Beware The Haunted House

By sush01031994

Katherine William's father has passed away. Her life has turned upside down without him. She along with her f... More

Gloomy Days
Lovely Villa
Encounter
Midnight Horrors
The Mad Man
Unexpected Death
Nick Is A Nuisance
Skiing
Horror, Horror Everywhere!
Bravery
Big Day
Strange happenings
The Haunted House
Trouble
Trapped
Playing with minds
The Curtis
Progress
Illusions
The key to success
The Diary
Heartbreak!
Farouk
Curtis Again
Every Story Has A happy Ending!

The Room

6.3K 298 38
By sush01031994

I was served hot cocoa. I tasted Mrs. Drew's cupcakes and my God- they were splendid! I felt like eating more and more.

'I will teach you how to bake them. You can come whenever you are free,' said Mrs.Drew.

'I would like to but--,' i started looking at Jason.

He smiled. 'Don't worry, i will hold your hand everyday,' he whispered.

I blushed. 'I will come after school,' i told Mrs.Drew. Her face lit up.

Jason asked me if i wanted him to walk me home and i gave a negative reply. I saw that he was exhausted and wanted some rest . on our way home, Nick was talking nineteen to the dozen. Mom was home.

'You look very happy,' she said.

'Yes, Jason is wonderful and he has a wonderful mother who makes wonderful cupcakes,' i said.

'So, you had a wonderful day,' she said. We both laughed. I lay on the bed and shut my eyes.  Later, mom asked me to dust the library.

'Sure, mom,' i replied yawning. I picked up a wet cloth and stepped into the library. The lights were not working so i lit a candle. A looked around. A persian rug covered the hardwood floors. A thick layer of dust had settled on the top shelf. I removed the books from all the columns and laid them neatly on the floor. Then i mopped the shelf with the cloth.

The library had books on record, medicine and herbs, even recipes for ale and certain cheeses. The bookcases that lined the walls and touched the ceiling were old, walnut, chocolatey in color and polished with time. My eyes rested on a big book on the topmost shelf. I hoisted myself up to get the book. 

I examined it carefully. It was a bible , it's sixteenth century boards and leathers possessed the ever-so-faint sweet smell of rekindled fungi. It was so heavy that i dropped it once or twice.

I heard a sound. A jingle!

I picked up the book in wonder and dropped it again, this time purposely.

I heard the jingle again. I turned the pages  of the book vigourously. I was shocked and a bit surprised to find a key!

Why was the key in the book? Had someone hidden it there? If yes- then why?

'Kat,' i heard mom call me.

I slipped the key into one of my pockets and replaced the book on the shelf. I quickly rearranged all the books and marched out, closing the door after me. A thought came to my mind. I tried to insert the key in the keyhole of the library's door but the keyhole was too small. It was clear that this was not the key to the library.

'Kat, you finished cleaning the library?,' asked mom.

'Almose finished. I hve to dust the rug,' i replied. 

'Well, dust it tomorrow. Have dinner now,' she said.

I was so hungry. I finished up the eggs and bacon and plum cake in no time. 'Mom, did Tom eat?,' i asked .

'No. He's acting wierdly. He started barking at me when i went to your room with food,' said mom.

But Tom never barks at anyone,' i said worried.

Tommy was sleeping. I called him but he didn't even stir. The food was untouched. I gave up and went to sleep.

The next morning, Tommy had gone for a walk with Grandpa. The food was still untouched and i considered to take him to the vet. At school, i thought of asking Jason to sit beside me but i wiped the thought away when i saw Bella's angry face in my head.

I got two surprises no -actually three surprises at school.

Surprise !: I saw Jason hug a girl who had just entered the class. My mouth dropped open. She was tall, very nice complexion and her hair was a shade of auburn. Jason talked with her for sometime and pulled her closer to him. He whispered something into her ear and they both roared with laughter. I saw Bella standing cold- Staring at them helplessly.

Surprise 2: Minutes passed. Jason came to sit next to me after saying goodbye to his friend (maybe friend). I acted busy reading chemistry notes.  I was desperate to know about the girl.

'Goodmorning,' he wished.

'Who is she?,' i asked.

'Oh, she's Eddie- my girlfriend,' he said smiling.

I was red cheeked with rage. I was suddenly upset. Anyone can have a GF. Jason is smart and handsome, i remimded myself. Then why was his girlfriend bothering me? Because- because.........

'Bella must be mad on you,' i said.

'Did anyone teach her to smile?,' he joked.

'When and how?,' i asked.

'It's a long story. She's senior- that's all i can say,' he said dreamily.

'I am your friend. You can tell me,' i said finding it hard to call myself his friend.

'Sorry, Katherine. I can't share it with you,' he said.

I pouted and didn't nudge him further.

Surprise 3: Our christmas hols were cancelled because we had to complete our syllabus. Pah! Everyone moaned and started making faces at Mrs.Berett. She was not going to listen to anyone of us as she was very much firm in her decisions. Wicked lady!

Bella came to me after Jason had gone to meet his new GF at break.

'Why are you sitting with him,' she asked.

'I didn't invite him,' i said .'Anyway, he has a GF. You better go and trouble her.'

'Is Eddie really his GF?,' she asked.

'Yes, he told me so,' i replied irritated. The color drained out of her face.

After school, Jason walked me home. I was sulking so much that i nearly made up my mind not to meet Mrs.Drew that day. But i didn't want to disappoint her. She was so nice, sweet and kind to me. My eyes were filled with tears. I didn't like him having a girlfriend. I only nodded when he asked me anything. He even asked me why was i upset, i just nodded and didn't say anything.

Mrs.Drew taught me how to make batter. All this time, I could feel Jason watching me continuously. I tried hard not to meet eyes with him and ignore him completely. Mrs.Drew was kind enough to offer me hot cocoa before i left home. 

'I want to tell you something,' whispered Jason.

'I don't want to listen,' i said.

'Please,' he begged.

I rolled my eyes.

'Eddie's not my GF,' he said.

My eyes gleamed and i spilled cocoa over my skirt in surprise. I pricked my ears.

'What?,' i asked cleaning the liquid with my hanky.

'Yeah, i made her my fake GF to get rid of Bella,' he said.

My eyes widened.

'Oh, so you were acting,' i said.

'Please don't tell this to anyone. I knew that Bella would come to you for enquiry. So i lied to you too,' he said smiling sheepishly.

'You are a pretty good liar,' i joked. 'Er- i have to go. Bye.'

'Kat wait! Please, lend me your mobile number,' he said.

My eyes gleamed and i supressed a smile. He saved it in his mobile. Once at a safe distance from his home, i started jumping madly. Eddie was not his girlfriend! I heaved a sigh of relief.

Once home, i decided to check out the library. I had safely kept the key in my drawer. I decided to try it in all the keylocks later. I started dusting the rug. Something felt strange.

I was standing in the middle of the room. I tapped the floor with my leg. I stepped aside and tapped again.

Then i stepped on the middle and started jumping on it. The sound of my footsteps sounded remote, deep. I stepped to my left and started jumping again. Here, the sound was shallow. Once again, i stepped in the middle and tapped again.

There was something underground!!!

******************************************************************************

Find out what Katherine found in the next chapter. The story will soon give you the goosebumps if you haven't got them yet.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

394K 12K 51
UNEDITED/poorly written when I was younger (needs severe editing) "Becky, I'm scared! Someone's following me and I don't think I can make it home! Pl...
4.9K 356 43
Highest ranking : #6 in horror# as on 13/3/18 This is the story of the siblings Katherine and Casper who shifted to a new city. They befriended an un...
1.1K 17 26
Katherine finds herself compelled to stay in the vicinity of the 'Murder House', drawn in by an unseen force. Even when she tries to find sanctuary a...
6K 171 6
Isabella Swan is the only daughter of Charlie Swan, the leader of the Swan Mafia Family. While out with her father, they are attacked by a rival fami...