Nightfire Warriors - A Space...

By xzachly

What if American Idol did a competition for best Superhero? Everybody wants to be the best, have their name i... More

Hello.
1. Of Course It's Gonna Try To Kill You
2. The "Superhero" Factor (The Audition)
3. Flaccid Penis
4. Bad Reputation
5. Graduation Party
6. Lack of Confidence
7. Why Can't We Be Friends?
8. The Start Of Something New
9. Kidnapped and Abducted
10. David and Goliath
11. I'll Make You Proud
12. Kendall's House
13. Simulator Chair
14. Kendall Chooses
15. Nightfire's Got Talent
16. A New Warrior
17. First Mission
18. Wine is Disgusting
19. Eight Ball
20. A Fair Warning
21. First Cut
22. The Perks Of Being A WallFlower
23. The Face Of Nightfire
24. Living Conditions
25. Weasels and Chicken Legs
26. So Lost Without You
27. Palmer's Tale
28. Sanctum
29. The Megaminds
30. Team Captain
31. How To Load A Gun
32. Capture The Flag
33. Defeat
34. A Stupid Narcissist
35. Wake Up Call
36. The Battle Begins
37. Search and Destroy
39. Waiting For Joffrey
40. A Personal Vacation
41. The New Jim Crow
42. A'Dimsyte
43. Love Has No Pride
44. Captured and Tortured
45. The Cluster's Kingdom - Part 1
46. The Cluster's Kingdom - Part 2
47. Sleuthing With The Enemy
48. Remember Me When You're Famous
49. Chandler Party
50. Ryan and Lily's Father
51. Goodbye Old Friend
52. The Bargain
53. Meeting Ryan
54. Number Two Tries Harder
55. Revenge
56. Traumatizing
57. The Exchurch
58. Not A Problem Then, Problem Now
59. Everybody Has A Weakness
60. This Is Meant For You
61. Santa and Stoned
62. Feeling Infinite
63. I Will Try To Fix You
64. Goodbye Old Enemy
65. New Years Kiss
66. The Final Three
67. Kill As Many As You Can
68. The Battle Royale
69. Man Down
70. Like Father Like Son
71. A Way To Earth Somehow
72. Teamwork
73. The Orichalcum
74. Nightfire Warriors
75. This Is Bad
76. Traitors
77. Race
78. Legendary
Epilogue: We Can Be Heroes

38. Imaginary Enemies

14 1 0
By xzachly

"How insane is this guy? He has the first genetic ability that can kill the Cluster!"

"Don't sound like he's invincible, Jace. Kor will break him like a toothpick." A sigh of worry. "He fought so good out there."

"No kidding! I think most of us would be dead if it weren't for him."

"Jace, be real. It was Ryan who saved the day. My brother had to save your butt on occasion."

"I think JT and I did a good job, too."

"Nah," the musical voice mocks. "You were just backup."

"Good one, Lily."

Seeing black, I can hear voices. The moment I hear Lily's name, I reply, "Guess that makes me backup then, too."

The voices I hear say each other's names, but they didn't have to for me to figure out who they were. I recognize them anywhere. My eyes open, and they're looking down at me as if they're waiting for something exciting to happen. I'm plopped upside against an uneven bed with uncomfortable sheets. Worst of all, my arm is in a cast and my head is wrapped in bandages. The hospital room I'm in is small, and I have it to myself with Jace and Lily.

I am humbled they bought me balloons and cards that say, "get well soon." No one else came to visit me or to see if I was doing okay. It's almost hard to believe that. Besides Frankie and Danny, someone in the tournament must think of me as their friend. Where's Tyrone? I hope he's okay.

Lilly looks at me worriedly. "How are you feeling?"

"Are you feeling okay, Sag?" Jace rapidly repeats after.

"Y-yeah," I answer.

But I have a headache. Cameras are filming me. They must want to hear what I have to say after whatever happened during the last mission. The hospital gown I'm wearing doesn't have a back, so my butt will be broadcasted if I stand out of bed. "What happened?"

Lily bites her lower lip. "There was no winner, Sag. The Cluster invasion was something no one expected. Abigail was terrified. She left it to Ryan, JT, and Jace to send them straight off. But she's going to critique your performances before the attack happened."

"The show must go on," Jace chants. "Right?"

"Right," I whisper. "Those spiders are the Cluster?"

"They work for the Cluster," Jace clarifies. He approaches the table and pours himself a cup of water from the pitcher. "Those spiders are called Zusks. Once you kill them, they just start multiplying. But crazy how you went up against them," he adds, and I savor the incredibility in his tone.

But then panic at the severity. "It was an invasion," I realize.

"Only a small one," Lily promises. "There aren't any other hot spots."

Jace finds it funny she knows all of this. He sits on the edge and stares fascinatedly at Lily. "Who told you?"

"I overheard Kendall talking to Abigail," Lily explains. "She thinks someone from Nightfire helped the Cluster reach the colosseum. Which is—crazy! I'm not sure I heard her right."

"You definitely didn't," Jace agrees. "Besides, when do you listen to my sister?"

I pick up on Kendall and Lily's relationship quickly. Two ladies, both with brothers on a competitive, elite team, must have rivalry towards each other. "You guys don't get along?" I guess.

Lily gives me a look, and I instantly drop the topic.

Speak of the devil, attention turns to Kendall when she enters my hospital room. I can't help but to notice Lily cringe. The green blouse my mentor's wearing is made of silk and looks expensive. Her wavy, brown hair is pulled back into a ponytail, showing off her fresh, pale face that beams a smile. "Hey, Sag. Are you okay?" She sounds sweet as a mother. After taking another step into the room, I notice she's carrying a box of doughnuts and a milkshake.

Jace helps his sister in as she struggles.

"Thanks, but I have it. What are you doing here?"

"Hope Sag was okay," Jace answers.

Kendall places the treats down on the nightstand next to me. "Thought you'd might like something special when you wake up." It's a comforting gift from her.

What a great mentor, I think.

Tension is suddenly in the room when Kendall and Lily stare each other down. I'm wondering if they're going to cuss each other out. One might slap the other across the face. Or maybe a catfight! However, wisely, Kendall handles it with class and smiles politely at her. She's a bad actress. It's so fake. "If you don't mind, I need to speak with Sag alone."

Lily moves without question and wanders her way out my hospital room.

"Sure," Jace says, nodding. "Fine." They take their time to leave. Kendall waits until the door closes behind them. I'm starting to worry whatever she might say to me in confidential. If she's not confiding with her own brother, my trustworthy must mean a lot to her.

After they leave, Kendall still won't say anything. "No. I'm not going to talk to my pupil until these cameras are out of my face." She says it grimly, so no one dares to argue with her. The crew quickly packs up their equipment and leave my hospital room. Now I'm more nervous than before. Something might be wrong.

"Sag, you were absolutely right," Kendall whispers urgently. "Frankie does know Isabelle. He's been doing research about your father."

"What?" I'm startled to hear this from her yet impressed that she followed through my favors and went beyond. "What's Frankie doing?"

"It's what he's not doing." Kendall sighs to herself. "Oh, dear lord. I have no idea where to start." She bites her lower lip. "Just for the record, you can't tell anyone about this. It could ruin not just mine, but your reputation."
I nod slowly, not questioning why yet. "What is it?"

Kendall sits down at the edge of my hospital bed. "It's a very serious accusation, but I intend to handle it seriously before our universe implodes." She takes a deep breath. "I think Frankie is secretly working with the Cluster."

My eyes open wide. "Frankie's cruel, but not that cruel," I assure her.

"No, no, Sag," Kendall disagrees. "I really think he is. I do. And I'm going to prove it. With your help. Can you get close to him?"

I'm speechless. "Kendall, slow down. What makes you think Frankie is working with the Cluster?"

Kendall looks at me as if that's the silliest question I can ask her. "After you told me that he knew Isabelle, I've been spying on him. Every time a mission starts, I catch him leaving the colosseum. This morning, he was at Seeker Headquarters using the cryogenics, and warriors ranked under Brigadier never use them. Ever."

"Why is freezing himself such a big deal to you?"

"Because cryogenics do more than just freeze you!" Kendall explains in a frustrating tone. "They also allow you to teleport! That's why Abigail put you one in the first place, so you could travel out of the Milky Way. And Frankie has been traveling to different galaxies and possibly to Earth. And there's no way in hell he's allowed to do that." She's talking so fast like she can't express everything on her mind fast enough.

I process her words slowly, knowing she might be onto something, but it can't be proven. "I still don't get what that has to do with the Cluster."

"Because" Kendall sighs. "He leaves before missions. I checked into it further. He's working with the Exchurch. Not the Seekers."

I've heard of this organization once before from Megamind Miranda. "Who are they?"

"The Exchurch is a group of people who protect the Orichalcum," Kendall says. "Their group has been falling apart ever since it went missing. They've been after your father for years. One of them is probably helping Frankie use the cryogenics to travel."

"Frankie is working with Exchurch?" I'm shocked. "Frankie is actually investigating my dad?" That's a joke, actually. What kind of connections does he have to get into that kind of an establishment? Protectors of the Orichalcum sound like a huge deal. "He can do that even during a tournament?"

Kendall shrugs. "I guess he is. Isabelle recruited him, and Abigail is fully aware. They're keeping it quiet because they don't want the competitors to be jealous."

"Isabelle works for the Exchurch?" I'm baffled hearing this. "So you know where she is?"

Kendall nods. "I wouldn't be talking to her if I were you. If you think she's behind your father's disappearance, don't go making any moves yet. Let me—"

There's a knock at the door, sparing my mentor to talk about the violent cult, and one of the Healers steps inside. He takes one look at Kendall and panics into a stutter. "Uh—sorry, Ms. Minshew! I didn't realize you were in here. Am I interrupting something?"

"Yes," Kendall says through her teeth. "Leave."

The Healer nervously backs away. "I'll come back with Sag's treatment later." He closes the door, and we're left in privacy again.

Kendall waits a moment to make sure there are no more interruptions. "Anyways," she whispers. "Before your Search and Destroy mission, you didn't notice Frankie was missing? You didn't find it strange that he showed up right when the mission was about to start, and then the Cluster just happens to be there, and attacks?"

She shouldn't make that kind of conclusion yet. "You should tell Abigail," I suggest. "Why keep something like this behind her back?"

"I see you don't know Abigail very well yet," Kendall notices. "She's not going to believe me because this is Frankie we're talking about. She's his mentor. Besides, I don't want her to rant to me about how I'm trying to make her warriors look bad."

"Okay, let me get this straight," I say. "You think Frankie is using the cryogenics to go to places he shouldn't be going to? Like visits with the Cluster?"

Kendall looks at me as if the theory is easy enough for a child to figure out.

"You said he works with the Exchurch," I remind her. "If they protect the Orichalcum from the Cluster, then aren't they supposed to be the good guys? Besides, you don't even know where Frankie is running off to in these cryogenics. None of this means he's working with the Cluster. Just that he's working two jobs."

Kendall shakes her head, holding her case strong. "Are you listening to me?" she says. "The Cluster couldn't attack the colosseum all by themselves. They needed someone from the inside for help. It's Frankie. I know it is. I know it. And I was hoping you would help me prove it."

I blink at her. "Meddling is your thing, isn't it?"

"Sag, don't talk to me like I'm an idiot," Kendall says frustratingly. "I know it was Frankie who orchestrated that invasion! And I thought you were smart enough to know it, too. You were the one who asked me to do this for you in the first place."

"Kendall," I say to her slowly. "I asked you to see if you could figure out how Frankie met Isabelle. I didn't expect you to conclude that he's working for the Cluster. You make it sound like he's the one who kidnapped my dad. You can rest assure this conversation is safe between us. Because no one is going to believe me. I'm not sure if I believe you."
Kendall narrows her eyes angrily at me. She smacks her lips together, nodding, as if she's coming to the realization of something. "Of course, you don't." She stands up in a fury, cussing under her breath. Nonetheless, she takes one of the doughnuts she so thoughtfully got for me.

"Kendall..." I try calling after her, but she won't listen. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6K 571 18
"I've tried telling them I'm only fifteen. That no sane government would force a boy my age to fight crime. 'But Max, you're a superhero! Isn't this...
3.2K 1K 80
Once a month on a Thursday, a beautiful woman drags her telescope and sets it up on a hill, to find the brightest constellation she had ever seen in...
HERO By Shaun Allan

Science Fiction

19.7K 2.4K 62
**WATTY 2021 SHORLIST!** What's your superpower? Everyone has one right? That's why the world is falling apart. After a cure for a terrible pandemic...
8 0 3
Starscream is nine years old. He lives with his parents Megatron and Hyperia. He also has four older siblings. Slipstream who is 17, Thundercracker w...