Ch. 15: Dance With the Devil of The Night

Editor Note: So this is the last chapter! However, the second book will begin to be posted in May/June. He has yet to decide if it will be a trilogy or a four book series. Please recommend and vote!

************************

Salem POV

We descended to the bottom of the great tree, nothing but darkness, and down pouring rain welcomed us. My vampire instincts cried out that there was a greater danger in this pit of despair that we so carelessly tossed ourselves in. Orion and I took the lead as we silently made our way deeper into the abyss as Anastasia and Artemis cover our backs. Without the slightest warning, all of my senses reached their peak as I instinctively arched into a feral crouch. Even Orion naturally crouched with his teeth bear. What the witches could not see, we saw with perfect clarity. Of all the hellish nightmares that awaited us on this desolate land of demons, we had uncovered the ancient demon menace that had overcome us before. Magnus, now laid upon the tattered bark and roots of the massive tree, lifeless. His jaw literally hanging from the last tendon of his face, his body had been impaled by countless wood that must have buried into him as he rocketed through the forest, even bits of stone had found their way into his waxed skin. I stood there astonished, in disbelief of what my eyes witnessed. Was Magnus truly dead?

Orion snarled viciously at the sight of our arch-nemesis. His thoughts were very clear to me as he too wondered whether the demon monstrosity was indeed dead. Neither of us felt his heart pulsating. 

Is he really dead, Salem? What the hell happened to him?” Orion questioned.

“That is exactly what I’d like to know as well, Orion. But I have a hunch.” I whisper.

Artemis and Anastasia stationed themselves to each Orion and my side as they strain to see into the darkness.

“What is it that you’ve discovered?” Artemis asks, peering into the black shade.

“Our instincts had been correct all this time. We’ve discovered the body of Magnus. Mutilated and lifeless. Whether he is truly dead or not, I do not know.” I say reluctantly. Something just did not sit right with this situation.

“What on earth could have been strong enough to devastate an ancient such as Magnus?” Anastasia pondered.

That theory was quite evident as my lips formed my father’s name, but was instead answered by the now resurrecting king of demons.

“Corvenus...” Choked the words from the torn jaw of Magnus, that now began to regenerate at an accelerate rate, his limbs and open flesh wounds healing almost instantaneously, and rose to his feet, walking towards the pale moon light. His tailored suit torn in many ribbons was now discarded. All that remained were his pants, his upper body revealed unforgiving scars only the likes of which a thousand years worth of struggle could tell. So the demon king could be injured it seemed. He took hold of his head as he snapped his neck this way and that, relocating the now healed jaw back in its place, and set his violet gaze upon the one person he’d thought he was rid of forever: me.

His eyes widened with great surprise and rage, but a devilish smile welcomed me all the same.

“My, my, my... You are just as resilient as your old man, little Salem. I was more than positive that there was no escape for you no matter what your father, the wolves, or any other supernatural could ever hope to achieve in rescuing you. How are you possibly alive!?” Magnus demanded with an outrage.

Despite the fear that began to spread throughout my body, I could not help but smile at his disappointment.

“Answer me you insignificant worm. How did you escape?” Magnus ordered again. His barking order resulted in bold laughter on Anastasia’s part.