beside me who was smartly dressed in black jeans and a navy polo. "Why did you ask me to come early?"

"Sit down father, I have a few questions for you."

"What? Is this an interrogation?" Reyn didn't waste any time sitting to the chair on the side of the couch that Mr. Sadiq was perched on.

"Did you know they were going to try to kidnap Dania on the night of the gala? Did Mr. Marciano tell you anything?"

"You think anything that occurs at my party is out of my realm of awareness, my boy?"

"And you thought putting Dani at risk was acceptable?"

"Now, now, she was never really at risk. I'm sure you now know that it was all a ploy to get Sylver back home? She was never in any real danger. I'm not that bad." He put his hand over his chest feigning offense though his eyes bespoke of nothing but amusement. "Besides, why do you think I didn't stop Amethyst from going with her? Devon must have been surprised about that."

"At the very least, you could've told me what was going on!" Reyn was close to losing his temper. His jaw was clenched, and his body was rigid from the exertion of holding himself back. I placed a hand on his thigh and felt him relax slightly. "The main reason I ask is because of the text messages Dani has been receiving. That's not Mr. Marciano's usual way of operating, is it?"

Mr. Sadiq rubbed his chin in thought, his right pointer finger tapping on the top of his cane.

"He's always been more of a brute force kind of man than someone to use such petty tactics. He didn't mention anything but trying to mess with you guys. He didn't seem to be bent on targeting Dania. He just wanted to get to Sylver." The man concluded, recalling his encounters with Sylv's father.

"That's what I thought. Now, when Dani's parents get here, don't cause any drama. Things are tense enough as it is without you adding to anything."

"Oh please, I am never one to get in the way of young love. Why do you always misunderstand me?" He shook his head dejectedly. Reyn threw his head back and pinched the bridge of his nose in exasperation.

"I'm being serious, father." He looked straight at his father and the unpredictable man looked straight back at his son.

"As am I."

The strangely potent moment was disrupted by the abrupt chime of the doorbell.

Here we go.

I opened the door this time after looking through the peephole.

"Mama, Baba, hello," I hesitantly greeted. "Mr. Sadiq is already here. Come in."

"Habibti, it's so good to see you. I've missed you," my father smiled warmly, taking me into his arms for a hug.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Qadir. Please come in. This is my father Altan Sadiq."

My parents introduced themselves before we sat down to eat.

The dad's discussed what they did while eating. My mother simply looked around with a blank face taking in everything she had overlooked in her rampage the last time she was here. She didn't even take a bite the entire time.

"I can see you do quite well for yourself, Reyn," Baba complimented.

"I've studied hard in order to do so. With the help of my father, of course." He acquiesced.

"Amina told me the two of you moved in together three months ago? How long have you two known each other?" Baba asked.

"I told Mama I knew him for two months. I've been staying here for almost a month now." I corrected him.

"Ah, that's quite soon. Just like your mother and I." He smiled.

He asked me a few things about how school was going and how I was doing overall.

He turned back to Reyn, "she seems happy, I suppose it's thanks to you. I appreciate you looking after our daughter."

"I'd be honored if you continue to let me." He humbly responded. I placed my hand on his leg and smiled up at him.

"My daughter hasn't dated anyone thus far. I trust that if she's chosen you then she's done her due diligence," he turned to me, "are you happy, habibti?"

"Yes, Baba. Very much so." I nodded, with a small smile.

"Then I have no concerns."

"What do you know about relationships?" Mama cut in. "She's known him for two months. That's nothing. Have you ever even considered what I told you?"

"I met you once while I was in Morocco for business and we ended up getting engaged the next time we saw each other." Baba reasoned.

"We spoke for months before that."

"I'm sure they would've met plenty of times before deciding to move in together, Amina. It's not a decision to be taken lightly and Dania always has been cautious. We don't know how close they are to be making decisions on their behalf. We never have before. Why start now?"

"And if she ends up miserable? Will you take responsibility?"

"That's her mistake to make, Amina. She's an adult. If she can't decide for herself now, then when can she?" My father tried reasoning.

My mother kept quiet, her anger simmering. Mr. Sadiq observed the scene quietly leaning over to me while my parents were busy staring each other down.

"There's already so much to take in. And Reyn was telling me not to start more drama." He whispered to me giddily. I refused the urge to facepalm.

Reyn glanced at his father warningly.

"I suppose we've gotten all the reassurance we need," Baba looked away from Mama and towards the rest of us. "If my daughter is happy, then I am happy. I think it's time we head back home, Amina, we already appeared here so suddenly. We don't want to overstay our welcome."

"No, Baba, it's totally okay. Why don't you have some tea or coffee."

Baba shook his head. "No, Dania, it's okay. Just come home sometime soon, okay? You can bring Reyn with you, too."

"Of course, Baba."

He kissed me on the forehead before pulling Mama along behind him.

Reyn looked at me as he shut the door behind him. "Well, that wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared."

"I was thinking the same." I looked at him with wide eyes.

I wrapped my arms around his torso and buried my face in his chest.

"I was ready for them to cut me off. I was thinking about where I could work and how to get a loan, and having to get my stuff from back home." Reyn frowned at my words.

"Nowhere in there did I hear that I might help you." Reyn assessed my face.

"Reyn, I couldn't possibly expect you to support me like that. That's unfair to you."

"So, what? I'm supposed to just watch you struggle when it's well within my means to take care of all of those issues? You're not alone anymore Dania. When are you going to start depending on me?"

"I-I'll see myself out," Reyn's father excused himself. We were too consumed in each other to pay him any mind.

I looked up at him. He was right. Not once had I considered going to him for help in the worst-case scenario. My thoughts were operating as if I was living alone, but that wasn't true. I had Reyn.

"I- I guess I've just become so used to handling everything on my own. I- I'm not used to having someone available to help me the way that you are. But you're right. If you needed anything I would want to help you. It would be hypocritical of me not to allow you to do the same. I wouldn't let you resolve everything, but maybe some of it."

He took my face into his hands. "Good." He looked around before looking at me confused.

"Where's my father?"

***

A/N I didn't proofread so I apologize for any typos. 

Since things are picking up on my end, I will be updating once a week from now on. I don't see there being many more chapters so this won't be super dragged out or anything. 

How have you guys been? I hope the beginning of Taurus season has treated you all well. Make sure to take care of yourselves. Drink water. Eat something. Get vaccinated. Stay safe.

Remember that the Universe is always working in your favor even if it may not seem like it at the moment.

Sending you lots of love and warmth,

Madhu

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.7M 1.1M 68
Deadly assassins Allegra and Ace have been trying in vain to kill each other for years. With a mutual enemy threatening their mafias, they find thems...