Harper Isabel Todd

By geek-on-a-leash

"Isabel Todd," Leslie turned to Jason, "your daughter." ---------- It's been 3 months since Roy saved his ass... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29

Chapter 1

1K 26 0
By geek-on-a-leash

Jason's safe-house, Gotham

"Jason? This is Leslie Tompkins, call me back as soon as you can, it's very important, don't worry I'm not going to tell him but please call me."

Jason had been back in Gotham for 3 weeks and hadn't triggered any bat-alerts, this was his most secure safe-house. The message from Leslie was 2 weeks old on a number that Jason rarely used but usually always checked. He cursed under his breath, he loved Leslie and she wouldn't call unless it was important, especially after the public beat down he took a few months back. He called her from another number.

"Hey, what's up doc? It's Jason-"

"Thank God, I-I was worried, I saw the news and you just disappeared," <span;>her voice was filled with relief.

"If it's not a crow bar, you've got nothing to worry about," Jason joked.

"It's not funny, but anyway, how long do you need to get to the clinic?"

"20 minutes tops, is everything okay?"

"Come in a car not a bike, don't be late, and don't draw attention."

20 minutes later, Tompkins Clinic

"Doc?" Jason checked her office.

"In here," she called from the VIP room reserved for bat-fam injuries.

Jason started worrying, if one of the bats or birds were hurt and Leslie called him, it means something bad has happened or it was a trap. Leslie wouldn't lure him into a trap, right?

"What's going on?" Jason had all his guards up as he went into the room.

"No one other than me is here, well and her," Leslie was standing over a crib.

"Okay, who's she?" Jason asked walking to the baby.

"Isabel Todd," Leslie turned to face Jason, "your daughter."

"If this is a joke doc, it's not funny," Jason took a step back.

"It's not, this is Isabel Ardila's daughter, she came to me after you shot Penguin, she remembered you saying I knew everything," she explained, "she was scared because she thought you might've, well we all thought you were, again," Leslie choked on her words.

"Easy, doc, I'm alive and kicking," Jason reassured her.

"Well, she didn't know that, and-"

"Where's Isabel?"

"She passed last week Jason, I'm so sorry," Leslie said sadly.

"She what? How? Why- when?" Jason was about to breakdown.

"Childbirth was complicated, she left you a letter, she asked me to give it to you if I ever saw you again," Leslie handed him the letter.

"Why didn't she tell me she was pregnant?" Jason stared at the baby, his baby.

"I don't know, but she came to me, because she knew she might not make it through childbirth and she wanted her to be raised by you or someone you trusted."

"How old is she?"

"2 weeks, she's healthy and really strong."

"2 weeks old, she was born on april 16th?" Jason started counting.

"Exactly," Leslie nodded, "I called Alfred to ask about you, he didn't know anything, I didn't tell him about her."

"Okay," he nodded, the last time him and Isabel were together was on his birthday, she was already pregnant.

Jason sat down on the chair in front of the crib and opened the letter.

"Dear Jason,

I'm sorry, about everything, I'm sorry I broke up with you on your birthday, I'm sorry I didn't return any of your calls. If you're reading this, it means I didn't make it through childbirth. I should've told you when I first found out but I was mad at you for some reason that is so insignificant right now.

I shouldn't have asked you to give up your job for me, I should've stayed to at least hear your answer, but I assumed we'd both be better off. I was going to tell you, I swear, but then I saw the news, I went to Leslie Tompkins, you always said you trusted her.

I have something called Preeclampsia it's a pregnancy complication characterized by high blood pressure and signs of damage to another organ system, most often the liver and kidneys. Preeclampsia usually begins after 20 weeks of pregnancy in women whose blood pressure had been normal, that's the google definition.

I found out really late, I tried to work as much as I could to save money, so I skipped a few appointments. Doctor Tompkins said that my chances of survival are good, but that I should prepare for the worst because it was discovered late and badly handled by my old doctors. I made her sign papers that the baby is the priority not me.

She will recognize your voice, I have your voicemails, I used to record you when you sang in the shower, Roy sent me a few other videos of you singing random songs, I always made sure she heard your voice.

I love her, I love her so much, I'm so sorry, I know you're going to be the best father she could dream of having, take care of our girl Jason, please take care of her, I don't want her to end up in the system, you know how horrible the system can be.

I named her Isabel Todd, I know it's a bit narcissistic of me, but if I don't make it, I don't want her to forget about me, you can choose her first name. She's yours, I promise, she's yours.

Doctor Tompkins will put you in contact with my lawyer, for everything I own, it's all hers, I know you don't need it, but I want her to know I didn't leave her with nothing. The lawyer will not get involved in your 'business', but everything is in order. I don't want my parents anywhere near her, please Jason, keep them away. My last will and testament are with the lawyer, he will deliver the ashe after the cremation, you don't meet them, ever, please.

Tell her I loved her, kiss her for me, don't let her grow up thinking I didn't love her.

Love always

Isabel"

Jason wiped away his tears and stared back to his daughter.

"It's going to be okay," Leslie came back with a bag, "I will help you with anything you might need."

"Where's Isabel?" Jason managed to ask.

"She asked to be cremated," Leslie explained, "but I haven't yet, she's in the morgue, if you want to say goodbye."

"Did she get to hold her?" Jason stared at the baby.

"She did, we took a few pictures," Leslie handed him the pictures, "her condition was caught late, and her previous doctors didn't know what they were doing, I did everything I could," she said in a regret filled voice.

"I'm sure you did," Jason walked out of the room into Leslie's office and sunk down on the couch.

"It's okay, take your time," Leslie followed him.

"I, I, I need to buy a crib and a baby seat and a stroller and diapers and food, what am I going to feed her? She's supposed to be breastfeeding but she can't, because Isabel is, oh god," Jason laughed hysterically, "oh god, I have a baby, a baby without a mother, because I pushed her away, and, and, if I'd been there Isabel wouldn't have had to work extra shifts she would still be here-"

"Jason, this isn't your fault," Leslie sat next to him and patted his shoulder, "the way her condition was handled caused the extra complications, it wasn't even her fault for working extra hours, I promise this isn't your fault either. I promise I won't tell anyone."

"How long can you keep her here?"

"As long as you need, but I don't know how long before he stumbles in."

"Okay, good, I need to buy stuff, she can sleep in my bed tonight but I need a carseat to take her home and food she needs food-"

"Jason, do you want to hold her first?" Leslie picked up the baby and walked to the couch.

"Yeah," Jason nodded, "let me wash my hands first."

Jason nearly scrubbed his skin off. He went back to the couch and took the baby from Leslie. He held the baby horizontally at his chest level, slid his hand from her bottom up to support her neck. He gently nudge the baby's head into the crook of his elbow. While still cradling her head, he moved his hand from the supporting arm to her bottom. His free arm will be able to do other things or provide extra support.

Jason felt his heart bursting, he was holding his baby girl, he was heartbroken about Isabel passing but he was going to make sure his baby had everything she needed.

"Isabel said you should add a name," Leslie smiled, "have you thought of one?"

"I," he stared at the baby, who has always been there no matter what? Who nearly died to save him countless times? Who chose to be his friend? Who fought off Batman for him? "Harper," Jason's eyes widened when the baby opened her eyes, they were blue.

"I think she likes it, Harper Isabel Todd, that's a beautiful name."

"Hi, Princess, I'm Jason, your dad, I'm going to make sure you have everything you're ever going to need, I will protect you from everything, I promise," he brought his free hand to fix Harper's shirt when her hands moved, he touched her little fingers and then she grabbed onto one of his, "oh my God, I love you."

"She already ate before you came, I'll show you how to change a diaper later," Leslie said.

"Okay," Jason kept staring at the baby, "she's so small."

"She is," Leslie smiled, "if you go now you can still buy a crib, Isabel already got a stroller/carseat with her."

"Right, I don't want to let her go," he whispered.

"Okay, whenever you're ready."

Jason's safe-house

Jason installed the crib in record time. He added the mattress and the sheets he bought and cleaned. He also hung the Harper sign the salesperson suggested on the crib along with a little crown. He laid Harper down to sleep and pulled out his phone.

He didn't know what to do, he knew someone who always did.

"It's me," he paused, "I know I should've called before, I'm okay, but I need your help, it's really important, I'll text you the address," Jason hung up and waited.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

622 11 11
Cathleen was only five when it happened, when her parents died before her eyes. That night started out amazing, she had dinner with them and they wen...
21.7K 827 14
Life as a Robin ain't easy. People constantly try to kidnap you or use you as leverage or get a king's ransom for you or just get in your head. Not a...
29.9K 1.2K 18
Tim doesn't plan on talking with Jason when he goes to crime alley, because why on Earth would Red Hood be there, right? ("Stupid fucker" Tim thinks...
928 2 24
Melissa Wayne is a 14 year old girl originally from LA. Her uncle happens to be Billionaire playboy, Bruce Wayne. Which means her cousin (and best fr...