Newfound Family

By kewlkatherine

After finding her twin brother dead, little Wanda Maximoff is so heartbroken she can barely even comprehend a... More

Author's Note!
100% Sure
Black Beauty
He's Still in Your Heart
Breakfast & Braids
New Friends
I Love You
I Promise
Wanda the Saviour
Coma Confessions
There Has to be Another Way
Wanda the Saviour, Again
I'll Say it Again, I Love You
Don't Leave Me
Peter's Prank Spree
Middle Names
Labour Day Fun
Fireworks
Pinky Promises
Compromises
Happy Halloween
Angels & Misfortune
Motherly Instincts
Restrained
Power
Memories
Hope
Prison Break
Aftermath
Reflection

Rainboots

2K 66 9
By kewlkatherine

"What do you think about going shopping today, Wanda? We need to get you some new clothes and some other things, and I think it would be good to show you around a bit."

It was the morning after Nat, Clint, and Wanda got back from the farm. The three of them, along with Steve, Tony, and Pepper, were sitting at the kitchen table eating breakfast.

The farm had helped Wanda gain so much confidence, and she wasn't nearly as nervous to be around the Avengers. They had even all watched a few episodes of Full House together last night. It was one of the sitcoms Wanda hadn't seen before, and she had loved every minute of it. She stayed through the whole time they watched, and she didn't even feel uncomfortable with everyone in the room.

Wanda didn't know how she felt about shopping though. She hadn't been to the city in America yet, but from what she could tell on tv, New York was filled with people, and that made her nervous.

"We could drive to a mall on the outskirts so that it wouldn't be so busy." Said Nat.

Wanda looked around, staring at everyone individually. Steve stopped mid-bite of his Lucky Charms to playfully wink at her.

"I know it might be a little scary, Wanda. But I think it would do you some good to see the city. Plus, I want you to be able to pick out your own things." Nat continued, taking a swig of coffee. "What do you say? Maybe Pepper would like to come along?" Nat looked over to Pepper, who gave a guilty shake of her head.

"Sorry guys. I've got meetings back-to-back all day."

"I could come along if you want." Steve piped up, taking a swig of Clint's orange juice, which reward him with a shove.

"I haven't been to a mall in ages, I forget what they look like. Plus, I'd do anything to ride in Nat's Porsche."

They all laughed. Nat rolled her eyes.

"Sure, I guess you can come. But we can't take the Porsche. It doesn't have room for a booster seat."

"I don't need a booster seat!" Wanda protested. She had seen it on TV once. Something kids in America used to stay safe in the car. But she wasn't that little, was she?

Steve put his and Wanda's bowls in the sink. He turned to Nat.

"Firstly, what do you mean I guess," he turned to Wanda. "Secondly, I already bought the booster seat Nat requested. It was very specific too. I think she was reading a mommy blog." Clint and Tony busted out laughing, so did Nat.

"I was not!" She smacked Steve on the arm. "Laura just gave me the name of the one Lila has."

Wanda pouted. She knew she deserved it sometimes, but she hated being treated like a baby.

"Don't worry, baby witch." Clint noticed her facial expression. "Nat isn't the only over-protective parent out there. Your Auntie Laura is still forcing Cooper into a booster seat. He barely even fits in it."

Wanda smiled at the Auntie Laura. She liked it, it made her feel a part of their family.

"Okay. Can I get rain boots?"

"Rain boots? Why?" Nat laughed. It was so random, considering she barely even had enough clothing.

"Like on Full house. When they played outside in the rain."

Nat shrugged. "I don't see why not. Anything else, in particular, you would want to get?" She wanted Wanda to be excited about this.

Wanda shook her head.

"Alright then," She grabbed Steve's keys off the wall, tossing them to him.

"Let's go, you're driving Cap."

Steve laughed. "Yes, ma'am. Come on Wanda! Let's beat Nat to the garage."

They ran out, with Nat rolling her eyes behind them.

"You're such a kid, Steve." She muttered, laughing.

---

Wanda didn't remember the last time she was in a car. She had spent the whole week at the Barton's without really leaving their property, except to go on family hikes. Before that, well, she was at HYDRA with Pietro, and she definitely didn't get to ride in a car there.

When they were all seated, Wanda waited for them to move, but they never did. Nat turned back to look at her.

"Are you going to buckle your seatbelt?"

"Seat belt?"

"The strap beside your shoulder, just bring it over your body and click it in place. It took Wanda a few awkward moments, but she finally got it.

After a few minutes into the ride, she had decided she didn't particularly like it. It reminded her of the restraints at HYDRA, but Nat said it was the law, that its purpose was to keep her safe, so she didn't complain.

That's what Strucker said at HYDRA, too.

Wanda snapped out of her thoughts, her eyes flashing red for only a moment. She looked up at the rear-view mirror but was relieved to see neither Nat nor Steve was watching her. They were too caught up in their conversation about the Barton farm.

Wanda focused on the passing trees and cars on the highway. She found it relaxing, how they were moving so fast, but she could barely see it. Nat noticed her amazement.

"So, Wanda. How do you like Steve's truck?"

Wanda looked up. "I like it. I don't remember ever riding in a car before. It's fun."

Steve looked at her in the rear-view mirror. "I could go faster but Nat would probably kill me."

Wanda giggled. She liked Steve, he made her laugh.

"Don't you dare, Rogers," Nat popped her sunglasses in the overhead compartment. "Imagine the officer's face when they pull over Captain America for speeding. Besides, we are already here."

They pulled into a parking lot, which was thankfully not too busy. It was a weekday morning after all.

"Don't you think people will recognize you guys?" Wanda said, hopping out of the truck. She didn't realise how far down the drop was, and she lost her balance.

"Are you okay?" Steve hoisted her off the ground, and Wanda felt slightly embarrassed. Steve ignored it, answering her question from before.

"I highly doubt it. Most people here on Tuesday afternoons are old people. Most times, people are too busy to even pay attention. Plus, without our uniforms, it's harder to draw attention."

That turned out to be, surprisingly to Wanda, very true. Not one person recognized Steve or Nat. Wanda also didn't see any other kids her age around, which probably was the reason why. It was still mid-June, and she had overheard some older women talking about how it was the last week of school for New York City kids.

The trio headed around each store, picking out some essentials that Wanda needed; clothing shoes, bedding, and of course, her rain boots.

They headed into a Walmart, and Steve headed straight to the men's clothing section. Wanda and Nat ran behind him, confused about why he was rushing.

Steve sighed, putting his head in his hands. "I'm going to kill him. I am going to kill Tony Stark.

"Why?" Wanda asked. Steve pulled away from the clothing rack to reveal a T-shirt. To Wanda, it looked like a typical Avenger's T-Shirt. Most of the people back at the compound bought their merchandise as a joke, and this didn't seem any different from the ones they had.

It was a plain blue shirt that was supposed to look like Captain America's uniform.

"I don't see anything wrong with it," Nat said, holding up the shirt.

Steve sighed. "Turn it around."

Nat howled with laughter. Wanda didn't get it. On the back, it had some words on the bottom of the shirt. She took a moment to try and read it out loud, something Lila and Nat had been teaching her during their stay at the Barton Farm. It wasn't as hard as she thought. Much like Sokovian, once she learned the letters and the sounds, it came easily, especially because it was her second language.

"Auh-mer-ih-ca... America's...Ass?" Wanda read it out loud, and Nat laughed even harder. Steve looked like he was ready to leave.

"Who would want to buy that!" Wanda took it from Nat, getting a closer look.

Steve huffed, putting it back on the rack.

"About a month or so ago, Tony showed me his and Pepper's new designs for Avenger's merchandise. He promised me this one was supposed to be a joke. I can't believe I thought he was telling the truth."

Steve tried to herd them away from the rack of clothing, but it didn't work. Nat snagged a shirt, putting it into the cart.

"You really thought I was going to leave without buying this?"

Steve rolled his eyes. He knew he couldn't talk her out of it.

"Why you would want to waste your money on that garbage is beyond me, but be my guest."

Nat snorted. "The majority of the money is just going to go back to us anyways."

Steve took one last look at the rack of him and sighed. "Come on, let's just go before I buy the whole thing to prevent other people from seeing them."

"You already know they're going to be a hit, I don't know why you're even trying. People love America's Ass."

Nat bent down, whispering into Wanda's ear. "Do you dare me to wear this to supper tonight? Steve will die of embarrassment. It will be hilarious."

Wanda nodded, trying to hold in her laughter, but Steve noticed almost immediately.

"Hey, what's so funny?" He asked, grabbing two boxes of Lucky Charms from the passing aisle.

Nat shook her head. "You will see, my friend. You will see."

That night at dinner, Nat did in fact, stroll casually into the kitchen with the shirt on.

At first, no one noticed, but Wanda gave it away. She went around the table to everyone individually as she set the table, as per Nat's request. Wanda tried so hard to act normal, but Sam, Clint, and Tony noticed she was

Steve noticed, narrowing his eyes at her playfully. "You are a little witch, aren't you?" He said good-naturedly.

Wanda gave a mischievous grin in answer. "Nat told me to do it."

"Uh-huh, of course she did," Steve said flatly.

After everyone sat down and started eating, Tony was the first one to mention the shirt.

"I see you saw my newest addition to Steve's Signature Collection.'"

He turned to the rest of the table. "Buy them while they're hot, only fifteen bucks at Walmart."

"Who wants to take a trip to Walmart with me tomorrow?" Sam asked the table.

Everyone raised their hands, and Steve put his head down on the table.

"Imagine they're all sold out? That would be hilarious!" Clint said. Laughter filled the dining room from everyone except Steve. He did not think it was funny.

After dinner, Wanda and Nat washed the dishes. Wanda stood up on a chair to peer out the window at the ground below.

"Look! It's raining!"

Nat looked down below at the street, where it was, in fact, a torrential downpour.

"Can I take my new rainboots outside?"

Nat shrugged good-heartedly.

"I don't see why not, but if it starts to thunder or lightning, we head straight back inside, deal?"

Wanda hopped off the chair. "Deal!"

Nat grabbed Steve's raincoat from the closet. She handed Wanda her own from years ago when it rained on the 4th of July.

They were just on their way out the door when Steve waltzed into the kitchen.

"You guys do realise it's pouring outside, right?"

Nat pulled her boots on "What gave it away, Sherlock? Maybe the way we are dressed?"

Steve rolled his eyes.

"You should come with us." Nat looked up, from her boots, smiling.

"We're going to jump in the puddles!" Wanda bounced on the spot. He couldn't say no to that face.

Steve laughed, turning to Nat. "So, you actually want me to come this time? No 'I guesses?'" He mocked her.

Nat chucked him a raincoat from the closet. "Shut up before I change my mind, Rogers."

Steve gave a mock salute. "Yes, Agent Romanoff." He looked down. "By the way, you're wearing my coat."

"So? I'm wearing your shirt too." Nat said, raising her eyebrows.

"I hope you get struck by lightning."

They all laughed, heading outside into the pouring rain.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.8K 357 40
Natasha thinks she's lost all her hope. Alone in the red room she feels like a no one, like no one needs her. That's until she meets a little girl...
28.8K 1.2K 68
Y/N has been in HYDRA Captivity since he was a child, suffering the pain of the experiments and abuse, but he hasn't been alone, he has been sharing...
68.6K 1K 54
When the Stark shell hit the Maximoff family weren't the only ones in the building. Anastasia Romanoff, sister of Natasha, was on a mission for the...
98.8K 3.7K 98
"𝐈𝐟 𝐞𝐱𝐞𝐫𝐜𝐢𝐬𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐬𝐮𝐩𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐲 𝐝𝐨 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐧 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐰𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐠𝐫𝐨...