The Vampire Chronicles -- End...

By Talon07

More

Prologue: Endless
Ch.1: Arrival
Ch. 2: Crescent University
Ch. 3: Deja Vu
Ch. 4: Well Along Came an Angel. Well, Sort of...
Ch. 5: I Won't Tell If You Won't
Ch. 6: Timeless Love
Ch. 7: The Valhahns
Ch. 8: The Valhahns (part 2)
Ch. 10: The Enemy of My Enemy Is Unfortunately My Friend
Ch. 11: Butterfly Effect
Ch. 12: Blood Feud-Magnus
Ch. 13: Blood Feud-Magnus (Part 2)
Ch. 14: Ashes To Ashes, Dust To Dust...
Ch. 15: Dance With the Devil of The Night

Ch. 9: Where It All Began

69 1 0
By Talon07

Editor's Note: The amount of reads is amazing! If only the votes could be the same way...

***********************************

We were downstairs in a flash. He had taken us to the same dining room that held the fancy dinnerware on the long table, now filled with food that could feed a community. My jaw dropped, I was conscious enough to catch the water trying to slip from my lips, my stomach groaning in anticipation. Salem laughed quietly, hearing my stomach's complaint I assumed.

"There's so much. I can't possibly finish all of this by myself." I confessed.

"Well they didn't know what you preferred and tried asking me if I could read your thoughts to get a better choice of meals. I declined naturally. I don't want to intrude in your mind without your permission on personal matters. I'd rather do it the old fashion way and observe with my own eyes." He explained, smiling his adorable smile. 

I appreciated him for not reading my thoughts as freely as he could. He then pulled a chair for me and offered the seat to me. I was flattered, and sat down, now being pushed gently toward the table. Salem then took the plate in front of me and moved towards a honey baked ham. 

"Do you care for ham? If not there are other proteins. Simply point and I'll arrange the meal for you, love." He mused.

"I like ham, and I'll try whatever catches my interest, and everything else..." I said bashfully, less ashamed due to me giving into my stomach's desires. 

Salem chuckled lightly as he retrieved a piece of each dish from the ones I designated. By the end my plate was filled with assorted vegetables and fruit. He laid it before me and then sat next to me, observing. I tried to behave myself, eating politely, ignoring the instinct to stuff myself full. My thoughts were clear intentionally, keeping Salem from catching any hint of my restraint from hunger. 

He may not have had access to my mind when it came to actions, but his own instinct kicked in as he laid a hand upon my free one.

"You're keeping something from me. Your mind is never this clear and unreadable. What are you hiding?" He asked smirking.

"Nothing important. I'm just trying not to look like a complete pig." I giggled, chewing politely. 

Salem leaned forward, resting his chin in his palm, his gaze seem to be searching for something in my eyes. 

"What is it?" I asked cautiously.

"You're beautiful." He complimented.

I gulped hard. His response was not what I was expecting to hear.

"Where did that come from?" I asked. 

Salem ignored my question rising to walk to a pitcher, taking a wine glass before him, and poured water into it. He smiled and made his way towards me, placing the glass in front of me. I took it generously, drinking slowly and awaiting an answer. He didn't have to read my mind to know that I hated being ignored.

"I feel you shouldn't worry about how I view you. There's nothing you could do that would repulse me. You eat delicately naturally. It becomes painfully obvious when you try too hard." He chuckled, showing his brilliant white teeth as he smiled at me. 

I couldn't help but smile shyly back at him. He took his place at my side as he did before, returning to that same pose, observing.

"You make it hard not to be worried. The way you're studying me is a bit intense." I noted. Salem's eyebrow raised slightly.

"Oh?" He mused, now intrigued. 

"Yes. It's like you're seeing right into my soul. Didn't your mother ever tell you it was rude to stare?" I mocked, now smiling and taking a small portion of ham in my fork, and placed it in my mouth.

"I don't mean to be rude, I find you interesting is all. I'm memorizing your patterns to heart." He explained.

"Why are you memorizing my patterns?" I questioned with a stifled expression.

"You are my lover. I must dedicate myself to know every little detail about you. I hope you'll do the same with me. You never know, one day knowing each other so well may save one of our lives. You should think about that." He recommended, smiling serene. 

He brushed my hair with his hand and then my cheek. Every nerve ending in my body jolted and was automatically responding to his touch. My heart was pounding frantically as it always did when Salem touched me.

"I can't say you're wrong about that. I want to get to know you more. I..." I trailed off my sentence. 

My thoughts brought up Corvenus and Trinity's relationship. They were so in love, it radiated all over them. An ancient love that dated back to God knows when. I wonder if I would have that with Salem. He then leaned my way, gently tracing his nose across my cheek and then his lips giving me a soft, chilling kiss.

"It'll come true." He promised. 

I froze in place. I had forgotten yet again that Salem had access to my thoughts when he chose to glimpse in my mind. He chuckled lightly and gave me another cool kiss on the same cheek. I would never grow used to his frosty kisses. They, ironically, set me on fire.

"Would you like to know about their history?" He asked enthusiastically.

"Yes, I'd like that a lot." I responded eagerly. 

I placed the silverware down and rose from my seat, stretching. I felt Salem's cold arms wrap around my waist, resting his head upon my stomach. My arms folded around him instinctively, I began rubbing through his silk ebony hair. This must have put him in a state of great ease, he made a sound of relief and his grip became tighter, not uncomfortable in the least. 

"Note to self, Salem loves having his hair stroked." I giggled to myself and was joined in laughter by Salem.

"You're learning," He said proudly. "We'll be on our way to Corvenus and Trinity. They can tell you the story of their lives better than I could."

"What about all this food that was prepared for me? I feel it may be rude if I left it unfinished." I complained.

"It was prepared to make it easier for you to have variety. It's already been taken care of." He motioned his head towards the table, as I turned, the table was as it was when I first saw it. 

Everything was in its natural order. All of the assorted food was gone, spotless. I turned to Salem for an explanation.

"My family is very large. We are royalty, and each member has their responsibilities. We have cooks for special human occasions such as yourself. Cooking takes time of course, but cleaning is the easiest. You enjoyed the meal and satisfied your hunger. That's all that matters. When we have more time, I'll introduce you to the rest of the family."

"There's more?" I whimpered. Salem laughed hysterically.

"I mentioned royal family, remember? You'll hear the rest from Corvenus." He assured.

Now taking my hand, we walked out of the dining room. He guided me through the kitchen which was decorated in neon silver marble, having an array of kitchenware and a platinum refrigerator which I was sure none of the family members bothered to go through, all except little Amyria. The Valhahn's household was truly magnificent and very human. We passed through a double sided doorway and had entered another set of the house that must have been Amyria's playground. An entire living room dedicated to her. Countless toys, a mini playground with a swing set and slide, and monkey bars. This living room was enormous. I wondered if there were more children like Amyria or if she played with vampire relatives of her child-like age. Afterwards, we turned into a corridor that led to a single door. Salem halted immediately, staring at the door intently.

"What's wrong?" I asked cautiously. My gaze shot up to meet Salem's, but he was more focused on the door ahead.

"Nothing. Father felt our presence and simply asked what we wanted. I already asked his permission to escort you to him personally so you can ask about his love life." Salem smiled faintly, now looking at me, his smile now affectionate. I gasped.

"But I don't know how to ask him. I thought you would ask for me." I complained. 

Salem laughed softly, stretching his arm towards the door, gesturing me to go on. I didn't move an inch. His expression then became serious, protective.

"No harm will come of you asking. He won't be offended." He promised, placing a kiss on my forehead. It made me exhale deeply. I didn't realize I was holding my breath.

"Okay... Hold my hand?" I practically begged. 

Salem smiled warmly, and I found his cold hand willingly embracing mine, now leading me to the door. Without knocking, Salem went through with me in hand, my grip tightened. 

Corvenus was sitting in a mahogany leather seat behind a desk filled with books. In fact, the entire room was a miniature sized library. His smile was welcoming, his youth, devastatingly perfect. He rose to greet us, bowing his head slightly. Salem and I returned the gesture bowing in return.

"I see your hunger is satisfied, Victoria. I do hope you've enjoyed the meal we prepared so carefully for you." 

"Oh yes. It was delicious. I really enjoyed myself. Compliments to the chef. And please, call me Vicky." I offered.

"Vicky it is then. So, what brings you to me? Salem has told me you have something important you'd like to ask me." Corvenus directed.

"Yes. Well... um... I wanted to know how you and Lady Trinity... became lovers. I know I have no right to ask." I admitted, my head lowered in shame.

I then felt a familiar, slender finger gently press at the bottom of my chin and lifted it slowly. Trinity had come out of the blue, her smile so intoxicating and innocent.

"There is no shame in asking of our past, my sweet child. Corvenus and I are not embarrassed to tell our ancient tale to you." She then went to her beloved's side, taking his hand. 

Salem had pulled a seat for me in front of Corvenus's desk and offered me to sit. I made my way, sitting, as he remained standing by my side. His presence made it easier to remain calm. 

"Where should we begin, dear?" Trinity looked to Corvenus curiously for a decision. 

"It's always best to start from the very beginning, when I was an fledgling vampire, but that story in itself takes far too long to tell. How about I begin when I was in the prime of my youth at Salem's age? It was when I first came to you, my love." Corvenus spoke affectionately. Trinity's smile lit the entire room.

"I never grow tired of hearing the tale of our romance. A perfect choice, my love." She practically sung to her husband. 

Corvenus then took his seat and sat comfortably.

"The year was 761 A.D, I was around 251 at the time, traveling with a small coven I formed through my early stage as a vampire. We were in unknown lands, searching for more of our kind. It was very rare to find vampires during that time. Secrecy has been the top priority since the dawn of time." He explained. 

Corvenus leaned back against his chair, folding his hands together, now reminiscing in what he called his youth and smiled with delight. I inched towards the desk slightly, so intrigued and wanting to hear more of his ancient tale.

"That is amazing you can trace back to your past so clearly." I complimented. 

Corvenus's smile revealed a set of glorious white teeth, appreciative to my praise.

"We vampires never lose our memories. No matter how long the sands of time carry us. Each second is cherished for eternity." He boast proudly. 

That made me recall when Salem said he'd memorize all of my patterns to heart and made me flush red. I felt the chill of Salem's hand stroke my cheek, he must have heard my thoughts.

"As I was saying," Corvenus politely interrupted our moment of affection. 

"I led my coven to a village, where we planned to satisfy our thirst. It had been weeks since our last feeding and we were growing weak. Though vampires do not die of starvation, we certainly wish death upon ourselves for the agony we endure without satisfying the craving." He said bitterly. 

I swallowed hard as he explained the undeniable thirst. He continued on.

"As we came to the village, it was ravaged, burning to the ground. So many villagers were scattering about like wild deer, being disrupted by a monstrous predator, surprisingly not one of our kind. A guild of thieves and murderers were killing off every man and child they set eyes on, taking only the women captive. Normal circumstances would have been for my coven and I to evacuate in order to keep ourselves from exposure. That night, it all changed." His voice was smooth and serene. 

He looked to Trinity, who placed her hand in his and lightly kissed it.

"You saw Trinity the night the village was being burned to the ground." This was no question I asked, it was complete assurance. 

Corvenus lit up and looked to Salem with approving satisfaction.

"Son, you have a very sharp lover. Yes, I saw her. I've never encountered a human who appealed to me in the centuries I lived as a vampire at that time. I only considered them a part of our food chain. But Trinity was different from any human I had encountered. She was already wounded from a head injury, her blood back then as a human was the most invigorating scent I had ever smelled. I had to have her all for myself and no one else. I gave order to my coven to eradicate the guild and spare the innocents. We would only satisfy our thirst with the wicked. Trinity, however, was a special exception. I disposed of her attacker quickly, in lack of a better term. I dare not give you the details after you just ate, Vicky." He insisted.

"I understand completely." I nodded in response. I was glad he left the dark details out.

"After I saved her, I began to approach her. She showed more bravery towards me than the man who tried to kidnap her. We stood face to face, admiring one another in the pale moon light. I was struck by her beauty, the thirst, relentlessly setting my throat a fire, wanting me to quench it with the warmth of her blood..." Corvenus now lowered his head in shame grimacing, placing his hand over himself as Salem did when it seemed he had a migraine. I now knew where that trait came from. Salem looked at me and gave a faint smile. Yet again invading my thoughts.

Trinity placed her delicate lips upon her lover's cheek and with the inspiring glamour, smiled appreciatively.

"You always get sensitive when you tell that part of the story, dearly beloved. You've nothing to be ashamed of." She gave Corvenus another sweet kiss upon his cheek and directed her eyes at me sincerely. 

"I suppose this is where I tell my side of the story. I knew exactly what Corvenus was when I was human. I had heard many rumors that vampires were fierce creatures of the night, relentless and the true product of Lucifer himself. However, all of that changed when he saved my life and his coven destroyed the guild, sparing all who remained alive after the slaughter. They were now heroes to me. They exposed themselves for our benefit and put themselves under the mercy of exposure, but I, as a believer in mercy and kindness, admired and loved them, especially Corvenus. I thanked them and asked of them to return to our village whenever they chose to. For I knew, their kind could never co-exist with humans openly. 

“I had lost everything that night. My family murdered and my home burned to ashes, but the villagers saw vampires for what they were assumed and no more; demons of the night. Despite being spared to see the light of another day, they still judged Corvenus and his coven as Lucifer's spawn. They all saw me with Corvenus, so close to him, they saw I was in love with a vampire and deemed me another product of the devil. I would have surely been burned alive or hung if left alone. I was unaware Corvenus could read thoughts, he heard every villager's decision to be true and almost killed them, but I begged him to spare their lives once more... and grant me another." She explained, placing her arms around her husband.

My vision became hazy. I wiped away at my eyes to discover I was crying. Her story was so bitter sweet, but it was such an overwhelming wheel of events that unfolded in just one night. They discovered eternal love just as Salem and I found ours. I suddenly, unconsciously reached for Salem's hand and found the coolness of his hand wrapped around mine.

"I'm so sorry. It's just... I'm speechless." I choked. I was weeping, but these were tears of joy.

"It's alright, dear. I believe Corvenus and I would cry as well for each moment we've spent with one another all these centuries, but unfortunately, vampires are incapable of crying. One human trait I'll admit I miss." Trinity confessed.

"So you became a vampire that following night?" I asked.

"Yes. Corvenus took me with him and his coven followed. We travelled far east where dawn was approaching. I feared for Corvenus and his coven's lives, they all laughed at me. He explained that vampires merely lose the majority of their power when they are confronted with the sun. Magic or another being of their own could only slay them. Corvenus then separated us from the rest and took me to a still lake, the moon dimming as the sun began to approach. He was the first to enter, he was so elegant. The water seemed to dance with him as he descended. His lower half was submerged. He then held his hand out to me," 

Trinity extended her arm as if inviting me to be at her side. "I began to trail him, the water was so cold, I practically shook like a leaf. When I reached him he held me close, his body was even colder, but it warmed my heart when he touched me. Do you remember what you said to me that night, my love?" She asked, gently brushing her cheek against Corvenus's own. 

He smiled playfully. They were ancients, yet carried their relationship as if they were young lovers in the heat of their romance, it was enlightening.

"How could I forget? I took you in my arms, holding you close to my still heart and whispered in your mind, 'Why do you seek death? That is all I can offer you.' " Corvenus smiled faintly. "And what did you tell me, Trinity?"

"I looked you in your eyes, which were silver as the moon at the time." Trinity replied. I had interrupted.

"Silver?" I was confused. Salem leaned my way slightly as he placed his cold lips upon my cheek, sending a wave of chills.

"It is the original color of vampire eyes who solely feed off of humans. There are others such as our clan, who feed off of animals and demons, result our eyes being crimson. We do however have a few who prefer human blood and are strictly under orders to feed from evil intent humans. Murderers, rapists, and so on." He explained

I nodded my head, understanding.

"Forgive my interruption." I bowed my head .

"You've no need to apologize. You are seeking to be educated in our way of life. We will teach you well." Corvenus promised.

"As I was saying," Trinity continued. "He awaited an answer, and I gazed upon him and spoke with my own mind. 'Death, is only the beginning for us. To live for eternity, forever young, is not what I care for. You, my angel of darkness, are all I care to live for. Grant me your immortal kiss. I see what is in your heart. You seek understanding, peace. You want what is said to never happen for creatures of the night and humans alike; unity. I strongly believe in your cause, for I wished the same for many years. Open the doorway for me, and together, we will create a new world of peace to protect humans and celestial alike. Perfect harmony.'  I kissed him to seal our fate. He was as a statue, and then, with the lightest touch of a feather, held me tightly." She explained, soft spoken. 

Trinity's eyes were closed, she wrapped herself with her arms, remembering their beautiful past. Corvenus now rose to meet my gaze and continued the story.

"I granted her what she desired, we promised ourselves to each other that night to be as one, for all eternity. I gave her my immortal kiss, knowing full and well the pain she would have to endure as she transformed. She surprised me. She held on to me with all of her human strength until the moment her heart ceased, the pain I am sure very excruciating, but never let out a single scream of agony. She was completely silent." Corvenus was remembering as well. His eyes now towards the ceiling, smiling. My grip on Salem's hand had tightened. I was truly moved. Love at first sight, destiny weaved around them, bound together, forever.

"When the pain was over, I awoke anew. I felt so many unknown sensations." Trinity explained. 

She held her hand in front of her, marveling at it. 

"I could hear what I could not as a human, smell so many scents I was never aware of, my vision was sharper than any animal in existence. The sun had risen and I stared straight at its marvelous light, astonished I did not turn to dust, my eyes did not waver from it. When Corvenus touched me, I was overwhelmed by the sensitivity of the touch, but the most noticeable, was the thirst. My throat burned and felt dryer than any dessert. I looked down to the water and saw my reflection. I was a completely different person, yet the same. I was beyond beautiful. My skin, as pale as the winter snow, the frizzy hair that was damaged from the raid, now lustrous and flowing, all of my scars received from my past life, vanished. I was taken over by my own beauty more than Corvenus. He marveled over me as a goddess to be worshipped. We were complete at long last and together, we traveled from land to land, seeking others of our kind who held the same desires Corvenus dreamed, and established it. Our clan has spread throughout the lands, to unite our supernatural world and protect the human world who live among us. That is the Valhahn's royal creed," She spoke proudly, now looking to Corvenus and Salem, then to me smiling. " You, my beautiful Victoria, shall inherit and uphold the family creed too one day."

I felt honored. The Valhahns were unlike any vampires I read or saw in movies. They were not creatures of the night who took delight in chaos and caused pain, they were angels. Fallen angels who seek a higher cause in the world of darkness, peace. To be accepted as one of them was incredible. I loved them so much. Salem rose from his seat, his hand still locked in mine and bowed to his parents.

"Thank you very much for telling your tale to Vicky. I'm very sure she enjoyed it, but unfortunately we must be going back to campus. Reality unfortunately is still rooted in her life." He teased. Corvenus rose from his seat and walked to me gracefully, kneeling down to me and embraced me.

"You are more than welcomed to return here at any time you choose. This is now your home as well. You are like a daughter to me, Victoria. If there is anything you will need, all you need do is ask or think it for that matter. I will hear you. The Valhahns will dedicate ourselves fully to your desires."

 Corvenus then lightly kissed both sides of my cheeks, then parted from me to be replaced with Trinity, who held me so delicately in her arms.

"Words cannot describe my joy of having you in our lives, Victoria. How beautiful and serene you are. You and I are going to grow very close I assure you. Take care of my son. He can be reckless at times and needs a strong voice of opinion." She mocked as she smiled at Salem, and kissed my forehead, departing from me as Corvenus did, taking his side. I rose to my feet and smiled blissfully.

"I love you all so much. Thank you... thank you. I will make it my goal to protect Salem and uphold your sacred family creed." I promised.

 Salem bellowed in laughter.

"You protect me? That's a twist. Shouldn't it be the other way around you think?" He questioned, smiling so playfully.

"I can take care of myself thank you very much. Even you need protection." I corrected him. 

His eyes became serious, but his smile never faded.

"I'll be the one doing the protecting. If you want to protect me, protect my heart." He requested sincerely.

"Forever." I promised. I inched forward to kiss him, he met me half way and sealed our promise.

"I'll remain on campus for the term, Father. I'll make arrangements to set up a dorm so I can remain closer to her. I won't take any chances." His voice was serious now. Corvenus's smile remained.

"It is for your love, Salem. You do not need my permission for that. Leave the boundaries of Crescent Meadows to us." Corvenus now, was instructing with authority. Salem bowed respectfully and we now were taking our leave, exiting the room and down the same corridor we came from.

"Are you afraid?" I asked him. 

I could see past his facade as he was smiled faintly. He turned to me slightly, his crimson eyes focused on me in awe. Was he making it easier for me to read him?

"How are you sure I'm afraid?" He asked curiously.

"You're taking extreme measures for my safety. I wouldn't be surprised if you considered sneaking in my dorm on occasions." I smiled, it was a pleasant thought.

"Actually, that was kind of the plan. I hope Alibeth won't mind." He chuckled to himself. 

My expression showed irritation.

"I'm sure she won't mind at all, the way she is, I'm sure she'd ask to join... I'll have to let her know you're claimed already." I giggled at the thought of her defeated expression when she was denied by the librarian. I truly loved Alibeth, but Salem was mine, every bit of him. I loved him unconditionally.

"Well, somebody's territorial." He laughed to himself, a swift elbow marked his side, but I joined him in laughter. 

"Shall I take you back home now?" He asked.

"This is home." I reminded him. He smiled with pride, sweeping me off my feet and into his arms, the world around me then became a blur. We were headed back to reality.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

151K 2.3K 13
The secret is out. Or is it? If Kara thought she knew everything there was to know about vampires, she was wrong. By the time she finds out the truth...
6.3K 311 9
A girl from our world dies and wakes up in Caroline's body before episode 1 of the Vampire diaries will she save her favorite characters or will she...
934K 24.7K 61
Vivienne didn't believe in vampires until she started to suspect her prince might be one. Which will she sacrifice - humanity or love? ...
3.7K 325 88
Poems by a person who has issues. Whether it is their, Depression, PTSD, or Anxiety, something is always bothering them. Writing about everything tha...