oblivious

September 30th, 1976

-Adelaide-

After the team was dismissed, James and Sirius went out to find the other two male marauders while Adelaide hurried off to the library, where she had agreed to meet Marlene after practice to study for divination.

"Sorry I'm late, James held me a bit longer to discuss strategy."  She huffed as she plopped herself down at the table her brunette friend had acquired for them.

"No worries, I have just been going over today's assignment, would you mind grabbing a copy of 'The Deam Oracle', I forgot mine back in the dorm," Marlene replied with a small chuckle.

"Yes, of course, I'll be right back."  Adelaide headed towards the shelf marked 'Divination' in search of her friend's desired book. Right as she grabbed the book and was about to head back to Marlene she was stopped.

"Adie?"  A deep-voiced softly called out behind her.

Adelaide turned to be met with a pair of somewhat familiar pair of grey eyes, "Reggie."

In front of her stood the Slytherin prodigy himself, Regulus Black. He might be younger but the Black towered over her just like his older brother. Even with his rocky relationship with Sirius, Regulus has always been very kind to the Gryffindor girl. He admired her brains and her ability to control his brother and his friends with a single bat of her eyelashes. He, like the rest of the school, was well aware of his brother's feelings for Adelaide, even if she was oblivious to them. That didn't stop him from developing a slight attraction to her, she was stunning, anyone with eyes would agree, she had a soft look but a powerful presence. No one could ever consider her meek, he admired that.

Adelaide herself has always had a soft spot for Regulus, to Sirius's dismay, though she could never exactly explain why. Maybe it was the way she understood why he was who he is.

"I haven't seen you since the end of last year, how have you been?" The Slytherin asked politely, though he genuinely did want to know.

"I've been good, quidditch has been crazy but I'm sure I don't need to tell you that Mr. Seeker." she chuckled.

"Ah yes, I bet preparing to lose can be quite tiring huh, Miss Chaser?" Regulus replied with the corners of his mouth turning up to form the signature Black smirk.

"I don't know Reggie, you tell me," Adelaide smirked back causing them both to laugh.

"So, I heard you've been quite sought out for this ball coming up. Everyone's gotten a bit crazy," The Black heir joked.

"Oh don't get me started, these bloody gits don't understand the concept of timing. That right before lessons, when I'm clearly behind schedule, is not the time nor place." Adelaide shook her head chuckling at the stupidity of her classmates. "Don't get me wrong, some have asked in quite pleasant ways but I have not agreed to go with anyone yet."

"To be honest, I would have assumed you'd be going with my brother," Regulus stated, knowing the only reason she is even entertaining the idea of anyone else being her date is due to his brother's inability to ask her himself.

His bluntness startled her a bit and though she should have expected it, his words caused her face to redden but quickly covered it up with a forced laugh. "No, I'm sure he would much rather go with one of the girls from his fan club, they have more to offer him than just a few dances between friends if you know what I mean."  She smiled at him, "Well I should get back to Marlene, it was great to see you, Reggie, I"ll see you on the pitch, don't be a stranger."

"Goodbye Adelaide," He reached over and pushed a piece of loose hair behind her ear. "I promise to not rub it in when my house wins in a few weeks."

With that she turned away, laughing at his rebuttal as she walked back to her friend that had been patiently waiting for her return.

"My brother is a fool..." Regulus muttered to himself as he watched her rejoin her friend before exiting the library to head back to his common room.

Marlene had spent the past few minutes curiously watching the interaction between the lion and the snake and couldn't help but think two things. 

One; how her friend could be so oblivious to the fact that the Black boys are completely captivated by her.

Two; is Sirius aware of his younger brother's attraction towards the girl he loves.

"Sorry that took so long, I was just catching up with Regulus," Adelaide stated as she handed her friend the book and sat down across the table.

"Adie, for such a smart person, you can be so dense sometimes. It boggles my mind." Marlene said shaking her head in amusement at the girl's ignorance.

"What are you on about, Marls?" she quizzed.

"You can sniff out a boy that likes you from a mile away with the simple exception of our dear Black brothers. Sirius looks at you as if you put the stars in the sky and Regulus worships the ground you walk on. How you don't see it is beyond me. It is truly amazing."

"You've lost it now, the Black brothers do not see me like that," Adelaide replied groaning at the brunette's comment.

"Maybe but I know for a fact that at least one fancies you," Marlene states as she copies down notes on crystal balls.

But probably not the one I want.

Adelaide sighs and lays her head down against her arms while she let her brain fill with thoughts of a certain Gryffindor boy with piercing grey eyes.

*I am making Regulus a fifth year to better accommodate my story, I hope no one minds.*