Dark Moon | Klaus Mikaelson

By SprintingFox

Trapped for a thousand years in a coffin, only to be awoken by the brother of the person she'd been hidden fr... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Final Author's Note

Chapter 40

7.3K 209 100
By SprintingFox

Esmeray and Hayley were left alone again.

Rebekah had gone to talk to Marcel so that she could retrieve Elijah, and Klaus had run off for another errand, leaving the vampire bodies burning and the living one in the basement, being drained of blood.

"How about we do our first check up?" asked Esmeray when Hayley went to lay on her bed. "I'm not actually trained medically, so this magic is really only going to let me understand the baby's vitals without any terminology... but I will be able to know if the baby is okay or not."

Hayley nodded, pulling up her shirt for Esmeray. The hybrid let her hands glide over the surface and concentrated before whispering a few words, emitting a blue light that hovered over Hayley's belly. There was the sound of a rapid, echoing heartbeat, and Esmeray smiled. "Perfectly healthy," she said. "The baby's heart is as strong as it needs to be, for a little tribrid. It's comfortable and doesn't appear to be at any risk."

"Thank you," said Hayley, giving her a curious look as she stepped away. "How is it that you can like someone like Klaus? You two are so different."

Esmeray smiled. "We really aren't. He's... difficult. But under that violent exterior is a passionate artist who just wants to keep his family safe. He's not good at showing affection, but he feels it."

"You said that in real time, you're only five years apart. Do you think you two would have been together if you met earlier?"

"Maybe. My father respected Klaus's father quite a bit. He would have liked the alliance that would come from that, if he wasn't so focused on keeping our lines pure. I imagine Klaus wouldn't have noticed me in the slightest if we actually lived in the same village. The girl he was with at the time was far closer to his age than I was. I expect he might have seen me as immature. But otherwise... I do think that we probably could have been a power couple put together for the sake of our Packs."

"Do you think you two will be together in the future? If I am... keeping this kid... I'd rather he has someone who's going to make sure he treats it right. I can only do so much as the mother when I'm not also his partner."

"Listen, I think Klaus can be a perfectly good father without needing my help. He would never treat that kid the way his father— well, stepfather— treated him. Don't worry about that. Will he make questionable parenting decisions? Definitely. I can be there to advise for that."

Hayley was stuck thinking of potential 'questionable parenting decisions' after Esmeray left the room. Even when the two women heard Klaus return, they were wondering along the same lines: how would he really react once the baby was born?

"Good morning," said Esmeray when daylight arrived and she was making breakfast for herself and Hayley. "You're up early."

"I never went to bed, love," said Klaus, coming to lean on the counter. "I had to put several things and people in line."

"As long as you're not bringing Marcel crashing through these doors, I think it should be fine."

"Speaking of Marcel, I think it's time you meet him."

"What? But he sent vampires to kill me, Klaus. If he knows I'm helping you—"

"He'll think twice before crossing us all, won't he? He'll regret what he did. He could have benefitted from having one of the hybrids on his side. I'll let you point out which vampires were at the Bayou that day and perhaps, you can knock them around a bit to give Marcel a taste of your power."

Esmeray didn't get to reply, because Rebekah burst through the front door, looking livid. "You were right," she said as soon as she saw Klaus. "The girl, Cami— she's the key. Marcel likes her, and because of that I got to see the secret weapon of his that you've been going on about."

Klaus raised his eyebrows. "Well, don't stand on ceremony. What is it?"

"It's not a 'what,' it's a 'who.' A girl, Davina. She can't be more than sixteen. I haven't felt power like that since Esmeray."

The werewitch stared at her in disbelief. "What does that mean? She's a witch?"

"Not just any witch," said Rebekah. "She's something beyond powerful. Her magic feels nearly as strong as yours, Esme, but much more controlled. She didn't even need to move her hands to best me." She turned to her brother. "And now, because of you, she has Elijah. Who knows what she could do to him?"

"Well, where is she?" demanded Klaus.

Rebekah stopped to think, but did not give an answer. "That clever bitch," she whispered. "I don't know. She wiped my memory of the location. Marcel possesses a weapon bigger and more powerful than an Original, and you handed our brother to him! How many times will Elijah forgive you? How long until his hope for your redemption finally dies?"

"I did what I had to do!" snapped Klaus. "Marcel took our home!"

"And our home is worthless without family. I am finding Elijah— whatever it takes. Are you going to help me?"

Klaus heaved a sigh. "Whatever it takes."

Rebekah, satisfied with this, moved to the window to look at the burned vampire corpses that she hadn't paid attention to when she first arrived. "I cannot believe you disposed of those vampires without me. You know how I love to set things on fire!"

Klaus smirked. "Was I supposed to leave them in the front yard to rot? Besides, they were my responsibility. They attacked the helpless pregnant girl who's carrying my child!"

Esmeray and Rebekah shared a look before laughing. "Oh, I am so moved by your new-found sense of fatherly duties towards the werewolf carrying your hybrid bun in her oven," the Original told her brother.

They turned to see Hayley joining them in the foyer. "The werewolf would like to know what the plan is."

"Well, that depends what plan you mean, love," said Klaus. "My plan for global domination, Esmeray's plan to rule all the wolves, or Rebekah's plan to find love in a cruel, cruel world?"

Rebekah rolled her eyes and snatched up a pencil from a nearby desk, throwing it in Klaus's direction. He caught it before it could pierce him in the eye, and tossed it back at his sister.

"The plan to rescue Elijah," Hayley sighed in frustration. "You know, the good brother? The one who is now in the possession of your mortal enemy after you stabbed him in the back?"

"In the front, if we're being specific," Klaus said innocently.

"Klaus," Esmeray chided. "She's right, we need to go over how the hell we're going to get him away from Hurricane Davina."

"Oh, are we using weather to classify our enemies?" asked Klaus. "In that case, Hurricane Davina is at a Category Three, while you, Hurricane Esmeray, are a Category Four." He then decided to take the situation seriously. "Firstly, Marcel is not my mortal enemy— he's my friend. Albeit one who is unaware that I'm trying to sabotage his hold over the supernatural community of the French Quarter, but a friend nonetheless. And secondly, I daggered Elijah in order to gain Marcel's trust. If I had known he would place my brother in the hands of a particularly nasty teenage witch, I certainly would have weighed my options a bit differently. And thirdly—" he gestured to Rebekah. "Sister, please."

"And thirdly," continued Rebekah, "the plan, as you have demanded, is for Niklaus to simply ask Marcel for Elijah back."

Hayley stared at him incredulously. "That's... that's not the whole plan, is it?"

Rebekah scoffed. "Please! Klaus may be a miserable excuse for a sibling, but there is none more diabolical."

"That's only the Plan A, love," said Klaus. "There's always a Plan B."

"And what's Plan B?"

"That's a teeny little pill that—"

"Klaus!" Esmeray said.

Klaus smirked up at her. "War." He paused dramatically before clapping his hands together. "Esmeray, love, you're going to come with me to ask Marcel for Elijah back. Now that we know that his weapon is a girl whose strength cannot even match yours, he ought to know we have a similar weapon. It will force him to rethink using a younger, inexperienced witch compared to one who's practiced high levels of magic since she could walk. We'll not explicitly mention your little problem with controlling your temper— we'll let him see for himself. You'll be meeting his pal, Thierry. Do anything you want as long as you don't permanently kill him. Make it brutal. I'll sweep in and restrain you to show that I can keep you at bay, and he will be inclined to give Elijah back to avoid any instances of me letting you loose in the Quarter. Marcel will think twice about crossing any of us"

Esmeray wasn't all that chuffed about having to hold back her anger, but she decided she would go with it. She got dressed and had a quick meal before following Klaus out to the car and all the way to the Abattoir, which was otherwise known as the Mikaelson Compound. Klaus offered her his hand when he opened the door for her to get out, and as soon as she took it, he whisked her inside, to the hallway nearest the room where Marcel usually resided in.

"That makes ten dead nightwalkers in the last week," they heard Marcel saying. "You think the werewolves are back in town trying to start some trouble?"

"Look," came Thierry's voice, making Esmeray tense. Subconsciously, she grabbed Klaus's hand, squeezing it tightly. "I know you and Klaus are friends, but the fact is, since the Originals showed up—"

"Oh, come now, Thierry," said Klaus as he moved through the doorway. "You're not still upset about that little, toxic werewolf bite I gave you, are you? I thought we were at bygones."

Thierry tensed visibly at the sight of Esmeray before turning to Marcel. "I see you've given him free rein of your compound now, too."

"Yes, well," said Klaus, "seeing as my family and I lived here— built the place, in fact—"

"All right," said Marcel sharply as Thierry and Klaus glared daggers at each other. "Come on. You both know the drill. Thierry's my guy, inner circle. Klaus is my old-time friend and sire. He's also a guest here. Peace, all right? All right." He looked at Klaus. "What you need, my brother? Who's the girl?"

Klaus smirked and put his hands on Esmeray's shoulders. "This, Marcel, is my very good friend Esmeray Poldark. We've known each other indirectly for awhile. Since... a thousand years ago."

Marcel definitely had an 'oh crap' face on. Obviously, he hadn't done his research well enough to know details about Esmeray's life. "Marcel Gerard," he said, extending his hand to her and trying to be polite.

She didn't take it, her gaze fixated on Thierry. She was trembling without meaning to, and the instant she felt Klaus's hold loosen, she raised her hands and sent Thierry through the wall, leaving a gaping hole in it as she magically pinned him to the ground, making him yell and swipe at his own arms as if he was feeling bugs crawling over them.

"Love," said Klaus, yanking her arms down and stopping the magic. He looked up at Marcel. "It would seem Thierry was the ringleader of a group of vampires that went to attack my girl and her friend in the Bayou. It ended in the murder of her friend. Forgive her if she seems... violent."

Marcel was trying to digest all this news at once. Fuck. Klaus knew the other hybrid. Klaus apparently had a thing with her. He, Marcel, had made a very bad first impression. And with her anger and magic combined, she was more lethal than Davina.

"I'm afraid my sister Rebekah is insisting I demand Elijah's return," continued Klaus, not letting Esmeray go, but changing his hold in a way that left his arms wrapped over her front, bringing her back into his chest so that she could feel some slight comfort. It was obvious that he was telling Marcel, 'she's mine,' as he continued to speak. "She's quite worked up about it."

"We're not gonna have three Originals walking around town, are we?" asked Thierry, standing a bit behind Marcel. "Half our guys think the sister killed the nightwalkers." He then glared at Esmeray. "Or maybe, it was you."

Klaus instantly let go of Esmeray and stormed toward Thierry. "Is that an accusation—?"

Marcel got between them before the confrontation could become violent. "What did I say about peace?" he demanded. He turned to Klaus. "Come on. Walk with me."

Klaus smiled fakely and put his arm around Esmeray. "Why don't you go get yourself something nice, and we'll meet later?"

Esmeray gave Marcel a wry grin. "Tell your vampires to leave me the hell alone, and I won't leave them dead on your doorstep," she said, tiptoeing to kiss Klaus's cheek before she used her wolf speed to leave the house.

She didn't go into town. She went straight back to the other house, cursing angrily as she moved through the front door and headed straight for the basement where she found that a young vampire, Josh, was awkwardly sticking a pitchfork into the hostage, Max, to drain him of vervain.

"Give me that," she said, snatching it from Josh.

"Klaus said I had to do it," said the boy, thinking he'd be punished.

"And I'm telling you to take a break and go upstairs and get something to eat because I need to be alone."

Josh, surprisingly, listened. She wouldn't doubt that Klaus probably compelled him to do whatever she said, too. She grabbed the pitchfork and started shoving it aggressively into the other vampire's abdomen, leaving blood pouring onto the floor.

"Stupid— vampires—" she snarled as more blood leaked out. "Think— they can mistreat— wolves— like we're nothing— fucking— stupid!"

"You're going to disembowel him, love."

She turned to see Klaus just as she impaled the pitchfork completely into the vampire. She let go of it and huffed, crossing her arms as she continued to breathe heavily from how angry she was. Klaus gestured around at the basement to reveal that without realizing it, she'd created several cracks in the walls.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled. "I would have rather killed Thierry."

"You will see him dead soon enough, love," promised Klaus as he came closer to her. He offered her his hand, but she didn't take it.

"What's the deal with Marcel?" she demanded. "Is he giving Elijah back to you, or not?"

"Of course not. I have already informed Rebekah, and she is with Sophie Deveraux as we speak." He gestured back to the vampire. "Drained him yet?"

"I would expect so. He's lost a lot of blood. But I can do a Mind Spell to make sure that he's ready to comply. He'll be dead soon anyway, I assume?"

Klaus nodded. "He'll likely become collateral damage."

Esmeray went to stand behind the vampire, letting her hands hover on either side of his head. The vampire was unconscious at the moment, but she spoke in another language, and his eyes snapped open, looking at Klaus, his pupils dilating and constricting a few times in a sequence before Esmeray nodded. "He's ready to be compelled. The vervain is out."

"Excellent," said Klaus. He was about to come forward to give instructions, but his phone rang. "Well?" he asked his sister from the other line.

"You were right about the traitor," said Rebekah. "Luckily, she's just a kid and she doesn't know anything about us and what we're up to. Do you want to hear the part that's gonna please you the most?"

"Oh, do tell!"

"She's in love with someone in Marcel's inner circle. Guess who it is?"

"Right-hand-man type, favors silly caps?"

"Two points for you. Thierry is fraternizing with the enemy."

Klaus looked over the vampire's face. "Well, that means he just unwittingly became the key to our entire plan."

"I told you you'd be pleased," said Rebekah happily."

Klaus smirked. "Oh, to be young and in love in a city where witches and vampires are at war. How very tragic." He hung up. "It seems we found the witch who told Thiery about where you and Anya were. She'll be dead by tonight. Thierry, well, that might take a bit longer."

"Do whatever you have to do," said Esmeray, shaking her head as she moved away from the vampire. "I just want them both gone as soon as possible."

Klaus let his hand brush against hers as she moved upstairs. "And you shall have it, love."

_

"So, what's the plan?"

It was evening now, and Esmeray was in Klaus's room while he got ready for an apparent party Marcel was throwing.

"I've already compelled the other vampire to go and make a mess of things when the nightwalkers do their rousting of the witches," said the hybrid, adjusting the cuffs on his all-black suit. "Rebekah spoke to Sophie Deveraux, who believes you should be able to safely practice magic within the Quarter without being caught. Your power is ancient and stronger than Davina's, and without practicing Ancestral magic, it's unlikely she will recognize it— however it is that she does it."

"And you're sure you don't want me to come with you?" asked Esmeray worriedly as she got up and fixed the alignment of his jacket. "Or is it unwise to shove me back in Marcel's line of sight after what happened earlier? Which, I wonder... did that work the way you wanted it to?"

"I simply think that Rebekah and I need to walk into that lion's den on our own," said Klaus. "As for earlier... it worked perfectly. Marcel regrets his actions towards you, and is aware of the power we hold. The vampires won't be bothering you, love. I made him believe that you can be a shared asset if we align our power. He was appealed by a sneaky little idea of you teaching Davina some magic."

"Smart," she said, nodding in appreciation. She stepped back and wrung her hands together. "I'm just worried, Klaus. What if something happens and I'm not there?"

He turned to face her. "Are you really that worried about me, love?"

"How couldn't I be? You may be an Original, but Davina could still best you, if Marcel shoves her in front of you. Let me put a spell on you or something so that if anyone uses their magic against you, I'll sense it."

"Not to worry," he promised, coming to stand behind her and beginning to massage her shoulders, which made her tense a bit before she relaxed, closing her eyes. "Anything else you'd like to discuss to alleviate all this stress?"

"You said... 'vampires that went to attack my girl and her friend,' earlier. You called me your girl."

"I apologize if that was inappropriate."

"It wasn't. I just didn't think you'd be so open to what we were... starting before... considering what I said to you."

"You made it clear that you still wish to pursue a relationship. Is this true, my little werewitch?"

She blushed. "Well, yes. I just don't know if it's a good idea to start something right now, when you're dealing with Hayley and the baby."

"Why?" he asked, turning her to face him. "I can carry three major responsibilities at once. We have delayed this several times, love. I want to be with you. If you wish to be with me in the same way, then..."

"I want to, Klaus, I really, really do. I'm just worried about bringing another tribrid baby into the world..."

"We needn't get intimate if you don't wish us to. No reason to put a rush on it." He drew a deep breath. "However, I do expect that you have three days or less before we're both left unable to keep our hands to ourselves."

Esmeray groaned, knowing that meant she was going into heat soon. "I still hate how you can predict that, but I can't." She then bit her lip, tilting her head up to look at him. "Are you sure you want this, Klaus? Are you sure that this is a good idea?"

"I think it's a brilliant idea, love." He brushed some hair away from her face. "But I will not push it if you remain uncertain."

"How about this," she suggested, putting her hands on his chest. "From here until the baby is born... we'll be more in a 'dating' phase. No major intimacy. As much respect as possible. Testing the waters and seeing how we feel about it. If, after the baby is born, you really think you want this to become something serious... if you want me to be a bigger part of your child's life... then we'll make it official. Deal?"

"Deal." He said, dipping down to kiss her forehead. "That seals it."

"Don't be ridiculous," she chided. "Kiss me properly." She grabbed the collar of his shirt and pulled him to her level before pressing her lips against his.

Klaus would have forgotten about Marcel's party entirely if Rebekah hadn't come barging in after several minutes of the two hybrids doing their best to kiss without taking their clothes off.

"Oh, bloody fucking hell," said Rebekah, covering her eyes as if they were being indecent. "Nik, we've got to get going."

The hybrid had a very satisfied look on his face as he pulled away from the werewitch and winked, bowing his head to her before following his sister out the door. Esmeray remained in the room, face flushed and bearing a giddy smile as she leaned back against the wall and giggled to herself.

That had been worth the wait.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

245K 6.8K 53
"I'm done ignoring how I feel about you.". "And what is that?" "I love you." --- Book 1 TVD seasons 2-4 Finished Jan. 2023 Disclaimer I don't own The...
666K 17.5K 97
She was their protector, because they were all she had. She returned to Mystic Falls solely to help them, and had every intention of leaving afterwar...
33.2K 643 49
"I'm glad you came, Alex. Like it or not, when one refers to the Mikaelsons, they're referring to you, as well. Tonight will allow you to make up you...
88.7K 2.6K 44
𝐋𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐨𝐫𝐚 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐞, A girl turned weapon, obtaining an insatiable desire of knowledge. Desperate to hold the worlds secrets in the palm of...