The convenient marriage

TURTUREL द्वारा

The dark gloomy day she died, regretting all she never managed to do, she thought would be her last. She neve... अधिक

Chapter 1. The day she died
Chapter 2. The woman he married
Chapter 3. The life she gained
Chapter 4. The house they lived in
Chapter 5. The man she married
Chapter 6. The interrupted routine
Chapter 7. The new routine
Chapter 8. The enthusiastic student
Chapter 9. A melancholic piano piece
Chapter 10. A slight touch
Chapter 11. A first time father
Chapter 12. A date?
Chapter 13. A status upgrade
Chapter 14. A matter of the heart
Chapter 15. His absence, her absence
Chapter 16. A frail patient
Chapter 17. The real Aria
Chapter 19. Elevated heart rates
Chapter 20. A new home
Chapter 21. A sleepless night
Chapter 22. An unexpected guest
Chapter 23. Birds of a feather
Chapter 24. How to woo a woman
Extra. Crossover
Chapter 25. The wife of the CEO
Chapter 26. The president's closest people
Chapter 27. The only exception to the rules
Chapter 28. The right way to stop a hiccup
Chapter 29. Misunderstandings
Chapter 30. The daughter in law of the Blacks
Chapter 31. A bubbly witch's friendly spell
Chapter 32. Another status upgrade?
Chapter 33. A dotting husband's care
Chapter 34. How to become a real person?
Chapter 35. How far is near
Chapter 36. A body as fake as the heart
Chapter 37. The perfect candidate for Aria Langdon
Chapter 38. A poorly chosen lawyer
Chapter 39. The rightful owner of the promise
Chapter 40. A true heart
Chapter 41. No retractions allowed
Chapter 42. An interrupted family time
Chapter 43. A family time
Chapter 44. A stolen life
Chapter 45. The rumored Madame president
Chapter 46. For my one and only
Chapter 47. Time is short and fickle
Chapter 48. Life changing choices
Chapter 49. Lesser of two evils
Chapter 50. Killing a newfound heart
Chapter 51. A mother's resentment
Chapter 52. Third-person's omniscient point of view
Chapter 53. Longing
Chapter 54. Cadenza

Chapter 18. An innocent Aria

18.5K 678 27
TURTUREL द्वारा

With the interference out of the way, the two people had remained the only ones in the hospital room.

Oblivious to Malcom's presence on the other side of the door, who was currently secretly watching their interaction, Aria listened to Zane's words and struggling a bit brought a small bed table, intending to lift it over the bed. Conscious of its weight, Zane assisted the pregnant woman immediately, and helped her settle it on top of his legs.

Then returning to the table that was placed in a corner of the room, further away from the bed, Aria grabbed the bag with the still warm food and returned to Zane's side, taking the boxes out and placing them on the small table.

'It's still a bit warm. You should eat some. We already asked the doctor and he told us soup, steamed vegetables and rice congee should be safe for your stomach. Their taste might be a bit bland, since they contain less salt than usual, but they will do you good.' Aria spoke, as she opened the containers, from which immediately some appetizing steam and delicious scent was released. Aria looked for a second more at the mouth-watering food, but did not linger glancing at it. She scolded herself inside her head that Zane must be fed first, as he was the patient.

Finishing removing all the lids, she ripped open a small bag which contained a plastic fork and spoon, and raised them both in front of Zane, waiting for the latter to take them.

'Zane?' She asked, looking towards the silent man inquisitively, as a bit of time had passed, and Zane had not shown any initiative to pick them up. He was only looking dazedly towards her, but did not seem to be paying attention to her gestures. 

Admiring the Aria that he had missed this week, but also remembering the earlier discussion with Malcom... Zane's heart was in a constant turmoil.

Malcom had made him aware of this fact, a fact which he had overlooked, in the sense that he had not taken any preventive measures.  

Aria may be the one he loved today, but tomorrow she may remember her past and revert to her old personality. He had been too passive regarding this matter, he had not made it impossible for her amnesia to be cured , he had not lessen the things that could become triggers to unlocking  her memories.

It was a selfish act, he was well aware of this, but no matter what from here on out, he would keep the Aria in front of his eyes, as she currently was... regardless of the consequences.

'Zane?' After two more attempts to grab his attention, her voice had finally entered his ears, and he regained his composure, directing his previous unfocused eyes towards her.

'Yes?' He replied a bit awkward, as he was not aware just what she had said until now.

'I was trying to give you the fork and the spoon, so you can eat a little. What is the matter? Are you still not feeling alright? Do you want me to help you?' She expressed worriedly. As her body had been in quite a severe state in her previous life, she knew just how much effort a person would need to exert even when eating while being ill. Of course, the two situations could not be compared, but she did not know how severe his anemia was, so she offered her help.

Hearing her words, Zane's first reaction was to deny. How could he let her help him eat?

'No. I can eat by myself.'

He had only been engulfed in his thoughts, and thus did not pay attention to what she spoke, but because of this she had misunderstood he was still feeling weak. At this point, even the headache that appeared when he woke up had faded, so it wouldn't be right to let her feed him. Moreover, disregarding the fact he would feel embarrassed if he was to be treated like a child, she also had to eat herself.

 Although, the image of her feeding him that appeared unwittingly in his head, made his otherwise steady heart rate increase rapidly.

'Ehhh... your face is getting redder. You wouldn't be running a fever, right?' Aria voiced anxiously, and not waiting for him to reply, she once again checked his forehead. It was a bit warmer than usual, but she couldn't say if it was a fever or not, so to double check, she glued her entire palm to Zane's forehead.

With the earlier realization of his feelings, Zane did not feel too comfortable with her touch. He did not feel himself capable of restraining his wish to hug her with all his might, to hold her tightly in his embrace as if to confirm she was real and would not vanish the next second. But he was afraid of hurting her feelings and did not brush her off immediately, he let her check for a few more seconds, but at last he couldn't bear it anymore.

'I am alright. I don't have a fever.' He replied with a slightly deeper tone, to make himself more believable, and did not wait for her to remove her own palm, impatiently raising his right hand to remove the cause of the blush from his forehead.

But in his rashness, he had forgotten that his right hand still had attached the butterfly gauge to it  that would obstruct bending his arm.

Scrunching his face a bit because of the sharp pain, Zane railed in any sounds he reflexively wanted to let out, so Aria wouldn't realize it. But as she had her eyes on him, it would be impossible for her to not discern what happened.

'Don't move your hand. It looks like indeed I should feed you. You can't use your dominant hand because of the gauge after all.' Aria scolded a bit, then did not wait for Zane's confirmation.

'Say ahhh!' She said, bringing the soup filled spoon towards his mouth.

Zane was about to tell her that he was not righthanded, but with the real image of her directing the spoon towards his lips which was even more enchanting than the one he had pictured, he automatically opened his mouth. His opened mouth was perceived as an acceptance from Zane's part, so Aria swiftly fed him the soup, then filled the spoon again and brought it to his mouth.

No differently than a child, Zane would open his mouth each time she would bring the soup filled spoon near his face, and in a matter of minutes the container was empty.

'You should eat some, vegetables also. Alright?' Aria asked, but the question could be considerate an informative one, because again she did not wait for his compliance as she brought the fork near his mouth.

'Say ahhh!' The petite Aria told the stone like man, who was still taller than the small woman even while sitting on the bed.

Fortunately, before Aria had started to feed Zane, Malcom had already left. If he were to see the scene that was displayed inside the room, more so than in Aria's body, he would think in his friend's body resided another soul at this moment.

'Do you want to drink some water?' The petite woman asked as her hand was skillfully wiping his mouth with a small napkin.

She had fed Zane only a small portion of vegetables, because for someone who had stomach problems it wouldn't be good if he were to suddenly eat too much. Although she was a bit confused as to why Zane would have problems eating this week which led to his declined health. He always ate well at home, and even now he ate all that she fed him, and did not even tell her that it was enough. She was the one who stopped feeding him.

Zane had only managed to react and reply to Aria, when the napkin was removed. Up until this moment he could have very well been considerate hypnotized, and only when she finished did he regain his conscious mind.

'No. It's alright! You should eat as well. You haven't eaten for some hours already.' Zane said, feeling a bit regretful and guilty that he only now remembered he had wanted to eat together with her. It was insensible of him, but he couldn't help but do her bidding.

Aria on the other hand did not feel bad, she was the one who felt useless all the time, she did not have a steady job, she could not even be considered a housewife with the army of servants doing all the chores around the house. Taking care of him was a small matter, considering he was the one who was working and was facing all the problems that came with it. She could even say she was elated to have a purpose.

Since she had transmigrated until now, as if to make up for the lost years spent on a dying bed, she only played and relaxed all the time. The only useful thing she was doing was eating and nurturing the children, but this was done automatically by her body. It was not something she put her mind and will in making it happen. 

It was already midnight by the time Aria also had her meal, and had the doctor check once more Zane's state. His health had always been quite good, so there wasn't a need for a long hospitalization period. Zane had to stay in the hospital just for one night.

'My lady, it is already quite late. Please allow me to take you home. Then I will return to take care of master.' The butler proposed, after the doctor he had brought to check up on Zane had left through the door.

'Ahh... No, I will stay for tonight. I can take care of Zane. You are already tired as well.' Aria rejected. The old man's age was quite advanced, he had remained as a butler at the mansion because Zane had considered him part of the family, and so he had not retired even until now. But staying up all night, surely would not be good for his health.

Even though Aria was pregnant and quite frail as well, as opposed to the sickly body Aria had in her last life, her current body was already many times much better, so she was feeling confident in her strength and resilience. Although she was the only one confident in herself.

'My lady, you are pregnant. How could I leave and let my lady accompany the master? It is much better if I stay, right master?' The butler asked looking towards Zane. Even though Aria would reject if he was the one who offered to take care of the master, surely the master wouldn't accept her staying for the night. And if the master spoke, Aria would have no choice but to go home to sleep. Right, the master would tell her to go home.

'Let Aria stay for the night. You can go back home. The room is wide enough, I will call the director and have them bring an additional bed.' Zane spoke calmly, baffling the butler. 

Why would the master let the mistress do as she liked? Especially now, when it would involve Aria's and the children's comfort.

'Great. That's settled then. I will go use the ladies' room for a bit.' Aria smilingly said, and went to the hospital room's adjacent restroom. She was afraid they would change their mind if she stayed, and she also sincerely needed to use it. The children were pressing on her bladder. 

'Master, wouldn't it be better if I stayed. The madam is pregnant, if you would need help during the night...' The butler expressed worriedly.

'I had a mild anemia and some stomach problems. I won't need Aria's help. She will stay here. Leave this aside, I want you to do something.' Zane spoke firmly, using a tone that made the butler hold back other words of convincing he might have wanted to utter.

'Yes, master.' He replied simply, then listened to his master's instructions.

'Has the butler left?' Asked Aria, as she exited the bathroom and scanned the room with her eyes.

'Yes. Wait comfortable on the couch a bit. I called, and they will bring the bed any minute now.' He gently said, totally changing his earlier deep tone.

'There is no need for another bed. The couch is comfortable enough.' Aria reasoned. The room was large enough to accommodate another bed, as it was a VIP one, and it resembled more a hotel room rather than a hospital one, but there was no need to disturb other people and make them bring a bed.

'The couch is not comfortable enough for you and our children. Wait for the bed.' Zane insisted, with a resolute tone.

Aria did not insist when she heard about the babies and  obediently sat on the couch, moving her gaze towards the window. At such a late hour, and taking in to account they were on the third floor, there was no remarkable view to glance at, in fact it was only pure black, with some twinkles here and there. But inside the room she did not know on what to keep her eyes, so the safest place was still the window. 

With the two being alone after a whole week of not being in each other's presence, the initial familiarity that had formed the previous week seemed to have dimmed a little. 

Feeding Zane had not been hard, as Aria had seen it the same to how the nurses treated her in the past, and how she treated the smaller children at the orphanage. But now without a clear purpose, she really did not know how to overcome the awkwardness. She was a bit nervous, well maybe a little more than a bit, she had not even realized that Zane had called the babies our, including them both as parents. Something he had never done in the past.

She could not even sigh, afraid to disturb the silent atmosphere. If she had at least a book, or something to keep herself occupied it would have still been alright. But she had no such distractions on her, how could she even think about bringing those things when she came rushing to the hospital. The hospital room was equipped with a TV, but unfortunately that TV was on the same wall with the couch, so naturally she could not watch it in her current position.

'Aria...' Zane said slowly, but in the quiet room she heard his voice loud and clear.

'Yes? Do you need something?' Aria replied quickly, and was already about to get up on her feet.

'No, don't get up. I just wanted to ask you...' Zane spoke looking at her face. He was afraid to miss any expression it seemed, as he appeared to not even blink.

Aria waited for his words, but though she had her eyes on his face also, she avoided a bit his eyes, preferring to look at his nose or forehead. For some reason, even though she was at a bit of a distance away, his gaze made her uncomfortable.

'This week, I had some matters at work...' Zane said slowly, trying to put his thoughts into words, but for some reason it was a bit difficult. Place him in front of the president of the country, and he would have no problem talking without a hint of nervousness or clumsiness, but place him in front of this small beautiful woman, and he did not seem able to find his words now.

'It is alright. I know work comes first. We can have the piano lessons again when you will have time. There is no need for you to explain.' Aria immediately interjected. Zane had fainted at work, and did not have time for proper meals, how could she be selfish and demand the lessons from him?

Zane did not know whether to laugh or cry, he had wanted to excuse himself because naturally a wife should know about her husband's schedule, and where he was at, but the fair lady thought he was talking about the piano lessons.

'I was indeed not able to teach you piano this week, but I was not talking about that...' Zane said with a gentle tone.

But despite his tone, she flushed a bit because she had misunderstood. She should have let him finish his words. Because of this now she could not even apologize for the error in her understanding, she did not dare open her mouth.

'I was talking about the fact that I was not able to return home in the night.' Zane said, still keeping his eyes on her.

Aria was a bit confused, the butler had told her each day that he was not able to return, so there was no need to speak more of this, moreover his absence should be a common occurrence. Why was Zane personally explaining his absence to her?

'It will not happen in the future. No matter what, I will return home each day.' He finally related his thoughts. It was a statement that she could depend on him, that he would be there for her.

Still afraid to speak to reply mistakenly to his words, Aria slightly nodded, as if to confirm she had heard his words, but whether she understood their meaning, that was a different matter.

'And about the previous night, you may have seen...' Zane started to explain, but was interrupted when someone knocked on the door.

At this time, it was highly likely that the ones who came were here to bring the bed, so he abstained from speaking to Aria, and beckoned the people inside.

As expected, once given permission, two male nurses came bringing another bed.

Placing the other bed parallel  with Zane's, and making some adjustments to it, the two took their leave, with Zane and Aria once more remaining the ones inside the room.

'It's already late. We should sleep.' Zane told Aria. He did not want to resume the words that were left unsaid from before. Thinking a bit more in the time the two nurses adjusted the bed... if he were to detail to Aria on what the news reported, if she were to ask him why he was explaining to her, it would seem he was justifying himself. Or worse what if she interrupted him again as she did when he explained about his absence. If she were to say it was alright, and did not let him finish his words, then it would mean she really did not see herself as his wife.

Not that he thought this, just last week she called him a big brother, but now after he recognized his feelings... the blow would be substantially larger.

Aria again nodded and approached the recently installed bed.

But getting near it, she discovered a very important matter. As she stayed on the couch, she did not realize just how tall the bed was, so she had not instructed the nurse to lower it some more. With her small figure and large belly, how was she supposed to climb it? She looked a bit more, flustered on what to do, but the bed seemed a quite high tech one with a remote control, and did not have a handle to change its height.

Turning around, with her back facing the bed, she was about to tell Zane she would go and find someone who could lower it a bit for her. But she did not manage to utter even one word, when two large arms placed themselves on her underarms and slowly rose her body, until her feet could no longer reach the ground.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

9.8K 459 13
"I DON'T FUCKING LOVE YOU! GET THAT IN YOUR HEAD, BELLA!" He yelled while he pointed his finger to my head. "DON'T LIE TO YOUR FUCKING SELF, CALVIN!"...
540K 19.4K 30
*This book is terrible, read at your own risk.* Womanizing playboy Sebastian Hayes was in a bind, his grandfather was requiring him to get married be...
17.3K 455 60
"I'm the most eligible bachelor of America I'm a billionaire and you're rejecting me" "YES" "Tell me what you want I'll give you anything" " Anything...
18.4K 866 62
I looked at her at the altar, she was looking breathtakingly beautiful that I could not take my eyes off her. She was not destined to be mine but I'm...