prove it

December 2nd, 1976

-Adelaide-

Adelaide had spent the night in the room of requirements with Peter and Remus. Unknown to her, two different Gryffindor boys had spent hours trying to get into the room only to accept defeat and retreat to the common room where they still sat, waiting for her return.

"We should head back Ads, you're going to have to face him eventually," Peter said to Adelaide, who was still a cat curled against his chest.

The white cat climbed to the floor and turned back into human form, "I know. Let's just go before I change my mind."

Remus looked at one another then back to her and nodded their heads.

The trio made their way back to the common room in silence. Upon reaching the portrait both boys grabbed one of her hands in an attempt to comfort her.

"Thank you for staying with me last night, it couldn't have been comfortable," Adelaide whispered.

Peter squeezed her hand, "Anything for you."

"Don't thank us for being there for you, there is no need, we always will be," Remus replied at the same time and placed a kiss on her hairline.

"We should go in huh?" The witch said with an airy laugh that sounded as if it caused her pain.

"Yeah..." the two boys replied in sync.

With that, Adelaide took a deep breath and Remus muttered out the password. The three walked in to see the whole room was empty besides two boys that were staring back at them. She felt her heart crack once more at the sight of her boys.

It was clear that neither had slept, both radiated concern and pain. Remus had explained everything that happened to the witch so she wasn't sure who to look at first. She decided that James would hurt less but the minute she allowed their eyes to meet, hers began to well up with tears. The Potter boy jumped up from his seat on the sofa and made his way to her with haste. He immediately embraced her and the two began crying.

"Why don't you trust me?"

James squeezed his eyes closed and tried to refrain from breaking down at her broken words. "I do trust you. I do, I was just stupid. I am so sorry Whiskers. I am so so sorry. You're my sister. I love you and I trust you, I was so stupid. There is nothing to excuse my actions."

Adelaide sniffled, "I forgive you."

"You shouldn't. Ads please just be angry with me. Please. I deserve it."

"I don't have it in me to be mad at you. I forgive you but I am still hurt, this isn't something I can just forget about. I trust you yet you didn't trust me. You chose to ignore everything you know about me and act out of anger. You are my brother and I love you but you hurt me." Adelaide spoke slowly to prevent her voice from quivering. She had to be strong, she wasn't going to break down.

James nodded his head in understatement. His heart felt heavy, he would have preferred her to yell at him than to say she was disappointed in him. He hated this feeling but knew he deserved so much worse. He placed a kiss on her head and pulled away from her.

Sirius stood up and made his way towards her only for Remus to step in front of the blonde witch, staring at him threateningly. The Black gave his friend a pained look and tried to look around him so he could see her face, "Can we please go somewhere to talk, mon cœur?"

The Lupin boy didn't move.

"Rem," Adelaide whispered.

Remus looked over his shoulder at her and sighed in defeat, "The second you need me, you call. I'll be up."