Mending Her Soul

By Swarmayi

• Winner - The Rose Awards 2022 • 1st Runner Up - The Hawa Mahal Awards 2022 • Cover credit - @_littlebitcraz... More

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Cover
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Cover 2
Epilogue
Hey There!

Six

8.5K 737 120
By Swarmayi

Nandini was sobbing hard clutching Manik's shirt in her fist while holding him tight. Manik was rubbing her back worriedly while whispering soothing words.

"Sssh.. Shhh.. Jaan. It was just a nightmare. Nothing happened. I am here no? See, look at Manik. Koi nei hai baby. Everything is fine. Nothing will happen okay? Main hoon na, honey. I won't let anyone harm my jaan. Sssh.. calm down. Relax. Don't cry now. Bas bas. Shhh.." Manik was rocking her in his arms like a baby while kissing her forehead now and then showering all his love.

Since Manik got aware of his feelings for Nandini, he is planning to confess his love in a special way, very soon. But before that, he needs to take care of her health. It was his first priority for now. He can not rush the things when she's mentally disturbed. Because he want to make their day the happiest and a memorable one. And for that, he needed to handle her first and make her talk her past, all her fears and insecurities. He wanted her to pour her heart out in front of him without being hesitant.

Soon enough her sobs died and she looked at him like a broken kid coming out of his embrace. Manik's heart pained at her sight. Her face was all sweaty, red. Silent tears still flowing down from eyes. Messy hairs and those puffy yet pained eyes. His heart twisted inside. He gulped down his own tears giving her a faint smile and wiped her whole face with his palms.

"How much my jaan cried, hmm? See your face is all red and sweaty." Said Manik while wiping her silent tears again and again.

"Arey! Again? Enough of these tears now. Come on, I am here no? Why are you getting scared ha? Tell me?" Said Manik cupping her face.

"Ma..Manik.. door closed tha.. aap nei the. Main.. main akeli.. darkness.. I.. it.. it was paining alot.. maine.. sab ko.. bulaya.. I called you.. papa.. no.. no one came.. I was scar..red.. koi nei tha. I.. don't leave me.. Please Manik.." She pleaded with so much pain and ended up sobbing again. Manik immediately took her in his embrace.

"Sssh. No. Stop crying baby. You're not alone. Main hoon tumhare sath, tumhare paas. And see, there's no darkness. Door bhi open hai. Hmm? And you think I will ever leave you alone? Never. I will never ever leave you, jaan. I am with you always, humesha." Confessed Manik with utter honesty. Nandini looked up at his face and he smiled caressing her face.

"Humesha?" She asked. Manik nodded and pecked her forehead lovingly before answering.

"Humesha." She closed her eyes feeling the warmth of his love. Manik lied on bed taking her in his embrace and keep on patting her head. Soon she slept being tired mentally as well as due to excess crying. Manik kissed her forehead again before closing the lights and going into deep slumber.

_________________

Three days later -

"Manik, Manik uthiye."

Manik felt someone patting his shoulder. He opened his eyes slowly and found Nandini sitting beside him all ready. She gave her beautiful smile seeing him awake.

"Good Morning, Manik." Manik felt his world brightening again hearing her sweet voice with a beautiful smile. He smiled at her before wishing her the same.

"Morning, honey. You are up? And why are you all decked up? Going somewhere?" Nandini nodded her head.

"Manik, it is morning so obviously I will be up and also you have to go office. I have made your breakfast and also asked Maria to pack your lunch. And about me getting ready like this. umm.. actually, Maa ka call aaya tha. She was asking me to accompany her for shopping. So thought to go." Said Nandini. As soon Manik heard her last sentence, his face went hard.

No. Why will his wife go with that woman. He doesn't trust her even a bit with his wife. He didn't want Nandini to get hurt again because of her mother's any behavior.

"No. You won't go with her." He replied with stern expressions.

Seeing his changed furious expressions, and his tone, Nandini got scared. She misunderstood him.

Did he get angry because she agreed to go with her mother even before taking his permission? Her mother told her to ask Manik first but she being her usual self around him, forgot to ask and just announced her decision.

"Ma..Manik, are you angry? I am sorry, I agreed to her without even asking you or taking your permission. I directly informed you my decision. I am so sorry, if you don't like I won't go with Maa. I.. I will make some excuse. Don't be angry with me." Said Nandini hastily while tears brimmed in her eyes. Manik widened his eyes hearing her and immediately cupped her face wiping off her tears which fell on her cheeks.

"Hey, no jaan. Don't cry please. You're taking it all wrong. Who said I am angry? I am not angry honey and I can never be angry with my baby wify. And you don't need to take my or anyone else's permission for anything, you have all freedom here to do anything and everything on your own will considering your safety." Said Manik pulling her red nose a little. Nandini pouted narrowing her eyes.

"Then..then why did you deny for going with Maa?" Asked Nandini innocently. Manik pulled her in his embrace and sighed before answering.

"Because Einstein, I wanted to go out with you today as there wasn't any important work in office. Aman was there to handle few meetings. I thought we could spend some time together. But you spoiled my plan." Said Manik faking a sadness. Nandini looked at him.

"Haww Manik. Aapne mujhe pehle kyu nei bataya? Offo! Now what should I do? I don't want to spoil your plan Manik but if I deny Maa now then.. then she will get upset. It won't look nice." Said Nandini getting sad.

Manik knows why she doesn't want to deny her mother. Not because her mother will get upset but she would have to listen another taunts or hurtful words.

He gritted his teeth seeing her so helpless.

"It's okay Nandini. Just tell her that we-" suddenly Nandini shouted cutting Manik in between.

"Idea! Manik! Why don't you join us for shopping? Then after shopping, we will go out wherever you wish to. This way, Maa won't be upset, and we could also be together. Your wish will be fulfilled too." Said Nandini getting excited. Manik nodded before thinking for few seconds. Nandini squealed happily and kissed his cheek. Manik smiled.

"You're the best, Manik. Okay so now get ready fast till then I will inform Maa about you coming with us." Saying this she rushed out of room. Manik looked at her vanishing figure and sighed.

He knew he could have rejected her idea but then Nandini would have been sad and also her mother would have created another scene. He didn't want that. And another reason for which he agreed to go because he trust on himself that he won't let anyone hurt his wife in his presence. Not now, never ever. He would be there for her. To protect her. Always.

Soon coming out of his thoughts, he went to get freshen up.

__________________

Manik stopped their car near the mall while Nandini get down. Manik parked the car and came near her. She was talking on phone.

"Yeah. Ok Maa. We will be there. Yes, see ya." Said Nandini ending the call. Manik gave her questioning look.

"Maa ka phone tha. She asked to meet her near the xyz shop in the mall." Informed Nandini. Manik nodded.

"Okay then, let's go." Said Manik while holding her from her waist. Nandini blushed and nodded before walking away with him. Manik chuckled. Nandini gave him fake glare and turned her face to another side hiding her smile.

Soon they reached near the shop Ishani told and spotted her standing there along with Rishab. Nandini gave her beautiful smile while Manik had a stone face. Ishani eyed their position and cringed her brows seeing Manik holding Nandini from her waist in a public place. She didn't like it. But anyways smiled at them fakely while Nandini gave her a warm hug coming out of Manik's hold. Rishab greeted Manik and both hugged each other. Nandini then hugged Rishab which he reciprocated happily.

"Maa, Rishu, how are you both? And where's papa? He didn't come?" Asked Nandini. Ishani gave her smile.

"We are fine, Nandu. And your papa is as usual busy with his office stuffs so couldn't come. But I couldn't ignore." Said Ishani smiling. Nandini nodded. She then held Rishab's hand.

"Rishu, kaisa hai tu? All set to go?" Rishab nodded before answering.

"I am supercool dii. I am excited and as well as nervous. It will be very challenging. I am gonna miss you so damn much." Exclaimed Rishab. Nandini gave him small smile getting a bit emotional.

"I will miss you more, Rishu!" Said Nandini. Understanding her emotions, Rishab took her in a side hug. Manik smiled adoring their bond. When Ishani interrupted.

"Okay, I think we should hurry now. Rishu is going in the next week and he has to shop few things. Also, we arranged farewell party for him. Our relatives, his all friends, my friends, our business partners and Ritesh's friends, everyone are invited. I have to arrange many things so shopping is must. That's why this sudden shopping plan. Aur tumhe bhi toh party ke liye shopping karni hogi na Nandu?" Asked Ishani smiling. RishNan broke the hug and turned towards her. Manik clenched his fist and moved near Nandini.

"We aren't invited yet so how will she shop for the party?" Asked Manik sarcastically. Trio looked at him surprised and shocked. Ishani looked at Nandini raising her brows on which she shrugged and gave a nervous smile.

"Umm.. Maa, he is just teasing. Un..unki aadat hai. Kya Manik, aap bhi na. Don't worry, Maa. Family members ko kaisi invitation." Said Nandini slightly squeezing his hand and he sighed.

"It is okay, Nandu. Anyways, he's right. Manik beta, we were about to come but Nandini said your parents are not home and will be coming in next two days. So thought to come after that. Isi bahane unse bhi mulakat ho jayegi. Sorry if you feel offended." Said Ishani. Manik rolled his eyes but composed his posture.

"Maa, you don't-"

"It is okay, aunty. I understand. Shall we start our shopping?" Asked Manik not letting Nandini speak in between.

Ishani nodded giving him fake smile while Nandini stood their tensed. She didn't understand what happened to Manik suddenly. He was behaving weird.

"Yeah sure. Come on, Nandu." Said Ishani moving ahead expecting Nandini to walk beside her but when she didn't find her, she looked back and saw Manik holding Nandini from her waist again and she was trying to convince him to let her walk on her own. But Manik was in no mood.

"Manik, chodiye. Everyone is staring at us. Maa and Rishu is also there. What will they think? Manikkk.." Nandini whisper yelled trying to wriggle in his hold but Manik turned deaf. Rishab had a teasing smile on his face.

"Baahon ke darmiyaa, do pyaar mil rahe hain.." He sang teasing them and whistled while Nandini widened her eyes and gave him glare. Manik chuckled seeing her tinted cheeks. Ishani was irked.

"Nandu, shall we go?" She asked coldly and before Nandini could answer, Manik spoke.

"Yeah Aunty, you go ahead with Rishab. We will be following you." Said Manik faking sweetness. Nandini looked at him in disbelief. The nerve of this man!

"Sure. Come, Rishu." Said Ishani faking a smile at Manik and walked ahead.

Manik rolled his eyes seeing his mother in law walking ahead with her son. He then looked at his wife who was busy cursing him. A smile appeared on his lips hearing her cute complaints.

"Huh! Aiyyappa! Ye Manik bhi na. Aisa kaun karta hai? Maa was calling me with her and this man, he is holding me like I am gonna vanish in thin air if he left. What happened to him suddenly? Subah toh theek the. Invitation ke baare mei bhi ajeeb bol rahe the. Uff! I am going mad here. Everyone looking at us like we are a show piece. So embarrassing. Aiyappa! What must be Maa thinking now?" Nandini was muttering alone to herself. Manik chuckled which stopped her complaining session and she glared at him.

"You.. you are laughing on me? You find it funny right? Huh!" Said Nandini flaring her nose cutely. Manik pulled her towards himself a little more and leaned near her ear. Nandini gasped.

"In sab ki aadat dal lo, Mrs. Manik Malhotra. Get used to it. Because Manik Malhotra always do the things which people can not do or imagine. I am a single piece, you know. So chill. And let everyone look at us. They are adoring us because we are looking a perfect made for each other couple. What's there to get embarrassed, ah? It's good thing no? We look great together. Aren't we a couple goals?" Asked Manik winking at her while Nandini blushed smiling.

"Haayeee ! This blushing face!" Said Manik dramatically. Nandini whined hiding her face in his chest.

"Maaaniiikkkk!" Manik laughed loudly. She hitted his chest.

"Achha ok. On serious note, we should hurry or your maa will come looking for us over here." Said Manik while Nandini giggled before walking away with him.

__________________

They were in clothes section for selecting some clothes for Rishab. After his shopping, Ishani asked them to show her sarees and started looking for it. Manik was with Rishab and helping him to check if all clothes are there. While looking around, Nandini's eyes stuck on a red coloured gown which was so beautiful. Her eyes twinkled.

"Maa, look there. That red gown is so pretty. I wanna buy that. I will wear it on farewell party." Said Nandini happily. Ishani looked at the gown and then glared at Nandini.

"Nandu, behave. You're a married woman now. A daughter in law of a reputed family. Grow up. Wearing gown in such a big party, won't look good. See here, pick some saree from this. It is a beautiful collection." Said Ishani making Nandini sad. Unwillingly she selected a saree for herself. This scene was witnessed by Manik who was gritting his teeth.

After shopping was done they came out when suddenly Manik spoke-

"You all go ahead, I will be back in a five minutes." Ishani and Rishab nodded while Nandini held his hand.

"What happened, Manik? All okay?" Asked Nandini getting worried. Manik smiled.

"All okay my tension queen. I have forget my mobile inside, I will be back soon. Relax." Nandini smiled and nodded while Manik went inside not before kissing her forehead. She blushed as her mother and brother were watching them. Rishab adored the couple while Ishani didn't like it. After Manik went, she come to Nandini.

"What is all this, Nandu? Don't you feel shame doing all this infront of all. We are at public place, atleast consider that. Clinging to each other, kissing and all don't look good. Think about our reputation. What will people think? This girl is romancing freely infront of us." Scolded Ishani on which tears came in Nandini's eyes. Rishab felt angry hearing his mother. He was about snap back when they heard.

"People will say the girl is romancing with her own husband, not any random guy." Said Manik entering in the scene. Nandini hurriedly wiped her tears not wanting him to see. While Ishani gave him a nervous smile.

"Manik beta.. I was just-"

"People will say, how lovely couple is this! Made for each other. Anyways, the thing is I really don't care what people says or don't, what my family thinks or not. I am very much comfortable with what I am doing. Nandini is my legally wedded wife so I have full right to do anything and everything with her I wish to. Similarly, Nandini have equal rights to do whatever she feels like. It is our personal matter. A husband-wife thing. So it really doesn't matter what anyone else think about us. I hope you got my point, aunty. And what's wrong if they stare at us? Aren't we adorable enough?" Asked Manik giving her a sweet smile while pulling Nandini in a side hug.

Ishani, though got angry hearing his answers, couldn't reply back. She just nodded giving a forceful smile. Rishab pressed his lips to hide his smile. He was happy that his sister got husband like Manik.

Nandini was looking at Manik without blinking. Her heart was filled with a different emotions. She felt different yet beautiful. She felt protected. For the very first time, someone spoke for her. Stood by her side. She was overwhelmed.

Screen freezes.

_________________

Date of publishing - 14 April 2021.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.9K 805 6
I am Craving for the cheesiest Pizza ever! But the problem is its almost half past 2 in the morning and Pizza is not too good for my health, but I wa...
1.1M 108K 65
****Can be read as a general fiction. If you want an arrange marriage tale with humor, emotions and love, hop in right away**** Love is supposed to b...
305K 28.5K 67
29/08/2020- 07/06/2022 Nandani Sharma, typical Indian girl next door who lived in Bangalore with her Dida and younger brother Rishabh. Her parents di...
478K 30.2K 50
This story continues after musicana where manik left nandini because of dhruv. So tune in to read to know where destiny will take these two & there s...