When Lemon Meets Smoke

By sammyforprez

Adelaide Elizabeth Tanelter in three words is clever, loyal, and intriguing. A pureblood witch that rejected... More

characters
synopsis
playlist
polaroids
prologue
wearing her down
putty in her hands
without you, we are lost
flufflepuff
oblivious
levicorpus
amortentia
flirtatious wins
party animals
the first step
libraries and brothers
lunar gossip
blonde importance
monsters don't fold socks
killer queen
angels and veritaserum
birthdays and backstories
leather, lockets, and love oh my
drunk in love
broom cupboards
polaroids part two
confessions and god complexes
elephant in a room of lions
code turquoise
sniffles and sketchbooks
dog dates
brotherly advice of sorts
mistakes have been made
hurt hearts and faces
prove it
a boat load of plans
the boys
the girls
photos for mum
in love with somebody else
returning home
peter gets girls and sirius gets greenhouses
disco ball for your body
atta boy moony
no longer unspoken
welcoming 1977
morgue snackers
the one that deserved better
the power of a word
mend the unchangeable
letters from home, well sort of
the end-all
the promise of a friend
water is thicker than blood

dates secured

9.2K 270 233
By sammyforprez

December 15th, 1976

-Marlene-

"Marls, you can do it."

"Don't be a wuss."

"Just ask her when she gets here."

Lily, Adelaide, and Mary were in the midst of hyping Marlene up to go secure herself a date for the ball. 

"Okay but what if she says no?" Marlene hissed at her friends while continuing to scan the Great Hall for a head of dark brown curls.

"Then you ask Bell, she's always shown an interest in you," Adelaide replied with a wink.

"But don't worry about that, she won't say no," Lily replied with a small warning glare to Adelaide.

"Well now is your chance to find out," Mary spoke up. "Maybe not... looks like Cerleny got to her first."

The four girls all looked over to see the smiling face of Dorcas Meadowes practically skipping into the Great Hall only to be stopped by a Hufflepuff boy that seemed quite nervous to be speaking to her.

"You have got to be kidding me," Marlene groaned as she watched Dorcas smile and hug the boy. 

Adelaide and Lily exchanged worried glances as Marlene began to hit her head on the table. 

"What is going on?" James whispered to Adelaide as he, along with the other three boys, slid into their respective seats. 

"Why is McKinnon hitting her head on the table?" Sirius piped up as he shot the obviously irritated girl a weary look.

"Did you do anything new to piss her off?" Peter asked with a raised eyebrow towards his friend.

Sirius shook his head, "No... not that I am aware of..." He met Adelaide's eyes, "I didn't do anything right?" 

The blonde chuckled lightly, "For once, her frustration isn't with you... you've been quite well behaved." Sirius smiled slightly at her words.

"Still an arse... an arse with stupid hair..." Marlene mumbled as she continued with her self-inflicted pain, while James and Peter snickered at her words. 

Remus took off the jumper he was wearing over his white button-up. Balling it up, the werewolf then placed it under Marlene's head to soften the consistent blows to her forehead as she was still banging her head against the wood. 

"She's just a bit... uh..." Mary looked at the other two girls in hope of the proper word to use.

"Agitated?" 

"Annoyed?"

"Crabby?"

Lily, Adelaide, and James all replied in synch. 

Marlene snapped her head up and glared at the bespectacled boy, "I. Am. Not. Crabby."

Potter only smirked, "I got you to stop abusing the table though, didn't I?"

The brunette was about to spit out a comeback when her name was called.

"Marlene!"

The whole group turned to look at the approaching Meadowes girl who had a bright smile on her face. 

"Hey!" Marlene replied as she shot the entire group a warning message to not speak of her previous behavior to which they all silently agreed.

Dorcas slid into the seat to Marlene's left and began talking at a quick pace."I found a dress I really liked, it's light blue but it does have some other colors on it... it's very pretty... anyways. I was wondering if blue will match with your outfit for the ball or if it will clash. I can always make the dress another color if you don't want to match it with blue... the dress would look nice in yellow I think-"

Marlene just blinked in confusion at the girl, "Wait... matching?"

"Yes, matching... unless you don't want to match... oh no. You don't want to match? I shouldn't have assumed that just because we are going together we would-"

"Going together?"

The rest of the group tried to contain their laughter from looking at the brunette witch's face.

Dorcas was the one with a confused face now as she stared at the Scottish witch. Suddenly her face morphed into a look of shock. "Oh my! I'm such ditz! I forgot to ask! I knew I had forgotten something but I just assumed it was homework... way to go Dorc... idiot." The curly-headed girl then smiled meekly, "Marlene, will you go to the ball with me?"

Marlene nodded quickly as a massive smile took over her face and pulled her friend into a tight embrace. The rest of the group cheered.

"Say Lily-Flower... do you by any chance have a date to the ball?" James asked as he sent an innocent smile towards the redhead across from him.

Lily looked at him for a minute before grabbing her things and standing up causing James's smile to fall.

"My dress is light pink and if you are in the common room ready by six, looking nice, I will accompany you to the ball," Lily replied quickly before turning to Adelaide, "Join me in the library?"

Adelaide, who was practically beaming, nodded and stood up. After placing a quick kiss on top of the shell-shocked boy's head with a quiet "Atta boy Jamie"  and a quick goodbye to the others she followed her red-haired friend out of the Great Hall.

James, along with the rest of the group, just sat in silence, completely amazed. 

"D-Did she say yes?"

Sirius was the first to break out of the trance, "HELL YEAH SHE DID PRONGS! THAT'S MY BOY!"

The rest of the group broke out in another round of cheers as James's smile was so big one might worry that his face was in pain. The messy-haired boy then stood up on the table and cleared his throat loudly.

"ATTENTION BELOVED CLASSMATES AND SLYTHERINS. I WOULD LIKE TO ANNOUNCE THAT AFTER FIVE AND A HALF YEARS, THE LILY EVANS HAS AGREED TO ONE OF MY PROPOSITIONS! I, JAMES FLEAMONT POTTER, GET THE PLEASURE OF HAVING LILY JADE EVANS AS MY DATE TO THE YULE BALL!"

The entire hall burst into loud applause, Sirius, Remus, and Peter being the loudest, the beaming boy soaked it all up. 

Mary and Dorcas laughed along while Marlene swore she saw Dumbledore and McGonagall collect a few galleons from Flitwick and Sprout.

"I guess miracles do happen..." Remus chuckled as James returned to his seat. 

"Everything is falling into place perfectly... the only missing piece is Whiskers and Padfoot here," James mused as he wrapped his arm around the Black.

Mary and Marlene shot one another a look as if having a silent discussion on if they should share their information with the boys. They didn't have to decide because suddenly Dorcas was talking.

"Even though Adelaide is attending the ball with Fabian, I know she would love to dance with you Sirius, don't lose hope."

Sirius swallowed hard, "Ah yes... the Prewett. Heard something about that."

Dorcas smiled sweetly, "She's wearing silver by the way... in case you were wondering."

"I was, thank you."

"Of course, wouldn't want you to clash with her."

hello, besties! how are you?

i'm sorry for the long wait but it was finals week!

70k reads and 2k likes... i am speechless.

thank you so much!

this chapter's recommendation is

actually a george weasley fic but I ADORE it.

Junoesque  - George Wesley by LuLuOnFire.

it is incredible!

i also made a new reading list of my current reads

and my recommended must-reads if you want to check it out!

see you again soon.

xxx

-sammy

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12K 625 21
He placed his hands on either side, pinning her to the wall. "It's you, isn't it?" She gulped, "I'm not sure what you mean." He threw his head back a...
1.3M 55.5K 158
COMPLETED "I despise you, Sirius Black." "No, no you don't."...
564K 15.6K 76
Freya loves Sirius Black, but is too scared to tell him. * * * * Can I just love you in my heart, love you in my mind? Or do I have to find the gut...
1.4M 47.5K 61
BOOK #1 Serendipity (n) finding something good without looking for it - Marauders Era Fanfiction - Eva Taylor. Sixth year. First female keeper for t...