Dear Boomerang

By anklestrings

Sixteen-year-old Harper Henson's life has been going well. Moving to a different city to study with her best... More

Dear Boomerang
Two [Dear Tire]
Three [Dear Song]
Four [Dear Escape]
Five [Dear Sinking Ships]
Six [Dear Photo Booth]
Seven [Dear Double Dates]
Eight [Dear Armcast]
Nine [Dear Still]
Ten [Dear Roadtrip]
Eleven [Dear Goodnights]
Twelve [Dear Home]
Thirteen [Dear Kitchen]
Fourteen [Dear Chevrolet]
Fifteen [Dear Secrets]
Sixteen [Dear Memories]
Seventeen [Dear Sidewalks]
Notes

One [Dear Nameless]

698 32 5
By anklestrings

New year parties at university dorms aren't as peaceful as i thought it would be.

It was actually the opposite of what i have expected. Somehow, it looks like a frat party on friday nights. How are they even able to sneak in alcoholic drinks? I stare at the disposable cups littered on the floor just beside my foot.

"Harper!" Hearing a familiar voice calling out, my head snapped up to see the tangerine hair of my bestfriend; Lilly. Her rare but naturally tangerine hair made her depictable from the swarm of people at our apartment building.

"Yeah?" I ask, taking one last glance at the red cups, scrunching my up nose in disgust.

She laughs at my reaction.

"Why did the Dorm Manager let them bring alcohol inside?" I query, furrowing my brows.

"I don't know." She shrugs, waving her hand dismissively.

"Anyway, i want us to start a new year tradition." She grins, shaking a cork bottle in front of me.

"What's that for?"

"I want to make a New Year's-" but i cut her off before she could finish her sentence.

"Resolution?" I bluntly answer. "No. Just let me talk Harper." She fakes a mad face and i zip my mouth shut.

"A New Year's wishlist." She grinns.

Wishlist? I have tons on my list, so i guess i need more New Years?

Let's see, my wishes are: To go to a The Gone-Under gig or concert, to be able to talk to Howarrd Croue-leadsinger of The Gone-Under, meet a novelist or a writer, be an inspiration to someone, and... Umm... Be with him again?

I guess i do want to be with him again. I miss him a lot. I can't help but think about him at random moments. What he might be doing right now, does he think of me as much as I think of him, had he already moved on?

"Earth to Harper?" Lilly says as she shakes her hand in front of my face.

"Uh, yeah?" I reply, zoning out was always me.

"You have to write your wishlist in a small paper and let's put it in this bottle. Then, by the next new year let's check if our wishes did come true." She squeals. "Now go! Go get us some papers!" She literally shoves me away.

Rolling my eyes, I walk to my room. Yes, Lilly and I are roommates.

I found a post-it notepad and got two sheets and I reach out for the pen.

Lilly is standing impatiently at the porch.

"Here." I say, whilst handing her a pink post-it. She gets out a pen from her jean pocket and starts writing her wish.

I also start writing mine.

Wishes:
-Go to a The Gone-Under concert
-Have a conversation with Howarrd Croue
-Meeet a novelist/writer
-be somebody's inspiration
-A chance to be with him again.

"Done!" I proudly state as i rolled my note and place it inside the empty wine bottle that Lilly was holding.

"Me too!" She says and rolls her note and puts it inside the bottle. Sealing the bottle with a cork.

"Promise me one thing, Lilly."

She groaned. "What?"

"Don't read my wishlist, okay? I won't read yours too,"

"Whatever you say." She shrugs, rolling her eyes.

"C'mon, they're gonna start the countdown any minute now." I grab her right wrist and led her out the front porch, where the people have crowded at.

"Ten," They start.

I look at Lilly and she smiles.

"Nine" we join the countdown this time.

"Eight"

I close my eyes and count in my mind.

Seven,

Six,

Five,

Four,

Three,

Two,

I really wish to get the chance to see him again.

After chanting my wish, Lilly turns to look at me and hugs me.

"Happy New Year!"

"Too bad we don't have a new year's kiss, uh?" I playfully made kissing noises, puckering my lips out to her and she laughs.

And the rest of the night—well, morning perhaps—went by smoothly.

I go back to my room to sleep.

But at one-thirty, Lilly started bugging me.

"Harper!" She commands again and again.

I softly mumbled "mhm?"

"Harper!" She tries again. Well God bless America for having a such persistent citizen.

I sit on my bed, crossed legged.

"What?" My eyes widen at her holding up a yellow post-it.

My post-it!

"Who's him?" She seriously asks.,

"Hey, give me that!" I demand, standing up and trying to get my wishlist from her.

"Not until you tell me who this guy is."

"Fine, but you tell me what's in your wishlist first." I smirk.

"Fine. Well, i've only got one wish and it is for my boyfriend to live here at Miltreeve. With us." She confidently answers.

"You have a boyfriend?! And you didn't tell me?!" I freak out. "I keep telling you about him, but you keep zoning out." She defends.

"What's his name?" I ask. "Names are not important. Now, who's him?" She counters.

"Names are not important." I bit back.

"Tell me about him," she smirks.

"Fine!" I say in defeat.

"Before you and I saw each other again, which was summer after junior high. At eighth grade, I met the guy. We're together till first year of junior high. I left him without warning, without goodbyes, without saying anything. I left him to study here at Miltreeve with you." I explain unclearly and by passing uncontrollably fast.

Her brows crunches up in pure confusion.

I sigh exasperatedly.

And I explained everything.

Here's the thing,

Lilly and I have known each other ever since. Though, at fifth grade she and her family left for her to study at Miltreeve. I was left at Caiwood.

Believe me, it was a total torture at first since she's the only friend i have but it changed when he came. I was in eighth grade, and so was he.

He became my closest friend, until it turned to something greater. We spent every second together.

Then one day, a letter from Lilly came. It was a letter to invite me to study with her. I was so excited that leaving him didn't even crossed my mind. I was positive with it.

I didn't told him anything about it. Days passed until its time to go, i don't want to say goodbye to him, tears will mark scars in his heart. He had a rough past, but the truth is that i didn't want to say goodbye (since i promised not to) to him because i want to see him again, hold him again, hug him tightly.

So I left.

It's been a year since i last saw him.

Now you might be wondering who is him? Just like Lilly said: Names Are Not Important!

"Why did you keep it from me?" She pouts, pulling off a cute face.

"How is narrating my past lovelife supposed to help me move on?" I sarcastically reply.

"It might though." She says, trying to find a way to outsmart me.

"You're never gonna outsmart a girl like me." I smirk.

"Playing geek, aren't we? I know that you hate math!" She scoffs, waving her hands in a matter of fact-ly.

"So what's math got to do with this?" I furrow my brows in confusion.

"A girl like you plus a boy like him is equal to a perfect match!" She moves her chin upward and waves her hand like joining a pageant (which she might have done before, by the way) assumingly satisfied with her come-back line.

An engrossed expression crawls its way to my face. I yawn and say:"And that was supposed to entertain me, because?" Teasingly.

"Go to sleep and dream of your guy without name." She walks to her bed across from mine and pulls on the blanket.

"Dream of your guy without a name too." I answer.

Little did i know what was really going on...

__________

Hello! So, i finally posted the first ever chapter for Dear Boomerang. This chapter is unedited, Sorry for the errors. Leave your comments and vote your little hearts out. :)

x layne

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Nothing to lose By H

Teen Fiction

267K 7.4K 39
My best friend Greyson McNamara and I have been partners in crime for a while now. Pranks, sneaking out to go to parties, joy riding in our parents'...
5K 108 9
El hasn't always had the best life. Her mother passed away when she was fourteen years old, and she only has her brother to look after since their da...
162 1 25
A struggling teen boy accidentally bumps into his ex-best friend, who happens to be his old crush as well. Will they become friends again? Will the s...
314K 2.8K 26
Hazel and Matt were best friends when they were younger. But that faded away since high school, all of the sudden they hated eachother after an embar...