Resisting the Bad Boy

JasmineCroft_ által

"Don't think," he whispers into my ear. I hesitate. "I-" His lips on mine silence the rest of my words. He s... Több

Before You Read
[1] "Archer Cross"
[2] "High School"
[3] "This'll Make it Better"
[4] "Who's Sweatshirt?"
[5] "Shining Knight"
[6] "You Broke Up"
[7] "Little Dove"
[8] "Flighty"
[9] "I Honestly Forgot"
[10] "Raven Micheals"
[11] "Go Get Him"
[12] "Almost Cute"
[13] "You're Kidding"
[14] "Look Pretty"
[15] "Son of a Bitch"
[16] "I Have an Idea"
[17] "Oh?"
[18] "Points for Little Dove"
[19] "Then Who was it?"
[20] "There's no Way"
[21] "Kiss"
[22] "I Know"
[23] "Archer v. Grant"
[24] "Date Me"
[26] "Inconsistent"
[27] "Kade Fosters"
[28] "I promise"
[29] "Hot Chocolate"
[30] "Sleep"
[31] "Don't think"
[32] "Keys"

[25] "Sunflowers"

4.6K 139 36
JasmineCroft_ által

     I NIBBLE on my lip, fiddling with my hair. I don't know why I'm so nervous, but I just...am. Ever since we kissed, I can't necessarily turn everything off. I still flick my eyes to my phone whenever it buzzes, just checking for a text from him.

     But then I feel guilty...because Kade and Grant are in the picture too. Three guys waiting to see what I say and I still have no clue what's going on in my head. Grant is my best friend other than Kendra. We know each other like we know ourselves and that's what makes everything so seamless—so easy. He's been there for me and helped me in ways I haven't appreciated enough. He's also a great guy that would be perfect if I wasn't so confused.

     Kade isn't someone I know well. In the situation with him, it's more classic dating to see if things work and getting to know each other. After that a decision is made and we see if things pan out. There's no previous feelings and there's no predetermined friendship. It's all new.

     And then there's Archer. I've known him for about as long as I've known Grant, but we definitely haven't been friends all this time. We were close in middle school—closer than I would've thought people like us would ever be. He truly was someone I really enjoyed being at school with. He was also my first crush.

     And then high school hit and the rest is history. Archer grew into the cliques and he also became someone everyone feared—someone I was terrified of. I saw the caring boy from middle school turn into the kid that gets sent to detention for brawling with another student. After the murder rumors began to spread, Archer's reputation flew. I knew his father was into some sketchy business and I hadn't questioned it since it seemed Archer was maturing along the same path.

     But there's one moment I'll never forget.

     I saw Archer and his dad argue. I saw his mom get in the middle of it and inevitably get hurt. I saw the killer look in Archer's eyes. I saw him throw the first punch. And I saw him end that fight as well.

     I shiver at the thought. I wasn't supposed to be snooping but I heard the shouting coming from down the street as I was walking home. The curious, but stupid, part of me was drawn towards—

     The doorbell rings cutting off the rabbit hole my mind wandered down.

     I race down the steps in order to beat anyone that might be home right now. I glance in the mirror in the foyer at my blank outfit. Would mom jeans and a black fitted lace-trimmed tank top cut it? I thought I looked kinda hot but—

     Without another thought I swung open the door, and upon seeing Archer my emotions squeezed. He was holding a beautiful bouquet of sunflowers.

     "Hey, little dove," he greeted.

     I was speechless. Never in my life did I think Archer Cross would be trying to impress me.

     At my silence, he lost a little confidence and I saw his cocky exterior falter. Was he really nervous about my opinion? Did I actually get under his skin a little bit?

     "A-Archer these are gorgeous," I say as he hands the flowers over.

     "I'd hoped you would like them," he nods.

     "Here, c'mon in and I'll put them in some water," I say and move from blocking the doorway.

     He steps inside, mask in place as his cold exterior pops back up. I lead him to the kitchen although he already knows the way. The vases are stored in the cabinet above the refrigerator and I stretch to open it. I brush the underside of the cabinet door, but can't seem to get a good enough grip to open it all the way—

     Archer sees my struggle and reaches up to open it with ease. I jump and back away, aware of the close proximity that put us in. He frowns at my jumpiness but pulls a clear vase out nonetheless. I continue to set to the flowers down gently and fill the vase with water and add some of the plant food it came with. After I get the flowers situated I turn back to him and tilt my head.

He looks so domesticated just standing in my kitchen with the leftover plastic wrapping from the flowers I handed him earlier. I'd assumed it would've been in the trash by now.

"Are you ready?" he asks, voice clear and controlled.

"Yes," I say, gulping and following him out the door as he throws the trash out on the way.

We both hop in his Range Rover and I recognize the way we're going. I'm a little surprised considering what happened after the last time he came here. Well, I do have to admit the food here is unmatched.

     We pull up in front of Rosie's diner and the smell of sweets and greasy food hits me. Rosie's has been somewhere I've been going for years. It's unique in the way that they've got regular food—including the best fries ever—and they have the infamous chocolate covered strawberries along with milkshakes, ice cream sundaes, and other dessert. I look at Archer as he closes his door and makes his way to my side of the vehicle. I've already opened my door and gotten out, but he doesn't seem deterred as he places a hand at the small of my back and guides me towards the front.

     My stomach flips and my face feels hot already.

     "We're taking the food to go," he tells me.

     "O-kay?" I say, the warm atmosphere on the drive here gone.

"Unless you want to eat here?" he asks.

"No, no I'm fine with whatever," I say, looking up at him with a small smile.

He grins back and opens the door for me as we reach the entrance. I duck my head as I go in, not used to the gesture.

I order my regular dish, the kids meal with the burger and fries, and upgrade my drink to a bigger size than the kids one. I'm about to ask for my total when Archer steps up and starts ordering, pulling out his card and hanging it to the cashier.

     I open my mouth to protest when the lady behind the register stops me.

     "He's been coming here for years and I've never seen him pay for a girl. For my sake let me see him being a grown up," she says as Archer scoffs.

     I grin and zip up my purse. I never knew Leila paid for all the strawberries she dearly loved here. Archer was more bold and cold than I even thought to expect. All this time he didn't pay...there's no way Leila would be okay with that unless she was as desperate to be with him as he says.

"Raven? Hello? Little dove," Archer calls and I snap out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, sorry," I say and follow him to the area where we wait for the takeout food.

We stand in awkward silence and I'm beginning to wonder what I'm doing here and why. Archer and I haven't ever even thought to hang out much less go on a date, but here we are.

"So..." he says.

"So...uh where are we off to after this?" I ask.

"You'll see," he says.

Someone in a hurry rushes past and bumps into me, knocking me into Archer.

"Hey, watch it," he says as he puts a protective arm around my shoulders.

I gulp at the close proximity and I feel myself reducing to the shy, pathetic person I curse myself for being. Archer, however, doesn't seem fazed as he keeps his arm in place. Rosie, the owner, comes out with our food and he drops his arm to take the bag from her.

"Thank you," I say.

"You two have fun," she smiles.

Archer motions for me to lead the way and I hear Rosie whisper something to him that I'm sure I'm not meant to hear.

"I like this Archer much better than the one without her around."

I don't listen to what he responds with as I keep walking to not look suspicious. I don't take long to ponder on what she means as Archer leads me to his car. I reach out to open the door at the same time he does and I pull my hand back as he opens it for me. I give him a glance to find him looking elsewhere.

     "T-thank you," I say and climb in.

     He shuts the door behind me and goes to the driver's side. We sit in silence as he makes his way toward our destination, the food sitting on my lap.

     "Thank you for agreeing to this," he breaks the silence.

     I hesitate in surprise at his comment.

     "As much as people say about you, you've never done anything to me," I shrug.

     He scoffs, "I made most of your high school experience hell."

     I sigh, "I know, but I'm talking about...the bad stuff people say."

     I've certainly struck a nerve as he tenses.

     "You're not stupid enough to believe I've never laid my hand on someone. That being said, you're also smart enough to know I would've had reason. And I know my reputation proceeds me—you don't have to throw it at me," he says, harsh.

     Instead of piping down like a smart person in a probable killer's car, I talk back like an idiot.

     "You have the entire school afraid of you—Leila was afraid of you—I was afraid of you. You're-," I stop myself.

     "a killer? Is that what you were going to say?" he looks at me.

     My eyes widen.

     "I know you've seen me do some fucked up shit. Hell, the fucking school saw me damn near get charged junior year. You're fucking different though—don't you see that? Because as much as I can see you're scared, you knew me before. You knew me before the whispers started—before the legal bullshit," he says.

     "I did," I say simply.

     "And I'm asking you to look past what you've seen and heard and listen to what you know," he says.

     "And you think it's just as easy as that?" I just about whisper.

     And then I really mess up.

• • •

Cliffhanger as always I feel like haha. I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I struggled a lot with writing it because I wanted things to work out in my head but it wasn't coming out right on here.

What are your thoughts about Archer and Raven's half convo?

Please vote, comment, and share!

Jasmine Croft xo

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

29.5M 872K 71
He tips my head toward his with his index finger, keeping my eyes trained on him and driving me crazy with the primal look on his face. His grey eyes...
425K 10.6K 78
I feel his dirty hands touch me once more and move up higher to my thighs. I try to jerk them away but he locks my arms in his hand above my head as...
107K 3.9K 48
*Mafia romance* He pierced into my soul with his beautiful eyes, his hot breath touching my face. He looked away from me for a moment, towards every...
1M 21.7K 52
Guardians of Freecaster High #1 "That doesn't make any sense. You were the one who left me. You didn't care anymore." "If I didn't care, Alexis, then...