Coma Confessions

Wanda woke up with a start the next morning. She sat up rather quickly and looked around. She had forgotten about yesterday's events until she realized she was still in the medical lab. She had fallen asleep with Nat, who wasn't in the bed anymore, but in a chair beside Steve's bed.

Steve was still unconscious, and the doctors were running in and out of the room, checking his monitors and changing his head bandages.

Nat noticed Wanda get out of bed. She hastily wiped any trace of tears, hoping the little girl didn't notice.

"Hi, milaya." She smiled, only taking her eyes off of Steve for a moment.

"How is he doing?" Wanda asked tiredly. She stifled a yawn.

Nat sighed and pulled Wanda onto her lap.

Wanda hesitated, shaking her head. "You're hurt. I'll just stand."

Nat invited her back on.

"I heal fast. One of the perks of being the Black Widow. I'm feeling much better." She said. She was definitely still in pain, but significantly less than yesterday.

"I don't know how Steve is doing, honey. Dr. Cho won't tell me. She's calling a team meeting for updates instead. Everyone is on their way down, we're supposed to meet in the waiting room."

Wanda nodded silently. She really hoped Steve would be okay. He had to be. He was Captain America.

Nat pulled Wanda off her lap and slowly got up, wincing slightly.

"I thought you said you were feeling better?" Wanda asked, noticing Nat's pain.

Nat smiled weakly.

"Better being the keyword. I have to go to the team meeting. You're welcome to come if you'd like, or you can stay with Peter. He should be in the workshop."

Wanda took Nat's hand. She wasn't ready to leave her. Not yet. Not after she almost died, and Wanda had to experience it.

"I want to come with you."

Wanda took one last look at Steve. He looked pretty much the same as yesterday. Pale, bruised. The only difference was that all the blood and dirt was cleaned off and he was hooked up to a bunch of different machines.

When the pair got to the waiting room, everyone else was waiting for them, including Dr. Cho and Bruce.

Dr. Cho took one look at Wanda, then gave Nat a separate look.

"Wanda, I think you should go wait in the other room. You don't have to listen." Bruce said, picking up on Dr. Cho and Nat's exchanged looks.

Wanda's heart dropped. Did that mean the news was bad?

"I want to stay here, can't I, Nat?" She looked up at Nat, who wasn't listening. She was still processing Bruce's words, probably wondering the same thing Wanda was.

Tears rimmed her eyes, and she blinked them away.

"Maybe Bruce is right, milaya. Why don't you go get breakfast with Peter? I'm sure he wouldn't mind." Her voice cracked.

Wanda wasn't hungry. She hated being a kid. Everyone treated her like she was normal. Vulnerable. Her eyes flashed red for a second, and Nat noticed.

"I'll come to get you when the meeting is over."

Wanda obeyed her, although reluctantly. She exited the room and headed next door, a mix of fear of being alone, even if just for a moment while she walked to the workshop, and anger; that they didn't take her seriously enough that she couldn't sit in on some stupid meeting. Everyone told her she saved Steve's life, but when it actually mattered, she was treated like a baby.