Ariana: The Hobbit

By BiancaEvans2

Ariana Baggins lived a quiet life in the Shire with her adopted older brother Bilbo Baggins. Until one day Ga... More

Uninvited Guests
That's What Bilbo Baggins Hates
Joining The Company
Three Mountain Trolls
Escaping Orc Pack
Rivendell and Heritage
Goblin Town
Fire and Eagles
Beorn the Skin Changer
Mirkwood Spiders
Day with King Thranduil
Escaping Mirkwood
Bard the Barge Man
Master of Lake Town
Entering the Mountain
Smaug
Broken Promise
Peace or War
Battle of the Five Armies

Thorin Oakenshield and Contract

603 19 2
By BiancaEvans2

Ariana's POV

"Ariana and Bilbo Baggins, allow me to introduce the leader of our company, Thorin Oakenshield" Gandalf says.

"So, this is the hobbit. Tell me, Mr. Baggins, have you done much fighting?" Thorin asks my brother. I frown, why would anyone need to fight in the Shire?

"Pardon me" Bilbo says looking confused.

"Axe or sword, what's your weapon of choice?" Thorin asks him.

"Well, I do have some skill at conkers, if you must know. But I fail to see why that's relevant" Bilbo tells him.

"I personally always wanted to learn how to fight with a sword" I state.

"I thought as much. He looks more like a grocer than a burglar" Thorin says ignoring my comment.

"What news from the meeting in Ered Luin? Did they all come?" Balin asks him.

"Aye, envoys from all seven kingdoms" Thorin states.

"And what did the dwarves of the Iron Hill say? Is Dain with us?" Dwalin asks him.

"They will not come" Thorin answers. The others look disheartened by the news. "They say this quest is ours, and ours alone" he states.

"You're going on a quest?"  Bilbo and I ask together.

"Bilbo, my dear fellow, let us have a little more light" Gandalf says. Bilbo goes to get some more candles. As Gandalf lays a map on the table. Bilbo returns. "Far to the East, over ranges and rivers, beyond woodlands and wastelands, lies a single solitary peak" he states.

"The Lonely Mountain" Bilbo says.

"Erebor" I state. I'd heard stories of it and about the beast that resides there. I used to pretend I was fighting a dragon freeing Erebor. But I was a kid.

"Aye, Oin has read the portents, and the portents say: it is time" a red haired dwarf says. I think I heard the others call him Gloin.

"Ravens have been seen flying back to the mountain as it was foretold. When the birds of the old return to Erebor, the reign of the beast will end" Oin recites.

"Uh...what beast?" Bilbo asks.

"Well that would be a reference to Smaug the terrible, chiefest and greatest calamity of our age. Airborne fire breather, teeth like razors, claws like meat hooks, extremely fond of precious metals" Bofur explains.

"We know what a dragon is" we tell him.

"I'm not afraid, I'm up for it. I'll give him a taste of the dwarfish iron right up his jacksy!" the youngest dwarf yells.  Another tells him to sit down.

"The task would be difficult enough with an army behind us, but we number just thirteen, and not thirteen of the best, nor brightest" Balin states.

"If we have read these signs, do you not think others will have read them too? Rumors have begun to spread. The dragon Smaug has not been seen for sixty years. Eyes look East to the mountain, assessing, wondering, weighing the risk. Perhaps the vast wealth of our people now lies unprotected. Do we sit back while others claim what is rightfully ours? Or do we seize this chance to take back Erebor?" Thorin asks them. They others agree to reclaim Erebor.

"Forgive me if I am mistaken. But wasn't the front gate sealed during Smaug's attack?" I ask them trying to remember the story.

"Aye, there is no way into the mountain" Balin states.

"That, my dear Balin, is not entirely true" Gandalf states and hands Thorin a key. "This was given to me by your father by Thrain, for safekeeping. It is yours now" he tells him.

"If there is a key, there must be a door" Fili says smiling.

"These runes speak of a hidden passage to the lower halls" Gandalf tells us.

"There's another way in" Kili says smiling at Fili.

"Well, if we can find it, but dwarf doors are invisible when closed. The answer lies hidden somewhere in this map, and I do not have the skill to find it, but there are others in Middle-Earth who can. The task I have in mind will require a great deal of stealth, and no small amount of courage. But if we're careful and clever, I believe that it can be done" Gandalf states.

"That's why we need a burglar" the youngest dwarf states.

"A good one too" I add.

"An expert I imagine" Bilbo adds.

"And are either of you?" Gloin asks us.

"I used to steal from the farmers as a kid" I admit smiling sheepishly. As Bilbo says 'am I what?'

"He said he's an expert!" one the dwarves states.

"Me? No! No, No, No! I...I'm not a burglar. I've never stolen a thing in my life. Unlike Ariana" Bilbo states.

"I always shared with you" I remind him.

"And I'm afraid I have to agree with Mr. Baggins. He's hardly burglar material. Also the wild is no place for a young lass like Miss Baggins" Balin states.

"Aye, the wild is no place for gentle folk who can neither fight nor fend for themselves" Dwalin agrees. The dwarves all start speaking over each other, suddenly Gandalf rises. The room becoming dark.

"Enough! If I say Ariana and Bilbo Baggins are burglars, then burglars they are! Hobbits are remarkably light on their feet. In fact, they can pass unseen by most if they choose. While the dragon is accustomed to the smell of a dwarf, the scent of a hobbit is all but unknown to him, which gives us a distinct advantage. You asked me to find the fourteenth member of this company, and I have chosen Mr. Baggins. Also added Ariana as she would not let him go anywhere alone. She has adopted many hobbit traits. There's a lot more to them than appearances suggest. And they have got a great deal more to offer than any of you know, including themselves" Gandalf explains. "You must trust me on this" he tells Thorin.

"Very well, give them the contract" Thorin tells Balin. Who hands Bilbo as contract. He starts to read it and I read it over his shoulder.

"Total's cash on delivery, up to but not exceeding, one fourteenth of total profit if any" Bilbo reads.

"Seems fair, we'll just share it" I tell him and he nods his head. "The present company shall not be liable for injuries inflicted by or sustained as a consequence thereof, including, but not limited to...lacerations. Evisceration" I read the next part.

"Incineration?" Bilbo asks the dwarves.

"Oh, aye, he'll melt the flesh off your bones in the blink of an eye" a dwarf states. I notice Bilbo begin to look pale.

"You alright, laddie?" Balin asks him.

"I feel faint" Bilbo mutters.

"Deep breathes" I tell him.

"Think furnace, with wings" the same dwarf from before states. I give him a pointed look. So not helping. "Flash of light, searing pain, then poof! You're nothing more than a pile of ash" he explains ignoring my glare.

"No" Bilbo says fainting and I catch.

"Oh, very helpful, Bofur" Gandalf grumbles.

"You two, help him to the arm chair" I tell two dwarves. They do so and I make a cup of tea for Bilbo. He soon comes to and I give him the tea. "Are you ok Bilbo?" I ask.

"I'll be alright. Just let me sit quietly for a moment" he assures me.

"You've been sitting quietly for far too long. Tell me, when did doilies and your mother's dishes become so important to you? I remember a young hobbit who was always running off in search of Elves, in the woods with his sister. They'd stay out late, come home, after dark, trailing mud and twigs and fireflies. The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there" Gandalf tells him.

"I agree with him" I tell Bilbo.

"I can't just go running off into the blue! I am a Baggins, of Bag End! So are you Ariana" Bilbo states.

"You're also a Took" I remind him. "Great, great, great something uncle Bullroarer Took, was so large he could ride a real horse" I add.

"In the battle of Greenfields, he charged the goblin ranks he swung his club so hard. It knocked the goblin king's head clean off, and it sailed a hundred yards through the air, and went down a rabbit hole. And thus the battle as won, and the game of golf invented at the same time" Gandalf states.

"I do believe you made that up" Bilbo states.

"Maybe, but he could ride a real horse" I tell him.

"Well, all good stories deserve embellishment. You both will have a tale or two to tell of your own when you both come back" Gandalf tells him.

"Can you promise that we will come back?" Bilbo asks him.

"No. And if you both do, you'll not be the same" Gandalf tells us.

"That's what I thought" Bilbo states as he rises to his feet. "Sorry, Gandalf, I can't sign this. You've got the wrong hobbit" he states. He leaves the room and I follow him.

"Bilbo I don't want to go on this adventure alone. You always said one day we'd leave the Shire together for a real adventure. Now we are invited on one and you want to stay here" I whine.

"It'll be dangerous" he tells me.

"Any adventure worth going on is dangerous" I tell him. "Just think about it" I tell him. "Good night" I say and go to the living room. "You all may stay the night, Bilbo and I will decide tomorrow morning our choice. If you leave before he wakes, we'll catch up" I tell the others. "Goodnight" I add before going to my room.

A/N

Picture above of Thorin and picture on the external link of the contract.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

68.8K 2.1K 41
Before the dragon, Smaug, took Erabor, the dwarves found something far more dangerous... Skyrena was raised in Mirkwood, never realizing that she was...
179K 5.4K 38
Enmira is a half elven skin changer, that went through a lot in her early years. After an encounter with Gandalf, she sees the company that she needs...
23.9K 463 25
What happens when Bilbo doesn't go on the quest to reclaim Erebor? His sister does. Join Bella Baggins as she helps reclaim Erebor from the dragon Sm...
9.6K 280 30
Banished, beaten and left for dead, Ashryn is found by a gentle hobbit by the name of Bilbo Baggins. Bilbo brings her back to his hobbit hole and nur...